the Rift

you fell down, so get back up kid. [JUDGE]

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!
 nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands.</style>
image by jason-samfield @ flickr.com</style>

Crunch, crunch, snap. The sound of a twig breaking behind her, stepped on by some unknown figure. Onni's muscles coil underneath her painted hide, pulling at her legs to prepare for a kick. Exhale, the breath slips from nostrils as her weight shifts from all fours to the front, legs bunching toward her stomach before they propel backward, striking out at the mare who had snuck behind the spooked pegasus. Her aim is just for the body, with no real target in mind, as the pale-faced girl hasn't even turned in the darkness to see who has approached her.

Legs drop to the ground, and Onni pushes forward, her mind screaming at her to get away from this danger. At the same time, the mare is not built for sprinting. This figure in the dark, however, might be. Instead, she decides to hold her ground, shifting her weight like a seesaw to push her front end upward, back legs dancing to bring her to a swift pivot toward the other. Experience in battle had allowed her a swifter pace - sometimes your only saving grace is a few milliseconds of speed on your opponent.

Once facing the shady figure, the pale blue eyes can see the glint of a horn in the darkness, and her mind starts to reel backwards toward the evil faces of d'Artagnan and Kou, quiet violence lurking behind their eyes. The unusual embrace of darkness squeezes on her heart, making her mind fuddled, unable to recongize the third unicorn in that situation with the yellow eyes of her father. Instead of snapping to who she was attacking, Onni's face takes on the steely glint she inherited from her mother - a similarity you would rarely see on the peaceful girl's face otherwise.

Teeth bared, the pegasus snaps out at the unicorn with unrelenting ferocity as she propels forward toward the vaguely outlined figure in the shadows. She could be fighting for her life, and so the painted mare does not hold back. Striking for a shoulder, a bulky target she is more likely to reach when her vision is compromised. Maybe she can scare this enemy away. At least, that is what she hopes for.

[ 1/3, 369 words ]

onni
</style>

[ OOC COMMENTARY:

Okay, so here we have Tares sneaking up on Onni from behind. This would increase the anxiety of Onni, which I hope is reflected in the post. My biggest problem with sparring, which I have to work to correct a lot, is connecting with the character on an emotional side. While mechanics are very important, all of the extra points that can make or break a spar are in your character's emotional presence. If the judge can't tell your character is active within the post, and feels like they are simply watching from an impartial standpoint, you will lose points.

As far as attacks go, you have to keep in mind that horses are more likely to bite at the face and neck. They rear a lot too, but all of these would require a frontal approach. Since Tares was coming from behind, I compensated with the natural instinct of a horse - to buck out and try and hit whatever is behind them. However, since they are more partial to frontal attacks, I quickly made her turn around. There's emotional tension there because Onni wants to run away, but she doesn't think she's a quick enough sprinter to escape her mystery opponent - that's my way of getting her to stay against instinct of flight.

The bite is a pretty understandable attack. I didn't think she would rear and expose her belly to some unknown opponent, especially since she has a horn to spear her with. The shoulder is a larger, more realistic target to choose in dim light. More area to hit.

Try and keep your attacks and defenses realistic, and also make sure you keep your surroundings, difference in speed and force, and emotions in mind. ]

Messages In This Thread
RE: you fell down, so get back up kid. [open] - by Onni - 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM