the Rift

I'm A Fallen Warrior [OPEN]

Ahi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
‡ a h i ‡
i'll be your lantern in the night encasing you with light

"A cave, is where I am. I have nothing but my thoughts and those might as well be gone. Let me die here. I'm alone. Nothing else to live for. No. Stop it, Ahi. She was a brood and nothing more. A traitor! You wishing for death would in a way let her and the rest of them win! You're a damn warrior, time to start acting like it!" But it wasn't right. She had betrayed us and killed my rider.

My thoughts clouded my mind. The last thing that happened was an explosion and now I'm in this cave with a migraine. I try and open my eyes, wondering if it's even worth it. But maybe I am dead. Maybe my conscience just escaped and here's my body.

My eyes flicker and what do I see? A giant white blur, but this white blur has streaks of green in it. I blink again, my head throbbing. It clears away and the image is becoming more clear. My deep blue eyes keep blinking until the pain is gone and my eyes can see. Then my body becomes more aware of where I am. More aware of what I'm feeling. Then the rest of my senses come pouring in like a waterfall and the sounds of the forest fill my ears with a warm greeting.

I realize I'm on the ground, completely. My stocky squarish shaped head is lying on a tree root and my body is sprawled out over the forest floor, I'm lying on my left side. My left wing is flat on the ground, completely spread out in a grassy patch that I was so fortunate to land in. My other wing is bent slightly and close to my body. My heavily feathered legs move slightly as I try to push myself up. My large and wide hooves push against the dirt and my muscles flex as I heave myself upwards.

I'm now standing and my short and stocky body shakes. I hold out my neck and shake it, tossing my black mane everywhere before it settles back in it's part. But there's a white streak in it as well, and it follows suit. My bangs cover my forehead. I swish my black tail and it too has a white streak. The two feathers permanently set at the base of my tail soon sort themselves out.

My dark brown head turns as I scan the forest, looking for danger. I realize it's much like the ones where I am from. I'm always like this, observative. Then I ask myself, how many others are here? Am I the only one? It's time to move on and I recognize this. I need a new cause and a new life to protect. I'm a warrior, or one in training. I'm not arrogant nor cocky enough to even deem myself worthy of such a title right now.

I wonder if I can escape this forest and see what else is out there by flight. Something tells me I should stay put, under the canopy for now. I tuck my tired and worn wings by my side, tightly. My blue eyes scan everywhere and a husky deep grunt comes from deep within my chest as I begin to walk, muscles rippling slightly as I go.

Image Credits

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

As the vivid wash of sunset hues drowned the ailing sun, a young grey mare found herself slipping between bony woodland fingers and their skeleton shadows once again. She travelled due south from the northern most tip of the thickly wooded Threshold, her swinging strides both steady and determined. Africa was a moth in the moonlight, dancing to the flickering of an unseen flame; flailing and fluttering in a giant world which was as intimidating as it was enticing. She knew not where she was headed, foolish perhaps, but the young horse heeded only the echoing mystery in her mother’s aged voice. ‘There is magic beyond our home my child...’ Her skin prickled with wild excitement; she was hopelessly lost (blinded in her delusion) and so far from anything familiar. ‘Kings and their Queens rule enchanted empires...’ Africa stumbled clumsily as memories; stories flooded her conscious mind, filling her starry eyes with myth and fantasy beyond even her wildest dreams. ‘Keep looking Africa, open your mind!

She broke then into a clamorous canter, adrenaline fuelling her already worn strength; illusion drawing her deeper and further into the densely grouped pines. Oblivious and at liberty finally to do as she wanted, the schooling laid carefully into her by dutiful parents was for the most part forgotten, and Africa bucked childishly and scattered stones wherever her neat round hooves cut down.

Night would smother the light quickly now, and the grey mare felt the cold hard finger of isolation drag down the length of her spine. It was a viciously awakening sensation, and she snapped finally, clean from her dreamlike frenzy; where she was free of responsibility and comprehensively ignorant that she was no longer safe. Africa slowed quickly, her body jerking uneasily as she slithered to a halt. Was she truly lost? This was no game.

An owl burst from a low branch nearby and Africa startled, jolting her face away fearfully. She drew her wings in tightly against her the roundness of her smooth barrel and felt the insulating warmth of their closeness. She peered through the concealing shadows of dusk, unsure how far she had come (riding on a cloud of youthful bliss and exhilaration) through the Threshold. An urge seeped like floodwater through her mind and she turned her face until her lips were brushing, nibbling, then grasping a long grey feather where it clung tightly to her wing. She plucked it, flinching slightly at the pinch- then she plucked another; and another. Each feather was discarded, let to twirl downwards upon the musty rush of air, until it lay forgotten amongst the dried pine needles on the forest floor.

Africa sighed nervously, shifting her weight and traced the dark, slim silhouettes of trees- all around her. There was no moon yet; or its milky soft glow could not penetrate so deeply into this place to comfort the young horse. Through wide, unblinking eyes she peered around. It was not so daunting, yet surely she had graced this very patch in her many visits previously. The snag of a brittle twig underfoot dragged her attention right rapidly and the meek Pegasus saw movement; another horse in the brush. She called then, inviting his company as the daylight seeped away. “You there.” Her voice was tenderly mild as it blended with the light breeze. “Hello, do you seek company this evening?

(ooc: I hope you don't mind that I made it evening, got a bit carried away in the moment :P)

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Unregistered
‡ a h i ‡

My eyes blinked a few times and I stopped in my tracks quickly. I needed to wait a bit more for I was still a bit woozy. Move too quick and I was liable to fall face first. That definitely was not on my agenda for today nor ever. Somehow I had already managed to do just that and end up in this place. How had I gotten here, anyways?

My blue eyes rolled and my neck shook as I stood to regain my regal-like posture. The royal walking of my old home was something we took pride in. It was more like a dance type walk that often entranced younger children and foals. Instead of it being some prance it was more like an inebriated stumble.

I outstretched my wings down to my side so their entire span covered the small clearing in length. They were being used for balance rather than anything more right now. Their silky like appearance reflected the glints of evening light. I looked my wary eyes up into the canopy, seeking the signs that nature so carefully gave us all to tell the time of day. The brightness shocked my eyes once I finally found what I sought. I recoiled my head almost instantly for my eyes weren't ready for it.

I was weak right now... I was vulnerable. It hurt my pride and my dignity; I was independent and strong, not prey. This wasn't me! It wasn't right! During that time, I swear I felt the universe wasn't rightly balanced.

I stepped back in my recoil and stirred up a pile of leaves in the process. I heard slight crunching from the dead leaves being compressed into the earth by the weight of my large hooves. I was destroying my own cover by acting cowardly. I had to be cautious for I wasn't in a right position to fight just currently. Soon, but not now.

A voice erupted into the silence of the forest and I froze all movement, my head instantly flying to the direction of the voice to my left. I drew my wings to my body defensively by instinct. It was just a reaction from the battles and meeting unknown strangers I just so happened to do subconsciously, if I thought about it or not. Not even the sweetest and youngest of voices had managed to throw me off yet.

"You there! Hello, do you seek company this evening?"

It was an abrupt meeting and my confused mind was not yet prepared. "Damn it!" I thought. I wanted to be more equipped for any confrontations. Best to play it safe, but of course I was a gentlemen either way until hostility was inevitable.

"Why m'lady, I'm not quite sure how I've found myself in this predicament. I'm searching for a place to call home and a good cause to protect."

I huff with frustration and shake my head. It must have been some hard fall, however I got here. Luckily, it wouldn't last lot.

"I'm getting caught up with myself. I go by Ahi, and you may be?"

My short and stocky body walked towards the mare, deep blue eyes scanning the mare.

"Talk"

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Pale eye’s glistened, absorbing the last straying light as darkness continued to seep snugly around her and she watched the stranger with selfless intent. He was shorter and stockier, than most Africa had seen; certainly more so than herself. To her, the dimness of his noticeable coat in the dusk glow was decorated with a frost of minute stars; so delicate that she wanted to reach forward through the thick choking stench of pine to brush them with her lips. An imaginative smile passed through her curious expression as he seemed to withdraw into himself. A defence mechanism? the starry eyed girl wondered kindly. I have been there, she whispered faintly into the cool thieving breeze and closed her eyes. She wanted to comfort him, to convince him there was no threat poised above her vanishing shadow.

Africa opened them again, and already it was darker outside; his form was lit now, only by the lighter contrast in the brown of his body against his grim surroundings. Now she could not find the crop of that thick mane she had before noticed; no tail draped limply to his rear and his head was fading too- she laughed softly through broad nostrils, light-heartedly. He was headless, and he was speaking.

Through forward tipped ears, the dapple grey drank the baritone sound of the stranger’s voice. "Why m'lady, I'm not quite sure how I've found myself in this predicament. I'm searching for a place to call home and a good cause to protect.” His voice rang earnestly and she was gullible regardless. "I'm getting caught up with myself. I go by Ahi, and you may be?" She could not trace impurity, or menace through its underlay. A lesson by way of undeserving wickedness had already notched itself into the youthful, though simple clarity of her mind. She would not make that mistake twice- surely. Her legs were light of weight, strapped with power and strength and they pranced forward playfully so that the young mare might unite them a little more intimately.

I am Africa, brother...” She breathed tenderly, reaching forward convivially to ease the now obvious frustration engraved into his expression with a delicately sweeping touch. I like you. The grey Pegasus inhaled at length, drawing his scent close to her beating heart. “There is no predicament while you stand in my company.” Africa smiled again as her eyes- untrained in the darkness, met his gaze and roved between his own. “Ahi, you seem flustered. Are you alright?” She lifted her head somewhat further away from him, assessing the discernible parts of his body for sign of damage. We can heal your wounds.Are you hurt?” She asked again quietly, oblivious of her own barrage of questions- their only meaning was concern.

Unregistered
‡ a h i ‡

Brother. One being had ever called me that. I had heard it one time in my short life. That was from the lips of my rider that was now fallen. Despite the pang in my heart, I smiled brightly. It felt good to hear that word- THOSE words. That phrase was welcoming and warm coming from an individual that seemed of no harm.

I smiled and nodded a thanks at her words of company and the like. Once more, I sensed no shadiness coming from the mare. My eyes began to readjust once more and I then noticed she had wings as well. It was a feeling of relief, knowing I wasn't the only one here. Perhaps that meant there was more pegasi.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Africa."

Coming to her next question, I grew slightly perplexed. Should I tell her that I have a concussion, that could be a weakness. I knew all to well how one so innocent could prove so guilty. However, if she was not lying in the slightest bit, I could receive the rest needed. If I told her I was fine, there would more than likely be no attacks, but if she was not lying I would lack any treatment I could use.

"Aye, I am not in the best of shape. However I ended up here, it was not in an elegant manner. Rather a nasty fall. Shall you be an ally, I have a minor concussion. I cannot see straight, hear right, nor walk a straight line. Shall you be a foe, I am perfectly fine with wings of the air and skills of steel."

I smile a friendly smile, aiming at the fact that I could tell she meant no harm. My bright blue eyes gleamed slightly less as the sun began to sink below the tree line even more.

[[OOC: Not at all! Thanks for replying! :) ]]

Image Credits
"Talk"

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Bitter and penetrating, a burst of wind howled with sudden ferocity down from the northern icefields. It promised to lay frost across the grounded and weary that night. Africa shivered as cold fingers clawed down her warm, clamy hide. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Africa." Ahi told her, before befuddlement stole the fleeting glint of relaxation almost carving through his unease. The dapple grey was by nature gentle, pure and sensitive; she remained untouched by the subtle frigidness in his presentation, comfortable and confident in her own endeavour to aid. Through watchful, patient eyes she encouraged the progress of his thoughts, however the detail therein she could not know. You can trust me...

Long strings of dim grey mane snagged in windswept tangles across the tilt of Africa’s pricked, black rimmed ears, though she did not shake them away. They fell lazily forward against the thick handful of forelock which already slipped away to either side of her pale eyes. She seldom cared for her appearance; for maintaining a shell which would undoubtedly splash with mud in the next rainfall. Her attention was mostly engrossed in the world around her- in Ahi as it were on this occasion. "Aye, I am not in the best of shape. However I ended up here, it was not in an elegant manner. Rather a nasty fall. Shall you be an ally, I have a minor concussion. I cannot see straight, hear right, nor walk a straight line. Shall you be a foe; I am perfectly fine with wings of the air and skills of steel."

Again, her twitching black lips moved through the darkness to caress the doubt and suspicion from his ailing mind. “I am no ally funny sir. I am of your blood, your brethren; we are united by flight. .” She giggled softly, breathing against the warmth of his body before she withdrew her long, arching neck and slanted her face to the side contemplatively. I suppose we are allies, yes. She smiled warmly, lost in silent reflection. “My home, Dragons Throat, will see you protected and comfortable while you recover and gather your bearings. While your cause is a valiant one, you should rest yourself first, my friend..” It was an offering yes, but the words were also somewhat a directive- he was by no means fit enough to refuse her asylum; she would care for him herself until he was ripe with vigour and clarity once more.

Will you come?” Africa asked softly, her voice melding into the churning breeze as it billowed through the creaking tree branches around them. She spoke a little louder for him, and stepped closer so that her words could not this time be lost. “We will call upon someone to mend you..” With knowledge and talent far beyond my worth- I still only dream of such magic. She remembered well, as it was her interest, when Kri had asked if Lana had been in need of such a healer. The young mare fell quiet again while her eyes fought back the shadows as they threatened to steal Ahi away into the austerity of the night.

Unregistered
‡ a h i ‡

I chuckle at her words, for they were of an apparent source of sincere purity. No gimmicks could be picked apart with lies and I had a bit of experience in that department. I loved what she said, implying we were truly allies.

"M'lady, I truly trust you but I know all too well how blood can betray you, unfortunately."

The smile remained though now it might not be visible from my dark head now fading into the light. Instead, I chuckled lightheartedly and then traversed onto another topic smoothly. With what the mare brought next, I brought that into conversation.

"Alas, it is, of course, a wise decision to go with such a pure and trustworthy source. This Dragon's Throat sounds to be a wonderful place. If you can heal me along with provide a cause, I will be ever in the Throat's debt and your's, of course, beyond measure."

My husky and deep voice, yet still ringing of youth, faded into a smile. The idea of having a new home to protect, brought a grin upon my face and a rise of my brow.

"So that being said, of course. I shall come. I think flying might be my best bet of transportation, however. I think it's the only part of my body that still has some coordination for now."

I chuckle once more, hinting at a friendly and warm tone.

Image Credits
"Talk"

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Dragons Throat. Africa had negotiated the vastly beautiful distance between Helovia’s fringe and her home on numerous occasions now. There had been occasions where she had stopped to dabble amid patchwork thickets and scrubland, or great stretches of golden meadow; and other times when necessity had lifted her wings beyond the slothful glide of midday clouds so that she could soar with haste through her heart-home- the sky. Either way, as she smiled amiably now along with the finally calmed chuckle of Ahi, the young grey was in her mind, tracing the smoothest and swiftest path which would soon take them home.

“M'lady, I truly trust you but I know all too well how blood can betray you, unfortunately.” Betrayal... Most unfortunate. Thoughtfully, though finding little sentiment in the word, the mare studied her stocky stallion companion, through eyes that sought to at least try to understand. Yet she had no experience to draw from, and thus could not relate to the contempt surrounding his phrase. Africa had been sheltered throughout her favourable childhood. There had been no malice, no disloyalty, nor any tarnish to permanently scar the impressionable heart of an infant. In many ways she was still locked in perpetual bliss.

A second chuckle melted away and silence again befell the couple, if only briefly. Africa was pleased to have Ahi’s company that night- many creatures moved through the night-time; eerie and unsettling in their ways, and her eyes were certainly not so skilled in the dark, as they were in the bright day. Her mottled friend began to speak again and the sound of his baritone voice was comforting. “Alas, it is, of course, a wise decision to go with such a pure and trustworthy source. This Dragon's Throat sounds to be a wonderful place. If you can heal me along with provide a cause, I will be ever in the Throat's debt and yours, of course, beyond measure.” It was her turn to chuckle, and she did so, thoroughly enjoying the innocent steadfastness of his goal to serve.

I am but a lowly minion in this adventure, aiming solely to please.” Her honesty rose through invisible clouds of breath, laced with integrity and humility. “Although, if it is truly your will to protect, we shall go together when you feel well and find Midas.” Affection tightly hemmed the name of the Throat’s General as it was revealed- he had been to Africa, perhaps what she was now to Ahi. The mare paused, politely allowing all that she had spoken due time to be absorbed. “There is no debt, lovely Ahi.” She practiced his unusual name with copied grace, recalling artfully his previously fluid pronunciation. We work with the same ambition.

The motionless watch of another owl (perhaps) was startled from its roost when the muffled step of another was betrayed by cracking litter. Africa’s face snapped attentively in the direction of the sound, though her pale eyes could not penetrate the line of trees encompassing her and Ahi without aid of moonlight. Perhaps the languid crawl of cloudy streamers was shrouding her glow; soon enough they would know. “So that being said, of course. I shall come. I think flying might be my best bet of transportation, however. I think it's the only part of my body that still has some coordination for now.” Her ears returned to meet the warmth in his tone, and her peaceable smile remained. I will guide you well...Another lurks, I believe it is time to take shelter in flight.” Africa gathered the idle droop of her wings, and started forward, leading the search for a clearing whose ceiling did not imprison.

The air cleared ever so slightly not long after; it was the sign of liberating space Africa had been looking for. She was ever mindful of the wearied condition of Ahi, and relief spread freely through her being. “Here we are.” She whispered, turning to find if he had followed her well. She waited regardless, considerate should he need to catch his breath or rest again for a short moment. A brief time later, she turned again towards him with a reaching muzzle to try and meet his own- a signal of sorts, that it was time to depart the Threshold. She had sought the wind to be in their favour. Leaping gracefully into a short sprint (her frame was solid by heritage, though elegant, and did not lift so easily- yet not so heavy like Ahi’s), Africa opened her broad wingspan and beating heavily, lifted away quickly into the cold wind. Checking frequently on the progress of her companion, she guided them in a clean circle and began the journey south.

(ooc: I will put a thread up in the Throat :D)