the Rift

[PRIVATE] I'm Not Affraid to Sleep Now [Midas]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Let heaven part so you can witness the colors of the sky
Golden child
She could have turned me away, or made a polite excuse to bid us farewell and end it at that. I would have gone about my wet business, and she about hers. Instead, Africa nodded, acknowledging my offer—even seeming pleased that I had moved to extend that invitation. That same willingness was responded to with a delightful smile that was neither overly zest or totally tranquil; could she see the small burst of gratitude filter in? It softened desert hardened features to just relax a little, one could say that I almost looked my age when put even slightly at ease.

Stress could add wear to someone more than time ever dreamed of doing. Rearing three children, fighting for a large family, and maintaining a distant relationship could grow more than just a few white hairs in my black mane—oh, and trying to keep ones sanity while doing all of the above was a game in itself. “Out of the rain and cold we go then.” I replied humorously, turning from her to plow through the mucky mess that was our mushy, squishy home. Confident that Africa would be quick to follow I didn’t bother turning my head to see where she was; the sound of her body flexing and creaking through the slosh would be enough to gauge position.

I focused on the slippery path ahead, keeping a creeping but steady pace—(it wouldn’t have mattered if we went fast or not, considering both of us are already soaked to the bone). My da had taught me ‘that a warrior could just as easily fell himself when in a great hurry during a typhoon,’ he would laugh as if that single sentence was the funniest wisecrack ever uttered, and then he would add, ‘no need for foes when your sprawled out with all four corners in the mud.’ I might have smiled from having just remembered a little fond memory, but Africa spoke up, succeeding to capture my attention yet again. “I was in the Threshold recently.”

One ear swiveled back, I listened carefully for her soft tones over the drizzle. She gave information about the, ‘Assassins.’ Somehow their name was spreading across the country like an unchecked fire; my teeth ground down a little, though the look across my face would have been one of thoughtfulness. I nodded once when she suddenly articulated that her time was spent in the forest—I also couldn’t help but think that Africa was a rather useful soldier, despite her not being one by title. None of my other brethren had come forward with news regarding much of anything, a spare trespasser here and there…but for the most part they remained impassive it seemed—or else didn’t want to share information with their young General.

When the girl had finished I spoke above the rain, still walking on, “Aye, your mind is sharp—this information will be passed on to our Sultana’s; they will decide on how to handle those cut-throats, in the meantime,” my face turned, facing away from the blowing rain. I look back at Africa, finding her gaze and locking it with my own, “I pray dear friend, stay alert when you go out — the wild lands are dangerous and unforgiving.” Even to my ears those words sounded a lot like the braying of an overly concerned hen, “Though, I have no doubt that you will manage what the wild throws your way,” my last statement rang truth—one never learned their true abilities until they were pressed against a wall, and I had no doubt that she would eventually learn hers. Just as Cera would.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Messages In This Thread
I'm Not Affraid to Sleep Now [Midas] - by Africa - 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: I'm Not Affraid to Sleep Now [Midas] - by Midas - 06-01-2013, 11:29 PM