the Rift

A Message in a Bottle [Mirage]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The stones hung heavy upon my neck as I listened to Mirage explain their worth. I had been more than relieved to find that her magic had been stored deep within them ready for my call should the day ever come. I wondered what it would feel like to embody the powers of my lead and use them for my will alone. Would the dark magic move me? Destroy me? Perhaps my optimism had been compromised somewhere along my path to understanding but I didn’t let my doubts overshadow my exuberance for life very long. Instead, I imagined myself very much the dragon that hid within one of the stones upon my nape. He was a constant reminder of my favor for the Weyrleader; she had plucked me from the Threshold and allowed me a future beyond my greatest dreams. Whatever road I had been upon before had been altered that day and I did not resent her for it, but rather thanked her. She had been a light in the darkness despite her shadowy appearance. One day, I would find the words to express my gratitude, even if that day was simply not the present.

Below us I could hear the rolling of the waves and for once it seemed to sooth my heart. It was a constant that I enjoyed while in the Edge along with the never-ending tendrils of pale mist. However, here at the face of the cliff, they seemed to dissipate in the breeze. Was it mere chance that we had chosen such a place to watch the storm roll in? Before me, choices and decisions hung freely upon the growing gale and as I watched them bob and sway, I exhaled deeply… blowing them away. It seemed that I had much more on my mind than I cared to admit, but I couldn’t seem to put a finger on what exactly bothered me. Was it this lack of knowing where we were headed as a family that put me in such a mood? Looking out across the wide expanse of the ocean’s body, I resolved to let it pass- just let everything pass. Even when a storm seemed to be headed our way, would we not stay strong in the face of its danger? Together we would stand until it passed and just like that, I let go. The invasion, the possible threat of a new band called the Assassins, anything and everything, it would all pass.

When I thought that I had ignored reality for long enough, I turned a quiet gaze to Mirage who had cocked a brow at me. Her eyes were dark and ominous and for the first time since meeting the little black mare, I felt… ashamed? Or perhaps she frightened me? In any case, whatever she was thinking was not something that I felt I was very inclined to know myself. However, I couldn’t help but wonder what exactly I had said or done to engage such a reaction for even Akaith was rumbling irritably alongside her bonded. I was tempted to question her sudden change in mood but knowledge and perhaps a weakness of mind told me otherwise. Besides, mares often had an issue with anyone other than themselves pointing out variations in their temperament and I wasn’t going to be the sad sap that unleashed hell from this fiery little she-devil. I watched as Akaith dove over the cliff’s edge and some frantic voice inside my head inside warned me to hold my tongue from here on out. Whatever I’d done or said to offend Mirage was obviously going to be addressed here and now and there was nothing that I could do to rebuke it.

However, I hadn’t been ready for what came from that mare’s mouth and perhaps never will be. The shock that seemed to register on my face must have been one hell of a sight to see because I could feel the air being sucked from my lungs in a sudden whoosh. My eyes widened with the heft of her insinuation and it took all of my resolve not to retort and walk away but once again, I stood fast in the face of a storm that had inadvertently found its way to my side. “Mirage, I am not judging you… That was not my intention.” The words seemed to find their way through gritted teeth and the more I tried, the easier it became- or at least that’s what I told myself from time to time. However, as she turned to move away from the conversation it was all I could do to hold myself back from muttering every name in the book back at her. Mares. They had a way of getting under my skin and Mirage was especially good at it. I repeated the statement in question silently for a few seconds and paused to watch as Akaith resumed her position upon her bonded’s back. I hadn’t said anything out of the ordinary… I hadn’t even given her a reason to shift in disposition so suddenly, had I? But of course, as mares will do, she wouldn’t let it lie. Her antagonizing tones lifted above the breeze and her mockery was enough to make me bite down upon my tongue to literally hold it from lashing out.

The Basin? I’d rather pitch myself over the cliff than submit to the Basin anomalies. What exactly had come over her anyhow? I couldn’t even come up with a good excuse to defy her words anymore because all of my thoughts had ceased completely. My chest seemed to expand and stay there like I was holding my breath and maybe I was because as she turned to approach again, I couldn’t help but release a tired sigh. “I don’t know what I’ve done here to offend you… or you.” I looked haphazardly to Akaith who only moments ago had been kind enough to tie the now sagging amulets into my mane. She was always quite a theatrical little thing but she had always been friendly enough; there was simply no reckoning with them so I decided to stop trying. However, the situation proved more confusing still as she launched into various titles for me in which didn’t seem to fit this “conversation” at all. I could feel the bulge in my eyes as the strain of her assault began to take its toll. WHAT was going on?!

The softness of her breath now against my face made me still and perhaps I was waiting for her to just beat me to a bloody pulp but what came next had nothing to do with violence, no, not at all. Instead, she chose to shock me once more; I think she planned on trying to give me some kind of heart attack. Had the words WeyrLeader really come from her mouth? Would I be her equal? Shit, this was just getting more confusing by the second. I had been so set on becoming Captain, being able to help with the changes that sometimes came our way… but this… this was entirely so out of the blue. All I could do was nod solemnly before letting a smile break my face for the first time in ages (at least it felt that way). “Of course… I mean, of course!” Words certainly weren’t proving to be my strong suit in that moment but after that horrendous emotional roller coaster she put me through, I figured it was warranted.

Was this really happening or did I really just become the King of the Edge…? Mares- why did they have to be such confusing animals?

Messages In This Thread
A Message in a Bottle [Mirage] - by Thor - 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM
RE: A Message in a Bottle [Mirage] - by Mirage - 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM
RE: A Message in a Bottle [Mirage] - by Thor - 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: A Message in a Bottle [Mirage] - by Mirage - 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
RE: A Message in a Bottle [Mirage] - by Thor - 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM