the Rift

Goodbye, Love [Griffon Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
In the few escapes from the heat, in the northern reaches of the Frostbreath Steppe, sounds a heartbreaking call of a lover. The screech of an eagle fills the air, one of loss and a sorrow unknown to those who have not lost their other half. The claws of the winter landscape have grasped the body of a female griffin, tearing into her body with little resistance. Her mate, soaring around the peak upon which she had been speared, his holding in one of his massive claws a precious bundle - the child that still sleeps within its egg, not knowing that its mother is no longer in this world to greet them.

The male griffin soars in the air around the corpse of his beloved for hours, perhaps days, giving off choking calls of heartbreak, even as his muscles tire. Finally, giving into exhaustion, the male returns to the earth below, yellow eyes still locked onto the body of the dead female above. Gently he lays the egg beside him, unable to care for the child once it arises from its shelter into the cruel world. There would be no other mate for a griffin, either - their heart only opening once.

A cold awakening waits for the child, unless someone else find the sorry pair.

[ You have 7 days to enter the thread. Thread closes to participants on July 19th, 2012, 11:59PM HST. ]

Brooke Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Brooke
the envious snake

Brooke's ears twitched at the horrible screetch that made her flinch in horror. It was so sad and heartbreaking. One call she couldn't truly understand but in her heart the goodness showed and her eyes flicked open. She felt the need to help. That feeling was never available. Hooves started crashing to the earth as the pregnant mare made an attempt to cover the distance quickly. Hardy legs carrying two times the weight it normally would. There was two babies, close to delivery, in the mares stomach.
Snake earings bouncing harshly as her gait lost control. Each clash of hoof to earth another bounce aching her stomach. Rounding a corner she saw it, the bird descending to the heated ground below. She whispered slowly as she looked to the fathers eyes, "It will be alright..." she trailed off concerningly. The painted mare had no idea what happened to its mother but the fact it wasn't there she decided to give the father a slight smile. Who knows if he would understand her sympathy or chase her away...
The children in her stomach kicked harshly at her sides as she heaved to catch her breath. Gently lowering herself to the ground, knees landing carefully then a rump plumping to the slushy, heated snow filled, earth. Her eyes now locking on the egg. Reaching her nose out carefully the oval. "I will care for him? As I will care for my child." flicking an ear as a suggestion to look for the movements in her obesse belly.

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
Dearest parents,

It is with great pleasure that I inform you I have once again gone gallivanting off on my own. But I am much stronger now, my wings have grown to such lengths that they are able to carry my weight – sure I might not be able to do much more than glide and sometimes flap to gain speed and a few metres of altitude – but I am learning! Those exercises you gave me, father, I can finally see their usefulness now, as my wing joint gets thicker with muscles and my bodice more trim and lean, making me appear more streamlined than the fuzzy little filly I was before.

I wander the Frostbreath Steppe again, because its cooler climate attracts me near to it, my coat reflecting nothing but the clear skies above me again. I appear as a sky blue roan, bluer than you, mother, for your coat is a beautiful deep indigo, where mine is light and bright like the sky above. I do not mind you see, sometimes when clouds etch themselves upon me it itches, though not in an annoying way, more in a way that simply makes me aware of what the weather is doing without me having to see it first-hand – I could hide in a cave for a week and know exactly what the skies were up to every single day.

But I am getting off track. My gliding flight is interrupted, and I come to an abrupt landing, my ears distracted by the forlorn call of a strange creature. He is much like the being Merakerr, though male, that much I can tell, and well, different. I watch his motions, and feel his sadness as he settles by a body whom I can only assume is his mate. I approach him warily, nickering a sweet, sad little song to him, lowering my tiara. I know of loss, I mourned my uncle’s passing with my father – though I knew him not, the great love you had for Voltaic, father, I will miss he who I did not know.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” I say honestly, my speech having improved from the incessant shouting tones I usually employed and matured to a rich, kind accent. My electric blue eyes then turn to the egg he has tossed aside – this griffon was not like you, father, he could not find reason to live through what remained of his family. I wonder, father, would you wish to follow mother if she wandered to the next realm? You’ve told me of your parents, how one could not bear to live without the other – I would miss you father, both of you, should you decide to live and die that way – but I mustn’t focus on things that were yet to happen, no.

“Can I help?” I knew all too well that nothing could bring back his mate, so I clearly indicate the egg with my chiselled tiara as I ask the query.

Parents, I think today is going to be a day of lessons – just you wait until I tell you all about them.

Cirrus.

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Rishima Posts: 137
    World's Edge Moon Advocate
    Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
    Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
    A piercing scream tore the air, breaking the norther silence of the Frostbreath Steppe. Response was instant, instinctive; tiara was flung into the air, nostrils flared and searching as harsh and agonized vibrations reverberating against alert caverns. The noise terrified me; the cry, so primal and broken in its intensity, strummed a chord in my heart both foreign and familiar. How many days had it been since I broke down beneath the frozen arch, old memories and cruel scars overwhelming my defenses, sending waves of tormented emotion crashing against my chest and tearing apart my defenses? And now I felt all of my loss and pain and hurt magnified tenfold, vibrant tones bleeding across the sky.

I could not ignore such a cry.

Immense against the void of the Northern plains, the sound echoed; I followed it with my own onyx gaze, trying to pinpoint the source, calm beneath the frantic beating of blood against my skull. The first wave of shock had passed, and my mind retreated behind its carefully maintained walls of clarity and focus. Something catches my attention: dark, circling, crying. From so far, I cannot recognize the bird; it looks odd, graceful and larger than any eagle I had encountered. Hooves move, hesitant at first, then faster, and then I am running, moonkissed figure weaving swiftly through the melting snow, ebony gaze transfixed upon the sky. The growing figure dipped low, temporarily evading my sight. Worry beat against my brain, infiltrating the adopted focus, fueling my actions, injecting adrenalin through my bloodstream.

When, some minutes later, I reached my destination, the painted tragedy forced my breath to hitch. Against the stark blue of the cloudless sky, spiraling cliffs reached towards the blue ceiling, gorgeous and deadly. Upon the spire, a figure - distant, bloody, shattered. At their foot lay the creature I assumed had unleashed that summoning cry. Forefront of an eagle and and hindquarters of a cat, the animal would have been beautiful and feral, but for the pain that radiated from him. Beside him, an egg sat discarded, unloved, forgotten. He was broken, in mind and soul; I could see it, and it penetrated deep into my heart. It was odd, this sudden concern for a complete stranger, let alone one of a species I did not recognize, yet I felt some inexplicable kinship with the creature. He mourned. I feared that he would not emerge from his mourning.

I approach him, quiet, compassion in my eyes. There is no call for cloaks, and I left mine upon the snow when I took my first step towards the prone feline. Nose is dropped to the ground, abject and nonthreatening. My mind screamed, warning me off - what could I do? I ought to turn around now, to leave him in peace. And yet, the egg beside him spoke of a life that perhaps could not be fulfilled now, of a reminder that he would not want to live with... just as I had been unable to live with the reminder of my own pain. I blocked out the memories of what I had forgotten. Perhaps this child would give me a chance to fix the tears ripped in the fiber of my own being.

But I was getting ahead of myself. At the point of contact with the fallen beast, the only thoughts in my head were how to help the father, not if I might care for the child. Emboldened by my concern, I continued towards the hybrid, only stopping when he lay just feet away from me. "Gryphon," was murmured into the air, warmth of my breath blowing across the feathers upon his face, low and sympathetic. "Your cry called me here. I do not know you, but I would offer you my friendship in your time of need. What might I do, to ease your pain?"

[Image: RishiRef.jpg]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
    Helovian Ancient
    Stallion :: Equine :: ::
    They came.

Like flashes of light before the griffon, their bodies slither before him. Broken, anguished, the male does not care to see the living as he once may have. Curiosity is promptly clamped shut in the wake of his partner's death, and he is none too interested in opening it for a bunch of nosey equines. Another sorrowful screech answers Brooke, whose eyes are targeted only on his child, the only existing reminants of his former love besides that of a mangled corpse. Even as her speckled nose reaches for the shell of the egg, the father protectively clasps onto it, pulling it closer to his side, eyes aggressively watching her now.

The next, a mere child, wonders up, her bright eyes full of life and her body a reflection of the sky above, something he would have found lovely a day earlier. While the living are still cloaked in shadow for the griffon, he is quite envious of her natural joy. Oh, to be a youth without responsibility again. There is a glimmer of understanding in her eyes of his grief, though. Perhaps she has felt the sting of loss before or has watched it take over others. He thinks about this quietly as he watches her, even as she apologizes to him, as if she knew what he had lost. She asks if her aid is needed, and sternly, the griffon shakes his feathered head, though his eyes are not so angered as they had been for Brooke.

The last mare truly is a shadow. She is cloaked in the finest garb of black, yet the silver threads of her hair tell him she might once have been touched by the moon. The griffon tilts his head as she speaks, her words calm and soft much like the others, but there is an understanding there that was lacking in the others. The father listens carefully to what she says, their language was hard for him to comprehend at times, but he would try. He would try for this mare, who also mourns. "Kupia dead," he manages out of his mouth, referring to the fallen lover squewered above. "No longer want live. Child lives. Not I."

A soft, broken coo falls out of his lips at the company around him. It was nice to have a friend to talk to, yet she was the only one who seemed less than interested with his child. "You watch child, moon lady?"

Congratulations, Rishima! The griffon has chosen you to take the egg. You have two weeks to complete your hunting!