the Rift

[EDGE] Impending Storm

Larka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Larka stood at the edge of a cliff, high up in the mountains, watching the rain descend. It was dry up here, or at least it was at the moment. The rain had not yet come this way. She couldn't see anyone or anything from the point at which she placed her hooves. And if there were any other beings, the green foliage hid them from view. Larka snorted, laying down with her long legs (somewhat) tucked under her. She didn't dare lay her head down, but her eyes shut momentarily. She was tired, but didn't feel like taking a nap. Especially with the storm so close.

It was strange, being out of the storm's reach. In a way it felt like she was above it all, and that she might slip out of the storm. But soon enough, a small sprinkle begun, not like the heavier rain falling below. Larka welcomed the coolness that the rain brought; it was much better than the heat that was here every day. Larka had been here for a couple days now, and she had not seen one horse. She wondered if it was the storm keeping them away, if they were just that careless of their borders, or if there were none at all. Yes, she was a lone filly, but Larka had not been part of a hard for several months now. The only other companion she had once had was Karah, who had been dead for many weeks. The memory of her lost friend pained her, and Larka pushed it away before she was driven into further grief. At the same time, she couldn't help but wonder what it may be like to belong, and if it was better than being alone all the time. She certainly didn't like being alone, though it had its ups. But sometimes a horse could go crazy when they had only themselves for company.
~
It was when the first of the rains began to descend upon the mountain top that Larka made her decision. She slowly rose to her feet, moving quite stiffly and gingerly at first. After all, it had been quite a while since she had stood, considering the filly had been in the same spot for at least a night. Her sense of time wasn't very sharp, although Larka was young. That's wrong! It was only a few hours, Larka thought.
As the young horse stretched her limbs, she began to be able to walk a little bit more easily than before. Though the cliff side was steep, not to mention slippery, since it was raining, Larka had a hard time navigating. Hooves were not the best for scaling mountains, she decided, especially when it was stormy.
At last, she made it far enough down that the ground was even, and Larka broke into a steady, rhythmic trot. She wasn't currently a member of a herd, and being new in this land, didn't know if any even did exist. The same thoughts repeatedly cycled through the filly's head as she ran. Having no other companion to talk to, though, it wasn't like she had much else to do. And Larka could hardly see the earth beneath her own body, anyway. Mist swirled around her, and at the realization that she was practically blind, she slowed her pace. Larka wondered exactly where she was. She really hadn't bothered to find out, but if she wanted to find shelter, she ought to. Inside, she hoped that there'd be another horse or herd that would find her and possibly take her in. But what was to come, she didn't know. Larka stepped carefully now, descending into the foothills, with no idea what she might find...

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
No day had ever been finer than the morning I awoke to after a night of horror. Sickening dreams seemed to haunt me nightly now that I had a small filly that I lovingly called my daughter. Tamira seemed to be a bit out of sorts in dealing with her first hand at motherhood but I couldn’t blame her in the least. As it appeared, I often dealt with the worries of having my first child as well. However, I was more than elated to head off into the shadows of the Threshold to try and rid myself of the darkened images of my sweet Essetia being impaled by some vicious creature or another. The idea turned my stomach and I was eager to forget such troublesome doubts- she was safe in the Edge after all. I knew that my family would see to it that she was properly looked after along with Tamira. My mate? I hoped that I could call her such after seeing rampant trails of confusion within her ordinarily warm gaze. Once again, I found myself running from the possibility of finding her heart elsewhere; how it would kill me to discover such unfortunate news. How it would kill me…

The quiet rumble of an approaching storm lit my nerves with a dull flame for I was eager to see the heat of summer dissipate, if even for a small time. However, when the rain began to touch upon the dried earth, I was a bit discouraged from returning to the Threshold after countless trips before. The coolness was soothing upon my back but with the cold came a doubt that I had not recognized before. Back in the Edge, my child sat waiting and I was more than reluctant to remain without her.

Errant shadows danced across the path ahead of me and if I hadn’t been completely aware of everything that surrounded me, I might have missed the small golden filled just through the trees. The sight of her made me still, as ironic as it was I wasn’t sure how to greet her. She was not my Essetia but it made my heart plummet in my chest to think that my beautiful daughter would ever have to face a place like this in her life. My approach was slow enough and while my head was low, a soft grunt escaped my lips in some queer attempt to ease her of my presence. “Come now young one, no reason to remain in the Threshold waiting on the storm to blow you away.

OOC| I'm sorry, this is not my best... but I'm having the worst writer's block right now.

Larka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Wow, I'm sorry I didn't reply! I never saw this post. I'll get to posting right away.