the Rift

Asleep and Dreaming [Tares]

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I took a deep breath, and rise to join Tares in the water. I thought about what she had said, and she was right. The past could not get to me, now that I had a new place to start over and a friend to start with. My brother and I were strangers…there was nothing I could do to change that at all. Right now, everyone was a stranger to me, even Tares and Arbutus. Though I liked them so very much, I hardly knew them; the question remained of why I was opening myself up to them. I waded through the water, closer to Tares and watched as she examined her own reflection. The marking around her eye in contrast with her black coat seemed to glow in the sun, and her coat shimmered. Her eyes looked judgmental towards herself, to which I was perplexed. “Hey, don’t look at yourself that way. You’re a beautiful mare, and if you think your markings change that, then my nose must make me look ridiculous.” Immediately, I wished I could take back my words. I had no right to tell this mare anything, and she could look at herself however she wanted. I quickly turned around and dipped my head in embarrassment, hiding again behind my mane as a curtain.

“I’m sorry,”I whispered. I shook my head and took a few steps away. What was I doing, letting two complete strangers into my head? My stupid, empty head, I thought resentfully. I could not keep going on like this, and felt the overwhelming need to retreat and take back all the personal things I had let slip into the air and jam them all back into my head. Only I knew that would never happen. I turned back to Tares. “The clouds feel just like this, but lighter. It’s a great feeling right?” I laughed feeling strained and cursed my heart for trusting too quickly, a quality that I knew could be risky. I longed to be like Tares, letting no one in, therefore I could not get hurt as easily. I somehow knew I always did this, and every time, I was wronged. There are reasons you do not trust strangers, and I had yet to learn any, but I knew when I did, they would be learned the hard way.

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

Unintentionally, we seem to have switched moods. Where she is calm and high spirited, I have brought myself down to a lower, deeper level of sadness. So much for telling her not to dwell on the past; sinners shouldn't preach.

I despise the thought that I am a hypocrite, but as she, rather shockingly and powerfully, compliments me, I become further aware of it. I find nothing particularly wrong with my looks, but so many had, once. I was practically an unclassified being, with a short excuse for a horn that seemed to bring me disgrace where I walked. Despite cleft hooves and a brilliantly whip like tail, I was known for my wings. And worst of all, I was known for my father. I think of him now as a hero, but then... what was he to me then but a figure in the distance? At night I would pray for him to come and rescue me from the living hell that I experienced under my mother's lashes, but each morning I would awaken alone once more.

I fade back to the present and notice a tone of regret in her voice. She apologizes; for what? I wonder. My reply is swift but slightly cold, cloaked in my usual apathy. I had left myself vulnerable, and suddenly felt myself closing up again. "It's fine," I answer, directing my gaze back down to the warm water and trying to find my hooves through it.

She speaks of clouds and swimming, but I've experienced neither. "I can't say I'm much of a swimmer," I comment softly, letting my tail swirl in the water and my aching hocks rest in the soothing water while the rest of my form remains on edge. Arbutus has taken flight and now wheels above us in circles, following the path of the vulture, but with the intention of keeping a watchful eye on me. Strange how he can sense such a sudden regression in me, even from afar.

Unregistered

I lost her. With her quick, emotionless reply to my apology, I knew that I had lost her trust, the carefree feeling of friendship that we had had ever so briefly. I sighed with even more regret. I knew I should not open up to a complete stranger, but I had been and what would have been the harm in continuing? Now I had no chance of getting closer to Tares. The feeling that I had messed up was sadly familiar, and I could tell that I had messed many things up in my lifetime. For the first time, I was glad I could not remember any. I looked at her now emotionless face, wishing to see the warmth in them that was there minutes ago, and I hated myself for making it go away. I turned from Tares and waded a little ways away from her, with my head hanging ever so slightly.

I sat in the water and watch the clear liquid swish around my hooves, blending with the white one and contrasting with the rest of the black. I stared at my own face, and still the white vine marking was startling to me. I wondered if I would ever get used to it. My eyes were hard, filled with resentment for myself, with a soft underlay of sadness, that to see one would have to know me well or either be very perceptive. I felt a sudden rush of anger at my reflection, partly because I still did not recognize this mare to be me yet, and I had to resist the urge to stomp my own face from the lake’s surface. If I did, Tares would know something was wrong. I settled for looking away, up to Arbutus circling in the sky. How I would love to be a carefree bird, not having to worry about what I said or did, always having someone to love me no matter what. I felt myself wanting Tares to wade over to me with her comforting wings of fire. I thought she would be able to recognize the sadness under the resentment. Yet, I knew that opening up to her again wouldn’t be as easy for me. I rose and walked out of the water to the shore, where I shook my mane and tail, watching the water droplets sparkle in the sunlight.

Deceased
Alex

As soon as she leaves the water, with an attempted hidden air of dejection and self depreciation, I feel guilt knock me square in the face. Arbutus ends his path and swoops down to brush against me with disappointment, before landing by the other mare. I realize that I've done wrong, that closing up to a mare as kind and gentle as this can in no way be beneficial. There is a heavy sense of shame that I carry, knowing that I have effectively swept the joy from her bright, green eyes.

"I like your marking," I call out quietly and seemingly out of nowhere. I hadn't responded to her previous comment, but was it ever too late to offer a compliment? In my short time with Aure I'd learned that. On the shore, Arbutus perked up and looked at me approvingly, urging me to go forward. "I apologize, Aure," I began, slowly carrying my body through the water and back out to the shore where Aure stood. Droplets from her mane hit me square in the face, and I swallowed the reflex to rear and shy away. It was just a splash of water- surely I wasn't to be that skittish.

My own tail drags along on the ground, looking odd with the hair wet and clinging to itself. I make no attempts to dry myself, I simply stand beside her and gently nudge her withers with my nose. "Ever since I was a filly I've been rather... reserved. I did not mean to scare you away," I explain apologetically, my yellow gaze trying to express the worry I feel. I had not intended to hurt her feelings in such a way.

The feather in my mane snaps into flame, and I lower my wings to stretch over my legs, letting them dry off in the wake of the heat. And oh, the heat- how dreadful it is under the hot Tallsun noon, with the sky too bright to admire and the sun to harsh to pray to. I wonde if the heat and the wildfires were signals from the gods of fire and light. I wondered why they would do such a thing. My thin black coat twitches with discomfort, my tail whips up as if to scare off a fly. I feel uncomfortable in the land... I wonder if Aure feels it too. "Perhaps we should find an escape from the heat," I suggest with an extension of my neck that causes my nose to stroke the base of hers, and my breath to trace the path. "The oasis surrounding Dragon's Blood should provide us some shade at the very least."

Unregistered

I inhaled sharply when Tares’ nose touched mine, and I smiled ever so slightly thinking about how she liked my marking. I was still hesitant to share with her as much as I had but her offering to become closer to me was so sweet that I nodded and followed her over to the shade. I sat again basking in the relief of the cool breeze that washed over my coat as the last water droplets dried. “Thank you…For the sweet notion of liking my mark. Yours is striking. And you are right, the shade is lovely.” I touched my nose to hers with a soft whinny, to let her know that I apologized for my terrible mood swings. I was overjoyed that we had stopped being awkward for now and I was determined to make the best of it.

“This sun is unbearable. How do you stand it?”I made awkward small talk, trying to keep the easiness of our interaction going, but not knowing anything to say. I looked up at her, and could sense she was feeling guilty about how she had closed up. I smiled warmly with the joy back in my green eyes, and touched my front leg to hers to let her know that my happiness was her doing. As I did my own voice played in my head, “When you want to show someone respect and friendship, Bayard, you touch your leg to theirs like this.” I jumped in surprise, knowing instinctively that this was a moment that I was talking to my younger brother. A pang of regret stung my chest, but looking at Tares, I knew that I could not let this moment get to me. Bayard had moved on now, and so had I, in my own unique way.

I shook out my mane, which was now completely dry and looked up at Tares apologetically. I smiled again to show her that I did not let the flashback get to me. My green eyes met yellow and I immediately felt comfort. My baby brother, as much as I probably loved him, was not my baby brother any longer, and I wished I could accept it as well I wanted. It would take time though. I realized that when I woke up on one of those days when my memory would fail me, I would have to go through the process of acceptance again. The thought made me tired and I could feel my wings droop to the ground.

Deceased
Alex

The walk to the oasis is long and silent, but upon our arrival I feel the shade as a gentle release. Dark creatures such as us surely suffer most in the heat- I only wish there was some sort of magic that could stave it off. Arbutus trails behind reluctantly, clearly happier out in the open skies, basking in the very light that he is made of. I envy him somewhat for his hardiness and constant source of energy, but I suppose if I had those things I'd be a very different mare than I am now.

I reply at first only with a nod of my head and a gentle smile when we arrive beneath the shade of the trees and she compliments my markings. It's rare that I receive such remarks, and I'm easily flattered. Not easily fooled, however. Not impressionable, no... I am strong. Strong, at the very least, in my separated weakness. But I don't feel that forced alienation around Aure, perhaps because she is simply so accepting of all creeds. At least that is how it seems- then again, I am in a way the first mare she has ever met. She asks about the bitter sun, and I whinny lightly as if laughing. "I don't, only followers of the God of the Sun can stand it. He has stretched Tallsun for many seasons now, leaving us exhausted and at his mercy," came the sad but true response. As much as I loved his charges, I would never worship a god as cruel and self involved as the God of the Sun. I had heard of him after coming here, and as faint as their presences seemed to be in this same land, I had maintained my worship for the Fox of Light and the Phoenix of Fire. Finding Arbutus... well, it was a blessing and a sign from the spiritual mother.

She touches her leg to mine, and though the first instinct is to balk, I stand stiff and receive, and understand, the gesture. I fold my legs and let my body slowly drop as she dazes off, and I wonder if she is remembering things again. My tail, at last dry, but turned a lighter gray by its covering of dust, curls around my gaskin and lays to rest across my thigh. My horn, barely poking through my thin and long mane, seems a light gray in the shadow. My gaze slowly travels back to Aure, who seems disheartened by this latest memory. Arbutus, perched above, seemed concern, and begins to coo almost mournfully. "What's wrong?" I inquire, my head cocked slightly and my eyes holding an expression of deep concern for the troubled mare.

Unregistered

Tares looked at me inquisitively, and her concern only made my wings droop more. “I’m going to have to accept the fact the my family has moved on every single time my memory decides to fail me. I’ll have to go through the process of missing them, regretting not knowing them, and then trying to accept that our lives no longer relate.” I sighed at the thought of the long and painful process, repeating itself for my entire life. I did not care if my past was awful and scarring, just to know it would make me feel better, so the questions were not there. That struck me as an awful thought, considering Tares’ situation. It seemed that neither of us had what we wanted and we would just have to work through it. I hoped we could do it together.

I folded my wings strongly against my sides and shook my mane back from my face. Hiding from my situation would do nothing to help me endure the grief that came with it. “It will be alright. Someday, I’ll have someone to help me remember and understand my condition. I know that I will not have to do this alone for the rest of my life. You’ll find someone too, Tares, to help you cope. No one ever has to be alone unless they choose to be so.”

I looked at her with great concern and compassion shining in my bright green eyes, that I could tell she liked. A small part of me wished she would tell her story, but I knew that may take a while. Lucky for her, I was ready to wait a while.

Deceased
Alex

Aure suddenly seems to care less about the plight of the herds versus the God of the Sun, and suddenly she focuses on more personal matters. As a rule I shy away from them, but given her condition and her tendency to be irresistibly kind, I can't make myself shut her out again. She speaks with optimism, feeding back to me what I had said but not understood before. What I said practically she said with emotion- while I had given callous advice, she makes me feel with her words.

And though I won't go as far as to call it all wisdom, I fail to see the harm in trying her way of thinking. I worry, though, that she won't be able to do it herself. Then again, can anyone? Not according to Aure- she says that we'll need company to cope. That loneliness, alienation, everything I've been purposefully subjecting myself to all my life, will do nothing to aid me. I suffer with the burden of the realization that I've been carrying myself incorrectly for years- that the downwards slope of my back and the hunch in my shoulders only served to bring me more pain.

More pain that that which had already rested in my gaze has been building up until now, when I learn how wrong I have been. My cloven hooves dig into the earth and it flies up in a dry, powdery dust, having been subject to Tallsun's heat even despite the shade. Not the shade is really enough, I can still feel the rays beating down on me as if it were noontime in the desert. I can still feel the mistakes and the emotion that accompanies them seeping through the canopy and finding their way down to me.

Arbutus senses my distress, and flies to my side in an instant. He resumes his post upon my withers, and picks at the base of my neck both affectionately and encouragingly. I cannot look at Aure, I feel too weak and lost to fathom continuing our conversation. The day has been long, the sun has left me weary. And so I rise, shoving aside the pain in my legs at first, and then realizing that I can't just do that any more. Realizing that I have to accept the worst of things, as painful as it may be. "I- I need to think," I burst out softly, keeping my head low and my gaze away from Aure's sparkling green one. The feather snaps again, making a noise like a spark or a whip, and my wings stretch upwards towards the sky. Sensing that we're to part, Arbutus turns forlornly to Aure and emits a soft, comforting coo. I let out a huff of air, practically choking on the dry heat of my next inhalation, and toss a soft goodbye to Aure as I lift off, and, suddenly, awkwardly, and alone, hit the air as I have been doing for years.