the Rift

Shadows, Fires and a Wolf [Mirage, Mad/Mask, Rafe, open]

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

[Really just wanted to throw this up as I know it was needed and I just ran out of time. :x.
*Ink did not capture Rafe on his own, so if a protector from the Edge wants to say they helped that's fine with me.

Ink has passed his guardship duty over to Mad/Mask, if that's okay with you Whit. Also I don't think we intend to detain Rafe, so I would say aside from posting in this thread as a prisoner, he is free and not constrained by not making new posts.]

I linger above the trio as a crow, drifting effortlessly on wings of liquid black. The wind carries me easily, though she tears at my body with a certain viciousness that makes me shudder in my dreams. It sends my feathers out like a fine mist that is soon lost in my wake.

Below me walks a wolf, of sorts. He is horse enough, but one look in his eyes tells me otherwise.
I wonder if I have made a permanent enemy this day. I suppose it can't be helped.

I would think on either side the brothers walk; once prisoners now holding their captor, how easily fate does like to turn on us.

I had noticed something unusual when I left this place to watch the Foothills go under siege. More unusual than a herd land being obliterated I mean. At least I have heard it was as such. I didn't get much opportunity to watch the bloody sport of conquest as my attention had been snagged by the rather large group of stallions standing to the side of the battlefield, hidden from view with the rise of a hill. Most I did not recognize, but I knew the two black shapes within to be the DragonHeart's kin. They certainly looked it.

Though I did not notice the red yawn of blood on any of them, it was not a friendly circle of bodies that surrounded them. I jerked onto the wind and hurried back to the Edge, rounding up who I could in my haste. I am sure my communication was more erratic than usual, as I didn't wish to lose the location of them. As it was it did take some tracking, but with some Protectors at my back and my sleuthing talents put to use, we found the brothers soon enough.

Rafe and his entourage were defeated with no little struggle. I feel helpless in that regard and am again reminded I should learn at least the basics to defend myself, though truthfully I always just splash into ink when I sense an impending threat, but maybe I could be less pathetic if I knew something.

Either way I'm victorious now.

I have no need for Rafe. I know nothing of him other than he took the family of my queen. The brothers are all I truly want, but I suspect Mirage may wish to share words with him. I don't think we have much to mystify about the motive, as I garner a guess that Rafe was involved with the invasion somehoof, but all the better for him to meet the obsidian dragon that sleeps on the edge of the world. If I have made an enemy of the Edge with this act, they made one of us first.

Then again childhood taught most of us who starts something is not nearly as important as who ends it. I know Mirage is diplomatic, but are they?

I flutter down to a tree branch as we cross the borders, sharp eyes watching for Mirage.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Rafe Posts: 30
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
Tamme

RAFE</style>
  The coldest blood runs through my veins</style>

Rafe had one by brute strength, but this child of black had one through a cleverness he found to be intriguing. Though not stupid, the red bay had more often relied on his physical prowess rather than exercising any mental abilities. Who would not when you possess four horns and massive stature by birth? He supposed that being as small and quiet as the little raven who captured him was required a more manipulative and thoughtful way of going about necessary business. As he saw the borders of the forest appear, the stallion only smiled a little. Ah, so the black bird had wanted his prey?

A warrior was not necessary; Rafe respected when he was caught, and he followed willingly. Madryn and Maskan were forcibly removed from his possession, which he found ironic considering that he was moments away from releasing them himself. The blue eyed Rafe had no interest in keeping the twins any longer than he had to, and he longed to go see the land he heard the Grey had won. Not fighting to babysit a pair of oversized brothers had been the most irritating and frustrating wait of his entire life. So he thanked the dark one for releasing him from that boring bind.

Rafe's emotionless gaze found the bird sitting on a branch, and the stallion paused. "You realize that I was going to return the brothers of my own free will? I have no interest in holding captives for no reason..." he trailed with a sarcastic smile. Whatever waited for him in this forest, he would face it boldly and confidently. He was not afraid of the mists or darkness that had cradled his dreams when his parents died. He was not afraid of death. When the end came and he would be judged, Rafe would stand behind his actions, not one of them a blight on his bloody records.

"You are clever, you know. The Grey would be lucky to have such a keen bird..." Rafe was passing the time with talk, but perhaps he would gain some favor while he was waiting - he assumed - for the leader of this land .

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

"Then why take captives at all?"

The question came from the shadows which surrounded them, the darkness that the Edge created with its tall canopies and misty fringes. From it, walked a little mare, unassuming in build and stature, athletic and lean in fitness and musculature, quietly challenging in the keenness of her golden stare, as it bore down on their latest prisoner. Alongside her, walked two stallions, the embodiment of shadow and flame, a display of the internal makeup that was their bloodline. Madyrn and Maskan flanked their little sister, before splitting apart to surround the group, Ink, a bird in the tree, Rafe, a prisoner caught in the middle, with Mirage standing before him, facing him.

"Why capture ones who would not fight anyway?" Her accented tones inquired again, though she doubted even the Grey understood the intricate balance that was the Qian, and their relationship with the Throat, the way in which the brothers were stationed at the Foothills as an act of goodwill. But since the Throat was fighting against the Foothills, the brothers would have been forced to step aside and let them fight - their true loyalties laid with the Qian first and foremost. They would not go against their sisters word, even though watching the lands they had resided in for many seasons now being invaded did cause a deep sense of unrest to grow within them.

But they did not even get a chance to watch, for they were forcibly removed from the equation, as Rafe had so kindly put it when they followed him to the Deep Forest. They had been foolish to follow him in the first place, they knew that even in their wizened age, they should have known better, but even the brothers of fire and shade were prone to imperfections.

"Ensure he makes it to the borders in one piece. I want none of his misinformed carcass upon our lands any longer." The brothers shared a glance at their sister's words - they would get rough only if Rafe proved that he needed further insistence. The blood bay steed was free from captivity which meant that he was now a trespasser. A whisper of a snort shuddered through the dark mare's nostrils, before the magic of illusion swallowed her hide, and she left the care of the prisoner in the capable hooves of Ink, Madyrn and Maskan.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I swivel my head at the sound of Rafe's voice, frustration creasing my 'brow momentarily. I cannot be sure if he tells me the truth, I know wolves are fond of lying, but a weight in my heart suspects he is. The knowledge that I went through the trouble of capturing him for little reason ruffles my feathers.

How was I to know? The Basin kept our prisoners for far too long and would have longer if we had not acted. I was not about to let that happen once more. Maybe I wasted my time capturing he who was about to release those of true value, but at the very least he can be brought before Mirage to pay for his crimes.

I wonder if you can be convicted of anything whilst war rages.

A cruel compliment slips from the toothed maw of the stallion. Once more my head turns towards him, beady eyes regarding him with a certain distrust I think is well earned. I can't say I've been complimented much in my life, so when it does occur I feel unduly proud. I take new interest in this Rafe and his Grey in that moment.

Mirage arrives then with her kin and my attention snaps back towards her, my back to the wolf and all his hunger.

The Dragonheart is cordial enough, though her irritation is almost palpable. I am disappointed that she does not do more with my wonderful catch, but I say nothing, as always. Her will is her own and I would rather be rid of an opponent in our midst and our mists than to be forced to sleep with one eye open. She gives her orders and I nod, alighting to my dark wings once more.

I will travel with him to the borders and then no further. I have duties to attend to elsewhere.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Rafe Posts: 30
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
Tamme

RAFE</style>
  The coldest blood runs through my veins</style>

The blood red stallion watched as a dark colored mare, small, lithe, athletic and yet with an air of power, approached. Rafe's eyes did not adjust from their cold and unfeeling sheen; they were ever blue and ever void of emotion. A smile worked over his lips when she spoke, and he tilted his head ever so slightly to the side. She seemed too trusting of her own, and he wondered when that would explode in her face in a burst of screaming and betrayal. Eventually, this would happen. It was inevitable. A dark brow rose over his azure eyes as she continued to speak, casting a brief glance up at the clever raven.

He nodded once to the two brothers, wondering if they had any sport of if they were just as stuck up as the rest of this lot. They seemed to be rather full of themselves, too confident in their size and abilities. Well, when faced with numbers, they were not so powerful. Were they humbled? Or was it indignation and denial that rested in those oddly colored eyes?

"Mmmm... What you believe will happen and what actually occurs are often two very different things indeed. While the twins may be loyal to you, they resided in the Foothills. Loyalties tend to adjust in absence, and no one knows the soul better than its owner." The stallion's voice smoothly moved past his teeth. "You may think I am misinformed, and I doubt I would change your mind. However, I feel the need to correct you on one matter. I am not misinformed, merely cautious."

Rafe smiled again. "I had no assurance they would not fight. The only two who know their actions are them, and I doubt they would have replied honestly to an enemy at the time." The wolf then chuckled a little more at her anger and cutting words. "Kind, lady, such kind words give to a cautious stranger." He wondered how many of her subjects saw this side of her; a darker side.

"Perhaps a wise one would take this as a lesson about judgement. I know I certainly will. Farewell, Lady of the Edge. May caution ever shield you from the unknown..." Rafe smirked and then followed his guards to the edge of the forest, offering a subtle wink to the inky raven.