the Rift

LIGHT UP; [xanthos, mirage, open]

Mikali Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It had been one, single, miniscule thought that, within the countless hours of monotony and silence, gnawed relentlessly on your consciousness. From the moment the shock subsided and you could finally see clearly, you remembered that long-burning, resonating ache. The familiarity came as a surprise to you, as it blossomed within your young heart, and while anger sparked within thin veins, vehement words sprouting to the surface of your forked tongue; the burning of your very core to fall into his arms, reach for him the way wild-flowers reach for the sun, you, above all else, listened to the desire to run. Run from his face, those eyes, mirroring everything you fought to forget, the things you missed so fervently. It is in this that you were all-consumed, hardly paying mind to the man leading you somewhere you didn't expect to see in the first place, though the trees hadn't thinned, nothing had changed. It scares you in a way that you can't seem to grasp, the mere realization that he had found you, whether by accident or not. That innocent boy from the day-dreams that you no longer dreamed, with Indian-black locks just like yours, eyes of Siberian blue and deeper that you could ever even begin to want fathom.

The boy that you ( and though you condemn it as frivolous and foolish, maybe even superficial ) could have loved once; if only for the charm in his sharp, critical tongue, that incandescent smile, the way he sometimes looked at you that made you feel like you were the only thing that meant something in his world. You, in the quiet moments you had to yourself, would always quell your fluttering heart and dismiss it as nothing, reminding yourself of the man that had his clutches dug in your heart, though you would never indulge him any further. And he had proven it, come time, you remind yourself; he had proven that he didn't love you, and in a moment of self pity, you ventured so far as to think that he couldn't stand to see you happy. A sickening feeling twists your gut, and it is almost surreal as you watch with brilliant eyes the shadows cast by the sun dancing at your feet, twisting their way around the thick trunks, intertwining with the quiet figurine ahead of you.

It is nothing but a momentary distraction from the poison-thoughts circling within your predatory mind, and even as you shake your head, tresses falling like a waterfall around your face, down your neck; slender legs moving in a panther-esque fashion, fluid and sure, towards the strange man, they clamor for your attention. 'Xanthos,' They quiet for a moment, and you find yourself within an arm's length, the warmth of his body dim on your skin. 'Tell me about your Edge, and of yourself.' It is more of a request than a command, and your mismatched eyes fall on the edge of his cheek, a soft smile creeping into the corners of your lips. And while you are genuinely curious, you hardly wish for anymore than an escape from your throbbing head, aching heart.

* sorry for the babble. short posts = ♥
and i saw in your herd meeting thread to post there for those wanting to join, whit, though i didn't know if that meant just foothills or anyone. if i need to post there instead, let me know :3

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

It was a lovely day in the World's Edge. The sun had just risen, peeking out and shining its brilliant rays out across the great waters that surrounded and crashed against the borders of the land. There was still a chill in the air from the night before, but it was more invigorating than anything else. Xanthos inhaled deeply the scent of pines and sea salt, glad to have returned home from his visit to the Threshold. It had been successful, for he did not walk alone on this misty morning.

Mikali was her name, as she had revealed to him back in the Threshold. It was a pretty name, fit for her in his eyes; although it was only a quick observation, for his heart was taken forever and for always by a certain palomino and their precious child. The mere thought of them was enough to swell his chest with pride, but remembering that they were tucked somewhere safely inside the Edge, he did his best to focus back on the pale maiden traveling alongside of him.

When his name was spoken, he turned his head towards the lighter hued grullo and flashed a warm smile in her direction, twisting his ears forward to listen intently to what she had to say. Although his time in the World's Edge had not been very long, he was prepared to answer all that he could. However, it seemed that her questions were about himself, too. For a moment his expression was thoughtful, thinking his words over carefully before he finally spoke up.

"The Edge is more than a place to call home; it is a family, called the Qian," he started off, thinking fondly of their dearest Weyrleader as they continued their trek into the core of the Edge, "We accept all with open arms, and expect them to do the same, and to be able to pull their own weight within the herd." He paused then, looking back to Mikali again, "Of course, you don't need to push yourself to the extreme every day. There are plenty of ranks to choose from, and there are plenty who would be more than happy to help you within whatever one you choose."

Now, for the topic of himself. Where did he start? He wouldn't tell the mare his life story, of course, that was simply for Romani and Mirage to know; so he would simply say the basics. "I joined the Edge last season, and my mate just recently joined, as well. We are busy rearing our first child at the moment, so it's been quite the adventure so far," he added with a chuckle, hoping that such personal information would cause any discomfort in the other mare. Now, however, Xanthos thought it only right to ask Mikali a little of her own history.

"What about you?" He questioned with another warm smile, "We all have a reason for wandering into the Threshold."

talk talk talk

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor</style>
World's Edge WeyrLeader
In the morning light let my roots take flight
Watch me from above like a vicious dove</style>

Had everything turned to questions in my mind? Surely there was some reason for the doubt that rode upon my shoulders when all seemed to wear a crown of red. Perhaps I hadn’t had enough sleep or maybe I was just losing my mind, but whatever the case, I was more than glad to see the morning rise. Across the lands, the sun cast rays of sharp purples and blues across the ocean and they would linger until the heat set in as a reminder that all things die or go away. I didn’t want to believe such adversity to be the truth and in most cases I didn’t; I lived in relative peace here in the Edge but, today, everything seemed different. When I waded through the mists, I did not find pleasure- I found bliss. When I listened to the soft crashing of deadly waves upon the shore below, I did not find fear- I found longing. When I looked down upon the beautiful creature that was my daughter, I did not find love- I found eternal devotion. In this new light of the world, I did not find uncertainty, but instead found cause. Had everything turned to questions in my mind? Maybe they had at one time, but now… only answers remained.

The days had only been few since I’d been name King of this heartland and I found that it was blessing in and of itself that I wore the title, but I still felt as if something were owed. It all seemed so superficial on my part because there was still much to prove and still much to figure out. Mirage had seen years with these creatures and I had nothing in comparison to her reign, but had I not heart? Had I not intent and the determination to see it thrive? Perhaps I had grown to overthink myself and set limits where none were needed. It was time to throw out the halfhearted smiles and learn to feel with my head and heart intertwined. Something was certainly owed, but I dare say that I owed it all to myself- a little self-esteem was something that would carry me a long way. Or at least, I hoped.

Along the cliff, I moved with cat-like grace, merely pacing its face as if the waters below told stories of the damned. I was content to amuse them as I peered down below, but the sound of soft voices seemed to rise above the roaring not only from the waves but in my head as well. Part of me desired the solitude while the other longed heartily to immerse myself in distraction, so I paused in my dwelling to debate my options. However, when the two mounted the rise upon which I had claimed with the pretense of privacy, I couldn’t help the warm smile that parted the dark of my lips. It appeared as if Xanthos had been to the Threshold recently because the musty smell of the claiming grounds still clung to his coat. But of course, I was more than delighted to serve him company along with his unnamed guest upon his return- was this part of my duty now? If anything, I was pleasurable enough that if it were, I’d have no trouble adjusting to a habit that already plagued me.

Good morning to the both of you. I’m quite glad to find that I’m not the only one who’s got half the mind to be up and moving so early.” I gestured out over the wide expanse of the sea, hoping that they too would see the brilliant ribbons of color that hung above the constant rise and fall of the swells. When I had felt that they’d sufficient time to enjoy the monotonous crashing of the tide, I turned back to them with curious eyes. I held no judgment and sought no explanation from the mare in our wraith’s company, but one could not help to wonder why she had chosen the Edge. When I had come to these doors so long ago, I had seen opportunity and a chance for change and growth… But what I saw in this mare’s eyes was not excitement or even curiosity, no, instead her dual colored gaze only reflected an old sadness- one that I would not question until another time.

I’m Thor and who might you be?” For all intents and purposes, I directed my attention to the mare because it was not Xanthos who needed to resolve his past grievances. He was a devoted member of the Edge, quite happy with a family of his own and one that was very much in the present. I nodded to him deep thanks for his attentions and efforts not only in the Threshold but in general activities as well. It was slightly uneasy because not long ago, it was I who stood in the Grulla’s footsteps and Mirage in mine. One day, I hoped that leading would become simpler because even when I felt as if I had everything under control, I still felt a bit foolish under the scrutiny of my herd.

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Unregistered
your heart is an empty room

As he speaks of family, your stomach turns on itself; it is a word that is synonymous with pain, betrayal, secrets. It had been branded as something to avoid within your tangled mind, something that was cross and vile, that held together only for as long as it suited. Family -- it had never been more to you than that, and even as he speaks the opposite, the trees that slowly pass, the salty smack of sea-air in stark contrast to the forest, and the beams of light become more and more apparent become a little more daunting. You teeter on a thin line within the confines of your mind; afraid to let go of the ideals dictated to you throughout your life, afraid to accept change, and wanting it so desperately. He continues, distracting you from cryptic, needless thoughts that needn't be decided at the moment, injecting a light-heartededness into your steps. 'What are their names?' It seems strange, even to you, asking a stranger of his family, perhaps even a little rude; but there is something in the way he talks of it, however briefly, that causes a curiosity in you. For while girls day-dream of the mothers they'll be one day, you always shunned the idea altogether, afraid to repeat the same mistakes of your family. It was - is - a foreign concept to you still, freedom; how could you allow it when you don't fully understand it yourself?

Asking for reasons, you shake your head, relishing the kiss of the cool air against the places your hair rustles, a small, transient smile being offered as the boy penetrates your thoughts once more. 'I learned of love, and the sting of heartbreak.' You turn from him then, mismatched eyes dancing from the silk of his skin to the lingering mists, anything to quell the growing ache. 'It is a hard lesson, and I couldn't ( can'twon'tneverwill ) cope.' You could relish in the way that you two had been now, despite how annoying it had been then. The way he used to sing quietly, oh! how you miss the voice, despite the resonating notes in your mind, your heart; how you miss the touch, though your skin still burns. The man you lusted for seemed inconsequential now, to you, eclipsed by the things his departure ( betrayal, betrayal ) had forced you to realize. It is with this thought that the shadow of another catches your attention, sends your gaze shooting up to the bulk of his body, stopping you in your tracks as he speaks, and while it is comparatively soft to what you expected, it is still just the slightest bit imposing.

In truth, you can't remember the last time you had slept, and while exhaustion hangs on every feature of your body, you smile instead of correcting him, briefly following his attentions of the sea, the blossoming sunrise. It is only as you turn back to him that you notice the sprout of bone and feather from his shoulders, too small to be anything more than useless. You cringe slightly, pulling marginally closer to the boy at your side, a twinge of sympathy and guilt resting upon your heartstrings. How cruel to be given a freedom, only to be unable to exercise it. But how, you muse silently, if only in attempt to forget the emptiness that had begun to fill your heart, can you miss something you never experienced in the first place? 'Mikali.' It is almost without hesitation that you answer, a smile proffering from your presumed awkwardness, lips pursing once more: 'I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times, but allow me to be but one of them: thank you both for welcoming me into your home, it is truly something beautiful.' Your eyes dance with something new, alight with a misplaced mischievousness, perhaps a genuine eagerness. It had been long overdue, the time for change, and while you cling to the shaky courage of someone ready, waiting, to die, you breathe easily.

* ew, haha.

xxsimplicity-stock | fantasydesignstock @ da

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

Xanthos was no stranger to the ill feelings of loneliness. He'd felt it on many a cold nights inside the Basin, nestled by himself in the groves of the great pines, and even before then, when the God of the Spark had not yet bestowed the land upon the unicorns. There had been other times, of course, such as when Romani had been taken away by the crimson-tinted mare Ophelia, but luckily... All of that loneliness was in the past.

Even as they walked, the grullo could tell that the mare had something on her mind. Did she not like her new home? Xanthos would not force her to say, as he knew nobody else would, but surely that was not the problem. Though before he can divulge much more thought into the concept, she speaks, asking him a most surprising question. It was of his family, simply inquiring of their names, and as he answered a warm smile pulled at his dark lips once more. "Romani is her name; she is the golden protector of the Edge, and our daughter is Jasiri. I'm certain you'll see her tearing across the land soon enough."

As the came to the zenith of the cliffs, the grullo's golden eyes met the familiar form of their newest Weyrleader, Thor the Gentle Heart. Picking his head up a bit more, Xanthos nickered a soft greeting, and set to closing the gap between the bay, himself and Mikali. "It is a lovely morning," he replied with a respectful nod of his head, "How could I stand to miss it?"

Xanthos had successfully brought Mikali home, a job well done, and it seemed that the Wraith was no longer needed. Thor directed his attention on Mikali, asking of her name, but the grullo did not mind. Perhaps he would have the pleasure to speak more in depth with Mikali, or maybe she would pursue rank as a Wraith and train beneath himself and Ink. With so much happening throughout Helovia as of late, it would be necessary for the Edge to gain more.

"Pardon, my liege," he spoke up only when it felt an appropriate time, "But I must take leave to check on Jasiri. If I am needed, I am just to the north."

[If he is not needed, then Xanthos wanders off. If he is, though, I will post him again. <3]

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

I felt oddly at ease with Xanthos and Mikali at my side and perhaps I was just imagining the comfort of wallowing in company when I felt so small in spite of everything around me that was suddenly becoming so large. When had I allowed myself to step back and process all that was shifting around me? Maybe one day I would be able to make sense of all that I felt and all that I saw. Over the cliff’s face, the tide was rising and the constant rushing of the waves drew my attention away from the mare and our Wraith. Looking out over the lip, I watched as the sea moved brilliantly below. It was one mass full of so much life that was far beyond my own; I wondered how it felt to be so ceremonious, so free… Maybe it would feel just like I felt now as I stared out across the horizon.

The mare’s quiet tones reached through my reverie and into my mind and perhaps I found myself listening outwardly but it was hard to say much for my inward attentions. Even now, I knew that my mind was slipping and running far from the present and I was trying desperately to take hold of my curiosity but when I finally turned my head back to Mikali, it was as if I were looking at a different mare entirely. Had I really been so self-absorbed that I had not recognized the beauty that stood before me? She looked so at ease with the morning casting pale shades of light along her steely coat. I was more than proud to call her a loyal Edge resident not only because she was a sight for sore eyes, but because she was just as well versed. I often looked for such attributes when I too visited the Threshold and I would be sure to commend Xanthos for his choice. “Welcome Mikali.

The Edge is certainly of place of beauty but I find there are many things that make it… home. However, I do question why you wish to call it such? What is it that you seek here among our many comforts?” I smile warmly at the girl, hoping that she was as intelligible as I had formerly thought because her answer to such a question would determine such assumptions. In fact, her answer would be something that defined her and I hoped that she saw it as a gauge of sorts as well… This was her chance to prove to me that her allegiance was true. I knew that not all came in search of anything in particular, but surely there was something that motivated her. I wanted to reach beneath the surface of her cool formalities to reveal more than her icy heart.

The turning of hooves upon the stone drew me away from the mare to look upon Xanthos who looked upon the verge of departure. I hadn’t any need to make him stay because all would be handled in the same manner with or without him, though I hoped that I would be able to thank more extensively him for his efforts at some time or another. “Thank you Xanthos; please give my best to your family. I would also ask your permission to find you at a later time if you’ve ever a free moment- I feel it is long overdue that we get to know one another my friend.” I had thought about it many times considering I felt it part of my duty as WeyrLeader to know each of my followers. They were, after all, an integral part of my success and I owed them my servitude and respect. I did not want to assume the role of a greedy tyrant and I planned to make sure that since I had not risen as such, I would not fall as such either.
Thor

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered

You watch as his attentions wax and wane, the wallflower that you had always been destined to become. You had watched, as you watch now, when your father left and your mother crumbled; you had watched as if nothing more than a ghost when the days dragged into months and that boy with kaleidoscope eyes fell head over heels as you taught him to dance, how to swallow lies. When your heart fragmented and scattered when he left, you had done nothing but watch. It was only after that you learned to cry and to hurt as you buried your memories and the sentimental things you never cherished enough beneath the snow that you did anything more, when you followed him down a path you hadn't come to know quite yet. It is still unfamiliar to you, even transgressed, its turns and dead-ends meaningless to you, as you had not cared to remember. You had left, and while at first you walked, that walk quickly turned into a run. You had utterly forgotten, for a moment, your duty to be nothing if not obedient. Those steps had taught you to question, to defy, and you do not remember them. Instead you remember the ringing in your ears, the water in your eyes and the nothingness within your chest cavity. You remember, for the first time, being completely alone.

Their words are like whispers, and even as you blink, long eyelashes brushing across your cheek, and try to catch the blurry words, they are difficult to understand. 'However, I do question why you wish to call it such? What is it that you seek here among our many comforts?' You hesitate only long enough to be distracted by the flutter of motion at your side, the glimmer of innate comfort fading as the tawny-skinned boy retreats, returns to the arms of a family like you never knew. In his absence, you shiver, stained-glass eyes shifting through the contours of his darkened face, the subtle hints at what you guess is expectancy, judgment. And it is different, for you; you had never been anything more than a shadow, listless and transient, someone who was nothing more than a shell, meant to follow orders mindlessly and be shaped, someday, into whatever they thought better for you. You hadn't ever had to prove yourself to anyone; and so you shift on tiny feet, plucking the words and phrases you deem appropriate, though you are hesitant, again, to speak: 'Perhaps to be a part of something bigger than myself.' A humility that is strange to say the least surges through your heart, and you sigh, trying your best to mask the discomfort brought on by putting your feelings to words.

'I know of what dictatorship is, not family. I would like to learn; there isn't a single doubt within me that I am in the right place.' You smile sheepishly, tilting your head enough for dark tendrils to fall into your eyes, cover your blushing cheeks. 'Aside from that, I wish to be of use in whatever I am deemed fit for. I wish to better this family, and myself, in whichever ways I can.' The Qian, you can recall, though you do not repeat the name in fear of pushing him to believe you understand more than you do, the feeling of being forever inferior holding you back from truly being yourself. Though you lack formality, the situation seems to call for it, and while you struggle, you can only hope that it is enough.

When had I become so cynical? What distant memories had encouraged me to resort to the painful remembrance of her touch, her hot breath upon my neck… Myriad. Here against the lingering shadows, her face seemed to appear amongst the crests and falls of my imagination. The folds of each thought seemed to swell achingly against my skull and for a moment, I had completely forgotten where I was, who I was with… Her ghost seemed to emanate from the sudden pinching in my chest at the Mikali’s sentiments, but I could not hear her words so much as I could feel them. I had always longed for so much, as much as I now found before me and yet the emptiness that accompanied me was altogether foreign in spite of the bustling world around me. I turned my face into the young mare’s own, finding some kind of revelation in her gaze; my world had been entirely flipped and yet, I still found only loneliness for company. I knew so many and yet knew only parts of them. When would the pieces finally come together to shape something real?

I can show you the meaning of family if that is truly what you desire… though I need something from you as well.” The heat in my gaze had grown into an ardor that I had not felt in some time. That’s not to say that it was fervor of love or the likes, but a sudden need for understanding. I could sense the slight tightening of my jaw that was perhaps only to blame on the lack of sleep and shameless amounts of time spent fretting over this or that, but I was quick to release the tension in fear of finding uncertainty in the mare’s dual-colored gaze. I wondered how she had managed to come by such interesting features and perhaps one day I would ask if it was merely genetics or if it had been something else entirely- fate maybe. Whatever it was, I was suddenly lost in her gaze, wondering if I would ever truly come to know her or if I would only know in her passing. I felt as if I were destined to know such remedies for eternity even if I longed to delve into another’s soul as easily as they accessed mine.

Did I leave an impression with them? Did my name ever roll off of their tongue in casual conversation or was I merely a passing thought?

I need to know one thing, just one thing that you think you can offer us? You wish to better us, but I want to know how you intend to do that.” A heavy sigh followed my inquisition in spite of my former determination. This life had a way of wearing on me; though, I assumed that I was only punishing myself for secrets that were so far removed I couldn’t even dig deep enough to place a name to them anymore. Was I the only one on this earth who felt like they were losing themselves? I had clearly lost my inhibitions and I was all too afraid to find out what would be soon to follow.
Thor

Unregistered

'I need to know one thing, just one thing that you think you can offer us? You wish to better us, but I want to know how you intend to do that.' Your brows furrow as the words sink in, the dancing embers within your eyes focusing on his own, smoldering and intent. Never had you needed to follow your own rules, your own guidelines and expectations. They had always been set out before you, without any room to deviate. You had never been asked what you wanted or how, or had to decide what to do. It is because of this that you look at him with a certain brand of stoicism, though your eyes betray the inner-workings of your thoughts, the confusion blaring in your very own ears. 'I,' You stutter, turning your head down and away from the river-stone boy, ribbons of ink cascading over your face. 'I'm afraid I don't understand.' It is barely audible from beneath the layers of your hair, and you shuffle your weight, suddenly uncomfortable within his presence.

From the corner of your eye you watch him, study the lines of his face and the weariness tucked in between. You can only make guesses as to what he would be expecting of you, having just met you, and none of them make any sense to you. There is nothing, no hint of a clue that you can pick up on, and so you breathe quietly, inhaling painfully slowly. 'I ... don't know what I'm truly good for.' You confide in him despite the sinking feeling of inferiority, though it is unknown to you why you feel the need to be so naked, so honest. Unknown why you feel the need to stay and be questioned, unknown whether it is just you he ever asked this to or if it were everyone, to better know who resided beneath him. Instead of dwelling you smile apologetically, sweeping your head back up to its full height, still absolutely dwarfed by him. 'Your turn.' It may not be what he wants, or particularly polite, but you shrug it away, skin crawling at the thought of more questions that you can't possibly answer. 'What is it that you desire most?' Besides, what harm is it to know him too, if only just a little?

Thor</style>
World's Edge WeyrLeader

She shifted, obviously confused about what I was trying to ask. I didn’t blame her for feeling at a loss when it came to delving into herself to find the answers that would ultimately help me understand just who Mikali was. But, I certainly hadn’t expected her to lose sight of herself completely. However, I had been there at one time; I had felt as though I wasn’t quite sure of the skills that I had to offer. All she needed was a bit of persistent nudging and she would be able to answer my questions one day. However, until then, I had no problem with the focus resting fully on my shoulders once again. I smiled lightly at her before turning to gaze off into the distance. She sought a way out from beneath my scrutiny, but I intended to make her realize that she would be perfectly safe in my company- I held no judgment for the girl simply because this was just the beginning of her journey in Helovia.

I watched as the waves began to roll in with the high tide and I pondered just how nice it would feel to have them wash up and over my knees. The water would bring certain relief to my tired body and yet the idea sounded blasphemous. To stand on the rocks below would also bring certain death and until the day came that the Gods asked for my life, I would simply stand at the cliff face and peer down into my own uncertainty.

I looked back to the silvery mare with ebony painted threads, hoping to find curiosity written onto her crystalline features. She had no idea where I’d been or who I really was, just as I did not know her. But I wanted to abolish those walls between us and find common ground- find trust. “I will give you time to figure out your answer and then we will revisit my question to you. I would hope that you could find purpose here in the Edge.” I fixed a warm gaze on her dual-colored eyes, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. She would find comfort here in time and then and only then would she finally feel secure enough to relieve herself of the past from which she ran.

I desire comfort and love and all things that make this place home. I cannot say that I’ve ever truly acquired such commodities but one day I wish to have them all. I’ve been blessed with a beautiful daughter, a loving mate, and a homeland in which I can now call me own. But I still feel as though none of this is mine… It’s all too surreal.” I turned away from her for a moment trying to understand where I was headed with my admissions. I wanted her to understand that no matter where we came from, no matter what we did… we were all the same in one way or another. “I want to fulfill the purpose I’ve been given, even if it still doesn’t entirely make sense to me.

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

The distant murmur of voices was what alerted the ashen fae to the presence of three beings; a king, a knight , and a damsel. Silver locks fell over soft golden eyes as the mustang ventured closer to the group, her ears swiftly pressing against her cranium with disappointment when she witnessed the dusty stallion moving away. His departure was not enough to shatter the spirits of the newly appointed wraith, however, and so she continued on her path to join the GentleHeart at his winged side.

"Good morrow to you, Thor." Sulwyn's eyes lit up with pride and wonder as she took in his full image, still under the joyous effects that their herd meeting had bestowed upon her when word came that he was the newly appointed King. No stabs of envy or jealousy flared up in the mare, however; all that the petite figurine could feel now was admiration for her close companion. What was there to be jealous of, anyhow? Sulwyn was an ambitious soul, but she had no desire to take on a task as daunting as the one that her winged friend had acquired. She was quite content with her own line of work, and she still had much to do at that.

"I'm sorry if I came in at the wrong time... I've just been trying to get to know the equines that I will be protecting." A wave of anxiety washed over her sterling form as she realized that she had not yet acknowledged the beauty standing before her. The mustang wondered for a moment if Thor was acting as flirtatious as he had been when first meeting her, but brushed the thought aside and added, "My name is Sulwyn, miss, but do not bother returning my greeting, for I will leave you be."

It was odd, really, to observe the slowly departing form of the charcoal femme. It seemed as if she was eager to meet them in one moment, but in the next, she became too shy and ashamed to carry on.

{OOC: Sorry, just thought that Mikali and ulwyn had to meet someday. x3}
ooc

Unregistered

He forgives you - rather - does not hold your ignorance against you in the first place. A soft sigh emits, and the tension in your body that you had been unaware of follows with it, removing the weight of judgment from you. As he speaks, however, you struggle to follow the rivulets of water, each going a different path that you yourself had never truly experienced. Comfort, it is something that you believe that no one can always go without; that everyone finds their own medium and sticks to it. You have the shell of yourself that you retreat to, your solitude. Love - you knew it, but you knew it to be diluted, twisted, manipulative, nothing more. He continues with a family, and you think to the boy that you used to know; that jaded smile, beautiful in all its imperfections, those eyes like summer that made you melt in ways you still do not believe you will ever know again. You had never thought about it on your own, starting a family, but it does not stop your mind from wandering now. You put together the way that Xanthos had spoken of the pieces of his heart clenched within his wife's hands, his daughter's eyes, the way that this man in front of you seems to long despite having what he wishes for, and though the vision is still immeasurably distant, foreign even, to you, you smile vaguely at a picture of his face, his eyes, your paper-thin bones and ribbons of raven hair.

As he presses on you blink rapidly, almost startled as the child, what always could have been but nevermore, is ripped from the front of your mind. "You're surprising, and lovely all the same. Too many would wish for power, for women and immaterial things." Your eyes follow his face, a small and frail smile pushing at the corners of your taut lips, heart skipping a beat for seemingly no reason in particular. The ring of a feminine voice pulls you from him, and you take a hesitant step back as she looks to you, the deep sienna of her eyes boring into your skin, of which hers is only shades darker. There is something about her that causes you to hold her gaze, smile cordially as she introduces herself, the name filling up a space in your heart that was never meant for anyone, for anything. Sulwyn. Before you can so much as realize it, she is disappeared, lost within the shadow-filled air swirling inconsequentially after her, long fingers reaching for the gray of her lithe body. You sigh, your gaze long to linger on place she stood, suddenly too empty for comfort though your mind has forgotten. "Protect?" You pause, slowly looking to him from under those long, long eyelashes. "How is she to protect?" It is not condescending, merely spoken as if an afterthought to the uncomfortable impact her mere presence has on you.

Thor</style>
World's Edge WeyrLeader

Her words were inviting and strong, which made me turn to look once more into her dual-colored eyes. I hadn’t expected her praise, nor thought that I’d earned it in any way… but it was surprising all the same. I nodded slowly and smiled, trying to think of the words that would somehow express my gratitude.

But they never came.

It’s safe to say that I was little startled to see Sulwyn after all this time, despite her living in the Edge alongside me. I was more than delighted to find her well, but my attentions were completely thrown after such narrow concentration. Xanthos had been and gone, leaving only the morning to accompany Mikali and I, which was pleasant enough even after the soft gold’s and purples of dawn had faded. She was certainly interesting company to keep and I held no reservations about the girl, but I suppose there’s always room for a bit of unexpected conversation as I’d like to call it. “Good morning Sulwyn, I suppose you’re just as eager as the rest of us early-morning risers. I have to admit that the Edge is most elegant at this time of day.” I smiled warmly at the mustang, hoping to make her feel welcome in spite of her sudden appurtenance. However, the way her shoulders twitched and the way her eyes seemed a little too bright made me think that she wouldn’t be staying long.

She never seemed to be much of a stationary creature. She enjoyed roaming, as it was her heritage.

However, it was still a bit shocking just how quickly she’d come and gone. It was as if I’d suddenly contracted the plague and she feared that I’d somehow infect her as well. I guess that was another thing I would never understand about mares- they always had an ulterior motive for nearly everything they did and I would never once be able to figure it out.

For a moment, I watched her go and I found that it she looked majestic against the parting mists. She was certainly a beautiful creature, though nothing like Tamira with her chocolate skin and dazzling eyes. Damn, I was hopelessly in love and there was nothing I could do to avoid the effects of its aftermath.

As I slowly came back to reality, accompanied with thoughts of Tamira and my sweet Essetia, I was lucky enough to catch the quiet words of a dumbfounded Mikali. I felt like quite the fool since I’d arrogantly forgotten to tell her a bit more about how the Edge actually worked. There was so much that she didn’t know and yet was more than likely curious about. I could have kicked myself for neglecting her on such matters- I was King after all. I needed to be more routine about how I introduced recruits… However, I couldn’t recall Mirage being anything other than obliging so perhaps it would be wise to adopt some of her tactics. It would certainly help me in the long run I would assume. “Sulwyn is one of the Edge’s Wraiths, or perhaps you could call her a spy. She’s more apt to perform sneak missions while Warriors tend to handle the more physical side of battle. However, there are many ranks in which you can learn. I was a Nurse once before becoming WeyrLeader. Or perhaps you’d be interested in becoming a Philosopher? You are not limited to any one thing though because there is always room for advancement and change. I guess my question to you earlier would be vital in helping you decide where you belong because I am quite firm in my belief that there is something for everyone here.

I turned my face against the breeze of the waters beyond the cliff and smiled. “So Mikali, what is it that you think you can offer the Edge? Or do you believe that you still need more time?

OOC| Yuck to this piece of crap. I'm sorry..

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

How have these mists come to be my home? How have I let the dull roar of waves against these cliffs take over my whole being, and let me become so at ease with them? Should I not be aching for the comforts of my own home? Should my heart not be grieving for the deaths of my parents? No. They are not dead. At least not in body, but perhaps in my soul. How have I come to give up so easily; to run from my fear, and to refuse to embrace it?

I am a coward.

There, was that so hard to say? Even now, I have allowed my small sense of self to drive me away from the presence of others. Why do I do this to myself? Ha, but isn't that the beauty of it? Do we not all have monsters to face, a darker side that we must all learn to cherish, to embrace, to accept; and yet I have blatantly turned away from all that. Is it still too late? Can my heart still transform into something new, and can my mind open the smallest of windows, so that some light might be given the chance to wrap it in its warm embrace?

Even now, when I spend each precious moment to argue with myself over such philosophical things, I have managed to leave even my companions alone in the dark. It is not fair of me to let them stand alone in this suffocating fog, where I myself am much too uncomfortable, so I turn around to rejoin the Gentle Heart at his broad shoulder.

Something is still amiss, and the mood has suddenly become that of a hopeful one -- all thanks to Thor's words, which have managed to put me on a much higher pedestal than that I would have set for myself -- and it shatters my solemn mood. I do not want him to feed this silver mare information without telling her the whole story, so I manage to add on to what he has already said.

"I would not call myself a spy, but what the Gentle Heart has told you is true." My ears swivel back and press lightly against the soft wisps of my hair, and my body sways with unease. It is not my place to speak over the word of a leader, but I manage to say, "I chose to live this lifestyle because war is not for me. I do not care to shed the blood of another creature, but I still yearn to do what is best for the Qian and all its members. Sometimes turning invisible," and it is at this point in my short explanation that I step back into the surrounding mists, concealing my stout figure, "is the best way to protect those that you love."

Holding the duo-toned gaze of the athletic mare in front of me is not an easy task, but somehow I manage to do so without batting an eye. Her form is blurred behind the curtain of wispy gatherings of clouds, and so I step back towards her. I do not know what it is that I see in those soft orbs of hers, but I can sense that my words have ignited a spark of interest inside her. I can't help but wonder if she is the plug to the gaping hole inside my heart.
{OOC: Low on muse. Gonna see if Sulwyn can handle first person. I think it failed. v_v}

Unregistered

What is this?

He speaks, the quiet comfort in his voice a constant against the drone of waves, the sea-tinged air that billows through alert ears, flaring nostrils. He is a constant against the changing waters and the shifting tensions ever-present above our heads; he is beautiful and he acts as an anchor for your weary heart without you even realizing it. He is a taste of salvation and confidence like you have never known; something that you didn't think you would ever need. But now his voice booms within the silence of your head, a beacon within a bleakness that you have always known, you do not think that you want to be without. Your mind lingers on the boy that was always meant to never be yours, as you were always meant to be his, and you feel a tug of something that causes brows to furrow, a multitude of emotion to burst into curious eyes. He speaks your name and you are only vaguely aware of it, the softness that presses against you, rendering you breathless for just a moment. It is hazy and defused, the way he speaks, and your ears ring as the sound resonates and settles. He asks of you what you have to give yet again, and painfully, you rise to meet him, frail in the face of change.

Just as you were ever-shifting as the sea, pliable and inconsistent, it had never been your choice, what you would become. And so you blink shyly, finding nothing to hide behind under the intensity of his gaze; writhing, you find nothing but fear. It trickles through you, at first a pinhole within your hummingbird heart, quickly flooding through you until you shiver, muscles tensing with the desire to run. Naked and transient, you feel so suddenly that you are made of glass. 'And what,' you tremble, pale lids flickering over draining eyes. 'What if I should fail?' A moment of weakness, of indulgence into insecurities that you had never been aware of. It is shoved away the moment the docile voice of the girl sounds in the mists again, your attentions drawn to her lingering frame. She claims that war is not for her, and you smile feebly. It hadn't ever been something that you thought was necessary, coming to violent blows of the body. You preferred the mind, something that presented challenge within the novelty of a new opponent. She holds you within the softness of her hands and you willingly stay, your smile growing the longer she cradles you, renewing a sense of belonging, assuredness filling in the gaps of your doubt; she already had you. 'I would like to know the way of the shadows as a wraith, if that is alright with everyone.' An abrupt change, but you settle into yourself easily, proffering a content smile, hoping that she hadn't heard of, noticed, your brief self-doubt.