the Rift

The Keepers || Herd Meeting

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"One Day, I Shall Live By the Code of Honor."
----------------------------------------

Laila’s pace was measured, bashful even, as she followed her smoky father and her brilliant brother to the meeting place of the Edge. She wanted…desperately to mimic the graceful movements they exhibited—and perhaps she was successful in a way. Yet there was that tiny part of her mind, way, way back in there, that kept an eye on the wayward movements of her hooves. Were they jumping too high? Did they strike out too far? It wasn’t shame that drove her to nitpick at every tiny movement she made—no, it was familial pride that pushed her to such an extreme. She saw how noble her bloodline really was, and how it was reflected in her own twin’s grandness—Laila only wanted to do her kin justice.

And so the meeting went, many faces gathering to listen to the words of their Weyrleader and welcome into their hearts the heart of another leader. Laila’s gaze lingered on the ebony form of Mirage, that lady of poise and gentleness that had appeared on the occasion of that palomino’s birth—Laila had never learned the filly’s name. She smiled wide, the pride she felt in her chest swelling at an alarming rate, encompassing not just her family but the entirety of the World’s Edge herd. She felt indescribably close to them, almost intimate with the clanfolk she rarely got to meet; it were as though this grand meeting of souls tied some sort of blood-knot within the yearling’s breast, almost filling the crack that marred the perfection of her love and devotion.

Almost. There was still a matter of one particular….hang-nail.

Laila pushed those offending thoughts away for the time being, simply enjoying the day; though water poured from the heavens, the day was still warm and humid, lively with energy. The meeting continued apace, and her father Destrier turned to gaze upon his children as the subject of proffered servitude came up. A tiny lurch caused Laila to swallow, especially as Luken proudly raised his voice and announced his intention to become yet another valiant knight, fighting in Mirage’s ranks. As he gave his affirmation, Laila gave him a gentle head-butt on his barrel, a simplistic display of her sisterly affection; it may have been clumsy and juvenile in a way, sure, but he was her brother for crying out loud. It was for him and him alone.

Now, however, Laila’s mind began to reel a little. Luken was surely following in their father’s footsteps, whereas it was only right for Laila to follow in their….no. Laila gave a tiny snort as that lurch returned, jostling her innards and making her feel queasy. There was that offending emotion again, the one Laila was still slightly embarrassed to feel. She…needed to ignore it for the time being. It wasn’t the time for brooding over such unpleasant matters. For now, Laila wanted to mimic her brother and affirm her own loyalty to the Edge—she didn’t know how yet, but she wanted to be a servant as well. Laila opened her mouth, taking a breath to follow her brother’s declaration, and—

*"Luken! Destrier!"*

Laila’s body legs, heart and mind froze in that instant—and suddenly the warm scent, the chocolaty, silky voice, the ivory whiteness of that kind face—all of it was embracing her, so familiar, so heartfelt and beautiful and sincere in the love that radiated. Yet Laila couldn’t melt her limbs even if she tried; she only stood there stock-still, her eyes flinty and the strange lurch ever so much stronger as her lost-and-found mother Tor gushed around her, proclaiming her sorrow in leaving her children. And that she would never do it again. The frogs of Laila’s feet began to burn very suddenly, uncomfortable in their heat. She didn’t move an inch to shift her weight, nor did she speak—Laila couldn’t trust the words that might spew from her mouth. You will never leave again? some inner voice seethingly mocked, Somehow I thought it went without saying that you wouldn’t’ve left to begin with, hmm? Oh, let this end already. Laila hated feeling these things.

*”But let this come another time. We must listen to the Queen."*

Oh, what mercy—an excuse to move away from this uncomfortable heat. “Another time,” Laila whispered to her mother—shocked and saddened by the venom that leaked from her maw. She looked into her mother’s eyes, truly gazed within their depths, then turned to look upon the obsidian awesomeness* that was the Skilled Protector. That was her father.

“My Queen,” Laila spoke up, suddenly inspired by a wayward flame of passion,“My lady. I too would like to demonstrate my willingness to serve and uphold the honor of my family and my homeland. Please--allow me to train as a Protector as well.”

[OOC: *I honestly couldn’t help myself.]

Messages In This Thread
The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Mirage - 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Solstice - 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Aaron - 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Thor - 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Crven - 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Sulwyn - 03-20-2013, 02:14 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Destrier - 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Tamira - 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Ink - 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Takara - 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM