the Rift

creature oh so dark [open]

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

NPC
something stirs beneath dark waters

A whisper of wind brushes through the gnarly trees. The wind's whisper becomes a violent scream as it whips quicker, thrashing the dark branches about. The wind weaves it's way through the trees, circling one certain spot for a moment. After a few heart beats the wind dies down, but a small, red glowing orb loops through the branches in it's place. The orb is surrounded by black smoke, spinning swiftly.

In a moments notice the crimson sphere plunges into the dark waters, the water bubbles as the sphere sinks beneath the cold surface. Rays of light shrink away, leaving the shadows to come out and play. The full moon rises far into the sky, and the stars are barely visible this night.

Beneath the black waters the bones of many lay in the muck, sitting undisturbed. In the blink of an eye the bones begin to shake, moving closer to one another. The white bones collide in an explosion of red, and they create the skeleton of an equine. The skeleton slips back under the water, the slime laying on the bottom of the black waters begins to cling to the bones. The grime turns to solid flesh and tissue, but no organs form. Sitting underneath the flesh, a black stone lays where the heart should lay. The stone is warm with heat as though it has been sitting in the sun for many years, never becoming cold.

Branches reach down to brush against the neck of the skeleton, entangling itself with the flesh. The branches smooth out, becoming long locks of hair. A long tail bone extends to almost the length of the horse. Branches attach themselves to the tail too, creating hair. But the creature was not complete. Stones in the very bottom of the water formed into hooves, splitting down the middle.

A red liquid runs from a single branch, falling onto the forehead of the creature. It splits into two and sits there for a moment, before one drop slides to the left and the other sides to the right. The drops of crimson place themselves into the eye sockets, granting the dark beast sight.

Alas, the beast opened it's toothless and tongueless maw, allowing air to pass through. More bones snake up the legs of the black creature, fastening themselves into the maw to become pointed canines. A piece of flesh breaks away from the beast, shedding the black hair that had blanketed the outer flesh. The flesh crawls into the mouth and molds itself into a long, thin tongue.

And now, the beast was complete. Lashing it's long leonine tail, the black creature lets out a loud screech. The screech is not the screech of a horse, but the screech of a beast, like that of a bird of prey waiting for an easy kill to slip under it's long talons.

With that, the beast waited in the shadows of the night.

"blah blah blah."

Elizabeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Elizabeth

Night approached, and I moved myself. I wanted out of the snowy place I loved, and with strange purpose my body moved on it’s own. The night was lowly lit by the moon, and I wondered what was happening. I traveled out through the forests, hearing no birds or small insects moving. There was no one about but me. The moon glowed brighter as it reached the apex of the sky, and I was brought into my destination. It was the marsh, a gross area of dark woods and lying dead water that was of no interest to me. Why I had brought myself here in the middle of the night I had no idea, but it was worth the look I guess. There was nothing moving about here either, and a fine mist had started to form around me.

I suddenly hear a screech, and it echoed all around me. I wanted if there was a beast about, something in the mist that was going to come out and try to attack me. Mist turned into fog, and I couldn’t see a damn thing in front of me, not even the rest of my body. Voices echoed, and I was confused because it seemed to be from nowhere and every where at once. What the hell was going on?

Air rushed past me, and I tried to find my way out of the fog, but I realized it was no use. I was blind, and I hadn’t heard anything. I wondered if that beast was still out there, but I would soon find out.

Words

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

A trio of flaming orbs float around twisted trees, wavering in the air as if they were leaves quivering on a branch. The purple light that they cast did little to reveal the hiding places of gnarled roots or pockets of mud and swamp. Their purpose was to provide company for the shadowy figure of a silver equine; and to serve as her weapons if she were to be confronted. Traveling at this hour was becoming common for the fae, but regardless how many nights she spent running underneath the starlit skies, she still managed to get herself completely, hopelessly lost.

Battered from all sides by the rushing wind, her sooty white mane whipping against her throat and cheek, Sulwyn squinted her eyes and surged blindly forward. The purple glow from the spheres of light was now blurred, as was the rest of the dark, swampy region around the trembling creature. She felt helpless with her handicapped senses, and she was constantly tripping over the uneven ground or pulling her short, dainty pillars out of the thick mud. Her mind had focused all of its attention onto keeping herself upright, and all thoughts of lurking beasts who were hungry for some horse flesh had left the anxious mare's subconscious.

A blood-curdling shriek resonated in the air all around, snuffing out the levitating orbs in wisps of lavender smoke and sending the grulla into a panic. Golden eyes rolled back in their sockets to show their whites, and legs that had just been carefully skirting the edge of a quick had lost their hold and fallen into the putrid soup. Vile water seeped into Sulwyn's mouth as she cried out in shock and fear, her head going under the water's surface before she kicked out with her shaking legs. Held in the firm of grip of sheer terror, the mustang subconsciously pulled a mass of her purple specters into being and flung them about in fear.

Some of the life-stealing orbs collided into the malformed trees and vines surrounding the sun-marked mare; others doubled back and struck the struggling fae in her shoulders and neck. The splashing equine was quickly losing energy and was barely able to keep her head out of the marsh, but she soon realized that her hinds had smacked against the walls of the quick. With her fores reeling and her naves panting with exhaustion, Sulwyn managed to turn herself around and dig her hooves into the soft, slimy sediment. Pulling her body out of the pool of filth, the mare collapsed on the boggy ground, her chest heaving and her mouth coughing up rotten fluids. The balls of flame that she had unintentionally summoned floated over to their mother, hanging in a slowly-rotating circle around her head, as if daring anything to try and creep up on the laboring equine.

Little did she know that a number of creatures were already aware of her presence.

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Hellverena
something stirs beneath dark waters

The beast heard the sound of splashing, perking audits forward, the beast waited. A melodic tune slipped from demonic throat, and the words were gentle yet eerie. "Come my precious prey, come and come night and day. A feast I shall have! Devour your sweet flesh, best be sure it's fresh." The lips curl back in a wicked smile, and the creature glided through the water, leonine tail dragging behind it. "My precious prey, don't go astray! I may find you somewhere you should not be~" Licking toothy maws with delicate tongue, the beast found her first victim. Smiling, with a toss of long black tassels, fog began to seep through the trees. Cackling, the beast began to coo. "Caught in the webs of Hellverena you are... dare to take a look at what your future holds?" A toothy grin was the only thing to be seen by the entrapped horses.

The beast first came to the black an silver mare. The black body slides into view, the fog swirling round and round the mare and the beast.
"Is there fear in your heart? Hellverena enjoys fear." Licking open maw, the beast flicks long, black tail. "Must tend to other guest. Yes, yes. Stay." Spinning away, the creature tossed head and loped it's way to the other mare.

Orbs were summoned and thrown. "No need to attack me, darling. Nothing to fear.... Oh wait... there is something to fear... me." With a toothy grin the creature slid towards the mare, a crooked smile placed upon her face. "Scared yet?" Red pools gaze deeply into the mare's eyes, and demonic figure slides beside her like a shadow. A horrendous cackle rung from throat, and black audits were kept forward.

"What fun! So much fun!"

"blah blah blah."

Slaiter Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Slaiter
Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.
-H.P. Lovecraft

The ghoul halts his wandering hooves, ears swiveling to catch the strange voice that drifted through his home. He had heard the screech, of course, but such sounds were common in the swamp night, shrieks and screams filling the air until one might go mad. At first, he had been slightly unnerved, but months spent dwelling the the marsh dulled his fear, and slowly he has become immune to the horrendous noises, paying no more attention to them than he might a bird's song.

Yet this was different, a low crooning voice filtering through the fog. He couldn't make out the words, but it is doubtful that he would be frightened even if he did hear what was being said. Captivated, he slinks toward the source, curious rather than afraid. Through the thick mist, he perceives the black form of a horse, gliding through the muck with an ease similar to his own. Does this beast live here too? Why hasn't he seen it before? Could it be friendly? Emboldened by thoughts of monsters, he picks up his pace, approaching the beast as if she is an old friend. His voice rings out, the deep pitch belonging to abandoned crypts, not outside, though his words are those of a foal. "Hello! I'm Slaiter!" His muzzle extends as he approaches, yearning to touch the midnight curtain of her mane.

As the scent of others is drawn in, he turns, almost angrily, glaring at Sulwyn. "Have they been mean to you? I can help you chase them away, if you'd like." Childish demeanor shifts into a more predatory one, thick tail lashing that of an agitated cat. It isn't right that monsters should be hated, driven into hiding, just because they did things that others found upsetting. It wasn't their fault they were monsters! And this one, the sharp-toothed demoness, was so beautiful. Why should she be hated? It wasn't fair!

Elizabeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
[Image: 515b635abe40d]

AND WE ALL WANT TO PARTY WHEN THE FUNERAL ENDS
AND WE ALL GET TOGETHER WHEN WE BURY OUR FRIENDS

Flame seems to flicker in her silver eyes. She was pissed, and this gross ass dead more was definitely something she wasn’t afraid of. What the hell was she trying to do? She just didn’t get it. But she was definitely trying to do her harm, and she wouldn’t take it. She moved forwarding, trying to snatch at her side, and then thinking about putting her in her mouth. She instead slide her horn into her side, and shivered at the part of putting that thing in her mouth. She had just come out of the swamp, and only the gods knew what lie in there besides her. She moved away, and the Corporal kicked at the gross bag of bones, hoping to do some sort of damage. But she wasn’t alone, far from it. There was another mare, a simple equine, but this was no time to be racist, thought she had thoughts in the back of her head about how ugly and gross she was. And if it wasn’t bad enough, she had a sun on her side. A sun, really? But her tongue stayed firmly trapped in her mouth.

Next, there was a unicorn. But he was nuts. He asked if that creepy thing needed help scaring them away. What? Are you serious? I give him a glare, and continue around. Her voice continues to echo in my head and the fog gets deeper, but I ignore her.

“What the hell are you thinking? This thing started to attack us first, we did nothing but walk here. And furthermore, your insane if you think that thing isn’t a monster. Now leave, or I’ll make you. I’m going to destroy her.”

And she turned away from him, and the Corporal took a defensive position and circled around her.

“Come at me bitch. You’ll find I’m not as tasty as you think.”

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Imge credits go to ISOStock.deviantart.com

[Image: 5163603fe02bc]