the Rift

all mixed up in the wash. [o]

Addison Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Have you ever been crowned in your homeland only to have it invaded by a bunch of magic-wielding cheats? Queen certainly has. She felt the blade slip in during the night, straight through her chest, tearing apart everything she holds dear. Still, the faces in her memory will not fade. How hard had she fought just to escape? How hard had her parents fought? How hard had they all fought?

Did any of it ever matter?

Dainty, pristine hooves walk lightly on the loam of an unknown forest. Her spirit is heavy, but her movements are clean. Despite the recent injuries, she moves as if there is no pain. No remorse. No sadness. No mourning. There would be none of that here.

The shadows fall and paint strange shapes upon her hide, the sun which glares through the trees warming the chill of my Queen's corpse. How long would it be until she actually felt the brush of life in her body once more? I am beginning to wonder if the elder sister Addison did not die with Maar. From the cold look emanating from once pure teal eyes, you are left to wonder. Just how long has she been living blind to the colors of the day. How long has she been without the warm touch of a companion. How long has she spent thinking about her family only to put another layer onto the surface of stone that was her face.

How many more layers would she put around her heart?
Did any of them even matter?

Queen does not know that Helovia opens before her, the great trees leading the way into a land filled with the kind she hates. The kind who wield magic instead of pure strength. The kind who held hate in their hearts. The kind that would kill her family. She does not know that the trees lead to a land filled with the ones she would come to love. What awaits her? More battles or reconciliation?

As she stops to pause aside a small creek, her head dipping elegantly toward the surface, posture seemingly relaxed and unaware, though her ears were carefully taking in all of her surroundings, slowly making rounds around the small, dimly lit clearing. A Queen indeed, all toned muscle and beautiful colors. She looks like a diamond washed up in the rough, glittering in the sun. A fine polished gem but careful, boys. This one bites.

Addison</style>
THE FIRE IN YOUR EYES SAYS YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT.</style>

background pattern by webtreats @ flickr.com

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable

It has become apparent to the stallion, perhaps through some shred of introspection, or perhaps by the manner in which even the birds seem to cease singing and take wing upon his arrival, that his social skills are lacking. He is a loner, but no fool; he understands fully that the massive beast with the tree on his back that leaves a trail of snow is not the first choice in which to make a friend. He is aware that he, who strikes before giving his name, is off-putting. Up until recently, however, this has been a blessing.

But suddenly he has found himself in the company of others, and constantly. Life among the herd has forced him to branch out*- to extend the shadow of his boughs and accomodate others. There is never, anymore, a moment of peace. He is assaulted by the expectation that he must contribute and participate often, and it is becoming more and more difficult to find time to himself.

So, as lazy as he is, he chooses this day to wander beyond the borders of the foothills. He moves at a bored and uneven pace, dragging his armored hoof across the shadowed ground and leaving a thick trail where he walks. From behind, carried on the wind by magic and a hymn, his snow begins to fall.

Or at least it should. But when the first flake hits his thin skin, it feels like fire. Hot ash falls where snow would once blanket and comfort him. He begins to run from the trailing, burning specks- begins to lumber through the threshold wood without thought, breaking through low hanging branches and slicing apart the chilled air with the towering mass of his lifeplant. Strange shadows are cast by the stallion who runs on burned heels towards the water ahead. He stops shortly, the few remains of his cursed magic still clinging to his coat and burning holes into the skin as his legs submerge into the water. The cool, threshold stream splashes up around his hocks, barely licking the ashen drops from his skin.

And then he sees her, out of the corner of his eye. A mare he hadn't even registered, now fully formed before him. It is as if she has simply appeared from thin air. His lips part as if to speak, his white eyes try to catch her own. There is nothing he can do to salvage this; he stands there a dripping, hulking warrior far removed from the situation. His teeth are ground tight, his muscles tensed as the pain from the fiery flecks fades away.

He can't force a smile onto his features; try as he might to improve his social skills, he refuses to lie for as foolish a reason as this. He nods, tossing a thin wave of hair as he does so, and looks her squarely in the eyes. Entirely unafraid but awkward as hell, he speaks simply: "Hello."

[[*Shoot me now.]]

Birch.   </style>

Unregistered

I have known Queen for some time, you see. We were playmates until she knocked my teeth out with a swift kick; mother never let me play with her in the arena after that. I have never seen her smile wholeheartedly, though I distinctly remember mixed in with the sight of my own blood the sneer of a smile against patterned lips. Her teal eyes were flashing. So brilliant even in her cold violence and calm exterior.

Now, her head lifts slowly at the approach of a barreling draft. You see, I do not really know what this creature is. Despite her travels, I do not think that Queen does either. Silent, fearless, but heavily defiant, my Queen stands on the edge of the stream even as the larger beast tumbles ungracefully forward on panicked limbs into the water. The small ripples created from her dainty lips are destroyed, replaced instead with violent waves that glimmer in the sunlight above. Cold water splashes in the air, a large droplet landing on Queen's shoulder.

She blinks.

Otherwise, her back hoof cocks, as if to mock the rushed paced of the tree-thing into the water. The scent of burning hair that fills the space between them reaches Queen's nostrils and her lips turn ever-so-slightly downward in disapproval. I cannot be certain, but I notice that her teal eyes are carefully place upon the trees seeming to sprout from the stallion's shoulder. With a shrug of her own shoulders, the mare takes two small steps to bring her hooves into the water, head blatantly peering past the large white face see it more closely. The roots of the tree digging into flesh, moss growing about them.

Her frown deepens.

Hello. Queen tilts her head gracefully back, meeting eyes of white with autumn flecks of amber. Curiosity crosses her face transiently before she backs out of the water with one fluid movement, weight shifting to her back legs and curving her front end back toward the back, pale front legs landing silently on the ground. "Hey," she says, her voice tiny but firm, before starting to step away. "You should watch where you are going. I would not let you go so easily if you had run into me." Oh, Queen. You are an angel of mercy today.

Addison</style>

Adoptable

Her self-confidence and audacity is really quite charming in such a sickening way that it isn't charming it all. Birch notices immediately how his body stiffens at the sound of her arrogant voice. His light hooves embed themselves harshly into riverbed rocks and his muscles tighten and pull at old scars until he is left in a state of aching discomfort. Now that she has spoken and let such foolish words fly forth from her lips, he likes her less. He pictures himself crushing her legs beneath the unyielding silver of his boot, and then, almost gaily, standing triumphantly over her fallen figure. He sees himself beaming with a twisted sort of pride while she lays moaning beneath him.

But no. He will grin and bear it today. His body arches in the opposite manner as does hers; he leans forward to fill the space she left behind. He could crush her in an instant, he thinks. She barely deserves to breath the air that keeps him alive, he thinks. But it is not his place to kill. He is no divine instrument and no meddler in fate. Things will happen as they happen. A mare as obnoxious as she will surely meet her end in a fitting manner some day.

He wonders upon his own end, but only briefly. The silence between them is growing too long, and he must end it swiftly with another poorly formed remark as he attempts to recreate parts of a successful conversation he thinks he may have heard once while partially asleep. He is not entirely certain about that one.

"My apologies. It is good, though, that the threat of it was presented. How else could I have known you've such a fighter's spirit?" He asks in a voice that is a deep, yet saccharine expression of his earnest effort. He is not very good at this, but he tries so very hard. He grunts lowly and angles forward, shaking off some of the stream water as he leaves its confines and moves forth to stand beside her. "If your bite matches your bark, perhaps you could be counted among the ranks of The Grey," he adds with an upwards tilt of his head and a downwards cast of his eyes. Perhaps he is touting some authority, and perhaps this is a foolish idea given that he has none. Perhaps he is just angling to get a better look at her.

Whatever it is, he doubts she will be impressed. Stupid mare.

Birch.   </style>

Unregistered

Oh, well. I am not certain Queen's company appreciated her honesty very much. The look upon his face looks silently sour, though the majority of his mask reads impartial before he takes a step forward. She already moves forward in small steps, outwardly uncaring of his presence. Maybe she really does not care. He certainly is not a match for her, but she really should be more cautious when dealing with those she has never met.

Then again, when has she ever been cautious? I guess the act that passes as arrogance to some from Queen is just indifference and factual information in her mind. Even when we were kids, Queen held her wits about her. I cannot recall a single time I saw her self-image slip from her grasp, which is really quite something in the growing youth. Perhaps that is what is most unnerving about getting to know her. While usually polite, you never get any sense of anxiety from her. All living things get anxious, but you would think something in her brain is turned off. Maybe it is, but Queen does not need to be cautious in most cases.

From the beginning, Addison was a peculiarly self-assured mare. After her endless slew of victories against brutes larger and older than her throughout training, this self-assurance only grew. Why be scared when no one can touch you, right?

That is when she started to get called Queen.

Now, however, this poor tree-stallion has no idea who he is dealing with, but he appears to be trying to shape the conversation into something productive. Queen isn't hearing it, though. One bored expression rolls over as she turns to look at him, teal eyes glinting in the sun as her face ogles him, as if he were speaking some foreign language, brows knit in some bored, sick amusement as a frown rests quietly on her lips. Ranks. There is a moment of bemusement in Queen's eyes before she turns her head back, staring to walk forward to get past the much larger draft to cross over the river, dainty little pale hooves cutting into the bank.

"Not interested. I don't fight for a team." Her voice is quiet yet again but dismissive this time, her face looking forward and not back at him. "I hate being hindered by mammoths like you." That was rather rude, Queen. I know you have more manners than that. Your mother would have chided you for being so abrupt with him. I also think the false, sickly sweet tone his deep voice tried to hold is about to break. Why must you test him?

"What is this place called, branch-boy?" You ask, your beautiful face turning back toward him as you motion toward the forests ahead.

Addison</style>

Adoptable

He can't help it anymore. He is a stallion with little patience, one who grits his teeth and grinds his hooves into the dirt when anger rises within him. The red flecks among white seem to ignite as his lids lift up and more light hits his perceptive eyes. His nostrils flare and he looks down at the mare. Down, down, down with a look of disapproval. He does what he can to contain himself.

He does a piss poor job, but it is good enough for him. For him, it is as good as it is going to get. His body retreats back through the threshold stream and onto the opposite shore. slowly but surely. He stands at a distance from her, pawing at the earth and staining the silver of his boot with mud. She isn't interested, he thinks with rising frustration. She doesn't work on a team.

WELL NEITHER THE FUCK DOES HE. And yet here he is, trying to make friends, trying SO FUCKING HARD to make something normal of himself, something moral of himself. She spits on his efforts. Her spit seeps through his flesh and thins his sap-blood. Her fluid fills his veins with the liquid fire of a foolish equine colt and elicits within him a stern rage. He wants to charge at her, to rear and smash her skull with the solid silver of his boot, to tear the flesh on her pretty little princess' face and leave her bloody.

She calls him branch-boy like he is nothing; tells him he is a mammoth like he is no more than a bothersome child on the battlefield where he does not belong. She is nothing. He is not much, but she is even less. She dances with her future and makes the leading step; she will trip on the feet of fate, Birch assures himself. As he seethes with hatred for her mind and body, for her confidence and incompetence, he takes comfort in the fact that if anyone is to die of foolishness in this wood, it will be she.

"Find your own way, bitch," he spits with a snarling sort of neigh as he begins to turn away from her at last. His voice still holds that familiar trace of honey, his body still moves slowly and measuredly. Ash floats around him as his anger rises and as he takes steps away from her, but this time he does not feel the burn. He will make friends somewhere else, he tells himself. He won't let her stop him, he thinks.

He will never amount to anything better than what he is now, he knows.

[[ Birch out :| ]]

Birch.   </style>

Unregistered

Now, look what you have done, Addison, our company is upset. Your teal eyes graze his figure only to see the rage swelling beneath formerly indifferent white masks. You smile. Your test has been failed, you think, even as the ash begins to form in the air revealing his true nature. Your eyes narrow in hatred, almost as if to reveal the true feelings for this poor, unsuspecting creature. I know why you are upset, Queen, but he does not. To our guest, you are nothing more than a foul-mouthed wench. And he, to you, is nothing more than a monster seeking flesh.

A pair to be reckoned with, I reckon. Still, he stalks off, the floating embers of his rage settling on the peaceful waters your pale hooves navigate across, plucking the stones to keep your hocks well from submerged. I am reminded of the first time you argued with Gluuin. He raised quite a fuss and stomped off into the valley while you remained at the edge of the frozen river, eyes cold as the ice we stood upon. Back then you never looked at me, much like it will be from now on. My eyes, however, never left you.

Even now, you take gentle steps across the river as a gentle sigh escapes your lips. I know what it means: fool. However, in this circumstance, I think you are underestimating the creature of which you speak. We have no idea what these people are like, but for some reason you trudge forward in the direction he came. Vengeance maybe in your heart, but these are not the ones you wish to harm. These are not the ones.

You know it, and so do I.

Addison</style>