the Rift

[OPEN] A Falling Star
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

As was her way, she wandered from the herd to a secluded place, using the magic of her title to disappear entirely. Only lightly, cloven shaped depressions in the grass gave away her location, easily missed on this cloudy evening. Surrounded by eager faces as she experienced the pain of childbirth was not an event she was looking forward to, so she altered her choices to experience this natural step in life alone. She preferred it that way with her thoughts as her guide and years of evolution to tell her how to perform.

A pressure formed in her hips that she was unable to shake as she walked toward the mountains, hiding in their shadow while mists from the water fall cast a veil on her figure. Now, to wait. Ophelia released the magic from her figure and the moon hit the shards of stone that still clung to her mane and tail, making it sparkle and reflect in the moonlight. A cool, orangemoon breeze ran over her pale skin, making her feel more alive than she felt in a long, long time.

Finally, the ache became too much to bear for standing, and she was tempted to touch the amulet around her neck that the Time God had given her, but she resisted. Pain was another way to experience living, and she would not cry out nor yearn for better comforts. Carefully, she lowered her pregnant form to the grass and closed her eyes, tucking her cloven hooves beneath her. The movement in her sides made her smile. The entity inside her was about to become a member of this world and the heavens, forever in the middle, just like her.

A sharp pain radiated through her gut, and she knew that it was time. Ophelia grit her teeth tightly against the pressure, but she pushed, determined to ensure the precious being a safe passage into life. Every second of startling pain imprinted into her mind, but as soon as the pressure subsided, she knew that every burst of agony was worth the struggle. Phi lifted her shoulders from the ground, craning her elegant neck to glance behind her, trying to see the beautiful gift nature and Time had granted her, and she was not disappointed.

She was a remarkably stocky thing, Phi noticed with a smile. The creature held a mostly pale form, like herself, with cleft toes and mane and stubby tail with dashes of iridescent black. On her top half was the same charcoal with a strange, azure sheen. She was indeed the child of the God of Time and herself, the colors arraying themselves in a beautiful harmony of both of their appearances.

Carefully, Ophelia shifted her weight and gingerly stood, wandering over slowly and gently to press her gray muzzle to the child. With her tongue, she cleaned the wet, scrawny creature, hoping she would dry before the cold became too great. "Happy birthday, Roskuld," she murmured quietly, her chime-like voice delicately touching the winds.

The sun began to rise slowly, replacing stars with a pink sky and dimming the shimmer of her mane and tail. A warmth settled over the Foothills, and she tried to encourage her daughter to stand with a gentle but firm nudge. Perhaps then, she could present the angel of sparks to the rest of the herd; or maybe, since day had risen, they would be able to find her, mists subsiding with the heat of day.

[OOC: Happy birthday, Roskuld! :D Phi pretty much snuck off to give birth, but now it's open! Roskuld first, por favor.]

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

HERE I AM!

I’m not going to be pretentiously philosophical and talk about my time in the womb—because I hardly remember any of that jazz. It was a dark time, a cramped time, and it’s a full blank in my memory banks. So don’t bother asking. I ain’t too mussed with the facts and the reminiscin’ and all that nice stuff. Also--the parts about springing out of my Ma’s vajayjay? You can go ahead and imagine how majestic and precious I must’ve looked soaked to the marrow in all that amniotic fluid. Even in birth I was probably pretty attractive. But once again—I’m not too keen on remembering details like that. I’m not Frankenstein’s Monster (contrary to popular belief) and I don’t fancy thinking myself like that--so I’d like to keep some shred of dignity with me.

I will say, however, that I was born fighting. Even in the first seconds of my life, I found a reason to be pissed. In this case, it was the air. I mean—hey, we’ve all been born before, right? Or at least, we’ve all awakened in the wee hours of morning, reluctant to uncurl ourselves from the tight ball of our own warmth, dreading getting out of our comfort space into the bitter cold that is morning’s bitch-slap into wakefulness. Well, being born is no exception to that—after all, you’re pretty much waking up into the morning of your life, right? So yeah, I was pretty pissed being shoved into all that chill and whatnot. I was positively screaming at the air, believing it would listen to me. Stop that, air! I was probably squealing in my baby-chirps, Stop it! Stop being cold! Quit that mess. The air wouldn’t listen, and I was huffed. Even then, I hated being ignored.

I never stopped moving, filled as I was with an incessant energy. These were the weakest moments of my life—where I should’ve been tired by the slightest warble and effort—but it wasn’t the case with me. Even though I didn’t know what to do with my legs, I was moving them, wiggling them in the grass in my desire for movement. I was still squealing at all the things, in all the places (yeah, sure, I was a loud baby), and my ears flicked here and there, back and forth, while my tiny stub of a tail jerked in tiny jolts of my displeasure with the freezing air. The notion that I was a child of Shock would not come to me for many years. I would live with this energy until my bones turned to dust; I wouldn’t know any other way to live. Oh yeah, and I was still pissed. This is bullshit, I may have said. Why is it so cold? What is this even…?

The very next thing I became aware of in all of the 3 minutes of life was that something was touching me. In those 3 minutes I began to be aware of my own self, and this thing touching me was not of me. Well, my first instinct was to fight with it. Every time it nudged me, I would nudge it back. Everytime it licked the nasty stuff out my fur, I would lick it back. Hah! Take that! And that! Gosh, I was competitive…still am. How dare you touch me!? Well, now I touch you back! Hah! Pretty sucky, isn’t it?? Over and over again, I continued to fight this thing that was not me, and it was pretty great while it lasted.

*"Happy birthday, Roskuld."*

I stopped.

I looked up to the source of that music—in that moment, I became aware of Ma, and that she was a force in the world.

Roskuld…?

Was that my name? I supposed it was (even though I immediately hated it), because the idea of Ma would be stuck forever in my mind, and it could never have been “Roskuld”. Never ”Ophelia”. Never ”Chieftainess of the Foothills.” She was Ma. My Ma.

She was no longer a thing pressing against me—she was Ma, pushing against me, gently encouraging me to copy her and stand on my four feet (I became aware of “feet”). Well, quit that mess! I was going to stand whether she liked it or not! (see how I turned it around on her? I was a treacherous chump like that). My legs weren’t very long for many foals, but for me, they were positively enormous. I wasn’t fazed—and I started the delicate operations of standing posty-hasty.

There was much jerking and twisting and crumbling and other embarrassing stuff, and I’m not going to give you the details of it (the dignity thing). But I’ll say that the sun was well on its way in climbing into the sky when, in my infinite pride and glory, I succeeded in standing in an exaggerated pose, meaning to look somewhat magisterial when in fact I was doing my absolute best to keep my position without letting the wind knock me over with every small, subtle gust. I stared about myself, all self-important in my eyes, and then turned my head to look at Ma, studying her, realizing just how small I was compared to her.

How you like them apples, Ma? I may have thought, the ass-hat within already beginning to blossom.

[Really long birth post is really long. Sorry about that. Go ahead and stifle her with pure Mercenary Love.]

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
Well you don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now I'm a man
Who won't let himself be

It had cooled considerably since the colt's arrival to the Foothills. When he had first come, the sun was at his back almost constantly, warming him, giving him a new light in which to view his world in a way. The warmth of his mother's brother was quick to wane, however, when Tallsun was laid to rest and made way for Orangemoon. The season marked his becoming a yearling, but whenever the colt put his mind to it and really thought about it, he couldn't believe how much had happened to him in his young life.

Hatred and loathing had been a constant in his life, but now, he'd been given a second opportunity. He had nothing to fear in the Foothills, for nobody had ridiculed him thus far for the blood he'd been born with. Often times he found himself wondering what sort of mangled mess he would be, had he not shared the blood of the Basin's Time Mender, d'Artagnan. While he did truly respect his father and the pale nurse, Kou, he knew their love for him was not the same as it was for the rest of their children. With a sigh, he would usually push the memories away and focus on meeting the members of his new home.

Today was no exception. The child of darkness ambled across the plains early that morning, just as the sun had begun to peak over the mountains. He was certain that many would not care to be up at such ungodly hours, but there had to be somebody. Idly he thought of the great waterfall that fell in the northern region of the land; would anybody be there to quench their morning thirst? Deciding that it was at least worth a shot, Mesec moved into a lengthy trot and pointed himself towards the landmark.

As he moved closer, Mesec could clearly make out the sounds of the waterfall, a gentle lulling from this distance. Should he find himself alone, he would drink his fill and simply move on until he found himself in the company of another. He felt childish yearning for the presence of those that accepted him, but such a trivial necessity could not be ignored in the colt's mind.

Rounding a crook of trees, Mesec breathed a sigh of relief when his silver gaze found the sight of the pale mare who had offered this land to him in the first place. It was Ophelia, and the mere sight of her caused a great swelling of happiness within his chest. But before he could call out his presence to her, he spied another, smaller figure standing at her side. It was as pale as Ophelia, but with the strangest azure markings upon her back. Curiously, the yearling began to approach, slowing his pace to an almost hesitant walk. The filly was still wet, but standing; how long had Ophelia been with child? He did not recall her barrel being too rounded during their time in the Steppe.

"Ophelia," he spoke up, dropping his head with dark ears flickering forward at the little filly, "What is her name?" At this, a genuine smile slowly pulled at the colt's lips. "She is beautiful."

please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Nail my soul to the middle of a cross that fills this hole
I never understood the Written Word</style>

She had not questioned her sister about the father of the child she was so obviously carrying, though she wondered on it quite often. The idea that there was foul play involved in the conception of said child was a possibility that Ktulu had mulled over countless times, but if she had been taken advantage of Ophelia would come to her, would she not? Ktulu wasn't so sure, especially because Ophelia had seemed so distant in the time since the invasion. It was like a wedge had been driven between them and Ktulu was unsure of how to fix it. She was unsure of questioning Ophelia, nervous that questions would drive them farther apart and put more strain on their relationship, so Ktulu did the only thing she could do. She watched Ophelia from afar, though being careful to make it not so obvious. Eytan often trailed after her under the guise of wanting to play with his dragon friend, Tinek.

Eytan was the reason Ktulu knew when something was up. Usually he was able to find Ophelia after a few minutes, but today she was no where to be found and that made Ktulu extremely concerned. A nervous, gut instinct, told her that today was probably the day that her sister would be bringing a new life into the Foothills and so Ktulu began to search as well. It was Eytan that stumbled upon Ophelia and her daughter in the grass.

The darker sister broke into a headlong gallop in the direction Eytan instructed her to go, her thundering hooves announcing her presence before her darkened form would be seen. Upon arriving she skidded to a halt and stood breathing heavily, her own swelling sides rising and falling rapidly as she began to catch her breath.

"She's beautiful, Ophelia." Ktulu said raspily moments later. The arrival of another drew Ktulu's attention away from her sister and her offspring to a young winged and horned colt. Before she could even slip into a defensive stance the stallion spoke Ophelia's name. She paid little mind to the colt from then on and, instead, turned to the newborn. Her horned crown lowered and she stared curiously at the young one, a smile softening her usually harsh features. "Hello." She said to the young one. "I'm your Aunt Ktulu, welcome to the world."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

"Mother!" I call after her thundering form as she sails past me, obviously in a hurry. I rarely see mother traveling so fast unless someone is in danger. Instantly, fear boils up in my belly and my large limbs take to plunging forward, carrying me after her... well, after a few moments of me standing dumbstruck, of course.

As such, she is much farther ahead than I, though the sound of her hooves are like thunderclaps that I can follow easily along the way, as well as the flash of a white tail which sails in front of me, illuminating the way through the Foothills to whatever destination she was seeking. It was thrilling, this sudden race against time. Were worry not lining the gut of my belly, I might even be excited to see what lay before us. Instead, dread hangs over my head. I am not sure when I started to be more pessimistic about things, but I think it has something to do with the appearance of a crying Cera in my home screaming for me. I would never want to see my family injured, physically or emotionally, and I have a feeling the only ones who can make Ktulu run this fast belong to my family.

Midas or, the even more likely possibility, Ophelia.

Mother comes to an unexpected, screeching halt. In my surprise, I have to slam on my own brakes, hind legs folding unceremoniously behind me as I try ever so hard not to slide right into my mother's backside. Instead, I stop a few inches short and stand, coming to her side and nudging her shoulder gently with my head before looking forward.

I had been prepared for bloodshed, but not for the blood to have formed into an entirely different being.
I am somewhat aware of my jaw hanging open in shock.
I am not aware enough to close it.

So, I have never had the birds and the bees discussion, but, being a rather bright young colt, I have my theories on how new beings come into the world. To my knowledge, it requires two bodies of opposite gender, or, at least, that is what I have observed. Cera often spoke of Midas as a father, and I of Ktulu as my mother. You are supposed to have two parents, and together Cera and I make this possible. However, looking at the tiny figure by Ophelia and back up to my aunt, I am confused. As far as I know, there is no one Ophelia would consider having a child with. Had I missed so much of my aunt's life?

My jaw finally shuts when I realize I am being rude, mainly because of mother's automatic acceptance of this new filly. I look questioningly at her, and then toward the colt who looked about my age. Then I look toward my aunt "Uh," I say, my mouth feeling numb. "Does this mean she is my family?" I ask, looking hopefully at Ophelia's mismatched eyes. Regardless of my confusion around the situation, I would love having more family.

Art by Krazie!</style>
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The tension that melted from her heart once her child was safe and on the ground felt like the weight of a mountain being lifted. She realized the burden she had carried, the danger she risked, and she vowed that she would never be in such a precarious position with such responsibility again. That was not a vow against future children, but a vow that she would not be a leader with life in her belly. Perhaps her sentiments were not mirrored, but pregnancy did not sit well on her mind. She turned into a strict, impatient and solitary creature like a wolf with a sour attitude and just as much bite.

Furthermore, knowing that she would not be able to fight to defend her own trapped her in a way she had never felt before, and she hated being tethered. But now, staring at the life the Time God had given her, she held no regrets, only promises for the future. Whatever tricks he had played on her in cruelty were worth this moment to see her slender ribs expand and contract as she took her first breath of crisp, clean air, to see that she was alive.

The cries that escaped her lips troubled Ophelia, and she immediately forced her body to stand despite the slight ache that lingered, her muzzle moving to the child to comfort her and clean the fluids from her body. Phi snorted in amusement as her child shoved her back and licked her own face while she tried to clean off her body, knowing at that moment that she was truly be raising the Time God's baby with all of his defiance and temper. She did not mind.

When her child began to wriggle and attempt to stand at her side, she helped by offering her own body as a balance. Every now and then she would push her muzzle nearby as a quick way to reorient her long and spindly legs without toppling completely. But soon enough and in her own way, she stood, and Ophelia quietly watched, a smile of pride crossed her lips. Mesec approached, and she turned her strange, two toned gaze upward, smiling warmly at the boy.

With a gentle nod of her head, she invited him over, considering him to be hers as well. Ophelia found the boy, lost and unwanted in the cold, and it did not matter that he was not raised from her body; he was hers, and she would love him all the same. "Thank you, Mesec," she murmured with a smile. "This is your sister, Roskuld." Then, she dipped her muzzle to her child, nodding to the black boy. "And Roskuld, he is your brother, Mesec." Ophelia was not one to treat her child like a child. She would not insult the filly's intelligence in that way. Instead, she would treat her as an adult, a friend, and a confidant, introducing her in the same way she would introduce two acquaintances.

Ktulu approached soon and she smiled happily at her sister. "Ah, yes, Roskuld. Your aunt Ktulu is my sister, and we are very close. If you need help, and you cannot find me, my sister is the one to ask." Were those words meaningless to her at this time? Could she comprehend the language? Ophelia had been born a strange child with an eidetic memory. So, she remembered everything, able to understand the words her parents told her even before she had fully grasped words. Was Roskuld this way? Or had the Time God protected her from this mind, this curse? She prayed that he did; the child would already have a full future being the daughter of a god.

Hototo's two toned eyes meet hers as she watched the boy nearly tumble into her mother, the two having raced to get here. Ophelia was glad that she had birthed Roskuld on her own. She loved Ktulu, and it was love that drove her a solitary place. Ophelia nodded to Ktulu's son. "Mhm, she is your family. This is your cousin, Roskuld. Have you met Mesec? He is your brother as well. Together we have a full and wonderful family. I expect you two boys to be honorable gentleman and look out for your family, yes?" she said, her gaze dancing between Mesec and Hototo with a serious smile on her lips.

Tinek landed a moment later, close to Hototo and the scaled creature wanted to rub his head across the boy's leg, looking at the alien four legged midget thing his bond-mate had shoved out of her body. He was still a child too, and the entire process of birthing just seemed... horrifying. Still, he was curious, and the dragon child trotted close to the filly, crimson eyes staring up into hers with lips filled with teeth into a smile. Well, one thing was nice. She was shorter than the rest of these massive four legged beasts, and he liked not feeling as delicate as a bird.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

…So as I was saying, I had stood up in an awkward, splay-legged stance, a pose I thought was imposing and majestic instead of wobbly and desperate for balance (which is what it really was). I was too caught up in the thrill of the moment—of being able to stand on my twofour feet and suddenly reach higher, seeming a little more important than how I was just a little while ago—that I hardly gave any credit to Ma, my dear Ma, who was kind and patient enough to help me along when I was going to surely fall on my bubbly ass in baby-embarrassment. I was locked up in the notion that it was me and me alone who had given rise to my body, and that my Ma’s careful, considerate nudges hadn’t helped in anyway. Maybe I was being ungrateful, but what do you want from me? I was a baby. I didn’t know any better.

And that’s another thing. Ma might’ve worried about some “curse” of memory that surely plagued her painful life with all its unique twists, sick with herself that I somehow caught the “curse” from her and that I would remember these tiny tot days with excruciating clarity. Well, Ma, I got news for you. I was an ordinary newborn child, just as airless and clueless and slightly idiotic as any other babe fresh out the wombat. I wouldn’t remember this day of birth, or her words, or what any sort of mumbles she might make about me. I was completely, happily dim-witted; I hope you’re happy with that gift. The gift of a normal child.

(Ha, normal. When will I ever be able to rate myself by such an arbitrary ideal of reason?)

THIS IS ME!

But ho! There were giants about; giants almost as tall as my Ma, shadows that had no shape or identity in the tiny vastness of my empty mind. So my first impulse was to attack, to defend the pale warmth and gentleness of my Ma, and that made sense to me in my limited experience. Yes. I would defend my Ma to death if that’s what needed to be done. And that’s exactly what I set out to do. I ran for the first black shadow I could reach (I know what you’re thinking—I can’t run yet, but I’ll clarify that in a minute) but then my Ma spoke, and she spoke a little too late to stop my attack.

*”…Roskuld, he is your brother, Mesec.”*

Hee-hee. Sorry, Bro.

It was too late to stop me by then; my head was lowered, my wisp of a snort was brave and furious, and I made my way to him. I couldn’t run (obviously) because if I moved my legs individually I would surely fall and be embarrassed forever. Instead of doing all that, I performed some sort of stiff-legged hop-skip, my legs bounding beneath me like a rabbit’s might, or a kangaroo, or something. Anyway, I bounded in this interesting little skipping of mine, all sorts of focused and daring and not giving two shits—before I knew it I was burying the stub of my horn into the knob of the shadow’s left front knee joint, and I was doing my job protecting Ma. It was great.

But then I figured out this was Bro and not an intruder. And the force of my impact with him (if you can even call it that, I was so so tiny) shook me up a little and suddenly I was frightened, a foal’s fear, something I would shed as soon as I could. So I ran away from him (Bro), making my awkwardly-hopping way back to my Ma’s side.

I buried my face into her flank (the part I could actually reach), ashamed of myself, scared of these shadows (there was even more coming by then), scared for Ma, filled with my little filly’s shyness at meeting the whole world for the first time. Because it was a lot bigger than what I realized; I was finally getting some perspective. I peeked over, my two-toned eyes scanning the area; there was Bro, big and black and shaggy haired, and there was a much larger black shadow, standing there with something brown and dirty that looked like fun to play with (this was Auntie I was looking at, Auntie and Bear.) And near that large shadow (Auntie) was something a little smaller, a lot less black, something with gold and blue and big pretty horns and muscles, something I liked looking at that made me feel a little bit calmer and a lot less shy and scared for my Ma. I was looking at Toto. I would know him as Toto.

Big Toto.

Bro.

Auntie.

Bear.

Geez, Ma. There’s so much to learn.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
Well you don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now I'm a man
Who won't let himself be

Mesec did not recognize the ebony and ivory form that came barreling his way next. He knew not that she was Ophelia's beloved twin, her sister, aunt to the youngster that had just been welcomed into the world. He grew somewhat uneasy when her crimson, blood-red eyes landed upon him, but was thankful that she didn't seem to mind his presence and simply looked back to the pale Queen and her newborn heir.

Only when the stranger spoke did he realize the relation between the two, and instantly he recalled her name from his and Ophelia's previous talk. This was her hybrid sister she had spoken so fondly of, and almost immediately he found himself drawn to her. She, like Ophelia, did not look upon him with glaring hatred in her strangely hued eyes. If she ruled alongside Ophelia, then that was good enough for Mesec to trust her.

Not but a few seconds later did another being come crashing in behind her, almost literally. This one was of a dark grullo color, legs striped with the most brilliant bronze color. Mesec nearly turned his head to look back to Ophelia without another thought, but before he could do so, he spied the most curious of features upon the smoky colt. Alas, he bore not only wings at his sides, but a pair of curling horns as well! Mesec's ears snapped forward in attention, and almost subconsciously, he bellowed a soft nicker towards the other yearling.

Of course, the child of darkness knew not that the very colt he was staring at, was also the child of a God. The only thing that mattered in Mesec's mind was that he had found another just like him, and he hoped dearly that they could become friends later on. Had the grullo been picked on like he had? Ridiculed for his unusual appearance? But that couldn't be, certainly not if Ophelia's words spoken in the Steppe had been true. Here in the Foothills, she had promised a safe haven for creatures like him, and it seemed his worries were about to be put to rest yet again.

Mesec's attention was swept away by the wave that was Ophelia's voice, and turning his dark head towards her, he listened. 'My... sister?' He thought idly, looking to the young filly and dropping his head from it's height. Aviya had been the only sister he'd known, and while their relationship had been somewhat of a good one, it was now shattered, just like her horn had been... d'Artagnan had also told him of a younger sister called Nao, but he'd never met her during his time in the Basin, and he was of course oblivious to his newborn brothers.

Ophelia continued, and with each word she spoke, Mesec could feel pride swelling deep within his chest. He knew not what a structured family was like, and had never been given any sort of responsibility, especially one so important as looking after a family. Now, he had been given one to do just that with. While his father was absent and his mother, the Moon, was still very near and dear to him, he was happy to call those gathered family; he would look to Ophelia for guidance as a mother, for his was much too busy to answer his daily questions. He did not know the others at all, but he would look to Ktulu as his aunt, the grullo as his brother, and little Roskuld as his precious sister to love and to cherish.

But before Mesec could open his mouth to utter a single word, he was cut off by the sudden charge of the little filly he now recognized as his little sister. Her actions startled him, nearly sending him backwards in fright, but in the end he merely flinched and braced himself for whatever it was that she was going to do.

And then it came. A ram of her stump-horn into his leg, and that was it. It didn't hurt, and if Mesec could have said so himself, he would say it was cute. Craning his neck to look down upon the newborn, a smile pulled at his dark lips and he watched with amusement as she turned and skipped back to her mother, obviously embarrassed by what she had done. He couldn't wait to spend more time with the filly, but he supposed he should let her get used to her own skin first. Slapping his tail against his hocks, Mesec decided not to comment on the attack and simply looked back to Ophelia, his smile unyielding.

"Of course," he spoke up, "I'll always be here to protect my family!"

please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times