the Rift

Elegance Remains [Open]

Adalaide Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
||ADALAIDE||
shades of jaded shadows

There's a difference in the forest today, but it is not a fallen log. It is me. I walk with a sense of elegance, but I am not gaited. I am not thick and too muscular, but rather slender and quick on my feet. Stocky would be the slight opposite of my figure. It is not what I've been trained to be. Only fast and agile, ready to bolt at the slightest hint of my death and ready to allow my rider a quick shot. I have muscle, but I am lightweight.

But there are no riders here and that does not mean I have been trained to be a coward. I am anything but a coward for I have witnessed many wars and have even sought in my daydreams to carry a rider into one. But alas, that day never came. I have witnessed hardships but I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the most hardened equine out there.

Fires, blizzards, a lot of death. Actually, that, is how I find my lone self here. I am alone, but I've always been alone. I've always been the quiet type, the one that stands in the corner. I've always been the aggressive and violent one that just so happens to come out when I am not in my best of moods. I've never been one to be afraid to speak my mind, and usually have a loud voice and get my point across when I do so. However, sometimes I am happy to go my own way.

That's how I found myself where I am. Stumbling into this world, smelling of burning wood. The pasture had caught on fire, and had it not been for the new family's lack of knowledge about my jumping abilities, I might be a burning corpse right now. But I jumped and I ran. Running to the point where I longer found the desire to return. A flash occurred and now my hooves had sunk into new earth full of new and more purer smells. My lungs had longed for clean air with no smoke and here they found it, better than ever.

Here I am! Alas, I know nothing of my location. I know nothing of this new place. The dangers may or may not be commensurate of my old world. Best to stop trying to apply it to this. There may not even be any inhabitants here. Just this plant life. I'm hearing the rustling leaves of the wind blowing against the trees but no other sign of beings besides the occasional songbird.

Then, I hear it. It's there and it's not me. It's not my mind and I'm not insane! A twig snap of a heavy hoof. Not like that of a deer, but of that of a heavy being about equal to my size. Possibly bigger, possibly smaller. My instincts were fresh and my body instantly jolted in the opposite direction of the sound, but I whirred around and faced the intruder.

However, it appeared as though my mind had tricked me. It had deceived me once more. As I looked, it was just a large rock that had fallen with a thud and cracked the rock. I looked up to try and get a peak of the sky, noticing it was dusk. I had to get out of this forest and somewhere safe. I had no knowledge of this place. I had no knowledge of its possible inhabitants or the dangers that looked.

Finally putting my racing mind to rest, I began to walk again. My ears twitched at every sound and my eyes observed every moving thing.

Cythraul Posts: N/A
Unregistered
The blood bay stallion observed the mare moving skittishly through the territory. His dark, dark eyes captured every detail, even as he stepped from the shadows. The mare was close to the clearing that his mate, Cameria, and his unborn foal, was buried in. He'd grieved her all night, as he did every full moon, and the blood bay unicorn was exhausted.

Inky black socks rose up his strong legs, and the tall, three-horned unicorn moved into her path.
"I am Cythraul." He watched her with wary, dark eyes. An ironic smile was his gift to her as he spoke in his deep, strong tones again, his accent unable to be identified. "I promise, I won't harm you. However, you should be wary of others in this place. There are racist unicorns, equines, and pegasi that are to be warned against. I can't expect you to trust me, either, of course."

He snorted softly, in a bit of a better mood, but his gaze was dragged upward and he sobered, stepping back a little, towards the trees that concealed the clearing his Cameria lay buried in. Sorrow laced his expression, but it was hidden a moment later. Letting out a shuddering breath, he put his eyes back on the mare. "If you're looking for a place to stay safe..." He shrugged gently, and nodded toward the trees to his side.

He flicked his long, flowing tail, and tossed his head to move his mane out of his face, mildly annoyed with his ground-length ebony hair. Watching her for any sign of fear or aggression, he continued inching into the shadows of the trees, his heart yanking him brutally toward the body of his Cameria, and his unborn foal. She'd been six months pregnant with his offspring, and he had tried to save her-- yet he'd failed. She had died with him curled at her back, trying desperately to save her and his child. The blood bay knew the tears had probably stained paths down his face, and he felt the need to hide from the mare, so that she couldn't see them.

ooc: Sorry it's so short!! It'll get better.

Unregistered
||ADALAIDE||
shades of jaded shadows

I had little to no warning over this newcomer's arrival. Or rather this older inhabitant's arrival. I must remember that I am the one new to this place and not the other way around. Yet it appears as though I don't know which way it would best be. I guess I must start somewhere.

The stallion spoke and surprise flooded my face. It was not his smile or his presence but rather his appearance. He looked like something from a children's story book! Like something a mother would tell their child about. Three horns were encrusted upon his head. I had only heard of unicorns from time to time. They were mostly small female foals or girls as the humans had once called them that dreamed of them and talked of them.

At the sound of his name I curtsy as I have only been taught to in the greeting of another. "'Tis a pleasure to meet thee, Cythraul. My name is Adalaide." My accent is heavy in my speech, I realize. I believed it would have worn off being away from proper speech. I was wrong.

The horned stallion continued and I sensed an amount of trustworthiness in his voice. Promised good being from him along with a warning gave me a sense that what he spoke was true. Though my heart lurched at the sound of other, what I thought, make-believe creatures, it didn't surprise me as much.

"Why, goodman," I chuckled slightly with a slightly nervous, slightly friendly smile "I don't suppose I can trust anyone other than thee with the kind of warning ye just gave me and considering the fact that thee doesn't appear racist. Aye, last time I saw my reflection, I didn't have three horns upon my crest." I chuckled once more, in a friendly manner. In an unknown land, I needed as many allies as I could get.

When the question of where I was supposed to stay came up, my brow rose slightly; partly out of curiosity and partly out of the actual question of where the hell am I supposed to stay? The stallion however, motioned towards a wood and a grateful, happy, and friendly smile spread upon my face. "I would be ever so grateful. Pray, show me the way? I think it best if I can find a place to hang my head for the night, as it's eventide."

My smile faded into a frown once I sensed sadness and grief from the stallion. His facial expressions kind of just dropped in a sense. Just when he looked in one way. I wasn't sure exactly what to say or do and it wasn't exactly something I was sure to tread on. Afterall, I had just met him. Need not to ruin a fragile building alliance by treading on a weak spot. I was smarter than that. "Why, good sir, I'm unsure of whether I am right or wrong but thou appears sad. Which brings me to my next question, are you alright? Perchance, if my help can be of any possible service, I'd be happy to lend it?"

Unregistered
"I will show you." The stallion turned to go through the trees, and paused at her questions. Swinging his head about to look at her, he replied in a voice dead of any emotion, "I am beyond help, I think. The last memory I have of someone dear to me is a horrific one, and one that took place not far from here. I return once every full moon to grieve them, as I have for the past... Oh, what? This will be my thirteenth return, I think."

The stallion turned again, murmuring a soft, 'This way,' and pushing through the trees. A short trek, and then they were there in the clearing. He went immediately to the center and let his head drop until his nose touched the ground, and then he raised his head once again to look at her. "Feel free to stay the night here. You will be safe, I can promise you that. I do not sleep whilst I reside in this place-- it does not allow my heart to rest."

His mouth twisted into a smile of pained irony. "Then again, it doesn't allow my heart to rest any other time either. Anyways. Forgive my mindless babble, m'lady. I do not usually talk so much." The stallion looked up at the full moon, dark eyes finally allowing his anguish to show through them, only because now that his head was up, she could not see the deep, searing pain inside them. When, he wondered, would he be able to lay his memories to rest and move on as Cameria had made him promise to?

"There is a stream not far-- my trail is well-worn to it." He gestured with his horns to a path worn into the earth by large hooves, then looked at her again, hiding the full force of his agony. "To warn you-- racist equines would definitely protect you, though they'd be enraged if you were found out to be speaking to the likes of me. Here he snorted before continuing,

"Unicorns such as myself sometimes have one, two, three, or even more horns than that upon their brows. Also, I've run across two or three that had antlers. Pegasi have wings, as you might imagine, and then there are those who are half-bloods. Mixes of unicorn and Pegasus, unicorn and equine, Pegasus and equine... All sorts of horses. There are also herds. I could bring you to one if you'd like me too-- the Dragon's Throat herd is a safe bet. They accept all horses."

He stopped talking in that deep, rich voice of his, the voice that had melted the hearts of more than a few ladies-- but none of them had ever had him. Only one had ever had his heart, and her corpse lay buried beneath his hooves. Hers, and the corpse of his unborn foal that rested within her. Sighing, he moved a bit, restless. He'd probably end up patrolling the clearing before long, trotting in rings just to make sure everything was safe and so he'd have something to do all night.

Unregistered
||ADALAIDE||
shades of jaded shadows

The mentioning of his lost dearests made me fall to silence as we trekked through the forest. I felt sorry for him, partly because seeing an individual in such a shape made my heart twist with a pang. I understood a loss but never one pertaining someone close to me. I could share sympathy but I wasn't going to try and share empathy when I simply couldn't on the same level.

"I'm verily sorry for thou loss, but I know these words are probably meaningless to ye. Nay, I know naught a true loss and it is in that my words of sympathy are pure." Once again, my accent heavy from a life brought up in another land. But my words are pure and I am sorry.

I followed Cythraul through many a pair of trees of various shapes and sizes. It was a relatively easy path that my hooves found as no challenge but once led to the clearing I stopped easily in my tracks as Cythraul went forward into the center. I dropped my head a bit, not daring to hold it up so high. That's when he dropped his own. I watched as his nose touched the ground, another pang. I could think of close to no one who deserved to suffer in anyway and Cythraul was far too nice to even think about it.

I dip my head with a warm smile "Mindless babble is anything but nonsense, good sir. 'Tis nothing to mind. My eyes followed where he indicated his path to a stream and to his offering of a place to stay. "Thank you, Cythraul. Thou art very kind. However, I simply insist on you not acting guard tonight. I'd be more than happy to travel to another place where both can sleep."

The thing was, I wouldn't mind at all. Everyone needed their rest, and this kind soul was helping me as it was. He said he was beyond help, but perhaps I could just make it easier in anyway.

As for his warning, my eyes narrowed and my ears went back slightly "I have no intentions of my health being held in the mouth of naysayers who judge based off of what one looks like rather than how they act. Especially if they would go to the lengths of getting their tail in a twist by a lost soul being helped by such a kind gentlemen." I spat slightly "One would be a dolt to step on and kick at the idea of that rather than reward it."

I found the idea repulsive. Why would someone do such a thing? Why would a being get worked up over help from someone who just simply looked different? I sought out temporarily and mentally reasons of why in a few seconds but my mind found no justification. There simply was no commensurate reason.

I softly flick my long ink black tail and it catches a leaf in the process. I wasn't one to up on preening myself constantly. I shake my neck, sending my black mane flying as a soft breeze catches it with a kiss. The moonlight was reflecting off of my coat giving my back a silvery appearance. I shift my weight onto three legs as I reposition my front left leg and the six dots on both shoulders also shift slightly

I sighed and my pupiless sky blue eyes looked at him once more and at the sound of a herd, my ears pricked up in curiosity. The strange markings around my eyes shifted much like eyebrows and they rose ever so slightly. Never had I been part of an actual herd, nor had I thought about it. And so the Dragon's Throat wasn't racist? That surely must be where he was from?

"And which herd be ye from?" I step out of the cover of the trees and emerge where the moonlight is full upon all of my features.

Unregistered
Cythraul looked at her, suddenly amused. "My time of mourning is not yet done, m'lady, though, if you would like to leave, I shan't stop you. My problem is that I have not laid to rest my anguish, and the bloodbath that took place haunts my dreams." He listened to her snappy words, and a smile spread over his features, the first true smile he'd had since meeting Arrane and Brisa. "Aye, they're an ignorant lot." Stepping off Cameria's grave, the blood bay stallion watched her movements, dark eyes curious.

Speaking again, in response to her last question, he said, "I belong to none. I answer to none. I follow my heart and to hell with those who would chain me. Nothing against the herds, of course, but that was never the life for me. Of course, a family would be nice, or some sort of companionship." He shrugged and looked away, giving voice to a soft sigh. "Then again, I had a family once. A mate, who carried my foal within her... They were murdered. Life is twisted and cruel a lot of the time... I was never meant to be truly happy, I suppose." His voice was the barest of whispers, and he meant every last word.

When tears threatened, he pushed them back, hot anger flooding him. She will not see my anguish as tears! His thought was fierce and angry, though cold. He didn't let himself show the extent of his pain to others, nor did he ever, ever cry in front of them. Well-- there had been the time he'd woken screaming when in the company of Arrane and Brisa, and he'd hated the looks of pity on their faces as he'd sunk back into slumber, barely able to force himself to go to sleep.

Black eyes grew colder and colder as he thought of the stallions that had torn his world to pieces. He trotted off toward the stream, and when he saw his reflection in it, he saw the reflection of his mate's face next to his, her eyes piercing him and a soft smile on her maw. Let me go, Cythraul. Let me rest in peace. He could hear her voice as if she was truly next to him, speaking to him. He knew, though, that it was his heart speaking, telling him it was time to let go and move on. He let out a shuddering sigh, drank from the stream, and went back over to Adelaide, his sorrow easing. You will always have a huge piece of my heart... and you will always be my first love. He thought to Cameria, closing his eyes briefly.

When he opened them, peace eased into his heart and soothed his ravaged soul, allowing him to look upon the mare with not pain in his eyes, but acceptance. Cameria wasn't truly gone... but she wasn't with him, and there wasn't anything he could do about it. He had fulfilled his vow to her. He had come to terms with her death, finally, and could now move on with his life. Morbid amusement flickered through him-- he'd always said thirteen was his lucky number. Apparently that was the number that would release him from his pains. He wondered if that meant he'd die at thirteen years of age, and he hoped not.

He gave a timid, gentle smile to the mare, and noticed for the first time that she was quite beautiful-- though he was quite sure she wasn't interested in him. Perhaps they could be friends? That would be enough for him. He was barely beginning to allow the peace he'd found seep into his soul-- he wasn't going to gallop off with a new mare he barely knew and forget about Cameria. What kind of a mate would he have been, to do that so recently after her demise? Not a very good one, that's for sure.

Unregistered
||ADALIAIDE||
shades of jaded shadows

I listen to his words with interest, only nodding occasionally to show I was still listening. I fell into silence once more but not in an awkward way. Rather a remorseful, thoughtful way. Once again, my mind was racing. Once again, it was a punch to the kidney. Once again, it was a reminder of just how uncaring the world was. It would chew you up and spit you out even if you kissed its feet.

The stallion closed his eyes for a while and I stepped back a bit with a lowered head. My bright, sky blue eyes reflecting the moonlight, drooped slightly as it appeared to be a moment in which I shouldn't interrupt. Sometimes, beings just needed to be left to their own devices a bit. Better to think than to be distracted by pointless words, I supposed.

My warm voice slowly leaked into the air when silence had fallen for a bit and the stallion opened his eyes once more. My head lowered a bit but my eyes opened completely. "Nay, good sir. Every good person is destined to be verily happy. 'Tis karma. 'Tis how everything is balanced. Ye can't have the good without the bad. Whichever order it may come in and whenever it may occur. Perchance that was verily the worst so perchance, the verily best is soon to come."

My soft blue eyes blinked and looked at his dark eyes, then over his battle scarred, good framed body. My mind rose questions but my best layed them rest. Luckily, my eyes were pupiless. I could cover what I was looking at up with the small con of being sensitive to bright light. My eyes then looked at the moon and I sighed with a warm smile. A good breeze soon rippled through the night and I closed my eyes once more. A ripple went through my shoulders as I shuddered, my flank shaking. For the first time in a long while I was relaxed and happy.

Happy for what reason, however? The fact that in the short time of me being here, my hickory-smoked self was accepted and I hadn't been judged. An individual had trusted me enough rather than to judge me. This was the first time I had met another that hadn't actually followed the ways of the rest of world.

"Thee hath been very kind, Cythraul." My warm eyes flicker back at him and then over to a large pile of grass "'Tis in my most grateful manner, I do believe I will be taking you up on your offer, if that be alright with ye, good friend?" A warm genuine smile spread across my lips. A new acquaintance and ally.

{{OOC: Sorry for the wait!}}

Unregistered
"Sleep now, then, and I will watch over this place. Tomorrow we will go to Dragon's Throat... and you can see if you want to stay there. If so, I will leave you to become familiar with the herd members." The tri-horned stallion gave her a warm smile and then loped toward the opposite end of the clearing, black eyes shining. After a year of suffering, he knew peace.

He would have sung had he been alone; he was shy, actually, when it came to singing in front of others. His rich, deep voice seemed to deepen further, and became stronger, more fluid, with a melody underlining any words sung. Usually there weren't words, just melodies that he wove into the air wherever he was at.

Sighing, he looked up at the sky and thought, And if she doesn't want to stay in the Herd? If she wants to remain a rogue? Let her. I cannot promise to stick around for all my life to protect her! And yet your honor requires that you see her to a safe place before leaving her.

Rolling his eyes impatiently, he stamped a hoof against the ground and then began loping the perimeter of the clearing, his tail flowing out behind him like a black river, and his mane bouncing against his side as his tall, muscular frame moved swiftly around the clearing, muscles tensing and relaxing over and over with each step, and he seemed to glide as he moved, his hooves nearly silent as they hit the ground and his movements graceful.

ooc: Apologies for shortness.