the Rift

[OPEN] Blood Stains on the Snow [Snö, Open]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

It was hard for him to think about his past, to return to days at home among family and friends where everything was familiar. He knew every inch of the Steppe now, but when he had first arrived, everything had been so foreign. There was nothing he could do in the present, though, to change the life he had lived; it had all been said and done, and while he wished that he could right the wrongs and alter the course of his history, he knew that was far from possible.

He had always suspected from the dark look in Chernobyl's eyes that she, too, had a scarring past. He had seen the pain in her eyes far too many times for the obvious facts to escape him, though he had never taken the time to ponder just what exactly had left her so damaged. The reluctance in her expression almost made him dismiss the question, saving her the pain of reflection, but the soft touch of her muzzle distracted him from his thoughts.

He leaned lightly into her touch, his wing drooping over her shoulders as the falling snow built up atop the roof of pale feathers. His smile was encouraging and kind, mirroring the sympathy he felt for her. He wanted to hear her story, to try to help lift the weight from her shoulders and leave her feeling free. Whether relaying her past to him would help or not, he was curious as to what had caused her to build such walls around her heart.

Her gaze seemed to grow distant, lost in the fog of bitter memories as she recalled her childhood for him. He pressed closer to her, dipping his head beneath the apex of his wing and looking out toward the swirling snow. Darkness was hours away, though the thick covering of cloud had blotted out the sunlight and left the Steppe pale and bleak. There was no telling when the storm would end, but he would not leave her side until it did. After all, there was no way he was going to fly back to the Foothills in the midst of such a blizzard.

He found her dark eyes once more, resenting the pain he found within them. Her voice was quiet and dream-like, as if she hadn't fully returned from her memories. Her words came as an immense shock, searing into his chest like an icy knife. Her own mother had hurt her? He was struck speechless, his mouth opening but no words leaving his tongue. He had expected anything but this, and the very thought of the abuse she had endured left him both furious and horrified.

His own mother had been so gentle and caring, watching over him from the day of his birth until the last moment he saw her before the battle. She had been his one and only friend after his father was killed, and he couldn't imagine how life would have been without her. Chernobyl's confession came as yet another shock, and once again he was left with no words to say.

He stood there for a moment, his eyes watching the falling snow from the curtain of white, his ears picking up the soft hiss of the snowflakes as they slid across his feathers. He did not hold it against her, he simply couldn't. There was no way he could understand the situation she had been in, and after a moment's thought, he decided he didn't want to try. He met her eyes once more, his gaze holding no accusation or disgust. He had taken lives before, though it had been in the line of duty. In such a dire situation as she must have been in, would it not be considered self defence? There was nothing he could do now that would make all the darkness of her past suddenly alright, but the least he could do was remove the pain of the moment.

He stepped closer to her, snow sliding off his raised wing as he curled his neck around hers. He held her gently against his chest, feeling the warmth of her skin against his cheek. His breathing was soft and slow, though his heart hammered against the walls of his chest. It was so much to take in, though he thought none the worse of her despite the details she had revealed. "No, you have not scared me," he breathed against her neck, closing his eyes to take in the faint sound of her heart. "The only thing that scares me is the thought of you out here, dealing with all this alone." For once he was serious, no well-masked hint of a joke behind his low voice.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down
Start me off and watch me go

Image Credit
x

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blood Stains on the Snow [Snö, Open] - by Murdock - 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM