the Rift

you fell down, so get back up kid. [JUDGE]

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!
 nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands.</style>
image by jason-samfield @ flickr.com</style>

The eyes she had inherited from her father were of little aid in the dim lighting of the forest. Even with the sun so far above their heads, the canopy of the trees shrouded them in such darkness that Onni was left to wonder of the time. Certainly, as her hooves made a clapping sound against the hide of her unknown predator, the tobiano couldn't help but feel that she had strayed for too long from her home. Had the night fallen so soon? There was nothing she would like more than to be home, in the warm sands of her desert, speaking to Lyhty in a soft but assuring voice.

There is no pride in meeting her target now, but instead a surge of happiness that she might survive this encounter. Pivoting, teeth snapping toward the shadowy figure of the unicorn, even as she tears forward on the loam of the forest, there is no recognition. As the other rears, front legs lashing at her face like whips, feminine voice calling out into the air, nothing familiar rings true. The scent of her homeland is strong, but she hardly makes the connection in her frightened state. Turning her head, slamming her front end harshly toward the left, continuing her forward momentum, Onni slips past the hooves of her mysterious opponent with a few deft scratches on her right shoulder, momentary snaps of pain that fades quickly. Onni's teeth snapping shut even as she lunges away into the shadow of the forest.

Yet, there is light.

Onni's face twirls around, locating the orange gleam on what looks like wings. Instinctually, the tobiano calls upon the wind, rustling the leaves above their heads, to plummet down onto the bird - whatever hell spawn this opponent had on their side. The invisible fingers of the air tear toward the wings that carried the new attacker toward her own. They aim to off set the flight patterns, and allow her enough time to dodge the attack of fire she was sure to come. A snort escapes her nostrils as the mare thinks back to the sting of a burn - slow in healing and constant pain, no matter how severe.

The wind alone could not end this attack upon her, though, and so Onni veers sharply to the right next, where she knows the unicorn had been standing a few seconds before. The claws of the bird still meet with the top of her own rump, scratching no menial gash in her flesh, a shock of pain ringing through her mind that only screams at her to run faster. The flames of the bird, luckily, miss the delicate feathers of her folded wings. Her strength is propelled to what she would assume was a rump, teeth falling dangerously close to her own dashing legs to snap at the dark sticks outlined faintly in the shadows. Let her tear into the delicate flesh of the cannon, and she could maybe run from this opponent successfully. It was risky, but Onni was not thinking logically. She just wanted out of this damned forest.

[ 2/3, 518 words ]

onni
</style>

[ OOC COMMENTARY:

I like to start with the good. :D

The emotion in your post is impressive. You obviously placed Tares in this situation entirely, and it's convincing. With all of the implications fighting would have for her, after the abuse of her mother, and the fact that she knows she is fighting a friend is good. I love the tension you have in her attacking Onni reluctantly, only to defend herself.

You used realistic attacks and defenses that didn't leave your character blatantly open for big blows, and aren't so farfetched for a horse to use. I like the fact that Arbutus is confused in this situation. Since they haven't been bonded for long, it would make sense for him not to snap to what is going on in this situation and attack someone who is attacking his bonded.

OKAY, that being said, I do have some critiques.

Onni's second attack wasn't a rear, it was a bite. That is a very importance difference that the judge will notice. I did mention rears in my OOC tips, so that's probably my bad. Still, you have to read carefully. Fights can be confusing enough for a judge to follow without mistakes, so that could make them grumpy. :< Don't make your judge grumpy. I would always ask your opponent if you're not 100% clear on what they are doing. There is no shame, so if you get confused, ask.

However, whether it was a bite or a rear, for Tares to rear was a very good defense. I wasn't sure how to react to the damage she received, so it's very vague in my post if I mention it at all.

Overall, you did very well in this post. There were no real issues with time constraints in movements, and I think you did a very good job picturing how they are positioned and how to respond.

Here's my breakdown of strategy.

Onni is going to block the partial kicks of Tares by throwing her front end toward the left, sort of veering off in one stride, which leaves her with only a few light scratches on her right shoulder. It's very important to be specific as to where attacks land. Never forget to make some mention of pain, damage, etc. The judge will count off if you forget, or maybe give you 0 points for the defense. Anyway, I decided this would be the most feasible and effective defense, leaving Onni with virtually no damage while still taking the hit.

The next attack was a little more difficult. Onni has some experience with fire, so she's very averred to being attacked with it. I decided wind manipulation would likely offset the course of the phoenix plus give her some time to move, so I went for it. Just to ensure that the bird would not get her wings, but more fleshy areas like her butt, I had her turn back left really quickly into where Tares was standing. This will act as her attack as well, a ram. Then, I thought biting at her legs would be good because leg wounds are pretty severe damage for horses. Since Onni is trying to escape, really, injuring the opponent's legs would make for an easy escape, if she can pull it off. Plus, she's already there at Tares's rump, why not try for a leg? c;

That's all I have for this one, really. ]

Messages In This Thread
RE: you fell down, so get back up kid. [open] - by Onni - 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM