the Rift

Sing Something New

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

G l a c i e r s ... m e l t i n g

Pain. Each day there began a new degree of it. First short lived, barely enough to cause notice. When it stopped she would gain a bit of relief, continuing to do as she was seeing it as early signs of getting ready. How much time she had she did not know, but it didn't matter. She felt like a ticking bomb, and there was only one way this child would get here. That was all she was sure of, and the idea hit her hardest when her sides acted like they were caving in on her. This recent week they were hurting worse, lasting a little longer than before. The mare would catch herself holding her breath, wondering if this was it when they would again subside. Carrying her composure she would continue hoping to remain a little longer.

Faelene almost thought she would. The last few rises of sun she had spent the morning resting, and the only movement was from the child trying to stretch in the cramped, shrinking world. Soon she thought, feeling they were both not about to get any more comfortable. Was there a perfect day for birth? When would it happen? Anxious she did not leave the Basin knowing what a long cold walk she would be faced with. There was no safe place, but here in her thoughts. Making a newborn trek the snow and the pass was not an appealing idea. Silently she scoffed at herself. Overbearing mother was not a title she wanted to carry. Was she the only one who thought the word baby itself was too fragile or was it marred by images of her past? Shaking out her neck, she was confident the foal would be blessed by it's lineage, and tried to let her mind quiet. The passing of time was wearing on her, and beneath the cloudy sky, threatening of rain Faelene took a walk to the lake.

The air was pleasant on her dark skin, cool compared to the spotless skies of the season. Eyes breaking through the green branches, they caught patches of the grey heavens. She wouldn't mind if it rained, she doubted a drought here, but would hate to see any of the lands in the same condition as last Tallsun. The lady began to weave through the forest, but she wouldn't make it to the lake. A great tightness wrapped around her barrel, contouring her dark face. Somewhere she felt her knee scrape the ground, her her teeth ground together in a screech, and she tried to breath through the sudden spasm trying to see the ground at her feet. Faelene didn't feel here or there for a moment. When it did ease she noticed she needed to find a more open spot. Hurrying before she was hit with another she found the small clearing that was her favorite, hidden in the timbers but good space with thick,tall grass. Another jolt strikes her and she finds moving makes them a lot easier to take. "One step, two step" she repeats over and over until the next hit.

Then is the great debate should she call for another? For him? Or is it better alone? There is a want for comfort, but she wants to deny herself that. The red maned isn't solidly convinced all will end well, and at this point she expects little. Hope was an awful thing, and it seems better to expect no more warm voices. Quickly, silver hooves begin to dip, and legs begin to sway. In this state she doubts she could she make a normal sound, and how tight she has her lips, stubborn not to let out any unholy sound, a blood curling scream out. If she could have one thing it was to at least get this foal here with dignity.

No more can the Unicorn stand, and gladly she falls to her knees. There is wetness on her neck, a light foam on her chest from the rapid pace of her lungs. The foal has moved, and a faint, yet high cry she fights the pain and bears down. Through her efforts she can finally feel the change. The mare doesn't glance, she rocks herself to a stand while shooting down a shot of air, turning to thoroughly check her newborn. Faelene begins to lip at the protective layer, fondly cleaning the mauve face, seeing the little swirls of blue hair. Love at first sight she believes in this moment. "Nice to meet you Sielu," she murmurs as one proud mother.

<3 Sielu. If someone else would like to join please message me. :3
[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

Warmth. Protection. For a few short months the unborn received everything it would need from its mother; it absorbed sounds and light. My eyes had opened to witness that I was immersed in a hazy liquid; my mouth gapped soundless and breathless. Helpless to even take a breath without the cord of life tethered by nature. My hollow was an interesting place, lighter and darker depending on what happened in the outside world. I would later learn that these changes were called day, and night.

I would learn?

That’s right, because this body wasn’t born yet.

A simple mind was barely capable of realizing whom my form leeched from. Growing limbs would stretch, pushing against the sides of this slowly shrinking haven. I would lean back, close my underdeveloped orbs and sleep. Stirring when baby ears caught the sounds of muffled speech. The sounds of my mother, and sounds of others obviously talking. I found myself unknowingly focusing hard on her voice, somehow it was more appealing than the others. Instinct declared that I know that voice and smell long before my time of entrance.

Eventually this ever shrinking world grew cramped, so much so that I could no longer fully extend my body at will. Not long after---was when it started, the tightening and pushing. Luckily I wouldn’t remember my birth, nor the span of time spent inside my mothers womb. But…what happened next, perhaps I would hold to memory in the smallest of ways. My swimming pool vanished, leaving me shoved against raw muscle that was very determined to forcefully eject me.

A brighter world emerged, along with cooler air that was shocking and bitter. Our home was an invasion of the senses that seemed to be dull at first and then strengthening as leftover liquid cleared itself from my ears and tiny nostrils. Mouth gaped open, tongue panting silently as my lungs accepted their first breath of air and inflated for the first time. Gangly limbs remained curled beneath me and my head felt heavy and a little awkward to be held under a power that was unassisted by weightless water. Body was wet, chilled even. Her scent clung to me, but underneath was my own uniquely printed essence.

Her warm lips caress my face, cleaning it and assisting in drying off the afterbirth. I lie still, resting; and taking the moment second by second as an immature brain worked on gathering information of my mother and this new environment. Softly she uttered a string of sounds, "Nice to meet you Sielu.” of course it wasn't the words that made impression on a newborn. Speech was still unfamiliar, but I could feel a tangible warmth and affection behind the tone; her musical vocals soothed my troubles and gave a security without worry. She was my rock, my sanctuary and already the first understandings of love started to bloom in my heart. I didn’t know it, but she would shape my world and who I would become. Lips move silently as hers did, forming not a sound, not a squeak. Lifting my muzzle I tried to push against the face that warmed this frail body, eager for the contact.

credits

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

Sielu's Birth</style>

Drop past the color; come up through the summer rain.</style>

It couldn't be; Faelene had just given birth?!

Let me back up, for several things have happened.

During in the invasion, Phaedra had remained only long enough in the woods, to ensure that her prisoner remained with her, until dawn. Ophelia's instructions had been quite clear in that regard. After dawn, when the battle had begun, the prisoner's would have no hope of reaching the Foothills in time to be of any impact. Truthfully, the golden-girl was glad. She was a new mother, and cursed at that. The slender mare was no guardian at the best of times, much less in her current condition. And so, as dawn's light filtered through the trees, Phaedra willingly left the Lignea to do as she would. After that, Phae had gone straight to the Veins to seek council with the Goddess of the Moon. She would plead if she had to - but she had suffered enough; the curse needed to end. Appearing like a violet shroud of mystery, the Goddess had graced Phae for only the briefest of moments, before disappearing back into the night. Long enough to return Phae to her original body, and to bestow upon her, her magic.

But the Goddess would not be the only one granting Phae a blessing that day.

Returning to the Grey, to find them victorious in the Foothills, Phi had named the beauty a member of their intelligence division. Yet with the stabilization of a herd land, came certain perks. One of which, was the ability to move unseen. After thanking her leader, her first thought had been to come to the cool land of the unicorns, for two reasons. The first, is that here, among the racist, Phae would truly be able to tell if she was indeed going un-noticed, the second, was him

Tolio.

Tolio, tolio, where for art thou, Tolio? Her heart ached for him - to show him his daughters, and to feel his touch against her, now that her body was new, and beautiful again. She craved him in unmentionable ways, but also simply missed the stallion who had named her a sister, all those long seasons ago. All she wanted was him, in whatever way she could. Would she find him here? Could their plan to secretly rendezvous now work, given her new abilities?

Not no. Fate would not have her find her brother, but instead her almost sister-in-law. Faelene. Unbeknownst to the golden-girl, she was catching Faelene in precisely the same situation that the dark mare had caught her in before. Amusing how life works, isn't it?

Sea-green gaze, hidden in the shadows, watched as the red-maned mare succumbed to the throws of child-birth. Since her curse, Phaedra had not ventured out, and was not surprised that she had missed such an event; the only surprise was simply that this mare in particular, was pregnant. She always seemed so...bony, to Phaedra. Bony things could not be cuddled, they were not beautiful; they were hard and unyielding, as Faelene was. Who would have bedded her? Ignoring this thought, Phaedra peered as far as she dared, not wanting to impress herself upon such an intimate moment, until the thought hit her.

It wasn't...Tolio's, was it?

But when the odd colouring of the filly finally protruded from the dark mare, Phae heaved a silent sigh of relief. Her girls were a beautiful mix of mother and father, yet it was obvious in both colouring and build that they were sired by the cinnamon stallion. The filly which was now nestled against Faelene, bore no resemblance to her lover, and for that, Phaedra was eternally grateful. Pausing, to appreciate the innocent and genuine moment between mother and daughter, Phaedra continued/. through the shadows. Although she and Faelene certainly had their differences, and were by no means friends, she would leave this moment to conclude uninterrupted between the two.

[Stealthing in and out, with Sica's permission :3]

Won't you sing to me your poetry,
Won't you take me to your home,
Won't you be for me forever
So I'll never be alone

HP: 45.5

Hidden Account
Sica

The darling beneath her fills her heart with an emotion she has never had before, and there is something powerful in it. This isn't something she fears, in fact is gives her a sense of peace. The red maned had never been overpowered by something that didn't twist the soul, and it was strange to feel this lightness inside, but it was wonderful. If this is what she gets it seems anything would be worth the cost. Though she felt much of the same way when realizing she was to be a mother, seeing Sielu strengthen those tenfold. It made Faelene see the sacrifice of her own parents, of her guardians. Who wouldn't pay the ultimate for child? Those eyes that greet her secure such a hold she knows this is one that won't be severed. Fondly the dark cloaked mare gazes she realizes her child has the eyes of both her parents. The blue in particular adorned with a snowflake. Is it enough to cause panic? No, because Faelene sees it as a mark of her sire, one she should be proud to wear. Maybe, it could signify a hidden talent, but she did not let her mind race to quickly. Sielu was trying to speak, making Fae's grin stretch across her muzzle. Though, there was something that lingered at the back of her mind wondering if there should have been sound. Wanting no grim tales today she ignored it, and continued knowing nothing could wreck her mood. Especially, when the small lady presses closer. Sweetly, she laughs and soothes her snout down her child's cheek. "I am here, and will always be," she is not afraid to promise. There is a long, gentle look to be given before she continues to dry the filly.

The more Faelene would clean away the more unique Sielu was. The short hair of cerulean danced and swirled. How enchanted she was, almost unbelieving what her eyes beheld. How could this be? Again she was struck by the idea this was real, and this couldn't be the magical creation of her imagination. It could not produce something so pure, and sweet. When it came to it Sielu was a part of her so maybe her shadowed soul was not all black. There was no contemplating of herself, she only saw the future of possibilities, the chance at life her daughter would get from the very beginning. With the white nub tipped with blue that instantly made her think of ice it would put her worries to rest for the day. There was no signs she screamed of her heritage, but the purple sheen of her coat makes her think of red and blue.

<3 lol I love Phaedra, and of Sielu melts my heart.

Outcast
Angel

These precious moments and all that was to follow would help shape my life. This woman I’d learn to call ‘momma’ would mold the way I would approach every aspect of a situation for years to come. It was a heavy burden, a responsibility to care for innocent souls. Yet not all could be born this way, already she had given me a gift that not many children had. A parent. Unending love. Commitment. I could feel her comforting touch in response to my curious nuzzles, it is warm and forgiving of all transgressions. In her presence I could do no wrong, in this moment we were happy; and though I didn’t know the word I was so overjoyed that it felt as if fluttering heart might speed through my chest.

Love blossoms, like a spring flower. A seed has been planted by this gentle mare and her alone would it be seen to full height. Gently she warms this body and I silently sigh from the tender attentions that was soothing my fur into a state that was much more comfortable and dry. We bond. Soon I would be a fluffy purple ball of legs. These dual eyes hadn’t yet caught a glimpse of all the wonders that my mother now beheld. Being a base creature by nature, as soon as I was mostly free of sticky afterbirth my stomach began to grumble irritably. My tummy had grown used to being greedy in sapping nutrients from mother at will; now it seemed I would actually have to put forth effort when nourishment was needed.

Sensitive olfactory could almost taste the fragrance of something sweet. Something that was almost as good as mommas scent, and it was close by. Instinct started to kick in, muzzle stretched toward the promising odor; but I found it out of reach. I would have to rise as momma had. Stretching my right forelimb and then the other, I bent to sniff at the dark fur that so resembled the ebony of my mother’s barrel. At first I did nothing and then with a surge I pushed willingly through my backlegs, knowing the motion—but also not knowing the motion.

I flopped and landed with a little thud back on my side, hindquarters sprawled out like bramble twigs. This motion was repeated, and repeated. The end result was very nearly the same, except after a while not only got tired of trying but also began to get better at it. ,Eventually I was able to get halfway up, with my fronthalf toward the ground and rear hanging in the air. It was startling at first, tiny muscles flex as I hold a shaky halfway position before slowly straightening and just posing there. I’m trembling, from fatigue, and hunger but at least I’m standing.
credits

Hidden Account
Sica

Sorry for the wait. <3

The days that had passed had been overwhelming, and Faelene had wondered would it get worse? Staring down at the small bundle was not as scary as she might have imagined. Sielu was a newborn, fresh to the world, and delicate, but she was confident she had her own inner strength. She had passed the first test, making the journey here. The sound of her sweet breath, and heartbeat played in tune to the small dancing of the tree boughs. Yes, this was pure joy staring into those irises made of blue and silver. Faelene hoped to always do right by her daughter, to always see a glimmer of happiness.

Tender actions she makes sure to clean that last wicks of moisture, and stands close letting Sielu decide what she is ready for. It would seem her stomach knew exactly what it wanted, and the dark mare stood by to help guide the filly if need be. This is the next step of life, and she had faith like hundreds of other hungry babes Sielu would manage on her own to find nutrition. So close she comes, needing to use those long leg, needing to figure how they work. All the mother can do is stand within reach, give an assured touch that she was almost there. It was hard to watch her fall again, and again. Faelene held back knowing this was merely life, and those little muscles needed to build as they had hardly been used. A soft nicker, Faelene congratulated her daughter by making it to a full stand, a proud smile to her own dark muzzle.

Outcast
Angel

These were precious moments, ones that adults didn’t forget and children wouldn’t easily remember. Hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of foals had blazed through the process of birth long before my soul had even been submitted to flesh. It was right, just as right as the blue frost nub uptop my skull. Just as right as everything wonderful in this world. My mother stood as a shield, a mentor, a teacher, and for the time being my sole source of food.

Lips widened and a puff of air escaped. I huffed soundlessly before shifting tenderly to one side and flinching at the same time expecting to fall again. My limbs held their position almost naturally, it felt right to stand. But more comfortable to lay. The folds of my gut quivered expectantly, gingerly I shifted my right forelimb, bracing for the world to suddenly pivot on its axel and send me sprawling against the dirt. A step was taken, shaky, but then I moved again. This time I could follow the smell, I could almost taste the flavor dancing across my tongue.

Carefully I moved into a position that every babe who drew breath once had, and I found my nourishment. Her offerings would ensure life, and my love would repay the debt. Little swirls of smoke trailed above my crown and down the length of my neck. They burned a bright blue, starkly contrasting the red hues of my mother’s mane. Short tail bone flickered to the side, its marrow filled innards covered with the same deep plum of this little body. Surrounding the meaty tail was smoke leading down nearly to my lean thigh.
credits