the Rift

The Keepers || Herd Meeting

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I should not so hastily have assumed an end to something that has just begun.

Xanthos arrives at my other side and I turn my head to give him a kind glance in greeting. I cannot say I know my fellow well, which I consider to be quite a pity as I think I may grow fond of him. He continues to stir my curiosity and I never did get to asking him about just why he stole Mirage and then left the Basin. I wonder, will he help me riddle out the threat they pose?

It is then that I make my request, an odd thing to ask considering all I do not know about our own herd. I have been cooped up here too long though, and for every face I recognize there is ever a new one. I must have faith that the herd can manage in my absence - I wonder when I began to think so highly of myself as being the glue that kept this cliff face from falling into the sea. I shake my head faintly, surprised with myself.

My request is one echoed suddenly by a voice well known just behind and quickly beside me. With ears pricked my head swivels, dark gaze landing upon Kaj, my lion. A broad grin quickly envelops my features, washing away whatever inner arguments were brewing with myself. I am grateful of his assistance and dip my head to acknowledge such. The path to the Throat is no short one and for every step there is the opportunity of ambush and treachery. Knowledge that Kaj, a fine warrior, would be at my side to help protect me eases what fears remained.

Of course I had intended to fly as an inky dove, with only hawks to worry about and in that case I could just turn into rain, but I am afraid to make Kaj feel less important. Warriors are well accustomed to pride and honor, such foreign things to me I often accidentally step on those belonging to others by mistake. I will try to place my hooves more carefully with Kaj, least I wound him.

Kaj's attention seems to drift over others of the herd and I let my eyes follow him, still ruminating on his volunteering. His gaze seems to sharpen upon a particular mare, though I know little of her. It makes me curious, I did not think my lion, so much more like a lamb sometimes, had the ability to dislike so heavily. I tilt my head somewhat to the side, reminding myself to query after who she is at a later date.

If only I knew Kaj's thoughts, and he my heart. I am not nearly so noble as he, or as what he thinks of me. On my best day I am weak and on all the rest I am cowardly. My loyalties have not wavered because I have no reason to seek greener pastures when these satiate my hunger, but my allegiance has always been to myself. I cannot say I would lay my life down for anyone here - it's a precious thing to me, even with how often I debase it.

Tor and Aaron, they are complex scenarios. It is hard for me to judge the loyalty of others when mine billows like the wind. I have not proven craven, but I am rather fond of being a crow as of late. Tor's particular clusterfuck remains unknown to me and Aaron's I have already sat in on - though perhaps he had left the Edge on good terms, he still left, only returned because his new home was ripped from beneath him and so many more. It does make me wonder some over his dependability, but I try not to think about the issue too deeply. After all, could so many of us claim to resist our desires? We can feign boldness when we all stand here together or in the light of the camp fires, but on our own, in the dark, it is easy to stumble and shy.

Kaj's touch makes my flesh crawl and yanks my focus from theoretical events to the one at hoof. I do not balk from his affectionate gesture, but neither do I embrace it. It is often difficult for us to love the unknown at first and touch is just that to me. Still, I offer him a warm breath of air as I exhale, though my muscles run stiff beneath my coat.

Mirage begins to speak again and I find myself distracted from the awkwardness of physical contact.

I smile a sly smile to myself, dipping my head somewhat as I am humbled by the DragonHeart. In my line of work I often presume things in order to piece together what bits I do know, but I should know better than to play such games with Mirage. She is far wiser than I, and much more capable in her position than I will ever be.
I remember what it is to bow my head.

Rishima interrupts somewhere within, startling me with her wish to join my quickly growing fellowship to the Throat. I am elated however, she being one of my first, true friends, yet one of the few I do not often have the pleasure to spend time with. I grin boyishly.

Somewhere else among Mirage's words Paladin's voice rises, earning him my eyes. I know not of him, though I remember glancing his form when I was watching the Foothills invasion. I cannot fathom what he's referring to and wonder why he would make a spectacle out of it, but perhaps being the shy spectre that I am I do not well understand what it is to approach conflict. Is this bravery I wonder, to face your foes openly?
Rishima quiets the stir gracefully and the conversation flows ever on.

Nothing Mirage says is new to me, but I listen all the same (interruptions aside), nothing except for the last. I am intrigued by the Seer's advice. As I think of her I instinctively look for her in the crowd.
We must know each other deeply - this is already part of my job description and I know first hoof it's easier said than done, particularly when new arrivals continue to fail to provide their names. It only deepens my regret in choosing to go to the Throat, but one glance at Kaj and I know I cannot back out now, he is with me and I with him. What's more Rishima is to come along and Mirage has spoken for us. Whatever threat looms over the Edge, whether I'm here or not will make little difference.

I only hope the Throat holds as many answers as I'm expecting. In the very least I will have good company.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Messages In This Thread
The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Mirage - 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Solstice - 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Aaron - 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Thor - 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Crven - 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Sulwyn - 03-20-2013, 02:14 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Destrier - 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Tamira - 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Ink - 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Takara - 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
RE: The Keepers || Herd Meeting - by Torasin - 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM