the Rift

The Grass is Greener

Sullivan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

S U L L I V A N
Never Let Your Fear Decide Your Fate

Not unlike water pouring into a delta, Sullivan passed through the bottle nose entrance of Helovia. The trees were tall enough where he could not see the tops but they did not look their fullest. It was apparent that some ailment had struck the forest and the answer was not strange to the stallion. It seemed to be drought. The grass underfoot was brittle and crunchy, so different than that of the healthier vegetation of his previous homeland. Perhaps the curses of his birth land had moved onto this one and what dumb luck he had to be directed here. The remains of the forest turned brown and then into black ash. Dozens of trees were burnt black and several more had fallen into charcoal pieces under the heat of some fire. They looked like charred skeletons, burnt past the point of recognition. Sullen grey flakes of ash kicked up where he stepped and swirled back as they fell back to the barren earth.

All Sullivan could smell was burnt wood. The marks of whatever creature that may have passed was destroyed. The buckskin walked sluggishly on into 'greener' parts of the wood but still the smokey scent lingered in his nose. In the heat it even felt heavy and a weight felt as though it had settled itself on the mutt's back. He slowed and came to a stop. Walking longer enhanced his thirst and already it felt like he had swallowed hot rocks and chased them with pine cones. In this weather, he wondered if there was even any water left if there was none that the trees could drink.

"blah blah blah."

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Jade eyes on sapphire wings guided the grulla toward the tawny coated creature he'd spotted, though after a time even she could spot the signs of another's passing. Hoof-prints pressed deep in ash, scuffed away charcoal to reveal the hardened ground beneath. Normally she avoided the sections ravaged by wildfires, but the path today led through this one.

At last she glimpsed the stranger through the trees. He'd moved on into less scorched areas of the Threshold, but now was motionless. Her eyes in the sky decided then that now was an excellent point in time to rest as well, and she felt the familiar weight of the dragon as he settled on her haunches. It didn't occur to her to be amused by the sight she must present as she approached the buckskin steed from the direction of lands burnt. Coat the color of smoke, deepening to charcoal at legs and head, and highlighted by white the hue of ash. To the impressionable she might seem a creature wrought of that tortured bit of land, and had she been working her magic, that impression would seem all the stronger.

But no, she was more interested in the weary lines etched in the stallion's figure than what he might think of her. "Greetings," she called quietly as she drew nearer. "Can I help you with anything?"

Unregistered

S U L L I V A N

The mare reminded him of something crafted from the coal and burnt trees. He watched her with wary eyes, approaching from the near flattened area of the forest however, all but one thing seemed amiss. The grey figure bore a creature, maybe not particularly bright but glittering as though it were made of sapphires of a million different shades. It did not seem to be a danger to him. The lizard-like being rested on the dark mare's back peacefully. To his knowledge, it did not show signs of aggressiveness but, then again he was not all to familiar with the habits of other creatures.

When the female spoke, her voice was soft but the stallion remained wary. The creatures were strange here, so why not the intelligent life? He tipped his head in a nod towards her. "Hello. Um I have two questions if that's alright. I was wondering, what is that on your back? And also... where am I?" He felt strangely silly asking them even if he may have legitimacy as a newcomer. Sullivan wanted to know if he had found the right place and whether or not this dry land was what the other horse had directed him to. The stallion glanced up at the yellowed and wilted trees, imagining the forest healthy, green and full of life. Perhaps one day.

Hidden Account
His eyes were cautious as he watched her, and she smiled ruefully. It made her wonder what could have happened to so many who crossed the borders of the Threshold that so many were wary of strangers. So many were hurt, inside or outside. It had been two seasons since she herself had crossed through here the first time. Two seasons since she too had walked these paths with a hurt lingering in her heart. Now? Now she was the one who stood in the position had Azzuen had been in then. Welcomer, helper.

It was Zaffre who noticed the odd look cast his way first, and chitters softly in amusement. That amusement was shared by his bonded, though she hid it. "This is Zaffre, my dragon. And you're in the Threshold of Helovia." Her ears twitched as she followed his glance. "One of the gods here is having... a temper tantrum. So we're in the midst of drought. But life will return here with the turning of the season and his fall from seasonal supremacy."

Unregistered

S U L L I V A N

Sullivan could not think of one horse he knew who was open to strangers in a strange land except maybe the young and naive. It irked the stallion to think that so many have been taken advantage of already and many not be able to get out of it. He had noted throughout the days of his former homeland that many who came were in some weakened form or another. Is that what the living does? Run away from all their hurts and pains as if they would not find more in their destination? There are always roses with thorns wherever someone may tread no matter how hard they wish. Unfortunately, it is the way of things.

The buckskin let go a sigh of relief. He did not really know what a dragon was but he was at least in the right place. The male was not at all impressed in his initial reaction but there was hope for things to get better. "Well, I am not sure of living in a place with moody deities." Sullivan laughed in good-nature and gave a sheepish little smile. "Anyway, I was also hoping that you would know a decent territory to live in." Preferably not a desert, he added in his head. The stallion did not want to seem like a prissy, stuck up individual. It was simply not who he was anyway however, maybe at some point in his life he would have to be. Assertiveness is what has pushed him along and he will not let it suffocate for the corrupt to continue on.

Hidden Account
((Sorry for delay, been having a rough week for muse.))

A gentle chuckle met his comment of moody deities, harmonizing with his own laugh, and she gave him an open smile. "Many would agree with you, myself included. But we manage as we can." She shrugged slightly, with a little shake of her head. "I know of one or two." Was admitted after a moment, as she studied him in silence.

"My own herdland lays to the north, at the base of the mountains. We allow any to live there, who will live in tolerance and fairness with all others who dwell there. Westward is a forested land of unicorns, the Edge, which stands above seaside cliffs. South lies the deserts of the Throat, ruled by pegasi but welcome to others who would follow their way of life." It was a simple, abbreviated explanation, and her dark eyes watched for his every reaction to what she told him. "There are outcasts as well, living outside the herds. One band of which resides in the forests just south of here."

At last, she decided to pry. Only Zaffre had his name attached to himself at this point, and she knew that it was quite likely he'd choose to live amongst her herd or with one of her allies. "But what is your name, stranger?" Ears quirked forward to emphasize the gentle curiosity she let into her voice.

Unregistered

S U L L I V A N

Manage with the madness of things greater than ourselves? This sounded familiar. Those memories had not yet faded into the back of his mind and, in fact they were still quite clear. Sullivan had seen all ages suffer under the relentless forces of nature. The stallion stood in the heat, recalling the times when his his homeland was equally as hot. As the mare made her list, he listened intently and used his best judgement as to what would be best suited for himself. The dapple buckskin liked the idea of a group that were tolerant. It was the exact kind of group that welcomed his herd and he nodded at its description. "I like the idea of your herd, I must say. If you and your herd mates would have me, I would be pleased to be among you." Maybe it was a little bit selfish but maybe it was not. He felt as though he needed to give back to herds like these for what they are and what they offer to the rest of the unwanted population.

Sullivan felt a pang of embarrassment at the female's request, even if were the social convention to get to know someone better before asking names. "My apologies, I am Sullivan. May I ask the same of you?" It was not such a big mistake and she had not seemed annoyed by his lack of manners. For him, it was something easily brushed off. The main focus of the male's mind was whether he would be allowed to call someplace his new home.

ooc: no worries. I failed in writing and timely-ness. Sorry! :(

Hidden Account
"You would be quite welcome among us." She assured him with a gentle smile. Absently she wondered what place he make himself amongst the others. Warrior, diplomat? Something else entirely or merely content to be amongst their number? Her gaze traced him with that in mind, but as yet she still did not know enough of him to guess where he'd stand.

"My name is Smoke, the Wild Rose and Military Chieftess of my herdland." A flutter of amusement roused in her as her words faded. What would this one think of a mare leading the fighters of a herd? It would be fair of him to inquire if she led with another, but would he be surprised then to learn that she was alone in her duty? Some might have been, but he... she wasn't sure of. It would be fun to learn, though.

((another late post. >.<))