the Rift

Cultural Shock [The Grey]

Donai Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

DONAI

The Leopard

”What is this land?” It echo’d in my head as I took careful steps to navigate slowly through the bushes, my body weaving between each gap like a snake. My eyes studied the forest around me with caution, surely this place isn’t real? The trees, my very essence of security towered over me with hands reaching to the clouds, as if trying to tease me. Daring me ”Just try to climb this high, cat.”

What kind of world is this? Trees as tall as the clouds, water in every stream, the cold. It’s like I’ve been dropped off onto another world.

I hunkered down in the bushes, the red and yellow leaves matched my tawny spotted coat perfectly cloaking me from the unsuspecting eyes. All of me was nearly invisible but the strange bird which I’d caught earlier and now felt the need to hold gently in my mouth.
It was a blue pheasant, a bird which I’d never laid eyes on before, its brilliant blue/green feathers shimmered in the light and while I had gutted the thing and eaten away at the inside of the bird I felt no need to rip up such a beautiful hide decorate in such magnificent feathers.
Tenderly I caressed the carcass with my nose and adjusted my delicate hold on it in my teeth, my large, fat paws pushed and nudged at the carcass. The flashing of colors like fireworks in my eyes hypnotize me and keep my teeth from closing that extra inch onto the bird. I delighted in my friendly treatment to the bird’s carcass, after all I’ve never really had the means or desire to keep something… well…. In tact! In my home territory no animal carries around colors this beautiful!

I thought briefly of my home, of the struggle, and for a moment my thoughts flashed back to that massive paw coming down on my face ripping the flesh from my eye and sending tears of blood down my cheek. Stuck in thought I froze from my fondling of the pheasant carcass, my eyes fixed blankly ahead of me… Never again… I won’t see my home ever again… It will be ok though, I am proud that I am still alive and that air still fills my lungs, my heart still beats. Am I scared? Of course I am, but I keep myself free from the pull of remorse and despair.
Shaking the unwanted thoughts from my head I rolled over onto my back holding the bird carcass in my paws and kicked up with my feet the curl up and roll out of the bush and into the sea of sun kissed grass. I whispered to myself…
”Where am I?”

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.
Circe

Mayhaps Circe was spending entirely too much time within the confines of her new home—but the sorceress supposed that it was a tad less green in these woods than she remembered, at least when compared to the verdant Foothills. Nonetheless, the quiet, the tranquility, the simplicity of the pines and the tawny-hued deciduous giants that dotted the forest served to calm the heated mare as she floated on a brisk trot through the Orangemoon shadows.

Circe’s recent encounter with the gruff, ornery stallion had rubbed her fur in the entirely wrong direction. She wasn’t full of wrath—though indeed, the sorceress was quite done with his presence and his person. Whatever his problem had been, Circe wanted nothing to do with the solution; he could stew in his own vulgar mud-bath for the rest of eternity and she shadowmere would be satisfied, thank you. She had wandered away from that offending meeting place—and when the borders came before her, the sorceress simply traveled through them, failing to remember a policy that restricted one from leaving the security of The Grey’s stronghold. Surely she would be entirely at the mercy of the dangers beyond, but if Circe couldn’t handle the straggler or the bandit on the highway, she supposed she didn’t need to hold the position of Executioner in a group of mercenaries.

Speaking of dangers…

A warm, cloying scent permeated the air, a scent Circe didn’t readily recognize. She slowed her pace, eventually digging her fore hooves into the dirt and grime as she halted unexpectedly, her head held erect and her ears open. Her nostrils flared as she took in the offending scent; the scent of a predator. She was accustomed to those savage canids that plagued the hillside of her own domain—those pesky creatures called wolves?—and while the metallic quality of this particular scent called to mind one of those beasts, it was also entirely different and alien to the sorceress. Had the shadowmere any hackles to raise, she would have raised them; her limbs still and her nerves clenched, Circe took stock of her surroundings, gazing about her person and trying to gauge the source of the offending ordor.

….*”Where am I?”*

The normally proud head was suddenly lowered in wariness as Circe heard the gentle murmur of another not too far away. Her leonine tail, that graceful appendage, lashed to-and-fro in alarm as her eyes caught the visage of strange creature indeed, lurking in the dewy shadows of a grove not too far away. This beast blended so well within the golden of the turning leaves, Circe had missed her outline before; now that she caught sight of the scrawny beast, the scent seemed to intensify, and within its depths Circe detected the odor of some long-dead creature. Circe focused her sight and observed the being, trying to gauge just what type of monster she was dealing with.

It seemed…like some sort of cat?

“….Are you in need?” Circe asked, her husky voice cautious as she addressed the lonely cat. Perhaps this was the height of folly for a grass-eater such as the shadowmere, but she had not been attacked yet; the cat seemed to docile and, indeed, too pitiful to certainly be a danger to the sorceress.

“I am only your enemy if you wish me to be,” Circe warned, her head lifting ever so slightly as she assessed the doleful blue eyes of the spotted feline.

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

Apollo wasn't sure what had drawn him to the Threshold on this particular day. The weather was crisp and refreshing to the horned stag, a slight breeze filtering through the thick forest of the Threshold. Honestly, it had been a very long time since he had last stepped foot in this part of Helovia, and so seeing the trees cascaded in the fiery shades of Orangemoon was somewhat entertaining. The leaves and brush all varied in hues, from the most radiant of oranges, to the bloodiest of reds, to the final, darker shades of dark, earthy browns.

Needless to say, the overo stallion was pleased that he had dragged himself away from the Foothills. With Frostfall just around the corner, he knew he would need to take advantage of the warm weather while he had it. Inhaling deeply through his nostrils, Apollo released the breath slowly. It was hard to believe that he had been in Helovia for almost a year... Where had the time gone?

Since joining the Grey and dedicating his life to his new family, Apollo had both thrived and faltered at the same time. Before coming to Helovia, he had been more sure of himself, and had lacked the plaguing loneliness that the stallion now found himself in... And yet, he had been a lost soul back then, searching desperately for foundation and structure. The blessing had been wandering into Helovia, and being found by Phaedra. Being welcomed into the Grey had been the best thing that had happened to him in a very long time.

Sucking in another deep breath in relishing in the pure, earthy smell of fall, Apollo continued his pleasant walk through the Threshold. The stallion's head was high, the tip of his icy horn pointed skywards as honey-brown orbs wandered over the fading vegetation. The beads that were threaded in his mane knocked together with each step that he took, causing an echoing click, clack, click to resonate through the forest.

It wasn't long into his journey that the Paint spotted one that was familiar, and quizically the stallion tilted his head to the side. It was Circe, his sister in the Grey, and she looked to be looking at something that was hiding in the brush... Hesitantly Apollo ventured closer, his tail flicking and nostrils flaring. Yes, there was something else with them... But what?

"Circe," Apollo beckoned, lowering his head slightly to eye the dark Executioner with cautious honeyed eyes, "Fancy meeting you out here. Is everything well?" It was as he grew closer that the monochromatic stallion's eyes rested on just what Circe was examining. Was that... A cat? Immediately Apollo went to move backwards, instincts kicking in and screaming at him to run, it's a predator, get away! but, he didn't. Instead, the Earth Medic stood where he was, lowering his head as well to sniff at the cat. There was something amiss with her...

"Are you okay?" He asked softly to the feline, examining her malnourished features. Goodness, when was the last time that she had a healthy meal? She was practically skin and bones!

[ooc: UGH. Why must my posts SUCK?! D: So sorry, both of you. Hopefully the next one will be better. <3]

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Unregistered

DONAI

The Leopard

Moments upon moments of silence seemed to pass by me, which was perfectly fine by me and in fact I wouldn’t have it any other way. Belly up in the grass, my price hanging delicately by a thin flap of skin in my teeth, and I watched the clouds go by me as a gentle breeze brushed my fur. Quiet… and peaceful….

“….Are you in need?”

…What…
Hearing a cynical voice cast over me like a shadow, my eyes widened in surprise and dropping my prized bird, a rush of adrenaline sent me rolling to my paws with haste and my head shot up to rise above the grass to meet the eyes of an intruder. For a moment my heart stopped at the very size of the animal I stared at, I had little consideration for paying attention to detail, all I could gather is it is big. My ears flattened to my skull and I watched the animal with petrified eyes, my feet ready for the dart, ready to spring into action and send me up the nearest tree. Yes I am a predator but I am what, 2 feet tall? Hungry, no, starving? Weak, thin, and found myself in a new alien world? My prey is barely as big as me; gazelle, antelope, young and weak calves fresh from the womb and barely able to walk.
This animal towered over me, and if there’s something you learn as a predator it’s: ”learn to pick your fights”, you don’t mess with a 1500lb buffalo as a 80lb predator unless you have a death wish.

“I am only your enemy if you wish me to be”

The animal made no hostile action towards me, no signs of intended attack. Gradually I calmed down enough to make a few observations, it’s big and it has a horn, and unless that horn is used as a means of reproduction I’m going to assume it’s a weapon. It’s definitely prey, tipping my nose to the air I catch the feint scent of an animal that feeds on plants. Still, it’s big, I watched the animal examine me just as I studied it. I could tell by its posture and tone that it wasn’t afraid of me, who would be? It knows I’m weak and hungry, it knows I’m small and that I don’t have the energy or power to take it down let alone defend myself should it decide to engage.

Silence dominated the moment, fearing the animal would lose patience my mouth opened in preparation for words. But before I could answer another form burst from the trees taking a spot beside the first, he was slightly smaller than the female, but still no less intimidating. He didn’t seem to notice me until he tried engaging the first beast in pleasant conversation. I could sense a lot less confidence in the male and I let my guard slip a little, though as the male approached me, my heart pounded intensely in my chest. As his shadow came over me it felt as though my heart was going to burst from my breast and I reacted quickly darting to the foot of the nearest tree, creating distance between myself and the male and grasping the bark of the tree in my claws. If they made any action to approach me, I would fly up the tree faster than a mouse darts for cover.

"Are you okay?"

His words were friendly, soft, gentle, and compassionate. He didn’t seem harmful, but he too has a horn, a dangerous weapon, and on top of that a comrade.
Looking him over it wasn’t until I got to his legs that I realized in my hurry to get away I’d left my beautiful blue bird carcass laying there in the grass. And there it was… sitting right next to the animals feet, I frowned at the idea this animal was going to be nasty enough to stomp it into the dirt ruining the smoothness of the feathers and tainting the colors of blue and green with dirt and mud…

”I’m not from around here.” I finally answered my voice soft and gentle, but clearly uneasy. I didn’t really know what to do from there; do I tell the animal that I’m starving? It would be the greatest of fortunes if the animal just dropped dead in front of me or lay down and offered herself up as an easy meal. I mentally chuckled to myself at the though, but nah, dream on.
My mouth opened as I tried to speak but the words got stuck in my throat, my subconscious taunting, laughing at me for the stupidity of the statement trying to force it’s way from my gaping mouth. ”I-I’m hungry.” And there it is, the statement of the century, a cat telling a prey animal that it’s hungry in hopes of benefiting from this. Well done, Donai.
I waited for the results of my bewildering statement.

OOC: So much muuuuse :D

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

*"Circe…Fancy meeting you out here. Is everything well?"*

Circe’s careful evaluation of the golden feline was interrupted by the grace of another, a stallion who bore a crystalline horn upon his brow and the heavy scent of the Foothills about his pelt. The shadowmere raised her head ever higher—though not as a sign of impertinent arrogance. It was merely her way to show interest in the raising of her neck, the elevation of her poll; the light in her steely eyes was a welcoming one as she assessed the approaching stud. Apollo. The Earth Medic of their group. Her tail weaved through the air as she inclined her brow slightly in a form of welcome. “Apollo,” the shadowmere spoke, her words as smoke against the brittle air,“It is indeed a pleasure. Save for the chip on a herdmate’s shoulder I believe all is well these days.” Her mouth acquired a bitter twist as she remembered the white-gray vexing creature. “But that is a story for another time; my focus for now is settled on a curious sort of newcomer…” Her speech trailed off, the timbre of her voice delicately weaving into the faint rustling of wind and leaves as her attention was placed back upon the spotted cat.

There was a faint spark of prideful satisfaction as she watched the feline bolt for the roots of the tree in caution of the larger hoofbeasts, but it was with a critical eye that Circe observed the cat’s movements. That golden spine seemed to float like water as it weaved toward the trunk; it was such a lithe movement, so careful and yet so whippet-quick, that Circe found herself impressed despite herself. In a blink, Circe was suddenly calculating the future movement that the feline might make; those claws of hers, settled in those over-large paws, could easily grip the bark and make her way towards the sky. It was an advantage that few equines possessed; even the winged warriors might be hard pressed to get passed the branches of an oak and strike at the retreating feline. And only a fool of a horse would attempt to actually climb a tree* in pursuit of a tiny feline such as her. The thought was so thick-headed, Circe actually gave a chuckle or two in disgusted amusement.

An idea was beginning to form in the depths of Circe’s mind as she gazed upon the cat—it was surely a blessing Apollo had found his way to their little pow-wow. It may be bold, but the more Circe turned it over in her head, the more she found the idea too daring to let go; this cat was starting to spark her imagination. “Who does she remind you of, Apollo?” Circe asked, her voice a mere murmur that was meant for the painted stud’s ears only. For Circe, the petite frame and golden disposition called to mind another of their dear family back in the Foothills; a tiny mare that Circe knew was head of their Intelligence network.

*”I’m not from around here..”*

Once again, the musings of the sorceress were interrupted, yet this time it was by the soft chirp of the feline as she chanced speech. Circe brought her attention back to the cat, her caution considerably lessened; the helplessness of the feline was so tangible, Circe could almost detect the bitter aftertaste in the air. When the cat expressed her hunger, the normally hard eyes of the sorceress softened ever so slightly, her gaze lingering over the hipbones protruding from that shaggy coat. “I would imagine so,” she said smoothly, chancing a step toward the feline. She had no desire to scare the poor creature—though admittedly, Circe hoped the feline might display some inner mettle that might inspire greater confidence in the shadowmere’s heart. The Grey had no time for laggards or cowards, and while it was acceptable to display caution around larger creatures, the feline would need more esteem for Circe’s plan to truly reach fruition.

“Perhaps we could show her to appropriate hunting grounds?” Circe asked suddenly, her head whipping around and lingering on the painted hide of Apollo. It was laughable to imagine the feline attacking the kin of equines; she didn’t seem as foolish as that. But it was a chance to learn more about this creature and she if she was worth the attention Circe was lavishing on her.

[*hurrhurr ]

The last thing that Apollo ever wished to do was scare the poor creature, but in the end, it seemed that it was the very thing that he did. In her fleeting dart from the cover of the brush to the roots of the tree, the feline's petite, lanky frame stood out even more than it had before. Apollo could visibly see her poor disposition, and the bones that stuck out this way and that in a silent cry of hunger. Heavens above, when was the last time this poor creature ate?

Where his mind was preoccupied by helping this feline gain some sort of meal, as lon as it wasn't him, Circe's seemed to be going in the opposite direction. Her question to him threw the painted stallion off, even for the briefest of moments.

'Who does she remind you of, Apollo?' The question, however abrupt, caused Apollo to pause in his musings, his head tilting somewhat to the right and causing the crystalline jewel upon his brow to sit askew. Who, indeed? Honey-brown orbs turned and lingered upon the skin-and-bones frame of the feline, and a frown tugged at the corner of his lips. It was then, when a sparse ray of light caught the leopard's golden coat, however dampened by the black, intricate spotting, that Apollo realized just who Circe was hinting towards.

... Phaedra.

Yes, of course, Their coloring was similar, the Earth Medic noted, but it was not the same. Where this malnourished Leopard had black splotches marring her frame, Phaedra's golden hairs were adorned with the finest of bird-catcher spots. Similar, yes, but different all the same. Deciding that it would be best to put the thoughts of the Pegasus that had stolen his heart behind him, Apollo cleared his throat and spoke.

"Yes... I can see it." It was a brief statement, and just one of agreement. He didn't want to think of Phaedra right now; while he loved her so, the thought of her magnificence also brought him a great deal of pain. Now, though... There were other matters at hand. This tiny creature in front of them, while the breed of a predator, was starving, and Apollo couldn't simply abandon someone in need. Even if they weren't of the equine variety, the Paint would be damned if he simply walked away from someone who required assistance.

"I think that might be a good idea," he commented in return to Circe, finally tearing his gentle eyes away to look back at his fellow herdmate. "There's plenty of game in the Foothills, and I don't imagine that Ktulu nor Ophelia will mind another joining our ranks... If, of course, she abides by the Grey's rules." That portion of the conversation was spoken low, but not only for Circe's ears. There was no secret that to join the Grey, and ultimately the Foothills, one had to swear loyalty to one thing; the Grey. If this feline returned to the rolling hills of their home, could she live by that creed?

Inhaling briefly through his nostrils, the Earth Medic thought this over. If they were to help this Leopard, and in turn, she joined their ranks... She could make a marvelous ally. After all, there was only so much an equin could do, even if one had wings or a horn. Those claws could be helpful one day, and her smaller size would hold some type of advantage... Making up his mind, and hoping that it wouldn't be pushing the limits between his relationship with Ktulu or Ophelia, Apollo dared one small step closer to the skinny creature and dipped his head low, so that he was more 'her height'.

"I'm sorry that you're hungry," he started, his words soft and gentle, as one would speak to a frightened child, "But I promise that we won't hurt you. My name is Apollo, and this is my dear friend Circe. We come from a lovely place called the Windtossed Foothills, where there's plenty to eat and drink. Would you, by chance, like to come with us?"

Unregistered

DONAI

The Leopard

I grew tense as the large dark female approached me, her foot steps smooth and fluid and surprisingly quiet. She’s testing me, I felt it to the bone, and her energy clung to my flesh like humidity on a hot summer day. It sunk into my veins. She wanted to get close to me, this I was sure. But I certainly wasn’t expecting to hear this:

“Perhaps we could show her to appropriate hunting grounds?

Did my ears deceive me? Or did this animal legitimately just offer me help? As I heard the male confirm my suspicions, for a second I thought nothing of it, this had to be a joke or trap. A pair of arrogant stone-feet out to make a fool out of me. My ears rolled back displaying my extreme discomfort, watching as these two stone-feet studied me like vultures on a carcass, whispering secretly to each other surely about their next plan of action. I could only contemplate the exchange of words and ideas. I was able to catch one word the two of them seemed to hiss gently into the wind The Grey, gradually my ears rotated their direction to pick up in detail whatever it was they were talking about.

"There's plenty of game in the Foothills, and I don't imagine that Ktulu nor Ophelia will mind another joining our ranks... If, of course, she abides by the Grey's rules.
”I’m sorry you’re hungry. "But I promise that we won't hurt you. My name is Apollo, and this is my dear friend Circe. We come from a lovely place called the Windtossed Foothills, where there's plenty to eat and drink. Would you, by chance, like to come with us?"

I gave a baffled look as the male horse let his head fall to come to eye level with me, the words this animal spewed into my ears, I could only describe them as utterly inconceivable. A pair of stone-feet—food, prey, dinner, my meal—asked me to peacefully walk with them on equal grounds. As an ally?
I sat back for a moment consumed by my mercilessly deafening thoughts working to comprehend the situation, what a strange world I’m in…I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted my answer to be, but then I doubt these two strangers would want to wait around for me to decide. What would the consequences be for siding with dinner? Or rather, what would the benefits be? I was probably being naïve, maybe even weak as a hunter and a predator, but I reluctantly took a step towards the strangers. I let my shield of fear and paranoia dissolve under my paws, and I let my form stop in place beside the two creatures, looking up at the two creatures that towered over me. ”Sure” I answered them ”But… I have just one question.

Who is The Grey?”

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

The glint in Circe’s eye as she studied the quality of Apollo’s expression was a pensive one; was it her, or did the stallion looked particularly aggrieved at the mention of the flighty temptress? Circe had not been in close quarters with the head of Intelligence; she had only glanced her way once before, at the only herd meeting she had been present for. The spotted mare had seemed agreeable at the time, though Circe knew appearances and surface scratches barely revealed the iceberg underneath the dismal seas; Circe supposed that there was some sort of previous association between the limber mare and the Earth Medic, an association Apollo seemed to keep secret. Well, let it be secret, Circe thought with a casual flick of her tail. If the stallion had skeletons in his closet—whether they be the remains of a lovesick heart or a knife left buried in the back—Circe absolutely couldn’t have cared any less. It wasn’t her job to know the intricacies of her herdmates’ lives; it was her duty to slaughter poor bastards and assist in the slaughter poor bastards.

Circe listened as Apollo explained to the spotted feline how they would be obliged to help the poor creature find some nourishment, coolly inclining her head when her name was mentioned; she noted the slightly bemused expression in that slitted pupil, and suddenly the sorceress was well entertained with the creature. It was only right she should feel some confusion as her own prey offered to help the cat find even more prey. Not that Circe thought herself as prey—far from it—but looking from a predator’s eyes and heart, she understood the viewpoint. To some dumb brute loping on the mountain faces in ankle-deep snow, Circe was just a dumb carcass sitting in the sunset glow of a dying forest.

*“… I have just one question…Who is The Grey?”*

Circe’s head lifted slightly, the words striking a cord deep within her memory; not so long ago the shadowmere had uttered those exact words in this exact forest, only on that occasion she spoke with the Poisoner of their outfit, Lakota. And like that occasion, Circe noted how forward the leopard spoke; she neither dawdled nor ran head first into a decision. She inquired and calculated, and all the while those quick blue eyes were assessing the two horses. The corners of Circe’s lips lifting slightly, the shadowmere decided to honor the leopard’s brevity with her own. We are the Grey,” she said simply, husky tones emanating from her lips with careful cadences, “We come from a larger body of mercenaries who fight for those who cannot fight for themselves, but can pay for the brawn of another. We belong only to ourselves; we owe no allegiance to any other herd, near or far. We fight for the right price and for the preservation of our livelihood; we look out for each other’s back and act as Shield Brother and Blade Sister to one another. Such is our communion.”

Circe paused, a thought occurring to her; Apollo seemed to think highly of the she-beast, yet how would the leopard perceive their admittedly barbaric family? Would she acquiesce to joining their family—or would she prefer the company of other, more docile groups? She decided to give the leopard the option. “If you would prefer company of a group a little less confrontational,” she said, a silken lilt entering her voice, “You might consider the Dragon’s Throat to the south, a clan full of winged warriors.” She then looked to Apollo for assistance; Circe herself was not so learned in the different tribes of Helovia, though she was aware of them.

When and if Apollo had finished his demonstrative knowledge of the other herds, Circe turned to look the leopard in her eyes. “I promised you I am no enemy so long as you wish it,” she said, her head falling slightly so that she was level with the leopard’s eyes, “Though I warn you; I cannot be responsible for the reception other families might have of you; we tend to be flighty creatures.” Giving a small chuckle that rumbled her sides, Circe let some of the tension drain from her eyes, so that they were the warmest and most genuine they had ever appeared in this forsaken land.

“Tell me, sher cat; do you have a name?”

The spotted feline seemed to poner our words seriously, a sign that Apollo took was good. Perhaps she would take them up on their offer, and in turn, join their family. The stallion's honeyed orbs remained locked on the cat's, watching as she battled with herself and her instincts, but in the end it seemed that reason overthrew evolution. She slunk up to them from her hiding place, a curious look crossing her maw, and then came the question.

'... Who is the Grey?'

Unwillingly, a soft, gentle chuckle escaped the deep confines of his breast. Who, indeed? Apollo could recall vividly when he had asked that very question, to Phaedra, of all people. It had been when he had first stepped foot in the Threshold of Helovia, wandering, lost and confused and as vulnerable as a newborn... While their relationshp back then had been strictly platonic, Apollo was glad that Phaedra had stumbled upon him when she did. While the winged mare may not know it, she had given the black and white stallion exactly what he had yearned for years; a family.

Apollo's dark ears swiveled forward as Circe went on to explain just who the Grey were, his head lifting with pride at the notion. And why shouldn't he feel pride that he was a part of such an amazing family? They watched each others backs, and while sometimes Apollo didn't agree with the more 'forceful' approach they were willing to take, it didn't stop him from standing beside his brothers and sisters in arms. He was devoted to him, just as grass was devoted on water and sunlight to grow.

"Oh, yes," Apollo said, snapping out of his reverie when Circe trailed off, inquiring about the herds that lay scattered across Helovia, "The Dragon's Throat, while I haven't been there myself, is as Circe describes. It is full of warriors, but they are respectful indivduals." The horned stag thought briefly of his good friend, Midas, who served as the Dragon's Throat General. "Then there is the World's Edge, to the west. They are a family of welcoming individuals, who would readily have you should you choose to join their ranks... And then, there's the Basin, but few who do not wear horns upon their brow are welcomed there. I would advise you remaining far from there unless you're looking for a scuffle."

The Earth Medic grew silent then, allowing Circe to continue with most of the speaking. The stallion hoped that this leopard would join them. Especially since she already said that she would, well... A smile upturned the corners of his lips, head tilting slightly with genuine interest as he waited to hear the feline's name.

Unregistered

DONAI

The Leopard

Immediately I could feel how this kingdom worked and what part these animals played in it, this is a land of alliances and deception. A little like my old kingdom where territories were ruled by cats of the largest kind: thick, muscular, giant cats of tawny brown color spouting long, wooly manes covering their necks down to their chest. Cats far larger, faster, and stronger than I. Dwindling over the image of the beasts my thoughts ran back to the very king who’d given me the painful cuts going down my left eye, and for a moment those cuts seemed to burn like they had the day that ruthless brute brought his unforgiving hand upon my face. I squinted briefly as the memory threatened to tear a hole in my soul.
The wound is benign now, closed up with chunks of dried blood and dead fur lingering on the exposed healing skin which left a furless mark on my face. I only really notice it when see my reflection in the water as I go to drink, that monster had come so close to removing my eye I’d say it was a fair bit of luck that he didn’t. But I didn’t feel sorry for myself over a little cut, frankly I feel happy to be alive.

The Grey are a band of mercenaries, if I recall the term ‘mercenaries’ correctly a gang or family that make a living off of killing others. They live by their own code, the creed they wanted me to sign over to, they would accept no one but family and I would have to be that family. Highly unusual for a solitary hunter such as myself.
I picked out the female’s careful choice of words, the brief pauses in her tone as she tried to pull me into her vortex with gentle force but still giving me room to flee if I needed to, I appreciated this about her. Both of them seemed gentle towards me, both of them spoke of other families, different areas where more of these stone-feet gathered. Giving me the clear option that if this wasn’t the right place for me I was more than welcome to ‘get lost’ but they probably would view me as an enemy if that was my desired path. The male’s voice reassured me, his calm and cool words deluding my fears. ’It’ll be ok’ I told myself. With that I reached down to scoop up the rotting bird in my teeth, hell ya I’m taking this with me! The thoughts of my scar pestered me now. Maybe if I would’ve had family like this long ago this disaster would not have happened, strength in numbers. Wead da ray!” I answered with a mouth full of bird and an enthusiastic smile.

“Tell me, sher cat; do you have a name?”

I stood at their foot sides, for a moment looking down at the males thick, stone hard plated hooves. They reminded me of zebra only larger, relatives perhaps? I snapped back from my day dreaming to answer the female, of which I was forced to hold the bird in my fore paw cradling it against my chest so they could understand me. Donai, I am Donai.” I thought to ask what they were but I didn’t want to offend either of them, they viewed me as an equal I decided to follow their example. They are not “food” they are not “things”, they are friends.