the Rift

Long Time No See [Cormac/Other Pirates/Open]

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

It was, without a doubt, one of the nicest times she had ever visited the beach. It was pleasantly warm, without being unbearably hot, and the breeze was only strong enough to rustle the palm trees and cool her fur, instead of blowing stinging sand onto her legs and whipping her mane into tangles as it sometimes did. The blue mare was sloshing through the shallow water at an easy walk, the water alternating between covering her hooves as a wave rolled in, then receding to leave her feet dry. The scent of the wind and sea salt both invigorated and relaxed her, allowing her to forget, just for a moment, her upcoming duel, the slow-to-heal guilt over the Foothills invasion, and every other nagging worry the Sergeant had to deal with.

She came to a stop, head bending down to examine a shell poking out of the water. Java, who sleeping on her withers, stirred briefly, then became quiet again. The clear, warm day was like a sleeping pill for the growing bat. While he had begun to spend more time awake during the day, he still was nocturnal for the most part. Aryel sniffed at the shell, a shard of pinkish-orange conch, then snorted as a softly-hissing wave washed over it, foam obscuring it from view. She lifted her head again, scanning the beach for others. She had heard very little of the band that roamed this beach, only that they were called the Pirates. The word was foreign to a mare who had grown up in a lush inland valley, and so she was ignorant of the negative connotations the word could carry. Besides, she had never actually seen any of them here, apart from Cormac and a pegasus with colorful wings. She privately wondered what had become of the friendly, somewhat flirtatious bay with the golden eyes. The last she had seen of him, he was dipping beneath the waves, thick tail flicking him through the water. Was he still on his quest? Had he regained the land? And what had become of his band?

With a shake of her mane, she bent her head down again to see what the previous wave had left in place of the conch. More shells, some shattered, others whole, were lying exposed in the sand, as well as a strand of seaweed. She pawed the wet sand with her right hoof, wondering what else she could find.

(Sooo, yeah. BAD POST IS BAD. This was originally for Cormac and Aryel to meet up again, but others are welcome to come join the beach party xD)

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Cormac Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

CORMAC the BARBARIAN

Dark hooves made temporary prints on the sand as Cormac made his way unhurriedly along the beach. The sun soaked into his dark, scarred coat and eased the tense muscles beneath his skin. How wonderful it was to be back on solid ground once more, and bask in the sunlight for all of eternity. Closing his eyes, the pirate stopped moving and simply stood, inhaling the brine of the sea and feeling the wind slide over his silky frame. Taking a deep breath to steel his nerves, Cormac switched his harks around, trying to recall the sound of the waves crashing on the shoreline while the sea birds called to each other and raced with the tide.

Nothing, absolutely nothing. Cormac could feel his heart racing faster as he tried to come to terms with the absence of sound that was now his reality. After he had returned from his time under the water he had once again visited the God of Earth and was given the additional task of deafness for two weeks until he could receive his prize.

Oh well, it was what it was. Lifting his cranium up, Cormac continued trotting down the beach with a small smirk on his lips. He would wait out the two weeks if only to spite the god and once it was over he would have control of water and how sweet it would be! In slightly higher spirits, Cormac started humming a sea shanty to himself and completely disregarded any key or pitch so that anyone who heard him would probably think that he was drunk.

The familiar scent of a mare blew itself into Cormac's nostrils and a rugged smile quirked his lips as he made his way towards her. Climbing over a small sand dune, the stallion's golden orbs fell on a blue roan mare with a bat sitting on her shoulders. Letting out a nicker to inform her of his presence, he trotted down and spoke in a slightly loud voice that over compensated for his deafness. "Well hello Aryel, what a pleasant surprise." Although he could feel his vocal chords vibrating, he was still getting used to not hearing his own voice and he shook his head slightly as if trying to dislodge some water that had gotten in his ear.

[ooc: I'm so sorry for the wait! I've been really busy, but here it is! :)]

ar ar ar
a pirate's life for me

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel's ears swiveled as a male's nicker interrupted her daydreaming. She lifted her head and turned to face the newcomer, blinking in surprise. She only seen his face once before, a long time ago, but she would have recognized the golden eyes and yellow hoof easily. Cormac was out of the water and back on land. She replied with an answering whinny, flicking her tail as he approached to stand in front of her. The other stallion, who had had the multicolored wings, was not with him, though. She wondered what happened to the rest of his band.

If he had spoken a little loudly, she didn't notice. Cormac had struck her as the boisterous type anyway. "Good to see you too, Cormac." she said, nodding. She noticed the shake of his head, and wondered if he had something was in his ear. Java yawned, exposing his tiny, pointed teeth, then peeked around her should to peer at the male. Had he not been a nocturnal creature, he would have been perched between her ears, sniffing at the male. As it was, the hot sun left him drowsy, and after a cursory nose-twitch, he settled on her shoulders again.

"So I see you've finally gotten out of the water. Happy to be back on dry land? What sort of magic did you get?" She was itching for a few stories of his stay under the waves, but didn't want to pry. She did not know, however, that he had been tasked with an additional burden, and that her words would not register in his ears. If she had, she wouldn't have known what to say at all.

(Ack, I need to stop posting during muse crashes.)

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Unregistered

C O R M A C

Soon after he spoke Cormac realized he had made a grave error in trying to communicate with Aryel... how in the seven seas would he know what she said to him?! Cursing his idiocy, the stag further made his life worse by not paying attention to whether or not the mare's lips were moving and it was only after he saw her nodding that he realized that she had spoken to him. Having no idea what she had just said, Cormac opted for his natural charming smile and a flirtatious wink as you could respond to just about anything in that manner.

Furrowing his brows slightly the sooty bay stallion focused on the mare's kissers, hoping to find out whether or not he read lips. "I... out... water... happy... land... of... you." Well that went well... What in the world was she trying to say?! Realizing that if they were to have any sort of conversation he would have to tell her to speak a little slower, Cormac waited for half a second to make sure she was done speaking and then released his vocal chords. "I'm afraid you're going to have to speak a bit slower sweetheart." His lips quirked in a smile as he drew his hoof through the sand to make a small trench. "I have been assigned the additional task of deafness before I can receive my magic from the Water God" Although in his mind he spoke nonchalantly like it was no big deal, all the words except for "sweetheart" came out flat and toneless. Of course that just goes to show how frequently this flirty stallion speaks to pretty mares such as the lovely Aryel

Assuming a relaxed, devil may care attitude that settled on the pirate like a well worn pair of boots, he let his eyes wander over the petite mare's frame with hardly disguised appreciation. He quite enjoyed the company of young, sweet mares such as Aryel and had no qualms in letting them know that. His golden eyes made their way back to the mare's face, ready to try his lip reading skills once more.

"then this is what I say"

[ooc: Still working on figuring him out, let me know if you have any suggestions! :)]

My fair lady,

I will pursue your affections whether you like it or not.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel blinked in surprise as he spoke, explaining his lack of hearing, then winced. Whoops. Well, that could certainly impede their conversation. "Sorry." she said, making sure her lip movement was exaggerated enough for him to discern. She gave him an embarrassed smile before trying again. "So how...was life...under the waves?" she asked, slowing her words and hoping he could differentiate between them. While she didn't like how it felt as if she was trying to talk to a very simple horse (She didn't even have to do that with Gaucho), she couldn't think of any alternatives. She just hoped he wouldn't feel insulted. "Did you...see anything cool?" Well, at least she might get a story or two out of it.

Even though his ears weren't working, his eyes obviously were. She couldn't help but notice his appreciative looks, and tried not to roll her eyes. It wasn't that she was annoyed. Cormac was a pirate, after all. By definition, they tended to be more flirtatious than most. Still, they could stand to be a little more covert about it. At the same time, she'd be lying if she said she was completely repulsed. Cormac was by no means ugly.

Java had obviously picked up on her feelings, as she was detecting a hint of amusement through the link she shared with the bat. She realized he must have only been feigning sleep to listen in. And what would you know, you little shrimp? she thought at him, embarrassed. You're practically a kid. Sometimes, the lack of privacy concerning her thoughts was really annoying. Java's amusement only increased in response.

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Unregistered

C O R M A C

He hated this. As soon as he told Aryel that he was unable to hear the words that spilled from her lips he could see her become embarrassed and awkward and he sighed inwardly. "Sorry." Now when her lips moved Aryel took the trouble to exaggerate her movements and make it all too clear what she was saying. "...how...was...under...waves?" He was definitely picking up more now, but he loathed having to be spoken to as if he was the village simpleton. He knew it was his own fault, but it didn't make it any easier. "Did you...see anything cool?" With each word that she spoke Cormac picked up more though he had to keep his eyes trained on her lips at the expense of his flirty glances.

"It was in a word spectacular." Another charming smile quirked his lips as he continued to speak as normally as possible so as to not play the part of the simpleton that one might guess by the way Aryel was talking to him. "What would you like to hear about? Maybe the great fish creatures a thousand times bigger than your or I? Or perhaps the brilliant display of colors in the reefs?" He quirked his lips in a tempting smile, knowing that even these two little tidbits would drive her wild with curiosity.

[ooc: Meh on the muse.]

My fair lady,

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Spectacular, huh? Aryel couldn't help feeling jealous at his experience. Sure, she could fly and he couldn't, but there wasn't much up there other than clouds and birds. Under the waves had to be a different world entirely, one that she would likely never see. But Cormac had been lucky enough to spend a whole season there. Her ears pricked up as he spoke of just a few things he had seen. She tried to imagine such enormous creatures and failed. The coral reefs sounded a little like the patches of wildflowers that grew all around, but she had seen chunks of coral washed up before, and they didn't look like flowers at all. The only ones she saw were chunks of white stone shaped like small branches and dotted with small pores. In fact, the only things she had seen of the ocean where what she could glimpse at the seashore. Shells, seaweed, a shark's tooth, the grey form of a dolphin's back as it surfaced.

She laughed. "How about both? Or even all of it." she said, still making sure to make her lips understandable. Another idea came to her. "Was it dangerous down there?" she asked, tilting her head. "I've seen the teeth that wash up on the beach. I doubt they come from a plant-eating fish." She had never seen a shark for herself, but if what she heard about them was true, that was a good thing. On her journey to Helovia, she had met with a horse from a herd that made it's home in a system of caves in a sea cliff and frequently went swimming in the water, crossing the shallows to find food on nearby islands. More than one horse had gone out for a midnight swim and fallen prey to a prowling tiger shark. Big teeth, and cold eyes. Like wolves from the sea. That was what she remembered from the beach horse's description.

(Don't sweat it, getting small replies doesn't bother me ^^ Giving them, on the other hand...)

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Unregistered

C O R M A C

A smile tugged at the corners of Cormac's lips as he saw curiosity light up her dark eyes. Maybe he could figure out a way to take her under the sea once he had his magic. She amused him greatly and there weren't many who'd enjoy the ocean as thoroughly as she would. He found it slightly ironic that someone with wings would hunger so much for yet another place to go. Seeing her head tilt back in laughter, Cormac wished that he could hear it. She laughed like someone who didn't hold back their happiness. "How about both? Or even all of it." Her exaggerated movements made it all to easy now to figure out what she was saying, a fact that he greatly appreciated. Laughing, the stud's tones rang out "All of it? That could take some time."

Flicking his tail, he was about to start speaking, when her lips started moving again. "Was it dangerous down there? I've seen the teeth that wash up on the beach. I doubt they come from a plant-eating fish." When she tilted her head, he couldn't help but to think how adorable she was when she was in a state of concern and curiosity. "It wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but I do have a few more scars now." Turning his haunch to face her, he pointed out a bite mark that had taken out a few small chunks of flesh. "I got that from one of the little beasties with the teeth you see on the shore, although he was small compared to some of the other ones."

Shifting back, Cormac cocked a hoof and started to tell her about the coral reefs as they were one of his personal favorites and would satisfy both the curiosity of what was down there as well as what kinds of dangers he encountered. He talked for a long while and stopped to answer any questions she might have before moving on. By the time he had finished the sun was making its way towards the western horizon and he had run out of things to tell her about the vibrant ecosystem. "If you want, I could see if I could get you a piece of living coral once I get my magic." He grinned at her, thoroughly enjoying this wonderful day on the beach with a pretty mare to keep him company. "You see, the reason that all the pieces that wash up on the shore are white is because they're dead! It's like a living rock creature and they are more colorful then all the flowers in the earth." Tilting his head, he grinned at her, waiting patiently for a reply.

[ooc: So I didn't want to have to write a bunch of stuff about coral, but if Aryel has any questions about them, just have her ask them, and Cormac will answer! :D]

My fair lady,

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

(Lost the thread >_<)

She surveyed his new scar, wincing slightly. Bitten on the flank by an fanged aquatic beast. What a life this Cormac lived. She wondered why a small creature would go after a fully-grown horse, but supposed it didn't really matter. As he began to speak about the coral reefs, she listened attentively, interrupting with a few questions here and there. She imagined the bright rock-like formations and the creatures that inhabited them. So the fish in the ocean were not like the dull-colored animals she saw in the streams and ponds of Helovia, but bright and colorful? She wondered about the snakelike eels and the slow and serene sea turtles. The ocean must look like a rainbow with all those animals, she thought.

The part about coral being dead caught her by surprise. A living rock? Was that even possible? While the irony of a flying blue horse who lived in a world of magic and fantastic creatures wondering about living rocks was lost of her, she did find it interesting. "I'd love that." she said when Cormac offered to fetch her a piece when he got his magic. Who said pirates weren't nice?

Recalling his band, she asked, "And how are the Pirates? Were they glad to see you out of the water?" The only other Pirate she had met was the parrot-winged pegasus, but she hadn't even heard news of them recently. Had they disbanded or gotten into trouble?

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>