the Rift

An Offering [Plague/Cassiopeia]

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

ENGINEERS CREATE THAT WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN

Everything was white. Cloven hooves, massive in size, padded through the ice as wind whistled past his beard. A chill ran through his body, unused to such harsh weather in the season of the sun. His leonine tail swept like a metronome in his muscular wake, dipped in bronze. The marking that ran up his leg and over his left shoulder moved fluidly with his figure; he was built for war but quite the opposite in mind.

The engineer's bronze eyes scanned the mountains, brain working like a well oiled timepiece. He was a creature of keen and brutal intelligence and little awareness for anything else. Social graces, generally polite behavior and suppression of opinion were completely lost on him, but he was not unaware of the necessity of keeping bridges unburned. Despite the fact that he believed Psyche to be an incompetent bitch, she had managed to lead the herd to a new land.

If only he could find the....

Ah.... the entrance.

A smirk crossed Ulrik's dark lips, and his bronze eyes locked onto a narrow mountain pass, barely visible beneath layers of snow. Nature was clever and the most stunning designer. She managed to ensnare and captivate his mind in her beautiful and stunning proportions and patterns almost daily - which accounted for the time that he often spent standing and staring into space.

The stallion then pressed forward, hoping that his offering of a Pegasus oracle would be enough to get back onto the Plague's schedule. Though he remained a devout racist (that ran in his blood), his irritation with Psyche had caused him to become distant with the happenings of the small but rather volatile group. Certainly they would need an engineer? He had not run across another creature who could manipulate metal and shock into such artistic pieces as his own creations.

[OOC: Leaving this open ended in case Phantom wants to add anything/make up how Cass was stolen?]

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
image by jouste @ flickr.com</style>

"Ulrik?" Snö appeared, a silver ghost on the horizon, making her border patrols cautiously. Very few had ever appeared, or dared to appear, in the Basin, protected by the mountains tall and cold, and the frozen wasteland of bones that lay outside their doorstep, most particularly in the freezing embrace of the bitter winters that slaughtered any that remained outside for too long. The Aurora Basin was perhaps the only sheltered place, the air warm from the curls of vaporous warmth off the mineral hot springs, the grass an emerald green.

Why was he here? Snö genuinely liked Ulrik, but if she recalled correctly, he had shunned her mother after taking hold of the Plague when her father left. A slight frown creased her creamy forehead- why had he left? She couldn't recall him ever talking to her as for why. In fact, it struck her rather... Psyche-like. Perhaps the only reason she properly liked Ulrik was the fact he had gifted her with Tarak, the wolf she was to become. The metal wolf prowled at her side now, gleaming bronze and gold in the light.

In any case, Snö wasn't completely comfortable at the idea of driving him off. And she doubted Ulrik would make the trek out for no reason at all. Ah... a pegasus. Why was this? She smelled of Throat, distinctly, and Snö's curiosity grew. "PSYCHE!" Snö bellowed, dipping her head towards Ulrik, shifting her frosted horn to the left in order to show she meant no aggression. Lowering one's head and centering the horn could always be taken as a rude, if not downright challenging, sign. "Tarak has served me well, Ulrik. How are you?" Snö eyed the tall, dark engineer, recalling the memory of him giving her Tarak with something akin to fondness.

snö.   </style>
& when she whispers, your blood shall run cold.</style>

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
THE PLAGUE
Psyche

Snö's presence confused the shadow-mare. It was odd for the youngling to stay in any one place for so long, and it was still surprising for the Empress when she glanced over her herd and her daughter's light pelt was found. She lacked many motherly emotions, of course, aside from pride. After all, Snö was her creation, and she had grown into a lovely, racist, filly, one that any mother should be proud of. And of course the shade was glad to have such a one as a member of her herd, a member of her organization. Snö was proving herself to be quite worthy of the title of princess, quite worthy of her inclusion into the Plague. But the shadow-mare did not know if she should tell her daughter such. What was the protocol for talking to one's offspring, anyway? Should she express her love (ha!) or remain distant? Should she demand more from Snö simply because the flicka was her kin?

It was far too much to worry about. Still, when her daughter's voice echoed over the snows and through the valley that was their home, the jackal's auds pricked eagerly toward the sound. It was not a scream of fear, not the cry of intruders. It did, however, call her, and there was a sense of urgency, and so she set off at a canter, her pistons beating a rhythm into the hard ground beneath her. It was a nice day, with the sun glaring down from the skies above, a gentle breeze caressing her pelt as she ran. Well, it was a nice day to she who was used to the chilly northern lands. For any southerners that chose to venture to her lands, they would find it rather frigid for Tallsun.

Whatever she had expected when Snö came into view, it was not what she saw. The tall, dark stallion that stood with her daughter had rather rudely and loudly denounced her leadership. She supposed that, in all fairness, she couldn't really blame him. After all, she had left them first. So why was he here now? Was he back to grovel at her feet, having realized that she was truly in power to stay? If so, her respect for the engineer would decrease exponentially. She would rather he have stayed with them even through the difficult times - after all, who was to say that he would not run off again when things got rough? Even more surprising, though, was the pegasus with him. She had the small of sand and heat on her, and the shade placed her in the Throat. Amber gaze looked her mare over, then flickered to Ulrik, unreadable. "Ulrik," she said in way of greeting. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Talk talk talk."
CRUX
Image Credit
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
"PSYCHE!"

But you couldn't really call for one without the other coming, and Mauja slowly raised his head from the grass he'd been lipping at. A few strands, glistening with his saliva, stuck out from his dark mouth as he frowned at the horizon, before slowly dragging them in with the deliberate movements of his jaw. They gave way between his molars, were ground down, and he wondered what had his daughter calling out for her — surely it was not affection she wanted? He wasn't worried, though, for nothing in the summons sounded like fear or desperation. Curiosity stirred within, and a twinge of jealousy. Why call only for one parent, but not the other? Why call only for one leader, but not the other? (Silently he berated himself; acting as Bane and Lord was something he did out of habit, and as no one had challenged him about it...) Flicking his tail he gave a quiet sigh and abandoned his patch of lovely grass, and strode off towards the east. Riding the cool winds above was Irma, somewhere out of sight, but her interest had been stirred, too, by Snö's call. So much faster than Mauja she arrived, locking her wings in a glide as she spiraled within a thermal, peering down at the scene below, but not divulging what she saw. Mauja was on his way already, and as it was nothing to worry about, why should she let him know?

And soon enough he saw them for himself. The varnish coat of Snö, his growing daughter, the midnight black of Psyche the Empress, and, surprisingly enough, two familiar shapes he hadn't thought to see again. One was Ulrik, their bronze-marked Engineer whom he had not seen in quite a while, and the other was none other than Cassiopeia, of the Dragon's Throat. Why on earth did he come here, dragging her along? And where had he been? "Ulrik!" Mauja called out, his 'brows slightly raised and something light within his pale blue eyes. While Ulrik certainly hadn't been close to Mauja, he was devout, and unafraid to speak his mind. So where had he gone to, when the herd had gone north? What had he been doing, while Mauja was gone? Focusing his eyes upon both Psyche and Snö in turn he gave them nods of greetings, before striding up to the tall, taciturn machine-maker. "It's been too long," he said quietly, aiming to brush his soft muzzle against Ulrik's, before allowing his gaze to slide away, onto the roan mare behind him, and her large, feathery wings.

Cassiopeia had seemed a gentle soul to him when they had met so long ago, a loving, caring mother, mate to the respected General Azzuen. Why had she been taken? For what purpose? Had she done something to offend the engineer, or was it merely for fun? What on earth would Kri say? But Kri had betrayed him — she had said it with regret as she stood with her army at his doorstep, and he felt his teeth grind together. It was only out of the desire to not have war upon him before he was ready that he respected the mare, and sought to avoid giving her reason to attack. This kind of provocation.. why? Would she be able to trace it to the Basin, the snowy northern stronghold? "Cassiopeia," he greeted her in a pleasant voice, his quick eyes darting to the others, wondering what they had planned on doing with her.. if they had had any plan at all. Call him weak, but he did not want to see the likeable mare harmed, but, as he reminded himself, this was Psyche's herd now... Slowly he drew a step forward, tilting his head to the side as his warm, but cautious eyes, ran across her body, trying to see if she had been injured.
Our souls entwined and unafraid
Credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

Sometimes you don't realize how much you rely on someone's protection until that certain someone is gone from your life.

Azzuen is gone. I can feel his presence grow weaker with each passing day. I used to be able to feel him all around me, as if he was always hovering in the air above my head - just breathing, listening. I knew it was only a matter of time until he was gone from my life entirely. I feel alone now as I navigate through this wasteland of ice. I can feel the chill of winter creep up my bones, sinking into the very marrow. Frost clings to my breath like a curse. My joints ache. My wing has been fractured once again, only this time it was no freak accident, but the hellish intent of a stallion I had the misfortune of encountering. He intruded upon my sanctuary, the last place I could feel that he was still with me.

He attacked my daughter, my child, intent on ending her life. I never knew I was capable of feeling so much disgust for a single being. I never knew I was capable of Hate.
I hate him. He has taken me from my daughters, the last meaningful thing I have to remember him by. I hate him. He left me... left me alone, and...

What is wrong with me. I'm losing myself.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. Azzuen was taken from me.
He left me.
Why did he leave me? We were meant to grow old with one another, watch our children grow into beautiful mares and have children of their own.

Why have the Gods punished me so?

I don't even have the energy to cry. It is not out of sadness. I am angry. I am angry at life, angry at the Gods, angry at Azzuen, angry at this faceless coward of a man who has forced me from my home. I have so much anger. Part of me just wants to surrender, but I know that is selfish and weak. I must be strong, for the sake of my kin, for the sake of my sweet Azzuen...

The clank of metal is such an irksome noise. My muscles are sore from limping. I find it is impossible to walk without one from the restriction of my gait.
Some sort of mechanism has been bound to my foreleg. You see, this stallion, he is some sort of artisan, a manipulator of metal. You don't actually think I'm following him willingly, do you? I already tried to escape, which actually caused my limp in the first place. It would appear that galloping locks the device...
Did I mention how much I hate this bastard?

I groan quietly in anger. My mane hangs in a disheveled heap over my eyes, my head hung low as I watch the back of the bastard's hooves rise and fall. I wonder if he would notice if I just turned and walked away - no negotiation, no hassle. We could forget all about this, forget the part where I was abducted from my home, and I could go back to Cirrus and Azulee. He could resign to whatever hole in the ground he crawled out of and things could be good again - or, at least, as good as they will ever be again, now that am without my dearest companion.

Soon enough the voice of another pierced the air. I didn't realize another had approached us in my inattentiveness, and I jerk my head upward to see her.
She is young - around the same age as Cirrus. A bronze beast prowls at her side. It is not composed of flesh. It's metallic sides glimmer dimly in the smothered sunlight, and I cannot help but feel a hint of curiosity. I observe the exchange between the two quietly, noting that she refers to the Artisan as Ulrik. A noble name for a stallion who seems to severely lack in that department.

A black mare arrives on scene. She wreaks of nobility. I can see it in the way she carries herself, the arrogant lilt to her words, the vain manner in which she lifts her head. Already I do not like her, though it may simply have to do with her association with the stallion. My ears swivel backward momentarily as I watch her eyes scrutinize me. She is a difficult to read, though that does not stop me from trying.

A flash of black against white alerts me to the approach of yet another, more familiar individual. His name eludes me, but those spots... that cold shimmer in his ice blue eyes; how could I forget that?
He utters my name after exchanging a few words of greeting to the others. I say nothing, only avert my gaze, a puff of smoke curling from my nostrils. My expression is one of anger and sadness. I do not wish to be here. The cold does not suit me. I yearn to bask in the warmth of the sun, to feel the golden sand squelched beneath my hooves, to hear the the soft panting of the wind in my ears. I wish to embrace my children, but more than anything else I wish for something I know I will never be delivered - I wish to see Azzuen...

I feel tears burning behind my eyes.

No, I cannot cry now. I cannot let such a weak emotion peak through; not at this moment. There is no time for such things now.

Ulrik smiled, if you could call it that, at the little unicorn spawn of Mauja's who was still toting around one of his machines. He could see the gears in its side start to wear. Oil stains tarnished the otherwise pristine and polished sides. The young creature spoke to him (the live one, that is), and he tilted a dark ear, a brow raised on his wild face. "Well, but the journey from the Throat's borders was longer than I wanted." The stallion was not tired, simply irritated. Dealing with emotional women was like running nails on a chalkboard; it made you cringe and ultimately got you nowhere. He was glad the little one called for Psyche because he would have stood on the threshold until his horns froze over in waiting; he was not one for yelling. But when he did yell...

"You? How are you?" he asked, remembering that he was supposed to reciprocate conversation. Moments later, Psyche appeared, and he was at least pleased that she was giving some time to her herd now instead of running off and pushing children out of her gut. Needless to say, Ulrik's concept of bearing children from the female perspective is vastly off. She asked a question, and he answered, jerking his head to the shackled pegasus who was standing nearby, tethered.

"I brought her; for... eh... you know?" he said, trying to keep the Plague secret. Bronze eyes danced around from side to side, seeing if there were any listeners. "She is the Dragon's Throat eh... oracle, diviner... you know, of those who speaks with the gods."

Then, Ulrik saw Mauja approach and he quickly stiffened his stance, not wanting to appear an unkempt outcast who had fallen from grace. The bronze and charcoal stallion was glad that his pale leader had returned; something about women in a position of power made his hackles bristle. Both of his ears tilted forward curiously when Mauja moved closer into his personal space until he realized that his leader was attempting a normal greeting. Ulrik returned the nudge awkwardly, a charcoal ear shifting to the side. "Too long indeed; I am glad you have returned." The words were not meant as a slight to Psyche, but the implication rested there between the lines.

"Oh, you know her name?" he asked, furrowed his brows and turning to his blue prisoner. She had fought, but his stature and abilities had won out; she had not stood much of a chance. In fact, the mare was a fool to have fought so long; she practically injured herself. Why would no one come willingly?

Then, he stared out at caves in the distance, gaze narrowing as his mind began to wrap around blue prints and ideas, designs and creations. The rest of the cage was already made by rock. All the entrance would need was a gate and some sort of mechanism to make it open. A machine. Simple. And then, he could drop off the blue prisoner and go about his merry way.

"Have you ever thought of putting a gate on one of those cave entrances to make a prison?" he asked, gaze dancing between the eyes of Psyche and Mauja curiously.

Ascended Helovian

[ was asked to skip Snö, and Rayo agreed to it as she's eaten by life :c ]

Snö stood cold and haughty; Psyche dark and terrible, allowing Mauja, who knew the prisoner, to take charge for the moment. Why, he didn't quite know, but as he glanced at her black face she merely seemed thoughtful, though he knew her well enough to see the nastiness beneath when she glanced at Cassiopeia. No doubt she was pleased Ulrik had brought her such a fine treasure, and something about it made him feel half-sick. Shaking it off with a slight twitch of his head he remembered Daltoff returning, and d'Artagnan's words — even Ophelia's. It seemed that whoever he had been, he'd been charismatic indeed. Ulrik had disappeared after he had, yet here he was, saying he was glad Mauja had returned. Since when had the taciturn engineer been glad? And why did he, the Frost-Skull, have such a hard time getting it into his thick head that he was wanted, needed, respected? "So am I," he responded in a heartbeat, drifting to the side and speaking Cassiopeia's name.

She didn't look at him. She didn't acknowledge him. "I met her before," he confirmed to her captor, seeing the metal contraption around her leg. He couldn't know its exact use but had his guesses, and given the state she was in.. well. If he had to pick anyone he did not want to be captured by, it was Ulrik. With all the things the man could do, and his clear lack of conscience, he'd be an efficient, ruthless guard. And, it seemed that she had learned that, the hard way, though.. she seemed sad — sad in a way a prisoner ought not to be sad. Angry, yes, he could understand that, perhaps frustrated at not being where she wished to be, with her child, but something about the sad cast to her blue features seemed soul deep... Pitying her, he did not reveal to the others she had a child and an important mate, not wishing her to hear such things; the Plague would be told, of course, but if he could spare her worries he would.. for now, even though some childish part of him was affronted she hadn't even deigned to return his greeting.

But he wasn't petty enough to turn all butthurt about it.

Ulrik's voice snapped him out of his thoughts, and he looked aside from the captive Pegasus. It seemed he'd been thinking, too, saying something which was vaguely foreign to Mauja, but obviously the nature in which an engineer would think. Briefly he glanced down at Snö's metal wolf. It had endured a lot.. it was hardy. Then, his eye traveled up to Psyche, flashing her the smallest of grins before looking back to Ulrik. If they could just lock Cassiopeia up, it'd be so much better, so much easier — there would be no need to beat her into submission. They could keep an eye on her, and he could make sure she fared decently. They'd have to make sure there was some way to lead water in, and food, and Mauja frowned slightly. Sure, the Basin wasn't the nicest, most hospitable herd around.. but to stack their prison full of bodies? He wasn't sure it was what they wanted. So either they find a way to get nutrients in, or.. or Ulrik would have to construct some kind of collar-and-leash, by which a guard could bind their prisoner and take them out to feed.

That could be discussed later. Just having a place to dump Cassiopeia would be enough for now. "Actually, I haven't," he admitted with a wry smile, trying to catch Ulrik's bronze eye. "But then again, I am not an engineer." He cast a last glance at Cassiopeia, wondering if she'd remain sullen even if he approached her alone, before moving up closer to Psyche. He could tell by her face she wasn't opposed to the idea, and come to think of it, he couldn't dredge up anyone he knew who would be. "Could we contract you for one?" His voice light, half-teasing, but he did not wish to assume Ulrik would do it out of the goodness of his heart; if he wanted payment, Mauja would find a way to.
Credits

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
THE PLAGUE
Psyche

[OOC | YAY. I'm back!]

Somehow Mauja’s appearance did not surprise her. Should it? After all, they had quickly become one and the same in the weeks since his return in a way that she did not quite understand. It was not the heated union of lovers, nor was it the cool bond of leaders – it was something else entirely, something that perhaps some would call ‘friendship.’ The Ice King, he had once been, and after her own desertion she had been afraid that his heart had been sealed to her for good. After all, she had let him down – no, more than that, she had hurt him in a way that she hadn’t thought she was capable of, if only because she had not understood the bond that had begun to blossom between them. She still didn’t quite understand what had been or what would be – hell, she didn’t understand what they were at present, either.

And so his presence was understood, almost expected. What surprised her, though, was that he seemed to know the prisoner. ”Cassiopeia.” His voice was pleasant, and the shade wondered if perhaps a small part of him regretted the capture of one he knew. But she dismissed it, as she always would, knowing that he was loyal to their cause. Or, rather, assuming that he was, seeing as she had no reason to doubt it. She turned her attention to the captured mare – what thoughts were held behind those too-clear blue-green orbs? It is clear that she was unhappy, but hatred did not sit in her gaze. Curious. What other emotion could be riding inside one that had so clearly been forced from her home?

The diviner ignored Mauja, in turn spiting the Empress. It would seem that she would grow offended for him, though she managed to hold her tongue in cheek. You will respond, she wanted to say. The Bane of the Plague warrants more respect. But she would not, could not say it – if only to keep their secret. It would seem that her desire to hold the silence of the Plague was mirrored by Ulrik, who seemed unwilling to make any real allusion to it; she simply nodded regally, understanding, taking in the information that he had provided. The ensuing exchange between Ulrik and Mauja was largely ignored as she studied the caves in the mountains. Of course she had thought of turning the rock into a prison, not that she would have been able to make it so. At least, not without Ulrik’s assistance.

”The thought had crossed my mind a time or two,” she told the engineer with a smile, her orbs flitting to Mauja as he moved to stand beside her. ”Not that I would have known how to make it happen.” Mauja asked for a contract, to which Psyche nodded her approval. Perhaps they would be lucky and he would build one out of loyalty; but if not, they would find a way to pay. The benefits of such a machine would far outweigh the costs in the long run.

"Talk talk talk."
CRUX
Image Credit
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

[[Skipping Cass due to time; She is welcome to post just after]]

Ulrik's lips curled briefly when Mauja mentioned seeing the pegasus once before, and he grunted slightly. "Sounds like a nightmare," he commented, glaring back at the blue skyrat. Then, his attention focused entirely on the cave entrance, and he furrowed his brows. Cassiopeia still had the bindings on her legs, so he was confident that she was not going anywhere, especially with Psyche and Mauja standing to close. So, he wandered closer, finding that the cave was appropriately lined with rock. Excellent.

The wry smile and gentle offer for payment and the subtlety was completely lost on the intelligent brute. He was already diving into the sea of madness, consumed by his one goal of created a gate. "No need," he replied absently, glancing at the two of them before stalking off, stride more like a lion with the way his tall, muscular withers rolled beneath his charcoal hide.

Ulrik chose a cave that was not too large and not too small with solid rock on a narrow entrance. He inspected the inside to make sure that the small cut-out was not actually a massive room that, perhaps, could lead to tunnels for escape. No, it was entirely solid. Good. The stallion strode back out into the light and took a deep breath, closing his eyes as his mind constructed the pattern, the blue print off of which his magic would work.

Metal leaked out of ore veins in the mountain, and it began to take shape. The engineer stood perfectly still, eyes still closed. Parallel metal bars stood vertically, attached by metal cross beams that then punched their way into the rock, broken only by metal hinges on one side. Large, durable metal hinges that were locked from both sides. Finally, the locking mechanism.

He installed a little machine and a visual sensor that, after a few moments, stood waiting, pulsing a little, red light. Ulrik opened his eyes and then looked back, nodding his head over. "Let me teach you how to program faces into the locking mechanism. Only those you allow it to recognize will have access to open the gate. The gate itself is shut electromagnetically; without a proper visual, escape should be impossible."
Ascended Helovian

[ if anyone disagrees with something in this post, let me know! <3 ]

It seemed that their approval was all Ulrik needed; without a backward glance the Engineer abandoned his post by Cassiopeia and drifted closer to the rim of the mountains, where dark cavern mouths gaped. Mauja raised his 'brows and looked at Psyche in vague amusement. Ulrik had never been quite normal, and it seemed that his keen mind had latched onto the task of creating a prison, forgetting all else. Not that it surprised Mauja — he knew quite well that the engineer was prone to acting in these rough ways. It was a refreshing change sometimes, to be around someone who skipped the niceties and didn't beat about the bush. Ulrik told you what was on his mind; he didn't grow bitter and inflamed. At least, that was the impression the frosty one had.

"No need," he said, and Mauja smiled wryly, not bothering to reply. It wouldn't surprise him if Ulrik would've built it just for the sake of getting to build something complex. "Seems we're lucky," he murmured to Psyche, before trailing after the black mechanic, curious to see what he was doing, and where their prison would be located. The wind tugged playfully at his mane, and he cast a look over his shoulder, making sure that Snö was staying with their prisoner, as he had a feeling Psyche would come along to watch, too. After a moment Ulrik seemed to settle on a cave. Mauja had waited patiently outside, and a few yards off, while the engineer checked the interior. Bright-eyed, almost like a child, he watched as the bronze-marked beast came out again, closing his eyes, and for a moment he almost seemed peaceful, not so gruff, when he lost himself in the magic.

He even looked handsome.

Then Mauja snorted, mostly to himself, and looked at the magic taking place instead of the magician. Metal bars forced themselves from the mountain face, settling across the cavern's mouth and barring entrance — or exit. Some contraption took shape and Mauja's head tilted to the side, wondering what it was, but Ulrik's bronze eyes opened and his voice carried through the silence. Most of what he said was gibberish to Mauja, probably related to machine-making, but the pale stallion didn't let it faze him. He nodded solemnly, before looking over to Snö and Cassiopeia once more. "Snö," he called. "Make sure Cassiopeia is out of sight and hearing." He'd rather not let someone wander away with the knowledge of how to program faces into their prison lock — it'd be quite counterproductive if a rescuer could just get it to know their face and steal all their prisoners. Once he was sure both daughter and pegasus were out of the way, he turned back to Ulrik and nodded.
Credits