the Rift

[OPEN] A Falling Star

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

…So as I was saying, I had stood up in an awkward, splay-legged stance, a pose I thought was imposing and majestic instead of wobbly and desperate for balance (which is what it really was). I was too caught up in the thrill of the moment—of being able to stand on my twofour feet and suddenly reach higher, seeming a little more important than how I was just a little while ago—that I hardly gave any credit to Ma, my dear Ma, who was kind and patient enough to help me along when I was going to surely fall on my bubbly ass in baby-embarrassment. I was locked up in the notion that it was me and me alone who had given rise to my body, and that my Ma’s careful, considerate nudges hadn’t helped in anyway. Maybe I was being ungrateful, but what do you want from me? I was a baby. I didn’t know any better.

And that’s another thing. Ma might’ve worried about some “curse” of memory that surely plagued her painful life with all its unique twists, sick with herself that I somehow caught the “curse” from her and that I would remember these tiny tot days with excruciating clarity. Well, Ma, I got news for you. I was an ordinary newborn child, just as airless and clueless and slightly idiotic as any other babe fresh out the wombat. I wouldn’t remember this day of birth, or her words, or what any sort of mumbles she might make about me. I was completely, happily dim-witted; I hope you’re happy with that gift. The gift of a normal child.

(Ha, normal. When will I ever be able to rate myself by such an arbitrary ideal of reason?)

THIS IS ME!

But ho! There were giants about; giants almost as tall as my Ma, shadows that had no shape or identity in the tiny vastness of my empty mind. So my first impulse was to attack, to defend the pale warmth and gentleness of my Ma, and that made sense to me in my limited experience. Yes. I would defend my Ma to death if that’s what needed to be done. And that’s exactly what I set out to do. I ran for the first black shadow I could reach (I know what you’re thinking—I can’t run yet, but I’ll clarify that in a minute) but then my Ma spoke, and she spoke a little too late to stop my attack.

*”…Roskuld, he is your brother, Mesec.”*

Hee-hee. Sorry, Bro.

It was too late to stop me by then; my head was lowered, my wisp of a snort was brave and furious, and I made my way to him. I couldn’t run (obviously) because if I moved my legs individually I would surely fall and be embarrassed forever. Instead of doing all that, I performed some sort of stiff-legged hop-skip, my legs bounding beneath me like a rabbit’s might, or a kangaroo, or something. Anyway, I bounded in this interesting little skipping of mine, all sorts of focused and daring and not giving two shits—before I knew it I was burying the stub of my horn into the knob of the shadow’s left front knee joint, and I was doing my job protecting Ma. It was great.

But then I figured out this was Bro and not an intruder. And the force of my impact with him (if you can even call it that, I was so so tiny) shook me up a little and suddenly I was frightened, a foal’s fear, something I would shed as soon as I could. So I ran away from him (Bro), making my awkwardly-hopping way back to my Ma’s side.

I buried my face into her flank (the part I could actually reach), ashamed of myself, scared of these shadows (there was even more coming by then), scared for Ma, filled with my little filly’s shyness at meeting the whole world for the first time. Because it was a lot bigger than what I realized; I was finally getting some perspective. I peeked over, my two-toned eyes scanning the area; there was Bro, big and black and shaggy haired, and there was a much larger black shadow, standing there with something brown and dirty that looked like fun to play with (this was Auntie I was looking at, Auntie and Bear.) And near that large shadow (Auntie) was something a little smaller, a lot less black, something with gold and blue and big pretty horns and muscles, something I liked looking at that made me feel a little bit calmer and a lot less shy and scared for my Ma. I was looking at Toto. I would know him as Toto.

Big Toto.

Bro.

Auntie.

Bear.

Geez, Ma. There’s so much to learn.

Messages In This Thread
A Falling Star - by Ophelia - 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: A Falling Star - by Roskuld - 04-26-2013, 06:20 PM
RE: A Falling Star - by Mesec - 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: A Falling Star - by Ktulu - 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: A Falling Star - by Hototo - 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: A Falling Star - by Ophelia - 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM