the Rift

what if [midas]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
You had such a lovely crooked smile
Midas & Ktulu

Several days had passed since the Foothills had been invaded and had been taken over by the Grey. They had moved quickly, filling ranks and accepting those members into their ranks who wanted to belong. Days ran into days and before she knew it almost a week had passed since the last time she had seen Midas. In her embarrassment after the battle she had chosen not to face him. Still, she wondered what it was that had happened to her and the only logical conclusion she could come to in her mind was that her magic had taken more of a toll on her than she had anticipated. Nevertheless she needed to see Midas and thank him for his aid in claiming a land for their own. The thought of asking him to stay in the Foothills with her had passed time and again, but Ktulu always came to the same conclusion. He was just as tied to the Throat as she had been to her dark forest and now the Foothills. Whatever it was between them that bound them together would just have to stand the test of distance.

The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in brilliant shades of red, orange, and gold that gradually morphed into deep purples and finally black. Bright stars twinkled in the sky and a crescent moon hung with them. There were many nights she had spent in this meadow with her sister that felt so very far away. It was in the Thistle Meadow that she discovered her magic and used it on her own father. It was in this meadow that they had came to the decision that had changed the course of their lives. This same meadow that she stole away to to meet with the stallion who had somehow managed to capture her cold, hardened heart and warm it.

Ktulu ventured to the tree that she and Ophelia had called home for the longest and stood waiting, wondering if Midas would remember the promise that he had made her before the invasion, wondering if he longed to see her as she longed to see him. The condescending being in her scoffed at the idea that he would want to see her again after seeing her pathetic performance on the battleground.

The dark mare closed her eyes and sighed, waited for the one she wanted to see to come to her, but after a while of waiting she began to grow doubtful that he would keep his promise and show. A few minutes later her weight shifted as she began to turn back in the direction she had come. Perhaps she was a fool to have gone. If such was the case she would not make the same mistake again.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Would you rise to meet a golden sun?
Midas & Ktulu

Tallsun days passed slowly by, but not a single one ended when I didn’t think of her. Ktulu. My dark temptress that had succumbed to battle; an action whose blame felt weighted on me. If only ‘I’ had been at her side? But...time for regret had passed, I watched with uneasiness that fateful morning as a draft warrior resurrected my beloved and set her upright again. Kri had then taken cherished moment to call her weary bunch back into action. She obviously felt the need to leave now that the fight was won. Kri called us also because there was always that side chance that our home had been attacked while we were away. Of course. I had responded, what else could be done? Though I won’t lie, my flesh was hesitant to leave my wounded heartkeeper without support.

The last to leave the ground was none other than Throats solo general. Feet didn’t budge until I saw those pretty blood red eyes open to string truth that she was going to be fine. I had lowered my head and gently kissed the side of her cheek before opening my wings and filling them with air. One stroke, and then two, I turned and was soaring toward heaven. Following my Sultana with a stern loyalty imbedded into the core of my being.
For I loved her. This midnight woman.

But I also loved the blistering sands from which I had been born too.
And so, a heart was torn into two pieces. One that held utter affection for a lady, and one the adoration of a territory and the family which I guarded. Until the day either or both fell, we would continue this give and take relationship. A relationship built totally on trust that the other would remain pure.

I had come to our meeting spot a few times during the week after our battle, as promised every other day. Each time I came the longing for her increased tenfold till by the end of said week, she was all I could think about. Expectantly my mind began to harbor the worst possibilities and shallow doubts, was she injured? Should I travel to the Foothills? Had her interest in me waned to the point where a response upon my proclamation had been made?

I thought about these things, yes, but to help with the stress my magic keep itself busy. I had gathered gold, and over those days took to practicing in smelting it; spinning the alloys into threads slightly thicker than hair. Each string glittered brilliantly when placed up against the sun, its purity was without flaw for I had taken great care that no foreign metals had entered my work.

Every other day I worked, silently in the field. Sometimes with Cera and Fina, sometimes without company at all. For two evenings I spun gold, making mistake after mistake until finally I had crafted four threads that would bend and flow easily. This glistened brightly and I tucked them away and returned home.

Another day passed. No less eventful then the first, and then it was time for me to return to the meadow.

I slowly maneuvered my way across the sands. Walking instead of flying. I was doubtful that Ktulu would be at our meeting spot, she had most likely gotten swamped with a thousand other things that needed tending to. Or perhaps she no longer cared. Yet. I would travel each promised day until she told me otherwise, or until I passed from this world. The four golden strings I had spun a few days prior to now lay beneath my downy feathers that were attached between the shoulders. My feet touched sparse grass instead of sand and eventually our spot came into sight. What lay in the distance made my head rise and heart skip a beat. Jaws were still clamped shut, she couldn’t hear with mortal ears the cry of my heart nor the amount of joy that was felt.

Throwing myself forward into a full out gallop I dashed for her, taking note that it was her rear that I approached. Was she leaving? “Ktulu!” I called out, hopeful that her ears might catch the sound and she would turn. She might think me mirrored to a child for bashfully charging to meet her, but I cared not. Head sought her face as my body skid to a halt beside that taller feminine frame, unrestrained I reached out to nuzzle her nose and then travel the distance along her neck in affectionate greeting. Her scent, so familiar and strong made me shiver with delight. “Words cannot express how I’ve missed you….”

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Midas & Ktulu

"Ktulu!"

The sound of her name caused the mare to stop in her retreat and turn. Immediately at the sight of Midas she felt as though she had butterflies in her stomach. "Midas." She murmured his name quietly, eyes closing as he pushed his muzzle against her own. Her hooves shuffled, carrying her closer to Midas. Why was he even there? What did he even see in her anymore? She felt like she had failed the Grey in the invasion by falling to their enemy, as weak as they had been. Did he not see her as a failure? The dark mare rubbed her muzzle against Midas' cheek and sighed quietly. No matter her doubts and questions of her own abilities and Midas' affections she was still glad for his appearance and what she perceived to be his continued affections.

"Words cannot express how I've missed you...."

"I've missed you, too." Ktulu said in return and she truly had. Not seeing the pegasus every other day had left her feeling rather empty and that coupled with her new found self loathing and disappointment in her abilities had left her a very unpleasant being to be around. Yet another of her reasons for distancing herself from those she cared about. There was no need for her to anger them and turn them against her because she was angry with herself.

"I haven't seen you since the invasion..." Her head tilted as she looked at Midas. "You did not linger long after the battle." That was partly her fault because she had not gone out of her way to see Midas. Yet another of the faults she found in herself.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas & Ktulu

There was nothing I wanted to do more in this moment, than hold her as close to me as physically possible; until either our flesh melted into one, or our heartbeats aligned. She was the spark that ignited the kindling with each embrace. I cared and knew nothing of her doubts or fears. What mattered was that she was here, with me by freedom of choice. Somehow this powerful goddess kept allowing me to worship each step and breath she took. Blessings had only doubled tenfold in the recent months, and I counted her among them in the highest of regards.

To me, she was a flawless being. So it was no wonder as to why her mistakes never once entered my mind.

Such is the way of love, and if this is what they called ‘true love’ then I was a drowning man who never wanted to be rescued. Ktulu pressed a little closer and I responded to her willingness by burrowing my face inside that glossy locks that spilled over one side of her neck. Pressing our chests together without hesitation and relishing in a moment that never seemed last long enough.

"I've missed you, too."

I smile through her hair, pulling away just enough to answer without words and instead plant a gentle kiss along her ashy cheek. I sense that she is troubled with something, those eyes aren't alight with just joy; but since I was a creature of modest tastes I don’t instantly start prying. Ktulu would give voice to her worries soon enough. "I haven't seen you since the invasion...” I press into her mane again, feeling guilt for not following my first instinct and actually traveling to visit her, "You did not linger long after the battle."

“hmm,” I whispered softly, “I should have come to see you.” Apologetically I admit my mistake and utter, “Apologies dear one, I feared you were busy settling in the herd.” Muzzle gently traveled along her face, touching the stern contours and hoping to gentle them, “A moment was all I could linger, a draft warrior restored your health and then I was pulled away by a concerned, ‘Sultana.’ My lips curve into a half smile, “She feared our home overcome by gossiping fools, and charged us back to assure that the boarders remained secure.”

Pushing past this I was eager to hear about her ventures, “How do you like the Foothills?” Was she getting enough to eat? How was Hototo? These questions, plus many more echoed through the spaces in my skull, I wisely reasoned to ask one at a time.
Image Credits

Midas & Ktulu

Her stony heart seemed to lift at the feel of the kiss Midas brushed across her cheek, but ever reserved in matters of the heart Ktulu's face remained impassive. A nod was given at Midas' explanation of why he had not sought her out sooner. She had been somewhat busy with getting situated in the herd and filling the much needed positions of General and Executioners. Ophelia had been busy as well and she'd not have much time to even spend with her sister. Part of her hoped that invading the Foothills and taking over the land would be worth the time and effort and not a great mistake on their part. They'd tried once before to become part of a herd only to fail and revert back to the nomadic life they had known since entering Helovia.

"And were your borders secure?" She assumed the Throat's borders had remained secure for she had not heard anything about attacks on the Throat. Even if there were an attack she felt that the Throat could handle their own. Kri was a fierce warrior and she could reluctantly admit that Kri was a good leader. Added to that the Throat had good, strong, reliable warriors.

"How do you like the Foothills?"

Silence stretched between them, though it was not uncomfortable for Ktulu. When she finally spoke several moments later it was following a nod of her head. "I like the Foothills just fine." She stated. Silence, again, stretched between them before Ktulu finally looked Midas in the eye. "You are welcome to join us." She said, though she knew that Midas would never leave the Throat to join her in the Foothills, just as she would never again call the Throat home.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas & Ktulu

Our home hadn’t seen an attack upon its soil in a long time. We had been on high alert for almost two seasons. Yet, nobody dared strike such an open territory with sons and daughters of the sky to defend it. It wasn’t like they could come in the night and strike under the cover of darkness, we had eyes everywhere. People were constantly monitoring the wall, the boarder, even our oasis. Trouble would have to slide in on the belly of a snake to breach the natural protection a desert offered.

"And were your borders secure?"

“Yes,” I murmur quietly, not sure if she was being sarcastic or not. Ktulu was funny that way, she was one of the more trying people to read; but in a way her puzzling nature made things interesting. Her answers were always of the simple variety, to the point, without any extra fluff varnished to the mix. I continue to gently caress along her neck, soft muzzle leaving a little wet trail as I go; since she didn’t push me away I could only guess that my affections were tolerable at the very least. Eventually my lady answered my question, “I like the Foothills just fine.”

Only fine?

I was about to interject when she added something a little unexpected, “You are welcome to join us.” Us? Oh, she meant the Grey. Slowly I detached myself from her neck and answered after a moment with soft sadness creeping in, . “An offer to lift the heart, but I am forever bound by invisible chains to the desert,” gently I added, . “As you are to your family.” Your. Family. What about our family? Where did we fit in together? These midnight meetings are for young love, what would happen when we grew older; developed stronger feelings? I couldn’t look into the river and see the future, all that was in my power stood here in this moment. This fragile moment.

. “Ktulu…I….” I broke off, my voice thick with an emotion that bore no name, . “I know we live apart; but I believe my care for you is enough to cross the span of land between.” After all this time. She still hadn’t said the words—would I be cursed to love someone who couldn’t love me back? . “Do you think this bond can stand the test of time?” I didn’t want to her flinch away so my eyes sought those bright rubies, trying to capture them so I could see the brilliant soul beneath.

Image Credits

Midas & Ktulu

The answer to her offer was not one that surprised Ktulu in the least. She'd made the offer before for him to join her in the forest and he had turned her down, but now she'd secured a herdland. Had a real place to call home. A place that she could protect, and yet he still turned her down, claiming that his heart was bound to the desert. It was not right that he compared the land he was tied to to her family, she felt. Her family was living and breathing but the land was just that. Land. She'd been run out of far too many homes to ever develop an attachment to it like Midas had to his damned scorched desert.

"I know we live apart; but I believe my care for you is enough to cross the span of land between."

"I supposed your care will be enough to warm my side during the night." She could not help the bitter edge that laced her tone and so she turned her face away from Midas. What was happening to her? Why did she care so much that one stallion be by her side when she had so many others that would follow her to hell and back. Archibald would do anything she asked of him, would stand by her side through the toughest of times. He went with her from the forest to the Foothills and yet Midas would refuse her offer of a new home that was lush and beautiful.

Why did her chest hurt the way it did because he said no?

"It is not time, Midas." Ktulu said pointedly as she looked back to the stallion. "It's distance, and I don't know. I..." She sighed and shook her head then looked away once more. "I want you to be a part of my family, but... distance destroys families." She knew that all too well. Being apart from her parents for so long made her feel like a wedge had been driven between them and a gaping hole opened that threatened to swallow them whole. She no longer so her father in the same way she had when she was a foal and spent day and night with him.

How could they be whole when he was so willing to keep them divided?

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas & Ktulu

It was hard to describe the bond one felt between the land of their birth and the fellows that rested within. Each member was a brother, a sister, a mother, a father. My mind was still befuddled by the fact that Ktulu had left our desert home, no questions had been asked on my part. It wasn’t polite to linger on the past. She had simply disappeared one day, leaving behind those that had once called her, ‘sister.” You had to believe in something, or you would fall for anything. Perhaps that was why I had seen dozens of mares pass through my short life, yet never had eyes for any save for the one that stood near me now.

My spirit wasn’t one to bounce from territory to territory, mare to mare. I was stable, consistent, neverchanging. Maybe this was dull, and expected; but it made my loyalty purer than the finest of gold. The love I shared between those that developed cherishment, was brighter than even the light of our sun. If she hadn’t realized it yet, my lady soon would fully understand that I wasn’t a nomad; the desert would either be my grave, or a sanctuary. Until the time came that I was either unneeded, or banished from its sands.

"I supposed your care will be enough to warm my side during the night."

I sighed. We had been avoiding this conversation for a while now, just the simply desire of being together had been enough. Why couldn’t we survive a long distance relationship? Was it so impossible? With both of us pointed toward different goals; I was at a loss as to how to keep everything together. Either way my soul lost, if I followed her I would lose the Throat. Possibly myself in the process. If I stayed in the Throat, I could lose her; which would drag my heart down to the point of breaking.

"I want you to be a part of my family, but... distance destroys families."

I wanted to find joy in the fact that she said, "I want you to be a part of my family," but the joy was tainted with sorrow. We were both still very young. So much could happen between now and forever. “How do we keep us together without somehow injuring the other?” My tone is soft, but vulnerable—it was as if two halves of this heart was being pulled in opposite directions. I didn’t want to lose either of them. I was at a complete loss for anything more, perhaps she would have the answer, “I love you Ktulu—I always will….no matter what happens….you could ask anything of me and it would be yours.” I just couldn’t leave me homeland. They needed me.
Image Credits

Midas & Ktulu

“How do we keep us together without somehow injuring the other?”

If Ktulu knew the answer to that question she wouldn't be standing there asking Midas, once again, to join her and stay at her side. She wouldn't feel like her heart had sunk to the pit of her stomach. And she most certainly wouldn't feel that creeping sense of hopelessness she hadn't felt since she was a crippled filly running from the shades that nipped at her and her sister's heels until they were in Helovia's embrace. As she had grown she'd made the promise to herself that she would not allow herself to feel so hopeless ever again and there she was, fighting that feeling once again.

“I love you Ktulu—I always will….no matter what happens….you could ask anything of me and it would be yours."

Except leaving the Throat for her.

His profession of love were accepted, though her tongue felt heavy and she felt as if she could not get the words out herself. Love for another that was not blood was a love that she had yet to experience in her young life. It was scary. It was foreign. It wasn't completely welcomed and yet it was there, gnawing at her, making her hollow. "And I you." She murmured quietly, still unable to say the word love without the fear of stumbling over it.

Her mind still lingered on the question Midas proposed to her first. The only conclusion that she could come to was a child. Didn't children bind families together? It may have been silly of her for believing so or even feeling the way she did, but she still felt ties to the God of the Earth after having fathered his son. There was no romantic love that had come from their pairing, but she felt bound to him in a way that she was to no other. Would sharing herself wholly with Midas truly bind them together even if they weren't meant to ever stand completely at the other's side?

There was no answer to that question and the only way she would get an answer was from experience.

"Children bind families together." She began somewhat hesitantly. "Maybe a child could do the same for us."

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas & Ktulu

"And I you."

It didn’t go unnoticed that she had yet to make a verbal confirmation of my proclamations of love; yet these things took time. I could understand that—and she knew that I wouldn’t press or push her for words that didn’t come freely given. My words merely applied concrete to what was felt in a man’s heart; Ktulu was looking at a bare soul with honest feelings. True it was emotional, perhaps sappy…but I still haven’t forgotten how my mother and father where. The love they shared was so rich and wonderful, you had to but look in their eyes to see the deep tenderness that was felt between father toward his mate—and the love and gentleness that was seen through simple acts of kindness from mother to him.

She pondered and I reached out, attempting to brush my lips across her forehead; directly under the base of her sword like crown. My lips wanted to part and say, “What are you thinking?” But I knew better, Ktulu would tell soon enough the ideas that ran through her beautiful mind. Who was to say that they would be forever apart? Who was to say that any of this was real—perhaps I was dreaming?

"Children bind families together."

Lids widened, head withdrew a little and eyes took to locking into her bright rubies with searching the intent and her meaning behind such a statement. The honeyed pits remained soft and complacent, even if they appeared momentarily bemused. "Maybe a child could do the same for us." Had I just heard her correctly? A child. A baby fashioned from my own flesh and brought into this world by her. Words came, and I tried to keep the shake from my tone as they are uttered, “I have dared to dream of a child on quiet nights—nourished by you.” Gingerly I push my muzzle out to brush along her neck, pushing the hair away as I went. My feet take a step forward to bring our chests closer so that she might feel the rhythm of another heartbeat. Could she tell that my soul trembled? For reasons that only seemed to mount higher.

Calling upon my energy, I pulled out the strands of gold that I had spun for her. Each thread was slightly larger than a strand of hair and as strong as most other metals. “I was waiting for the right time to give you these—“ Holding them aloft in front of her I add, “….they are made of fine gold, I thought… “ voice cut off, glancing down I was surprised to feel a little shy in this offering, “I thought they would look lovely, woven in your hair.”

Image Credits

Midas & Ktulu

Ktulu's gaze was unwavering as she looked at Midas and waited for his answer to her suggestion, but the silence seem to stretch between them like a never ending ocean. She had begun to wonder if she had spoken too soon about having a child to bind them together when Midas finally spoke favorably. The dark mare matched the stallion's step forward, their chests bumping together as his muzzle traveled across her neck. Her own muzzle rested comfortably on Midas' withers and she sighed, content in his presence and comfortable with his touch.

The Chieftess' head raised when Midas backed away and revealed several strands of gold. "They're very pretty." Ktulu murmured as she eyed them. Her crimson gaze then shifted to Midas when he proposed that they would look lovely woven into her mane. She shifted her body then and shook her mane so it covered the right side of her neck. Silently, she waited for the stallion who had managed to soften her heart to weave the gold he'd brought for her into her mane.

Ktulu was patient as she waited and once Midas had completed weaving the gold into her mane she shook it out just to make sure the gold stayed in place. "Thank you." She murmured quietly as she bumped her muzzle against his. Then, without another word she turned, her tail flicking against Midas' chest as she began to move toward a more secluded and private part of the meadow where they could begin a family of their own.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas & Ktulu

I waited for her response to my offering; and as luck would have it she decided to not make me stand in anticipation for long. When Ktulu murmured her pleasure I smiled, glad to have done something useful with a rather unusual gift. My lady shook her head, and glossy ebony mane spilled from the roots to fall upon her flesh gracefully. Gently I pressed a kiss along an exposed piece of skin, slowly the strands floated to her hair and began weaving between the locks—until they had become one with her. Metallic and shinning. My mark upon this woman, all that saw this gold would know that she was mine, and I hers.

Her lips thanked me, but a game was playing in those bright rubies. A game that I recognized, and mirrored with thrill; shapely limbs moved her warm body awayl leaving my flesh feeling no less cooled despite not having her pressed up against me. My heart quickened and skin trembled when she brushed her tail across my breast playfully. To where Ktulu was leading, I didn’t care. To hell and back—or to heaven, helplessly I followed the temptress. Tugged by an invisible string.

Together we would create something new, a life—binding our love and sealing our fates. Willingly I submitted my flesh and every part of my being to this single person. To the one I loved. Was there anything more beautiful then total surrender and trust?
Image Credits