the Rift

Flakes of gold for you? (Onni, Open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
You had such a lovely crooked smile
Midas
A heart would take much grief and love throughout its lifetime. Emotions could lift a spirit high from the ground without even the need for wings; or it could sodden an existence until nothing of a pure soul remained. It seemed with each morning I awoke to a healing spirit, the lord had applied necessary ointment to my festering wounds. All that remained was for me to rest and tend to body and soul. Every day was a challenge anew like the light of twilight in the evening. This evening in particular was quiet, peaceful. Finally things seemed to calm back down into a welcoming loll of anticipation. Our enemies vanquished and the threat of attack seemed like a distant memory. Though Kri would have us at our peak and for the most part this herd was still widely alert for trouble, it was hard to remain constantly aware without taking a moment to simply enjoy life.

I watched each ray of light slowly fade from the sky until nothing but a sheen of its previous glory remained. The coolness of night fell over the Throat, stars began to come out one by one until the heaven was full of them. Young horses fell asleep with the eyes of their guardians keeping careful watch. Tonight I held the shift inland, my task for this evening was to keep careful eye over our sleeping family. Patrolling at night was always easier than during the day, for one the temperatures were more appeasing and two it was usually quiet. Less hustle and bustle gave opportunity for extra time to be spent in gathering bits of gold from the area I walked. I had been collecting flakes of this precious stone for weeks now, prying it the sand by magic alone. This land was rich in gold and other metals.
Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>

I am still somewhat afraid of the dark.

This is no childhood born malady, but rather one developed during my adult years. Lyhty would never understand, though he might have caught a glimpse or two of the creatures which haunt my mind. It is in the dark hours of the night, when the moon shines dull light on the world, that I begin to pray for the sun to hurry its pace back to my home. Every shadow seems to be a monster, awaiting me with glowing red eyes and vengeance. It was strange to consider, for even Perpetua had been illuminated by the pale light of the moon on that night, but it seemed the dark nature of night could not be shaken by the silver glow. Even though the thought of the cloud kingdom brought a frown to fall upon my lips, I am reminded of another pain, another face to mourn. Moth. He had been my companion there, when I had first encountered the dark spirits of the night. In fact, even when the Dreamscape had produced such a phantom in the broad daylight, Moth had been at my side.

Now, I found myself wishing in the dark for his same presence. What does it mean to be in love? I certainly don't know, but if I had to be in love with anyone in this world, I would guess his name would be Moonfeather Moth.

There was a brief time when he had been within the Throat with me, and now I do not know where he has gone off to. I was relieved to see him well, so I am not entirely saddened by his disappearance. He had never been a fan of the heat, despite choosing to live on the Islands with me. Much like Lyhty, there were few times when Moth was not accompanying me. It is no wonder that I feel the weight of his absence heavily now, even if it makes Lyhty somewhat sour when I consider it. I think the small bird prefers to be the center of my attention, but his soul is still kind. We are ultimately here to aid others in healing. Through the light of the sun, my current shield against the dark nights, we are able to heal others.

I have found myself wishing for the sun's protection at night, and I am not entirely certain when it happened. One night, I found light being reflected in gold instead of silver. It was then that Lyhty mentioned to me in broken words in my mind, Onni glow. Looking to the waters of the Oasis, I found myself staring into my own golden face, radiating a light in the middle of the dark abyss of night. I had smiled then, looking at myself, but thinking of a distant face. The God of the Sun pretends not to care for the wishes of the mortals, but he is rather quick to answer the prayers from their heart. To quell the fears in my heart, the Sun had embued me with his light, which I can now carry even after the sunsets below the horizon. A gentle, kind gift for one of many of his followers. He is guarding me carefully, and I am grateful.

Even now, as I walk along the crimson sands of the desert under the moon's glow, I myself am radiating light. Golden, warm, and bright - the light of the sun. It is through pale blue eyes that I spot the patched figure of Midas, who looks to be scouring the ground under the dim light of the stars. I walk forward, Lyhty sleeping easily between my wings, rested beside a strange pouch which holds shards of metal. Metal; the only remanents I held of my beloved mentor, Voltaic. "Good evening, Midas," my voice level and calm as I smile broadly. "Have you lost something?" My eyes wide with the will to help him look, for that is the only reasonable explanation I can draw for someone sifting through the dirt at such an hour.
""

[ I have no idea how this ended up in first person.... :| I only realized it when I was half way through posting. Should be back to normal next post. xD sorry if the perspective changes throw you off. ]
WHAT IS TO GIVE LIGHT MUST ENDURE BURNING.
credits: aquiloniuslupus, hjr-photography, chocomix, and roar-shack-stock @ dA.com
& wolfgangstaudt @ flickr
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Sand pools beneath my hooves, I can feel the swirls circling up my legs until the bulk is high enough for me to peer inside without straining. With every handful of powder a few pieces of gold are gently plucked and placed aside. The thing was that I didn’t actually find the metal by looking at it. The swirling granules looked all the same when picked up and spun around; what made a difference was an interesting ability that had only recently developed—I could feel alloys. Ever since my earth bending magic had awakened, over time I was slowly been able to feel ingots in the ground many meters deep. Whenever gold was close a small part of my soul started to tingle and a soft glow would surround the fleck. Gently I plucked it free and stuck the pieces between my shoulder blades, which were then tucked nicely under the downy feathers that rested there.

I was so attentive on my magic that I didn’t notice a certain tobiano lass approaching until she was nearly upon my senses. Her soft fragrance drifted toward my nostrils, a scent that was most welcomed. I owed this woman a good deal of gratitude; she had helped me not once—but twice. First, with an attempt at healing a tiger so that I could complete my oath, and second when she brought back my son from the point of death. Honeyed gaze rose to behold the familiar daughter of the desert, I blinked in surprise at how radiant she appeared under the night sky. It wasn’t merely a glow, but as if the sun was still high--reflecting off smooth muscle until each corner shimmered.

“Good evening, Midas,” I hold those sky blue eyes for a moment before looking away politely so not to be tempted to gawk at her like a yearling. This lady was blessed by the sun, why shouldn’t she shine as such? “Good evening,” I murmur soft response. "Have you lost something?" Her question whelps a wider smile and a little chuckle from my chest, “Nay friend, I haven’t misplaced anything—I’m hunting for gold.” Knowing the next question, “why?” was coming and wanting to save her some breathe I tact on, “I’ve been practicing with melting the gold to fashion new things—though I haven’t found anything worth making that would prove useful to anyone.”

Image Credits

Hidden Account

onni.</style>

A smile for a smile.

Onni greets it happily, her own eyes turning up slightly with delight as the stallion takes notice of her. In the intensity of whatever search this was, the General had been approached with little care to quiet her steps. The shaman thought as protector of this place, maybe he should be more attentive, but the girl could not resist finding it quite pleasing she had managed to keep her light footing after more than a year of distancing herself from battle. Some habits never die in a warrior, she supposed, not that anyone aside from that peculiar boy Knox knew of her former history with battle.

His golden eyes reflect the light which radiates out from her coat, two beacons in a sea of night. They are widened slightly, as though surprised to see the healer, though Onni hazards a guess that is not why he is shocked. Few had noticed her newly acquired glow, and therefore, it stands to reason Midas would not have known either. His politeness wins out, though, and Onni shyly looks toward the ground about the same time his own eyes turn away. An awkward amount of attention being displayed upon her, such that she is not used to it. A modest creature, Onni is not used to being stared at.

His explanation comes soon enough, and Onni flicks an ear sideways uncertain at the mention of gold hunting. She did not know gold could be preyed upon, though it stands to reason some might seek to collect it. The material shone like the sun whenlight crossed its surface, something Onni admired greatly. "I might be able to help," she says quite sheepishly. A walking lantern, the girl would make the gold flakes glimmer within the crimson dirt as they walked.

The explanation for his activities comes despite the fact that Onni would never question Midas's motives. Her pale face looks surprised for a moment, looking closely at the general, before turning her head back and grasping the strange pouch from between her wings carefully, not wanting to wake the small bird nestled beside it. With a clunk, the shards of metal fall toward the ground, shining in the ethereal light of her body.

"Would you be able to fix this?" she asks, hopeful, her sky eyes wide. "It is a..." What had Voltaic called it? Onni appears to stumble on the word before finally taking a guess. "A sword?" She thinks, tilting her head. "It belonged to my beloved mentor."
""
credits: aquiloniuslupus, hjr-photography, chocomix, and roar-shack-stock @ dA.com
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Her glow certainly wouldn’t hinder my hunt, and perhaps she had spoken truth; such brightness might indeed help part the sand from the flecks. Softly I murmured a simple, “Thanks.” She had already helped me so much I was surprised that Onni would continue to assist, absent me giving anything in return. Most folks were more selfish than that, they always wanted something for themselves. Yet this pure spirit choose to heal, to give without thought toward injury of personal self. I look away, suddenly shamed into a position of the highest respect for the patched warrior that stood before me. Onni was a warrior of the heart, and perhaps the most respected in the clan; aside from the two Sultanas. One day, I wanted to be as kind as she.

Onni listens to my explanation without a sound, and I miss her surprise because my own eyes are turned down respectfully. When she shifts, I glance up instinctively to see why. From the contours of her spine my favorite healer pulls out a crude pouch. Curiously I reach out as she drops it to the sand, scattering the pieces of whateveritwas. After a brief moment and one sniff later I come to the conclusion that this was some sort of metal. I had seen silver before, when earth lord fashioned armor upon my shoulders.

Gently I press my snout against one of the fallen pieces; it shown brightly from the light emitted by my illuminate friend. "Would you be able to fix this?" One ear flicks back, surprised I lift my cranium and study her with rising interest, "It is a...sword” Onni finds the word, I knew it as well. The broken blade laying across the ground was much like lashings on my wings.

"It belonged to my beloved mentor."

Quietly I ponder for a moment, my snout lowers back down to the shards. Gently the folds of my magic wrap around the pieces, sand shifts and makes the sword come alive as I pry each fragment into the shape that it is supposed to be in. Great gaps form after the process is complete, gaps and missing pieces that would have to be repaired and possibly replaced. Traces of iron would have to be melted to help bind the pieces, and then I could infuse the whole creation with golden sheets infused with copper and silver to help seal the sword and make it stronger.

Finally, my mind comes to a conclusion, “I can fix it—but, I am curious Onni…” Lifting a one of the sharpened pieces with the sand I turn it and watch the light bounce off, “What are you going to do with it once it’s made whole again?”

Image Credits

Hidden Account

onni.</style>

I can fix it. A bright smile breaks onto the painted mare's face as the sand hovers the swoard up for Midas in order, showing the smooth curve of the once brilliant katana. Onni remembers well how it followed behind Voltaic like a noble companion, singing sweet sounds into the wind, but now it was crumbled, just like his broken body had been. Even the holy sunfire had not been able to keep piece his figure back together and capture the golden soul that floated softly toward the heavens, resting easily. Then, the mare had seen it as a failure of her abilities as a healer. One thing she had learned in these many months, however, was that maybe it was not her lack of ability, but his lack of drive to live.

Patients, as many as she had seen, had a common trait if they survived. They wanted to live. Even Cera, far weaker physically than the stallion she had studied under, pulled through the critical condition he had been delivered to her in. Voltaic the Samurai's smile had long since faded. His heart had been shaded in the last years of his life. Perhaps this claimed his life instead of the lion Ra. Onni was nothing but a conduit of power, but if they did not want to be saved, they would not live.

Maybe, if she had offered him kind words of encouragement and a smile before the battle, he would have lived. Maybe, if she had not been within the desert already. Maybe, if she had found him after he left Isilme. Maybe, if she had been a better pupil. Maybe.

The smile doesn't fade, though her sky eyes look sad for a brief moment as she looks at the engravings of lightning on the shaft of the thin sword, the hilt a bolt as well. "I am glad," she says happily, thinking that the sword could be returned to its former glory in bright, burnished gold. What are you going to do with it? The healer looks up, smile replaced with a thoughtful frown. She had no more use for it, certainly, no longer poised as a warrior. "I don't know, really," she says honestly. "I feel as though someone will wish to wield the Samurai's blade someday." Smile is replaced, looking toward the dark face of Midas, seeking out the vibrant eyes of gold.

"I will guard it carefully until then. It is the least I can do."
""
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
She seemed pleased by my response, gently I let the piece I had been twirling slide back into its broken position with the rest. The thin threads of sand slowly filtered away and once again became lifeless granules for the moment. Onni answered my question and when she was finished I nodded politely and said with satisfaction, “Come back to me to retrieve it in a few weeks; I should have this weapon completed by the half moon.”

My mind was already beginning to ponder on the amount of gold that would be needed to complete the sword. I was currently practicing a special talent that had been awakened late in Tallsun—it wasn’t perfected though (so I didn’t often use it for anything that was important). My ability to transform things into gold was curious to watch but I was never able to hold the transformation. It was as if I lacked the drive to actually change the object. To make use of such an ability I would have to practice in transforming the very chemical structure of a thing. Perhaps—this was my chance to perfect this new talent that hadn’t really been focused on since the moment it was granted.

I called on my magic again and carefully folded the metal across metal until I had made a neat little stack. The sack was next, after a moment the grand sword was put away and being tucked behind my withers where feathers met flesh. An idea came to me, turning attention to Onni I asked, “Would you like a holding case to put it in—a sheath and perhaps a way of carrying it?”
Image Credits