the Rift

[OPEN] comets' path we blaze together [levi, aryel]

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

Sometimes, we must all eat, should we not? Even I, preferring the kiss of wind on my wings than grass under my hooves, land and lower my head, teeth clipping methodologically at the grass so sparkling green, and slowly turning yellow. I eat steadily, knowing that soon the emerald feed will turn ugly, dried brown, and will then be buried under snow we will dig for with our hooves. Soon the pangs of hunger will set in, turn our shiny coats to hairy pelts like a rather large, unkempt bear's coat, our muscles will thin and lose toning. This time, I worry. Our herd has grown in numbers, and I fear that the earth will not be able to support our many. It is not wholly my problem, either. There is Sumati the Sinbird and Kri the Resolute, all their advisers as well. I am just a sergeant. I know Kri respects my opinion- as long as I don't become braindead and start talking before thinking, but I somehow doubt that will ever happen to me- but... I'm not sure.

I chew thoughtfully on the grass, half-noticing already it has acquired a vaguely bitter taste tinging the sweetness, and flick my thick tail across my body, shuffling my wings. One positive point to the coming of winter- at long last the trouble flies, midges, and mosquitoes who have been bugging me have dissipated as the air turns colder. In the desert, I never found we had a large problem with bug infestations to begin with. If that has to do with the salty sea nearby, ripening the air with the scent of dead fish, dried seaweed, and rotted logs, or something else entirely, I know not. Perhaps someone else would be aware of the reasonings behind these character, but I, I do not. I gaze out over the red hard-packed sand fringing the grass around the clear, crystal lake; and beyond that I can see the line of the sparkling blue sea. Around me horses talk and chatter, murmur and whisper, groom each other, but I am alone. I don't mind it. Restlessly I shift my weight, half-opening and shutting my wings, grass forgotten beneath me under the warm weight of the sun.

The sun nears the highest reach of the sky, and I shake my head, and begin grazing once more.

"Talk talk talk talk."

ANDROMEDA</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
 Levi</style>

My damp grullo coat glimmered with sweat, despite the chilled air, as I flew back towards the Oasis in the Throat. I had set a personal goal for myself, and that was to start getting myself back in shape and training harder than I ever had before. I wanted to be prepared for the tourney coming up and also invaders, such as Tio, who might chisel their way into the sanded desert in on any random day. I knew I immediately had to start getting myself back into better shape. This meant running faster for longer distances, strengthening my legs, chest and back, and finally teaching myself the control of my magic. I knew these were all challenges, but this was a great determination to help myself become a better Sergeant and trainer myself.

Whenever I thought about the word Sergeant, it always lead me to think about the word spar. The thought of spars brought a smile to my masculine features, rising in the corners of my dark lips. The anxious, but exciting feeling that rose in my bones was what triggered my mind set for the spars. The adrenaline rushes and the wounds were not an ideal part that anyone wanted to have, but it was part of the art. No, I did not consider sparring fighting, but an art. Just a way of settling two opponents in the right direction, learning from the experience, and testing one another’s abilities. Letting out a sigh I knew that I was overworking myself. It wasn’t a bad thing to love my job, was it? Mostly I figured most would want to enjoy their life since it was the only life we all got so why not doing something that was the reason you lived for? I knew that it wasn’t just love though, it was passion!

Her delicate figure caught my silver gaze from the corner of my eye and I instantly flew down to greet her. I had only seen her once before, but I did not know who she was. She acted like she had met before and we never had, even though I could smell that she was a part of the Throat. The moment baffled me for I did not know who she was or what the heck she was talking about. I was at the herd meeting, yes, but I had left briefly after I spoke to patrol the areas of the Throat. I do not remember her ever telling us the names of the guests from the Edge that this mare had known. How did she know this, and I didn’t? It must have been after I left when she found out the information. Maybe it was her background, but whatever it was I was going to find out. Curiosity flew through my thoughts and I wondered how she knew of me, if I didn’t know of her. Maybe the word spread about me or something, but I didn’t know how she knew I was Levi.

It was not the most graceful landing, but I was in a hurry to talk to her. Ruffling my massive wings, I flew a few feet away from her with a thud and slightly off balance I finally landed. My square head angled to watch her. She was a pleasant figure to my silver gaze, with grace and beauty. Quickly I walked in front of her. There you are.” My honey coated tone rang. “I’ve been wanting to talk to you!” I said kindly smiling and in a softer tone. She seemed to know what she was talking about, but I needed to know the answers that were bugging the hell out of me!

"blah blah blah."

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

(Me being late, as usual.)

High above the Dragon's Throat, a solitary mare wheeled and curved in the air. She had been feeling rather...blah, recently. Maybe it was conflict at not entering the tourney. Or maybe it was the period of tension between the Throat and the Basin that seemed to stretch on and on and on without something happening. Either way, a joyflight was in order.

She and Java chased eachother across the sky. The little bat may have been slower than the larger-winged mare, but he was more agile in comparison, and just when she was about to brush him with her muzzle, he would dart off in another direction, forcing her to slow to a stop and turn. Sometimes he would reverse direction and follow her, and the game would start again. They looped and dived and dared eachother to follow, their mental connection allowing them to stay almost perfectly in sync.

It was Aryel's turn again, and the two were beginning to tire. The game was fun, but it wore them out quickly. Deciding one last hurrah was in order, Aryel folded her wings and dove, corkscrewing towards the oasis sparkling below them. Java followed, a speck of brown following a bolt of blue. The wind screamed in her ears, almost knocking her breath out. When the oasis was looming in their vision, she pulled up sharply, head buzzing from the adrenaline rush. She whooped loudly, echoed by Java's squeak, and finally landed when there was solid ground under her instead of water. She hit the ground running and cantered to a stop, Java taking his usual place on her withers. She was breathing hard, but nevertheless felt re-energized How could unicorns ever think horns made them superior? If anything, wings were even more useful.

She turned her head as Levi's familiar scent reached her nostrils, and grinned as she caught sight of him. He was talking to the other Sergeant, Andromeda. They hadn't spoken much, but she seemed to be a pleasant horse. She walked up to them, head bobbing slightly as she walked. "Good afternoon, you two." she said when she reached them. "How is everything?"

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren

I am not long into my solitude before I hear the quiet thuds of hooves crushing the earth's greenery, and my eyes flash upwards as I bite down on the tender grass. Naturally, it is the sergeant Levi, with such a confused and determined expression on his face I may have laughed, if not for the softness and mellowed nature of my heart. Instead, I politely lift my head, eyes placid as they settle upon the dampness of his grullo coat. I wonder what has caused him to break out into such a sweat, as if he had plunged into the lake and leaped out with a cascade of shimmering, glinting water. The air was chilled as well- soon he would catch ill if he was not careful. For not just the sake of himself, but for the health of the herd and the young foals approaching the bitter winter, I would hope he be more careful in the future, but I have no desire to plunge into conversation of this and coddle him with gently scolding words. In any case, I should have faith in his wisdom of this and the sickness he risks. Infections and coughs all too quickly develop into dangerous diseases with the frigid hands of winter.

I tilt my head, a bemused half-smile playing at my lips at his exclamations. No doubts do I have that soon he will have his leap of faith, try to immerse himself into a carefully structured colloquy with me, but I will not reciprocate in the way he most certainly expects me to. For every long, lengthy, and unwieldy sentence he crafts I will have a word, or less, perhaps just a flick of the ear or wrinkle of the muzzle. Of course, he may take this with shock and a feeling of injustice, as if I offer him a cold shoulder, but that's not it all. I simply don't wish to engage myself in the dialogue that is so mournfully cut and woefully sounding, hard and blocky-edged, unlike the fluidity of rippling wings or the curl of a smile.

Before he may dive into this, another approaches, the blue mare who is a welcome sight to my eyes. I respect her, but I am a touch surprised at her refusal to enter the tournament, and I wonder if it is because she worries to lose her rank, rather than just being modest. Yet it's not my place to interrogate Aryel of her private businesses, and so I incline my head eloquently to her, and I utter but a single word with a voice so tame it may hardly be heard. "Good." Perhaps if I were being more open, it could've been a long string of words, built around the worry of war with the Basin and the threat they may eventually- eventually- pose to us. It could do with my curiosity of who will rise to the position of general. Despite the wrongness of my thinking, the cruelty of it, I sincerely hope Levi will not rise to such position, for he seems an individual whose ego would be well-stroked by such a matter, and whoever becomes general does not simply take hold of the military, but must serve as an adviser to the leaders. Preferably a good adviser, a strategic planner rather than one who recklessly rushes into bad ideas, or immediately jumps to making the first battle move.

I shift my warm-eyed gaze to Aryel's small companion, and I do wonder what it would like to have that connection. Would I be willing to seize hold of an egg, tend for the hungry mouth and gnashing teeth, the angry young days of teens and the bitter tears and sweat? I cannot say yes. But many have companions in the Throat, and many seem to be overcome with joy when they first connect to the small creatures. Midas and his phoenix; Aryel and the bat, whom I had noticed wheeling in the sky distantly above; Lyhty and Onni; and many more, not just in the Throat but in all of Helovia.

Gently I put the questions away to the back of my mind, and flick my tail across my flanks, reaching downwards to nibble at the grass a moment longer before lifting my head once more to listen with infinite patience to whatever they desire to talk to me about.

ANDROMEDA</style>

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
 Levi</style>

The blue-grey colored fae had seemed to like being in a land of silence. Her words lost in the thoughts of her mind, almost as though being carried away by the howling winds. Levi considered the possibilities of what she could be thinking in her reserved being. Washing his silver-charmed gaze over her, the muscular grullo smiled politely as she lifted her head to greet him. He was in no rush to talk again what so ever, he wanted his Throat sister to speak. The basking sun warmed his now chilled body. It felt as though icicles grasped at his skin. Levi shook off the thought as he was suddenly intrigued by her silence as the mare still did not answer him or make any attempt to. Her delicate face just stuck in the earthy grass, munching away. Was she mad at him? Disliked him? Ignoring him for a reason he was unaware of? Did he do something to her? Or was she just quiet? The possibilities ran through his scrambling mind as he searched for the best possible explanation.

Thundering hooves corrupted his ears, taking over the soothing sound of the grass being pulled away at its core. Straining his muscular neck, he craned it in the direction of the sound to see who was coming towards the pair. It was none other than the one and only, Aryel. Instantly, Levi’s features appeared brighter than they had before. His sterling gaze searched to find hers almost as though they smiled with his lips to. Letting out a sudden neigh, he got excited that she was coming over. Reaching his charcoal edged muzzle out, he offered to meet with hers in greeting. This was usually how he greeted her, and he couldn’t remember a time that he didn’t greet her like this. Oh, how he loved their friendship, but recently he started wondering if there was something more?

“Aryel!” He called as she neared. Looking towards Java he also smiled made an attempt to greet him as well although he wasn’t sure if Java would remember him. Finally returning his head towards the trio, he listened to what the roaned mare had to say. Ears tipped forwards he listened with ease. “I am doing well, how are you?” Honey toned chords sweetly lingered in the air. This moment ended quickly as he suddenly realized that the other fae had spoken. Hah! He thought suddenly. It was one word, but it was better than nothing. He wanted to make an attempt to talk to her again, but it seemed as though she wanted to keep more reserved. Levi was determined though, he wanted to talk to her and he wanted to know the answers the his questions.

"blah blah blah."

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

Aryel didn't hesitate in returning his nuzzle, always happy to see her friend. The two of them had been close friends for some time now, and there was no horse she more relaxed and open around. They played. They sparred. They patrolled together. He had been the first to greet her in the Dragon's Throat. And when Levi had returned weak and delirious after pursuing Catallatio, she had helped him to the oasis.

She noticed the sweat on his coat and guessed he had been training or running hard. She knew he was entering the tourney, and wished him the best of luck. There was a thin sheen of sweat on her own coat, but not nearly as much as him. It was colder up in the air then down on the sands. "A bit worried about Frostfall coming up," she said in response to his question, "but otherwise fine." Their desert home normally produced enough food to support the herd, although the high heat of Tallsun probably did more damage than the colder season. Still, the sweat sort of gave him an athletic look, not that he wasn't fit already. Recently, she had begun to notice herself taking more interest in his appearance. It didn't make her like him any less. She had just begun to notice that he was a pretty attractive stallion.

She still wasn't sure how she felt about feeling that way.

She then turned her attention to Andromeda, who seemed to be a horse of few words. Not that it bothered her. She herself was probably the bolder and more rash of the three. It would be good to have someone who was more reasonable in their ranks. In response to her simple reply, she nodded. "Ah, good. No big predators, no Basin hornheads," here she shot a grin at Levi, "no striped buckskin idiots threatening to take over with his great big army of one." At least it seemed that Tio had dropped off the radar once and for all. They wouldn't be seeing any more trouble from him.

She did worry about their kidnapped brethren, though. Rumours frequently circulated through the herd, and she had heard several pertaining to the Basin. That Cassiopeia was safe at home again and her captor a prisoner himself, and, shockingly, that Kri had lost her battle to return Athena. She hoped that one wasn't true. Kri didn't lose fights...did she?

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren

I stood stoic and for a moment, a flash of anger interrupted my calm as the two of them greeted each other, and immediately horror festers within me for the sudden emotion was not just simple rage but a flickering sense of jealousy, for their companionship. It was hard to stifle the sudden green-eyed monster, and it was as if I could taste it inside my dry mouth. I wanted to flee the scene, whirl about and leap, take off from the gentle little nudge of friendship. I could not understand why or how this feeling roared up in me. So often I was selfless and giving, understanding each of life's precious moments- should I not cherish the bonds forged through blood and sweat of these two sergeants, my equals in rank? More troubling to I was why I might feel this odd sensation. I thought myself introverted, coming to terms with the elusive balance of the social life and life alone. Dutifully and loyally I stood to my herd, steady as always, a rock in the sea of change that flowed around me. I was consistent. I was renowned for my silent mouth. But that didn't mean I did not...

I find myself turning in circles around my thoughts, and hush the sigh that rises to my sooty lips, wishing I could shake off the maddening feeling of envy, the fierce and unexpected yearning for someone who was close to me, for once, a confidant and accomplice, daring and dashing to balance out my level-headness and cautiousness. My tail swishes in dismay, at my frivolous thoughts of romance and courtship; soon I will wish to become a broodmare and spend my days raising children!

To my great relief the conversation ebbs awry from the delicate feelings that I so bad-temperedly wish to avoid, instead crawling to the great abundance of activity that arose within Helovia, as if the gods, with their recent disappearance, had poked a stick into the ant's nest. Yet even here I somehow find fault within their declarations, communique, and bits of gossip. It is strange how these two have somehow, inexplicitly, been able to push all my buttons in the first proper meet of the three of us, but still I keep my face carefully neutral, having no desire to drive away the two. Perhaps the one and only sentence I have wholeheartedly agreed with was Aryel's statement of her fear of winter. In fact, I dare to open my mouth and agree, just scraping by with the barest minimum of words in the middle of their positively cheery greetings. "As do I." I find it mildly surprising this mare so quickly known for her rashness and sharp little tongue was prepared enough to think ahead to the raw, biting cold of Frostfall. Then again, is it not pressing on all our minds at this time of year as us wild horses eat and feed in greater quantities, to try and fill our thin sides until we very much bulge outwards?

I tamp down the rising frustration as Aryel's voice runs on and on chit-chatting about all manner of things. Still keeping my voice carefully in check, bordering on a touch cool, I input my opinion. "I doubt Catillatio held any threat to us. Putting forth an attack on him would have only, perhaps, driven his fuel to attack." I pause, resisting the urge to add in a skeptical snort. Instead, I smoothly continue (beginning to wonder if I am coming in sounding a touch snobbish while I mean only the best)- "As for the Basiners, I do believe they still hold threat to us in their twisted own ways. I fear that several of ours have gone missing as being held captive by them."

Indeed I am worried; my gut gives a little wretch of fear at the thought of any of the Throat being held so far north. Chances are, they may simply freeze to death, used to the more milder winters of the south; could their coats come in quickly enough to protect them from the freezing chill? A rescue party to head north would border on idiotic, when we were used to warmth and they had the upper advantage of resilience to cold. But there could be no way we could leave them sitting up there, to abandon our very own.

It was a troubling matter.

ANDROMEDA</style>

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread