the Rift

Dangerous Lies [Psyche]

Nadira Posts: 76
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 :: 2 years (Birdsong)
s3ilver

it has come to pass...

The snow-covered unicorn had traveled as far north as she could possibly bear to handle the bitter and freezing cold. Granted the spring air journeyed over the terrain, but not nearly as comforting as in the southern part of Helovia. She had grown knowledgeable of the lands with in as little time as she had been given, mainly due to her curiosity. She had dreaded the northern spirits and here she was, cursing under her breath for having ventured so far away from the warmth. Her first introduction to the Basin Lady, Psyche, had gone pretty well she had thought. But when she had been asked to visit the most northern part of Helovia, and meet in private, Nadira had begun registering second thoughts to joining the Basin.

The bitter claws of Jack Frost scraped against her side as she pushed farther north. She had no doubt in her mind, this was the first test, and if she past, only then would the meeting between the two mares take place, if she survived that is. But why wouldn’t she survive, she thought to herself. If she couldn’t manage a little hell here, then what the fuck had she survived on Earth?

Shaking her dial, a next thought crossed her thoughts. She had her own suspicions, but she had laced her comment with slight and subtle venom about having found the unicorn race steadily thriving. But residing where it was unbearable and of all things, in hiding? That was no place to be and she hoped maybe she could voice her opinions of this in deeper detail to Pysche that is if she would hear her out…

Despite the frigid climate of the northern territory, the pristine landscape was enough to draw the breath from one’s lungs. The only thing the paled mare could see light of the scenario, was spring had melted enough of the snow laden floor so she didn’t have to plow her way through. Though needless to say, it was still knee deep, which was enough for her to be disgusted with. Oh well, she thought, once this visit was done, hopefully this would be the last time she had to come to this hell ridden hole of the territory lands.

Clearing a relatively mild mound of a hill, she registered the dark frame ahead of her as Psyche’s. She was hard to miss. If it had been blistering winds, Nadira would have been able to reach Psyche unseen, but it happened that day it was clear and sunny. Just so bitterly cold, the want of a thick fur coat was the main focus point of her thoughts at this moment. Even as her mind screamed no, her movements picked up speed in the direction of the darker unicorn. It was as if there was no snow to hold back the white mare’s free flowing strides or hindering her harmonious rhythm as she came to Psyche’s side. Delicate ears faced the other mare and she dipped her façade in acknowledgement.

“What is it that you wish to discuss with me, so far from civilization.”

Granted Nadira had her own concerns she wished to discuss, but she would let the other mare go first. Maybe Psyche would answer some of her questions and concerns and save her the extra hassle of speaking her mind and later biting her tongue for speaking too much. Psyche was not one for displays, but straight to the point. And that was perfectly all right with the timeless essence. She would just bide her time and wait her turn, and in the mean time, answer any questions that may of be concern or just for curiosities sake.

Thoughts || Normal Post || "Previous Speech" || "I am talking."

N A D I R A
the essence of timeless beauty

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
THE PLAGUE
Psyche

It was a clear and cloudless day on the Steppe, the kind that was normal for this time of year but would have been a rare treat in Frostfall. Even so, it was bitterly cold, not that the shadow-mare really felt it. She had lived in the north long enough to have grown a thicker, warmer pelt that kept her happy in the frigid temperatures of the north and discouraged any potential summertime trips to the south. She had never realized how hot it got there before!

On this day, she had set out from the Basin, intending to speak with Nadira alone. The silver fae's words when she had visited the northern land had struck the shadow-mare as somewhat odd. She had inhabited the Foothills, but she had hinted at being excited to find more unicorns. How could this be? Could she be a racist in disguise? Could the jackal turn her into an asset? She had already told the youngling that she would be welcome in the Basin; but would she even choose to join? Or could she be used elsewhere?

"What is it that you wish to discuss with me so far from civilization?" Nadira's voice rang out. The jackal turned to acknowledge her, noting the respectful bob of the head. "You perplex me, my dear," she informed the fae. After a pause, she spoke again. "You lived in the Foothills for some time, and yet when your home was invaded, you chose to come to a unicorn-only land. Why?"

"Talk talk talk."
CRUX
Image Credit
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Hidden Account
s3ilver

it has come to pass...

Nadira ignored the seeping icicle sensation that hugged her physique. This was now or never. Either she wanted a home, or she didn’t. Either she would fight for her own kind, or she could become soft hearted… which had gotten her nowhere except broken hearted and betrayed. She let the pent up air curl from her nostrils as it entered onto the frigid breeze of the steppe. The question the poured forth from Psyche was only to be expected, so when it was voiced, Nadira held her cool and kept her gaze level with the mare’s .

“Living with those who mingled with others not of their race, I came to find through hardship, that they scattered and fled. Letting excuses override the reason to stand up and fight for what they believed and protecting what was theirs. They were not bound by race or bound by the blood that made them who they are.”

Nadira stopped for a moment. Letting her words sink in. She rightly knew she appeared dainty and meek. But she was a force to be reckoned with and she felt the ember within her begin to flame and ignite the passion and desire that had been simmering for too long. She may not thirst for the blood of the unpure, but she did not like seeing history repeat itself. The unicorn has been slowly erased from history and she would fight to keep her kind remaining. She did not know if she could bear thinking she was the last again.

“It is hard for one to live as if she is the only one left of her kind. To defend a belief and then be betrayed by those she thought she could trust. I have repeated my mistake and wish not to do it again. “

She glazed her cold sapphire gaze over Psyche and could see understanding in her orbs. She felt the numbness take her. She was no longer virgin to the bitter sweet of the arctic terrain. She, too, had been hiding. But her hiding was not geared towards building a force to take back what had once belonged to the unicorn. No. She had been hiding to preserve her life. And maybe that was what she needed now to propel her forward. She doubted any unicorn on Helovia had faced the mortal cage of a human body. And she wished they never would.

“I may seem like a simple mare, Psyche, who is easily persuaded, but I do not feel the need to explain or prove my past to you. You would have not wasted your breath if your goal was to release me from this world. So my only question is, what is your offer and why me?”

The purple silvery liquid that coursed through her veins was thick and sticky. It was of an old race: the last race of the unicorns to be driven from earth. She did not remember how the other unicorns had escaped, or the other worlds that housed them and kept them safe. But it seemed that humans were not the issue here, in Helovia. It was other races of the equine that threatened them. And why? She waited now, for the Basin Lady’s words. Nadira wondered if her words were worthy enough to satisfy Psyche. She would soon find out.

N A D I R A

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
THE PLAGUE
Psyche

The shadow-mare wondered how Nadira was handling the chill of the Steppe. She remembered her own first days in the frigid winterlands, days in which she found herself huddled miserably among those she had not seen in ages, or even those she had never met at all. She hid in the shadow of the various rocks dotting the landscape, sheltering herself from both the harsh winds and the snowdrifts that had graced the terrain during the unbearably long Frostfall. Remembering, the jackal decided that if Nadira could not handle these mild Tallsun temperatures, then she would not last among them.

The silver fae met her gaze squarely, and the Empress was vaguely impressed. She knew that she was in imposing character, to say the least, and for one seemingly as meek as Nadira to refuse to look away was new. Perhaps she would prove useful after all. White puffs drifted from her maw as she spoke, speaking of the ties of race and how it binds a herd together or rips them apart. Although the shadow-mare did not necessarily find her argument entirely valid - after all, the Edge had been composed of only unicorns, and they had found themselves scattered by mixed inferiors - she listened in what she assumed was a polite way, her amber gaze never leaving the mare's face.

The Lady began to think that she may had misjudged the ivory femme. Although she seemed kind, meek even, there was something impassioned about the way she spoke of her hardships. She spoke of being the last of her kind, being betrayed, being persecuted, perhaps, although that was purely a guess on the part of the shade. Perhaps it was the coldness that invaded the mare's gaze that convinced her; perhaps it was her way of speaking. Perhaps she truly managed to convince the jackal-heart that what she said was true. Regardless, the Empress decided that she would at least be given a choice.

"You are correct, my dear. Had I thought you were a simple mare, I would not have bothered to speak with you," she agreed thoughtfully. "You have spoken of betrayal at the hands of those inferior to you - perhaps those are not your exact words, but it is, in fact, the truth." A pause. "If you join with me, I can promise you that such a betrayal will never happen again to you, for my goal is to promote our kind, to rule over those who are lesser than we.

"Among those who follow me, I am considered a protector of our race, you see. And if I understand you correctly, our goals and your words seem to align. My proposition is this: you lived among them in the Foothills. My land is suspect, for we accept only unicorns. But you, darling, you are not of my land, and they may tell you things that we may not know otherwise. Join my cause; act as our spy. Travel. Gather information. Report to me. In return, you have our support and protection, and you have a place in our world when it truly becomes ours."

"Talk talk talk."
CRUX
Image Credit

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Hidden Account
s3ilver

it has come to pass...

It didn’t take long for the white unicorn to become a symbolism of the snow that doused the northern lands with its cold and bitterness. Her alabaster canvas represented the crystallized ice and she could feel the deflection of her emotions and feelings like the sunlight against the snow. Soon she would have nothing left. Nadira could feel the frigid talons sucking everything she was out of her as the words spoken were soaked up like a dry sponge. Was this what it felt like to become cold? To loose all sense of caring?

There was a pinching nerve that was growing with severity and the burning sensation of her ribs collapsing made it hard to breathe. But she stood like a statue. If this were what it took to forget the pain and suffering, she would do it. If this meant becoming lifeless and a trained asset in becoming a lethal spy, then she would do it. This would be her life now. And if what Psyche were true, then Nadira had no problem agreeing on an alliance.

Her words were vague, referring to herself, and then their race, and her cause. But then “our spy”, and our support and protection and our world… And it was then that the washed out mistress raised a slight eyebrow to the shadowed mare and the uncertainty in the flicker of her ears was subtle, but visible. What was she talking about? Granted, Nadira would join her, but something wasn’t lining up and Nadira was not about to just accept some lifelong mission if she was not debriefed in more details so she could do her job thoroughly and precisely.

If she was to aid her kind, their kind, their race, she needed more information, or she would be useless in helping them. Grated this was more responsibility, as she was not fighting for just herself, but all unicorns who believed in discrimination and protecting their blood. But even so, when she worked alone, defending and protecting herself, the research she dedicated to had only proved to keep her living.

“Your lyrics are plausible, but I hesitate because what you speak of is vague to me. What I have escaped from keeps me weary of promised things without payment. I do not seek payment or promised lies that cannot be kept.”

She bit her tongue for a moment. She had not forgotten her place. She was still a guest in the presence of an experienced mare, but she would not risk her life for something she did not research. That was a fool and she was not a fool. Gathering her composure once more, she regained her words with more poise.

“I will readily accept your offer, because I can see that what you speak of puts us both on equal understanding. But in return, I will require a further, deeper, and highly classified debriefing of this “our” you speak of.”

Nadira paused again. Speaking too much at once, she felt, never got the same effect or response one usually hopes for. Giving the recipient time to absorb and adhere to what was spoken and register was always a good form to not be seen as a defensive mechanism. Plus, it gave her time to recollect herself and put new meaning and thought behind the words spoken.

“I may be new to this world, which gives me the upper hand in all instances to learn everything and anything I can. But, in aiding you, I need to learn of whom I will also be aiding as well, besides you. I am not new, however, to the concept of collecting data and information that is pricy intel. I do not mean to bargain with you, as what you have offered will do, but a skilled and experienced spy never goes out on the field without a detailed debriefing.”

She wondered how Psyche would take her words. There was truth to them; though however straight forward it may be, she knew she would be an excellent source of information that most of Psyche’s followers possibly could not collect. And being as she had even a hair of an advantage to wield the words she spoke, she did so cautiously and with care. Speaking so straight forward could get anyone in a hustle of hooves flying and teeth being barred, but Nadira had learned to play nicely and she hoped Psyche would she the point she was making.

N A D I R A

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
THE PLAGUE
Psyche

[OOC | SO sorry this took so long - life happened, and I just got back online and off absent today!]

The cold is not easy to endure. It might begin as a shiver, might progress to violent shudders wracking the body. Perhaps you wouldn’t notice the cold as much then, as the shivering would warm you up considerably. But the longer you stand in the cold, the more exhausted your body would become from this continuous movement. The legs will go first as the blood recedes to keep the vital organs strong and warm. But eventually they will be lost to the frigid temperatures, and then you will be lost, too.

The shadow-mare knew all of this and more from her time in the Frostbreath Steppe and beyond. She knew, and by the heavy puffs of vapor coming from the fae’s nostrils, she would bet that Nadira was quickly learning the effects of the northern climate. Even more impressive, she kept her head, speaking in a calm manner, laying out her questions, her arguments, though they weren’t phrased as such. No, she was quite polite in pointing out that the Empress was withholding information. She would be perfect as a spy.

The Lady of the Basin had not been raised to be a spy, but necessity had taught her secrecy. The less one spoke of their secrets, she had found, the less likely they were to be overheard. Of course, she had planned their walk for this very reason. Nadira had thus far not proven to be a foolish mare, and Psyche knew that she would need to offer more explanation to gain her allegiance. And so here they were, on the frozen moors of the Steppe, miles to see in any given direction. She’d like to see someone try to sneak up on them here.

"It would seem that you know more of the world of spying than even I would have given you credit for. You are correct, of course, but as you will come to understand, it is our secrecy that has allowed us to thrive.” She paused, adopting an almost patient tone, as a teacher might assume when delivering a lesson. "Well over a year ago, myself and Mauja the FrostHeart created a secret organization dedicated to furthering the unicorn race. I will not list all of those among our ranks – I’m sure that you understand that were you to be questioned, I would very much hate for all of our information to become your captors’. However, you must know that you may pass your gathered information on to either Mauja or myself.

“Now, as I mentioned, we aim to place our race above all the others. Equines and pegasi have no place within our society, unless it is perhaps as slaves. Perhaps you think this is a harsh viewpoint – but I must ask you why we wear our horns if not as a crown? Regardless of to what degree you share our beliefs, I will not ever force you to do anything against your will. If it is all you desire to gather information, then I will not ask you to fight, I will not ask you to steal. But so long as you remain loyal to us, you will have a place in our regime. Do we have an agreement?”

"Talk talk talk."
CRUX
Image Credit