the Rift

[PRIVATE] 2 bottles of whiskey for the way [Soh]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

Phae had heard that 'others' - ganger-somethings, had been prowling around Helovia. From what the spy had gathered, by stepping outside of a herd boundry, you opened yourself up to having your physical body cloned in some sense, which could then run amuck around the lands. As such, Phae had stayed for the most part, well within the Foothills. She is, and always would be, the only Phaedra. Others had tried - to copy her flirtatious defenses, and some even rivaled her own beauty - but none came close to having the total package. Of that, she was quite certain, especially with the new addition of her magic. She did not fear the competition for top siren amongst the other Helovians, but the idea of a doppel-thing, did worry her somewhat. Even so, she could not be content in the Foothills. It was too...safe. The forest had been full of mystery and suspense, but after winning the Foothills, she found that things had become complacent, and boring. So, regardless of the Threat of a ganger-something, Phae took to the air, headed towards the Foothills, and her only true friend.

Phae relished the feeling of air under her downy wings, as she glided towards the desert. It felt good to be airborn, and even better to get some exercise. For the most part, she had worked off the baby-fat she had accumulated while carrying the twins. In that regard, the curse she was placed under actually helped, for her body gained very little weight during her pregnancy. As the Throat slowly came into view, Phae wondered just how hard it was going to be, to find her snowy-friend. Mentally, she sent an image to Stella, of Sohalia, asking her to keep her sharp eyes on the lookout. With a trill, Stella glided lower somewhat, scanning the orangey-red ground for the brilliant white mare.

As soon as she was within the borderes, Phae heaved a sigh of relief, knowing that at least for now, she was safe from the doppel-things. Spiraling loosely towards the ground, Phae aimed to land near the naturally occuring lake, for the air was slightly cooler from the moisture of the water. Landing with a soft thud, Phae folded her downy wings to her sooty sides, and began the process of seeking out her friend. Slowly, she began to walk to the east of the oasis, while Stella remained in the skies, circling over head, and sending her bonded images of the creatures that she could see from her vantage point.

"Soh, where are you?" The sooty spy mumbled, hoping that perhaps she would stumble upon Note, or someone who might know where she could find Sohalia.

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

Somehow I have found myself friendless in the vast, empty place I call home.

I am sure that I have many friends, but none that I can share my guilt with. None with whom I can discuss my betrayal, my sins, and that would know how to comfort me. My recent travels have left me feeling more like myself than I have in moons, but I am still plagued by my mistakes. Perhaps the feeling would have faded, if I still did not know what I know now. But I do. And I can't undo it, not now. I can only move forward, build a life on the choices I've made. Right or wrong, I must live with myself, and I cannot do that if I am forever moping.

Too bad that's easier said than done.

I have spent much of my time at the wall recently, adding to the base that was provided by the previous Forgers. I am fortunate to have this template to work off of, I know, for although I would like to make some tweaks and changes, their basic concept was sound, and I am grateful for it. I have one apprentice that I am aware of at this point, and that is Cera, son of Midas. He is young, but eager, and he manages to make me smile. He is also useful, more so than I ever would have imagined. That just makes me twice as lucky, I suppose.

It is on the wall that I am when I notice the incoming pegasus. Although intruders to our lands are not necessarily welcomed, I do not view the winged with the same suspicions as I would the horned, knowing that the northern herd has seemed to target us of late. Besides, something about this particular form seems familiar, and I take only a moment to secure the last bit of metal that I was working on before I leap into flight myself. I am not quite quick enough to catch up to the retreating figure, nor do I wish to push myself in my condition, but I reach the lake's edge not long after she, having remained much closer to the ground. My vision soon confirms what I thought to be true as she passed over my head; it is Phaedra.

"Phaedra!" I call, glee and the slightest hint of relief in my voice. I am overjoyed to see her, and I recognize that this is partially because, well, she's the only friend I have that might understand my current predicament. And, after all, it has been so long since we have had the chance to talk, what with her birth and the whole Grey invasion of the Foothills and whatnot. I've missed her, for more reasons than I can name. "I've missed you!" I proceed to inform her, reaching to bump my muzzle against her neck affectionately.

"talk talk talk"

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Deceased

Is this what friendship is? At this point, Phae truly believes that the white mare approaching, is her only real friend. There was Tor, for a time...and the stream of men in her life, but they were no substitute for real, un-complicated-by-sex-friendships. It was almost as though there was a spark within Soh that drew her to the sooty spy in times of need; or perhaps the spark was in Phae? At any length, the white mare was always around when Phae needed her (even times when didn't know it was her that she needed, as in the case of her original quest).

Before Phae could speak, Stella let out a trill from the skies, and dropped swiftly to the ground. Although the little bird was still young, she still very much understood that her bond to Phaedra was in part due to the cooperation of the white mare, in giving her heart to the dusty winged stallion. As Stella's thoughts bled into Phae's mind, a smile crossed her pink muzzle, as she remembered....Remembered meeting Levi on the beach, and then taking to the skies and finding Soh there - Soh who agreed to aid Phae in her quest, before she knew anything else about the sooty mare, other than her name. It seemed like years ago that all that had happened....With a sigh, Phae moved to greet her friend, affectionately allowing the white mare to bump her muzzle against Phae's neck. As she did so, Phae returned the gesture, gently exhaling into Sohalia's soft, if not somewhat dusty, coat. Stella added her own greeting, by flitting around Soh's wings gleefully, extending her own white wings.

"I've missed you too!" Phae gushed; her voice a pleasant mix of flirtation and genuine glee. How long had it been? They had seen each other only very briefly at the beginning of their pregnancy's...Gods, that was ages ago! Phae's sea-green gaze washed over her friends flank, noting how it wasn't quite so thin as it once was. With a chuckle, Phae nudged just behind Soh's shoulder. "Sugar, you need to get out more. Lose those few extra baby-pounds, and get out of all this dust!" Silvery laughter accompanied her words, as she stepped back, looking at Soh with pure adoration in her shimmery gaze. "Don't tell me Note's been making you work ?" She added, with another chuckle.

Image Credits

SOHALIA

There has always been a connection between Phaedra and I, and I suppose it should come as no surprise that she has come now to seek me out. I am lucky that she has done so, really, as I doubt I could be spared from my recent appointment as Forger. There is so much to be done on the wall, not to mention other projects, and our other Forger is mysteriously missing. Well, not so mysteriously, as it turns out - the poor steed is a captive of the Aurora Basin. It surprised me to hear such, as he is a unicorn, and I thought they only disliked other species there, but... well, stranger things, you know.

A trill from above catches my attention and I grin up at the bird soaring down from the skies. I suppose one could say that I have always had a connection with Stella as well as with Phaedra; it was I that assisted Phae in completing her quest for the secretary bird, and I am almost sure that the creature knows as much. After all, from my understanding of bonded pairs, they share thoughts and emotions even closer than lovers. Even if I am mistaken, I very much like to think that Stella's call was a pleased on, and so that is what I shall tell myself, at the very least.

I am thrilled that my touch is received and returned, for there was a time that I felt that I would have been rebuffed if I had attempted such a thing; Stella's antics draw a laugh from me as well. I am altogether much happier than I was only moments ago, before I had known it was Phae. "I've missed you too!" she says, and I feel the warm satisfaction that only a true friend's greeting can bring.

And then, rather suddenly, it disappears. It's not her fault, not really, except it kind of, sort of, is. Her mention of the extra weight - of course I'm fatter, I'm pregnant again! - and then Note leaves me grasping for words. I am sure that my face gives away the emotions roiling beneath the surface, for she has managed to rather quickly unearth every bit of guilt, anguish, and resentment that has been planted within me. I can feel the shocked, rather thunderstruck look on my face for only a moment before I burst into tears. "Oh, Phae-" I choke out roughly between sobs. "I don't - I can't - I'm so - it's all just - so messed up - I -"

I become incoherent as all of the pain washes over me. Impulsively, I rest my head against her neck, trying not to think of it as hiding in her mane (when really, that is what I'm attempting to do). As unwanted as this outburst is, and as long as it seems to drag on, it does eventually begin to subside, and when it does, I feel only a deep exhaustion. The other feelings are there as well, they didn't just disappear - oh, how easy that would be! - but they are calmed, numbed, almost, and I am able to speak once more. I draw back, take a deep breath, and say, "I'm... pregnant." Again.

Before she has a chance to reply, I'm bumbling through my story: "I had twins, Phae, only one of them was... stillborn, and I got really depressed, and Note was always gone being a soldier, and I was trying so hard to keep it together, but then he'd disappeared and I ran into another stallion, and I just... he made me feel so... special, Phae, he made me feel like I was one of a kind, and I... I made such a huge mistake, and I was hoping that nothing would come of it, that I could just... forget, you know, but..." I gesture hopelessly to my ever-so-slightly swollen sides before returning my forlorn gaze to hers.

"I don't know what to do now. I don't know where Note is, I haven't seen him at all in ages, I don't know if the other stallion would even care to know I'm carrying his child. I don't know if I want Note to show up, he's been gone so long. And Skysong, gods, I'm such a horrible mother, Phae." Tears well in my eyes again, but they don't spill. "I just want to keep her safe, but I haven't had nearly enough time to spend with her, not since I was named Forger - that's the dust, by the way -" Not that it really matters where the dust is from at this point. "And so she's been with Rowan most of the time, and I love Rowan and I know Skysong does too, but I'm not there, and I'm her mother, and now I can't even give her the family she deserves since Note's gone, and even if he were here, I'm pregnant with someone else's baby, and... and..." I trail off rather hopelessly, my tale at an end. Maybe she can help me.

I sure hope so.

"talk talk talk"

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased

[I lol'd. Poor Soh.]

As Soh's beaming smile was suddenly replaced with a wash of emotions, Phae's sea-green gaze widened in alarm. She knew her friend had a sensitive heart, but the golden-spy was only kidding. Well, mostly. Kidding in the sense that she didn't mean to hurt Soh's feelings. "Oh sugar-". Just as she was about to console her friend - to let her know that they could go flying together and both get back into shape - the plot thickened.

Pregnant. Oh Gods, would Soh now ask Phae to be pregnant as well, as the palomino had done during their first pregnancy? Stop it. She thought with a mental shake of her head - Focus on Soh. Still, she couldn't help the lingering thoughts of what it would be like to have another foal...Her girls were so different from her, and different from each other. They were both independent in their own ways, and rarely came to her for anything. It was only under Stella's watchful eyes that she knew that they were alright. Sighing, she meant to once again comfort the white mare, and again the plot thickened.

And just kept getting thicker.

Unable to help herself, Phae's gaze widened in alarm, as she felt both ashamed that she had not been there for her friend during the trials of her initial pregnancy, nor through any of these more recent developments. Raising her oddly-spotted wings, Phae wrapped them around Soh's neck, wanted to provide comfort but also to hide her away from the world, which had caused her so much distress. Besides, no one likes to be seen when they are crying. Stillborn? Even Phae, who could easily challenge Soh for worst mother of the year award, felt a pang of sadness at the word. And Note... She couldn't help but feel responsible, having been the one who initially paired the two together. Sighing, Phae lowered her muzzle into Soh's mane, breathing heavily into it, and wishing to take away some of her hurt.

Having never held a steady relationship (Tolio, Tolio where for art thou Tolio?), she wasn't entirely sure what to recommend to her white friend. The idea of seeking out comfort seemed positively natural to her, but obviously Sohalia took her bond with Note, or whatever it was, a little more seriously. And now she was pregnant! For a moment, a smile played on her pink lips, as she thought of the petite and seemingly wholesome mare pressed against her chest. Who would have thought she was even capable of such drama?

"Shh, shhh. It'll be alright Sugar. I'm so sorry to hear about the other foal.." She whispered quietly, wanting to offer her sympathy, but not dwell on the issue too much. "And as for Skysong, a girl her age wouldn't want to be spending all her time with her mama, even if you had it to give to her. She probably hasn't even noticed." She pressed her wings against Soh's neck once again, reassuringly, before pulling back, though leaving her wings raised, to block both of their faces. "Now sugar, this other stallion...does he look like Note at all? Could you.....would Note even be able to tell it wasn't his?" She asked in a low whisper. She wasn't sure if Soh meant for anything to come out of this potential fling, but they might as well know what their options were, before making any decisions.

Image Credits

SOHALIA

I must surely look a mess as I stand before her, tears coursing down my face, covered in dirt from the wall, and ever-so-slightly too fat, just large enough, really, to have to ask if I'm pregnant. To many, I probably just look as though I have let myself go, and who could blame me if I had? It would have been easier, for certain, though any who know me would know it to be untrue. Working on the wall is no easy task - when have I had time to get fat and complacent? But it is something to guard against the pain of losing both my foal and my mate, though I do not know the latter is for certain. Does that make my sins worse, to have done it when he may never come home, when I may never greet him as my love again, when he may have died as a soldier on a battlefield as I found comfort in another steed?

I do not think my thoughts make much sense anymore.

I focus instead on my dear friend's face, finding her emotions much easier to handle than my own. First there is guilt, for surely she thinks that she had offended me, but then it turns to shock. Somehow this is more painful than all the rest - that I, the innocent, naive Sohalia, so worried about her first mating - gods, was that only a few seasons ago? - would be the adulterous whore of the Dragon's Throat, pregnant not even a season after my first foal's death. Oh, how wonderful I must sound, to bring a look like that to the face of a fae known to be a flirt and a tease and all manner of other horrid names - not that I think of her that way, you know, but one does hear stories.

But then I cannot watch anymore, for I have buried my face into her mane. It is easier than seeing the judgment in her eyes, though I know it is placed there by my own imagination. Her words, though soothing, do not particularly help to heal my shattered soul, and against my wishes I find myself thinking of Gaucho's embrace, of how whole I had felt with him, for the first time in ages... no, no, I must not think of that, I must not allow myself to want him! No, it is wrong, it is wrong, it is wrong... My sobs come harder for a moment, but dwindle with the sudden disappearance of Phaedra's nape. I look at her pleadingly, hoping for answers, hoping for release, hoping for anything to get me out of this mess.

"They... (sniffle)... they're both bay, a little difference in... (sniff)... how dark they are, but... oh, what does it even matter, Phaedra, I don't even know if Note is coming back!" I wail, inconsolable. I want so badly to confide in her, to tell her how Gaucho made me feel, both before it happened and during, but I cannot bear to admit the feelings. Admitting them would make them real. And they cannot be real. "I haven't seen him or heard from him and... (sniff)... I don't think anyone else has either, and..." I choke, horror rushing into my gaze. "What if he saw me?! What if that's why he left, what if he left because of me, and now Skysong has no father, and- and-" I fall again into relentless tears.

"talk talk talk"

Deceased

The wheels in Phae's mind clicked and whirred at lightning speed. Although she had never been in quite the same predicament, it wouldn't be the first time she had to devise her way out of an awkward love triangle. As warm tears dried against her sooty breast, the golden girl's face locked in a mask of determination: She would not let her only friend down.

"Now sugar, didn't you just say that no one had seen Note around? And this...this...encounter with Mr. Tall and Dark was recent- Peering around to see Soh's already rounding sides, Phae bit her lip. "-ish. Right? Mmm-mm! Now, Honey, this is all on him. I mean, what were you supposed to think? He left you all alone. Left Skysong all alone. What sort of Daddy is that? What sort of mate does that? Seems to me, you've made the best of a bad situation. And so what if you took a little comfort, when there was some to be had." Shrugging, Phae pulled away, looking down at her friend earnestly now. "I mean, after your other foal..." Shaking her head, she tsk'd softly under her breath. "Why this is his fault, sugar. Not yours."

Her creamy tail flicked around her hocks gently. "All the Throat knows you're with Note. No one is going to question the baby, especially if the real Daddy isn't going to throw any weird colours. Unless..." Large sea-green eyes peered curiously into her Soh's downy face. "Unless...You want to be with Mr. Tall and Dark? I mean in that case...I suppose..." Again she shrugged. "Well that would solve it, too. I s'pose. He got a name, sugar?"

Image Credits

SOHALIA

Phae begins to talk, her gaze determined, and I am suddenly extraordinarily grateful for her friendship. I have always known that I am lucky to call her my friend, but it is times like these that the term is tested. I find myself with friends in all kinds of places, and none of them are more suited for this particular predicament than Phae. And she had shown up just at the right time. Her suggestion, though, to simply let others think it to be Note's child makes me cringe. I am, perhaps, many things, some of them not so good after this strange triangle that I have found myself in, but I am not a liar. What if someone should ask me of Note? What am I supposed to say then? And is Phae right? Is it really Note's fault? No, that cannot be true - I am the one that sought comfort in another, not him. I am the one that betrayed our family. But so did he, a small voice adds in the back of my mind. He left you. He did that.

But if that is the case, then why do I feel so guilty? I listen to Phaedra's words with a small frown on my maw, though my tears have temporarily dried. They have left streaks down my face, small white lines in my now-customary coating of dust. She pauses, and I raise my gaze to meet hers, searching her curious eyes for answers. And then she asks if I would rather be with Gaucho. If it were possible, I would blush; instead, I lower my gaze quickly to hide my confusion and dismay. Do I want to be with him? Do I wish I had chosen differently in my mate? And the bigger question: does he want me? He wasn't exactly a big talker, didn't seem like the type to make a lifelong commitment, and isn't that what I want? "Gaucho," I whisper. And then, louder: "His name is Gaucho."

I suppose it is only right that I seek him out, that I tell him that I am carrying his foal. What will his reaction be? I cannot imagine that he will be overjoyed, but neither do I think he will be unhappy. I am reminded again how little I know of him as I try to imagine his reaction. "He doesn't know," I tell Phae, as though somehow this minute detail is important. It avoids the real question, which is of my feelings for him. Although I would like very much to ignore this particular inquiry, I know that I must give her some semblance of a reply. I trust her, I love her, and she is my friend - she deserves something other than silence. "I don't know how I feel about him," I sigh. "He was there when I needed comfort, but I don't know him. Not like I did Note. And I don't know how he feels about me. If he even remembers..." I shake my head with dismay. Too many questions, too much that I cannot answer. What am I supposed to do?

"talk talk talk"

Deceased

She shouldn't be focusing on it - not when her snow-white friend needed her so badly. But she simply couldn't pull her mind off of it. You know those types of feelings - the ones which implant and root deep within your mind, and force you to actualize their existence, before they will let go? Try as she might to focus on the matter at hand, Phae found that Soh's words had simply pushed her mind to a place that it could not return from, without at least some mention.

"Gaucho?!" The spy snorted, her tone incredulous, as she looked down at the little mare, wide-eyed with admiration and curiosity. "The one who fought for the Foothills? Sugar, I"ve seen him-" Lowered her muzzle lower, Phae's sea-green gaze shot about as her voice lowered to a conspiratorial whisper. "-sugar, he's big. Huge - how'd you - how'd he?" At a loss for words, the sooty mare exhaled sharply. As the inappropriate images of her petite friend and that monster of a beast slowly faded from her mind, a different thought took hold.

Soh didn't agree.

Phae had always been the flirtatious type - first it was for protection, and then slowly as her confidence and abilities grew, it simply became a devious game. But now...had it gone too far? Was she really so skewed away from commitment and genuineness that her suggestions - ones that rang true and practical in her ears - would come across so far-fetched and unthinkable, to another? Sure, Soh was perhaps not the best judge; she was fairly naive in the big scheme of things. Note had been her first, hadn't he? But even so...Shame flooded Phae's belly - a sensation she was not normally accustomed to, and quickly began to dislike. Shifting her weight uneasily, she pushed these thoughts deep down, to focus on Soh.

"So just....don't. Don't bring it up, and if you don't want to, don't lie about it. I mean really, who's going to ask? And if they do...well....ya'll are a family, aren't you?" A dark thought crossed her mind suddenly: what if the foal didn't survive? Wouldn't that solve things? From her perch, Stella cried out sharply, biting Phae's withers as the thought passed into her small bird-mind. Jumping slightly, glad to be rid of that thought, her expression softened once more.

"And I mean, if all goes to hell, you're always welcome with us, sugar." She offered, referencing the Gray.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

"Gaucho go". SssSSsss "So..Gaucho no go? Stay?" ssss. "...What? Gaucho do..what?"

For a man of few words, you must it admit it is sort of amusing to find him frustrated with a creature of even fewer words. Then again, if Mara could speak, do you really think she would? Snakes seem rather fickle, if you ask me. In response, the gun-metal coloured reptile merely projected images of the small white mare - of Gaucho's wings surrounding her - and certain magically derived creatures filling the dark spaces, that his own body did not reach. A pleasurable shiver run down his dark spine at the memory, and the large bay grunted in response. "Gaucho go" He concluded decidedly.

Picking up two small somethings in his mouth (for I won't tell you what yet), Gaucho set off towards the border of the Dragon's Throat, in search of the petite white mare. He had an idea of where she might be - at the wall as usual. Perhaps he would help later - to break stones, or bring them to her, whatever was needed - for now though, he had something else on his simple mind. Galloping across the frigid sands, Gaucho felt an icy sheen of sweat break out across his flanks as he moved. Instinctively, he nestled his dark wings closer to his sides, to retain heat. Hidden in his antlers, Mara squeezed as close as she could to her bonded, sapping away as much heat-energy as she could. Cresting a small hill, Sohalia came into view. Near enough to the wall that he had found her, and yet she was not working. Wall problem? He wondered immediately, as he raced towards her. She was not alone, however, and for an instant, Gaucho considered turning back. However, such social customs were lost on him, and almost immediately he decided to proceed. Barely breaking stride, the massive beast galloped towards Phaedra and Sohalia, halting abruptly a few feet away.

In his mouth, limply hung a rose which was nearly dead. He had found it a day or so ago, and while the frosty air had preserved it for the most part, without water, it had begun to wilt. Dark lines lingered around the outside, and the bright red bloom had lost much of its saturation. Still, he held it as proudly as any boy bringing a girl a flower, would. His stormy gaze, normally so un-emotive and stoic, was attentive, as it had been on that afternoon with Sohalia. There was more than a rose stem in his dark lips though - is it something shiny?

Flaring his peirced-nostrils, Gaucho looked uncertainly from Sohalia to the darker mare, then back to the white mare. With his mouth full, he was unable to do anything than mutter something that sounded roughly like "Soh". Sand settled from where it was abruptly (and perhaps a little rudely) kicked up by the towering stallion. The bright loop and dopey smile fell away, as he slowly registered the tear marks, creased into her dusty visage. His express noticeably changed, from one of anger ( assuming that the sooty mare was the cause of the tears), to a blank noncomprehending, as he realized that it surely wasn't the case, given the feathered wing resting in a comforting position upon Sohalia. Crestfallen, both objects dropped from his mouth, as he gazed dumbly and soundlessly at the two mares. After a painful moment of silence, Gaucho finally offered in a rather hesitant voice for a creature his size: "Soh....sad?"

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

SOHALIA

Perhaps I can blame sleep deprivation for my reaction to Phae's astonishment, for I have not been sleeping well of late. As she stared at me with wonder in her eyes, I could not help but laugh. But unlike most politely amused noises that came from me, this laugh kept going. And going. And going. And then I was positively hooting at the look on her face. Although still riddled with guilt, I could not squash the small sense of pride that had surfaced as a result of my friend's astonishment. "It wasn't as difficult as you might think. He was surprisingly gentle," I informed her as my amusement began to die down. The memory of his touch, pulled forcefully to the forefront of my mind, brought with it a shiver of pleasure, and I cast my gaze downward once more, my shyness returned.

I have heard it said that a good cry can be cleansing, but until this moment I have never understood the truth of this statement. Having cried myself dry, I find myself able to look at the situation in a new light. I still feel as though my actions were wrong - no amount of coercion on Phae's part is going to change that - but I can now place some blame on my former mate's shoulders, for he had left me to face my pain alone. Why should I not move on? Why should I continue to pine over a stallion to whom I clearly meant very little? Perhaps Phae is right, and I am just being silly and naive. It is about time that I grow up, I suppose; I just wish that my lesson had been more easily learnt. I sighed as Phaedra tried again to salvage the situation, shaking my head. "I'm sorry, Phae. I'm being silly and stupid, aren't I? Love... it doesn't really exist the way it does in fairy tales, does it?" The realization is a depressing one, though not entirely unwelcome, for it brings with it a justification of my percieved sins.

"I should tell Gaucho," I announced suddenly. "I don't want to lie, Phae. And you're right - there's not reason I shouldn't allow others to comfort me, since clearly Note did not care to do it himself." I frown. "The hardest part will be explaining to Skysong. She asks about her father, and I have no answers." I sigh again. "And though I thank you for the invitation, my place is here. You are right, Phae. This is my family. It would seem that I only needed reminding." I smiled at her, though my bi-colored gaze still held hints of sadness. It is not easy to be forced into disillusionment, though I like to think that I bear it better than most.

A movement catches the corner of my eye, and I glance around, my auds pricking toward the dark blue moving over the desert. I freeze suddenly, afraid - my words had been bold, and my decision to tell him still stood, but I had not thought that he would come to find me. Why hadn't he, in the weeks since our initial meeting? Why now, when I am all covered in dirt, and my cheeks are stained with tears, and I am fat? "Gaucho," I whisper, my words a warning to Phae in case she hadn't seen him yet. The sight of him fills me with equal parts longing and guilt, the same mixture that has been roiling in my gut since that first day.

He draws closer and halts, and I notice the objects he holds in his mouth. I do not get a chance to look at them closely before my gaze rises to search his face. I am dismayed briefly at the anger I see there, but it fades as the scene registers. I am assaulted with yet another wave of guilt, though this time it is because I have now caused the handsome brute to worry. I could apologize, I suppose, but what for? Instead, he asks simply if I am sad, though not in so many words. My gaze drops to the objects he has dropped. The first is a flower, a tad wilted and perhaps not so brilliant as it once was, but a flower all the same. My gaze leaps back to him, searching for I don't know what, but thrilled nonetheless because he is the first to gift me in such a way. That is, assuming the flower is meant for me.

"Gaucho," I say in greeting, and there is a warmth in my voice that I'm not sure has been there in the past. I try to remember how I spoke to Note, if I sounded pleased when I talked to him, but I cannot seem to recall my tones. "I... I wouldn't say sad," I explain hesitantly. "Confused, maybe. This is Phaedra," I say, gesturing to my sooty friend. "She was helping me, just now." I'm not sure what to say after that, for blurting "I'm pregnant," doesn't quite seem like the best way to tell him. I look from him to Phaedra and back, not wanting to send my friend away, but not wanting to lose the moment with Gaucho - after all, gods know when he will seek me out again, if ever.

"talk talk talk"

Deceased

Phae could only gaze wide-eyed and slightly jealous as her friend laughed and laughed - had she ever laughed like that before? Maybe, she thought with an internal sigh. Maybe with Tolio...a long time ago... Still, it was a good sign to see Soh laughing - sometimes expelling emotions with such force, could make other things seem much clearer. Indeed, it seemed to be doing just that, as her friend denounced her romantic ideals of love and declared she would tell Gaucho.

Before Phae could attempt to council Soh more on explaining the situation to her daughter, and discussing whether or not fairytale love may well exist (she had fallen for a gay stallion, after all. Not the sort of thing that appears in tales that often), her thoughts were rudely interrupted, by a shower of dust. Spinning in a flurry on her haunches to face her would-be assaulter, her rising rage was only calmed by the soft word that Soh had spoken. Gaucho. Snorting, to rid her muzzle of the dust, Phae's sea-green gaze hungrily washed over the stallion, who appeared to have only just crawled out of the primordial soup of creation. "Really?!" Phae whispered out of the corner of her mouth to Soh, never taking her eyes off of the towering stallion, -that, was gentle?!" She simply couldn't believe it; what with the markings, and his sheer size and that collar! Eesh. Still, she couldn't help but feel a tad jealous.

He spoke as if he wasn't used to it, but Sohalia didn't seem to mind. As Soh named her, Phae batted her lengthy lashes his way, flicking her creamy tail. "Pleasure, sugar." Striding between the stallion and Soh, holding herself in her usual flirtatious manner, she casually shot a glance at Soh as she passed between. That look was full of concern, seeming to say should I say?

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

As Sohalia explained, Gaucho returned her words with uncomprehending blank stares. His brows furrowed together, as he tried to make sense of her few words: He had said sad...why would she tell him that she wouldn't say that? Maybe she meant that the other mare was sad? She didn't seem it - instead her voice seemed rather chipper. With a dark rather appraising look, he watched as her lithe form passed between himself and Soh - his gaze lingering upon the slender and graceful lines of her body. She looked similar to the mares where he came from - often they were painted with spots and odd patterns as she was - nothing like the pristine coat of Sohalia.

As she passed, Gaucho dragged his gaze away from her, grunting in response to her greeting. His thoughts had been too distracted trying to interpret Soh's meaning, that he hadn't heard what Soh had named her. pleh-zur-shhh-grrr, he think the spotted mare had said.

Regarding Soh carefully, his stormy gaze searched her face, which seemed to have brighten some. "Soh not sad?" He ventured again, his voice growing less unsure. She did not appear to be injured, and there were no intruders on their borders - maybe it was just dust in her eye that had caused the tear-tracks? Or perhaps simply sweat. Although she was normally working on the wall, it appeared that she was actually getting more and more out of shape, even though the exercise was almost constant. She crafter. Not warrior he reminded himself, it didn't matter if she got fat - she wasn't protecting anyone. Mara took it upon herself to bite Gaucho squarely on the ear for his utter stupidity - although of course he didn't realize. Mara on the hand, who was female herself and had been there on that oh so sweet afternoon, could quite clearly deduce what had happened. With a snort, Gaucho tossed his massive head, causing bits of forelock to - rather handsomely I might add - cascade nearly down to his muzzle. His dark ear fluttered as the sting of her bite subsided somewhat.

Image Credits

SOHALIA

I am vaguely aware of Phaedra's gaze wandering over the brute's muscled body, but then I am doing the same thing myself. And who could blame us? Gaucho towers over me, a towering mass of brawn painted with blood-hued handprints and decorated with bones and snakes and gods know what else. How is it possible that I have found myself so inexorably attracted to him? Me, a naive, tiny creature of pristine ivory and proper manners? Well, they do say opposites attract, but I for one never would have imagined this coupling in my wildest dreams. But there you are; life is a strange thing at times. Phae's whispered exclamation makes my lips quiver as I try unsuccessfully to hide my smile, and I tell myself that there is nothing smug in my expression. It is a lie. If anything, Phae's incredulous response to my confession makes me happier about what I have done.

But when Phae crosses in front of my, batting her lashes in that flirtatious way that she has, I frown slightly. I know that she would never think to hurt me or try to steal anything from me - including Gaucho, not that I can call him mine - but the way that his gaze lingers on her brings back the fear and regret that have plagued me since our little rendezvous. Perhaps true love does not exist, but I do not wish to become just another number in some stallion's scorebook. But Gaucho's gaze returns to me after a moment and Phaedra looks to me as well to be sure I'm alright, and I force the bitter, unnecessary emotion from my mind. "It's alright," I murmur to Phae, forcing a smile onto my maw. "I'll come and see you in the Foothills soon." It is a suggestion more than a dismissal, but surely she can see that Gaucho and I must talk. And that it will most likely be easier in private.

I bump my muzzle against Phae's shoulder and offer another grateful smile, hoping that she can read my affection for her in the simple gesture. Gaucho has asked me a question, and seems bolder now; it crosses my mind that he hasn't the slightest clue how to handle unstable female hormones. Well, I remind myself wryly, you could have guessed that from the beginning. The snake, though, nips at her bonded sharply, drawing a curious glance from me. A tilt of the head and a prick of the ears sends my own mane tumbling from my nape in soft waves. His movements do not go unnoticed, and I note the rather handsome way that his forelock falls with an appreciative smile. "No, Gaucho, I'm not sad." Not now, anyway. "But - can we talk?"

"talk talk talk"

Deceased

Phae can't help but think that if this fabio had found her first, there wouldn't be an awkward conversation to follow, such as the one Sohalia was about to have. There likely wouldn't be any conversation, if she has her way with him. Oh well. Plenty more fish in the sea..

As her friend not-so-subtly suggested that she leave (then again, she could outright ask her to go, and the big giant would probably still be in the dark), a knowing and encouraging smile graced her pink muzzle. "Fairy tales still happen, sugar. Every beast needs a beauty to tame him, after all." She whispered as Sohalia gently nudged her shoulder. As she stepped away, spreading her oddly patterned wings for flight, she called over her shoulder, more loudly this time: "And you better come visit me down there. I'm always coming up here." She laughed teasingly, before leaping into the air, headed back to the foothills.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Once again, Gaucho's eyes clouded with the bitter darkness that a lack of education brings. In his own simple way, he was trying to piece together what she was saying - but it simply was not making sense. Can we talk - she had asked. Looking down upon her, the primitive beast tilted his head inquisitively to the side. Gaucho is talk..Soh talk too?" He offered, wondering why she would ask him to speak, when they already were. Could she not hear him? With a hiss, Mara threatened to bite his ear again, for his stupidity. !!!!! He thought, feeling as though he understand what Mara was trying to imply: He must not be talking clearly.

"HALLO" He basically bellowed, opening his dark lips wide to reveal white and shiny teeth, as he overly pronounced the word. "FOR-" He began, quickly dipping his bulky head to the ground (and nearly hitting hers in the process), to grip the stem of the rose ever so delicately between his teeth. Raising his head with deliberate carefulness, he rose until his gaze again met hers. "-YOU-" But again, poor Gaucho tried to pronounce the word so that she would understand (as if her failing to understand him was the problem), and in doing so dropped the rose from his teeth. Tumbling 17.2h worth to the ground, the impact caused a petal - one already worn and black - to fall off, revealing a brighter center. Crestfallen, and clearly frustrated, Gaucho's ears tilted back as he dipped his head back towards the ground, picking up the flower with more haste, and much less care than before. However, as he once again raised his head back up, he merely grunted, motioning towards her with his outstretched muzzle.

If snakes could roll their eyes (perhaps they can, although I wouldn't want to be close enough to this one to find out, for she is quite poisonous), Mara slithered down from her antler-perch, her silvery-body resting on his broad nose. Smacking him comically on the snout, she wound her tail loosely around the rose, gently pulling it from his mouth. With a black stare, she turned to Sohalia, extending her tail out towards the white mare, holding the flower with more dexterity than Gaucho ever could.

Image Credits

SOHALIA

[OOC | I LOVE MARA. SO MUCH. -dies- Also. Soh + Gaucho = Jane + Tarzan <33333]

I admit, I have a tendency, it would seem, to overestimate just how much Gaucho can understand. It would be almost comical, if not for the knowledge of what I must somehow explain to him. And, of course, I am not one to laugh at another's misfortune, though I am loathe to call it that. Perhaps he is more fortunate than the rest of us, to be exempt from the ponderous conversation of day-to-day life for one such as myself. I ruefully find myself thinking that perhaps I should simply stop talking, and then I would not find myself bothered by those who continuously seem to need something from me. Of course, I would think that I would get lonely if I had no one to talk to. But then, if he had never known what it was like to speak and to understand, then he cannot possibly miss it.

I shake my head to clear such mundane, circular thoughts from my mind just as Gaucho expresses his confusion. "Oh," I say, realizing my mistake. "Yes, I..." He must think that he needs to make himself clearer, for he continues to speak, his voice much louder (in fact, it almost hurts my ears, he is so close and so loud). His head shoots down, and I pull my own cranium back, startled by his proximity, and then watch in dismay as he attempts to present me with the wilted rose, only to drop it from his terrifying height. "Oh," I gasp, wincing at the impact. The petal that detached from the flower reveals a brighter center, and I quickly forget my alarm as I wonder if the entire inside is just as brilliantly colored.

His snake - I don't know her name, for we haven't exactly done much talking, Gaucho and I, and clearly this is for good reason - seems exasperated, and although I appreciate her efforts, I have to resist the urge to shy away from her as she takes the flower from her bonded and offers it much more delicately. Still, she has made no move to harm me, nor do I think Gaucho would allow her to, so I stay still as her tail approaches. And then I am met with a new dilemma: how do I take the rose and still leave my mouth free to speak? A sudden idea springs to mind, a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I have been aching to test my new magic, and I want to preserve this rose against further wear and tear. And so it begins.

I take the flower gently from the snake and lay it on the ground. My motions are slow, taking great care not to cause further harm to the rose. My eyes close briefly - inhale, exhale - and then open. I concentrate on the flower. Ever so slowly, a light sheen begins to grow around the base of the flower, almost looking like a morning's dew. As it grows, it solidifies, leaving a layer of crystal behind. The many facets of the clear stone begin to catch the light, throwing rainbow hues against all three of us, though they are clearest on my ivory pelt. Within moments, the deed is done; the flower is safely encased and preserved behind a glassy layer of rock. I even included a small clasp for the chain that I will make momentarily.

It is easy to find metal when one knows where to look, and so without further ado, I reach with my god-given magic into the earth, searching. It does not take long to find what I am looking for, and though I could not give a name to the metal, I pull it forth from the earth with a certain grace. It melds easily into a long chain, and I slip one end through the clasp on the flower before forging the chain into one long piece. With a satisfied smile, I slide my nose through the loops, then pull my head up, tossing my head until the necklace settles, the rose against my chest. "Thank you," I say, my words extending both to Gaucho for the thought, and to the serpent for her assistance.

I stretch my neck out to bump my muzzle against his, and as I grow closer I inhale his familiar scent. It is nice to relax in the presence of he who had mended my tattered soul, if only for a moment. But all moments must end, and so it does. "I -" Do not know how to begin, how to make him understand. Perhaps speaking as I would to any other will continue to prove fruitless. Perhaps I should address him as he does me. Turning slightly, I extend the wing closest to him upward and out of the way; then, gesturing to my slightly rounded belly, I say, "Foal." A pause, and then, hesitantly. "Yours."

"talk talk talk"

Ascended Helovian

THE STRANDS IN YOUR EYES, THAT COLOUR THEM WONDERFUL
STOP ME - AND STEAL MY BREATH.
</style>

[OBVIOUSLY THIS NEEDED TO BE MADE INTO A TABLE FOR THIS THREAD. Cuteness level OVER 9000. It's in my tracker if you ever want to use it :3]

Were we to call Gaucho complicated would be, I think, incorrect - for as you will soon see, the trappings of his mind are quite easy to piece together. Perhaps it would be best to simply say that for such a barbaric creature, he has a rather odd assortment of gentle passions. Indeed, it is difficult to see how such a primitive beast, who spends his days fighting and protecting, who fails to see the importance of bathing in any regular intervals, and who has a snake as an accessory and companion, could possibly cope with any sort of reassurance or charm, with the situation he is currently presented with.

As Sohalia receives his gift, Gaucho watches with wide, awestruck eyes, as spires of crystal compose themselves around the delicate and dying flower, forever encasing this moment forever. He is even more amazed, as flashes of metal are pulled - apparently without effort by Soh - from the ground, to form a chain. Magic - his mind breathes, completely enamored. For as we all know, it is the very simple and unscientific of us that are most allured by the unexplainable and mysterious. Mara, who is equally impressed, hovers forward - holding onto Gaucho with her tail and using the strength of her serpentine body to keep her level - to inspect this new wondrous babble. Her forked tongue extends, as her dark eyes gaze through the crystal, into the rose preserved below. With a low hiss, she retracts herself, slithering up Gaucho's nose, and wrapping herself once again in his antlers.

As the conversation moves away from the necklace, for a moment, it seems that Gaucho's stormy gaze becomes lost in the downy, and soft feathers of her wing. As she speaks the two words, foal and yours, no look of comprehension flashes across his dark features - it is only his eyes that hungrily fall upon her body, apparently unperturbed by its subtle roundness. After a long moment, one where perhaps Soh would have liked Mara to intervene and snap him out of his manly appraisal of her, his gaze does return to hers. For better or worse, there are no tears of joy in his dark eyes, nor is there a look of disappointment, or anger. There is almost nothing - almost. All that we can say about the emotion conveyed in his dark eyes, to hers, is simply this: He looks upon her, as he did that warm day in the oasis.

Tossing his head, and once again causing his luxuriously long forelock and mane to dance upon his neck, he u-rattled Mara from her cage, obviously sending her mental instructions (for his gaze has shifted comically upwards, as if that would help). Silently, the silver snake winds herself down his neck and forleg to the ground, where the other object has fallen, and laid forgotten up until this point. Winding her body through the gentle chain, Mara moves closer to Sohalia, and without hesitation climbs up her left leg in the same manner from which she dismounted Gaucho. Wrapping her steel-coloured body around Soh's neck, the mamba snake added yet another necklace to the white mares collection - this one while not encased in crystal, was still pretty nonetheless. Her scaly body descended quickly and lithely, and soon the serpent was back in Gaucho's antlers.

With a satisfied snort, obviously having learned his lesson with the rose, Gaucho's unwavering gaze looked proudly down at the amulet, then back to Sohalia. "Gaucho protect Soh." He stated confidently, his voice rich and resonant, and not without a certain kindness. He had told her as much, on their first meeting, that he would protect her. Perhaps now his meaning would be more clear: He wouldn't simply protect her as part of the herd, he would protect her and their foal.

[He's giving her his post-count amulet. I never specified what type it was, so you can decide :3]

Image Credits

SOHALIA

[OOC | THAT TABLE. IT'S SO SEXY. -dies-]

I hold their attention as I work my magic (no pun intended, of course) and the sensation of having all eyes on me is intoxicating. I have never been one to draw attention, and perhaps I would be uncomfortable if it were anyone else, but having had relations with Gaucho such as we have had, I suppose there is very little that I ought to feel embarrassed about. The chain hangs lightly about my nape, the crystalline flower resting gently against my chest, its pressure a gentle reminder of the barbaric steed that had claimed me, it would seem, as his own. Perhaps I ought to be offended or afraid that our affections resulted from ownership more than love, but I find that it is almost a thrilling prospect. I do not have to question him in this regard; he will not leave me unprotected, if I am his "property," for lack of a better word. He will not abandon me like Note. Will he?

Don't get me wrong - I do not believe that Gaucho views me as property. I just do not believe that he understands affection in the same terms as most. I simply have no other way to describe his feelings, for he cannot explain them to me himself, and I must decipher his looks and touches and scant vocabulary as well as I can.

His snake seems to be just as interested as her bondmate, and I hold still as she stretches to examine its form. I still have a healthy respect, if not fear, for the creature, but I refuse to show weakness before one so strong. I am not weak, although he surely views me as one in need of protection; my strengths simply lie in different areas than his. Speech is certainly not one of the commonalities that we share (seemingly the only similarity between us is mutual desire for one another), and as I make a sad attempt to tell him my news, his dark gaze roves uncomprehendingly over my body, conveying once again only that inexplicable claimance and that unfailing desire. Is this what I am blessed with, in place of true love? Would I even want to go back to what I once believed to be real? Had I a choice, would I take Gaucho and his savagery or Note and his propriety?

Perhaps I am afraid to admit my true answer, even to myself.

He tosses his head, unsettling his companion with a rather amusing physical show; his banner cascades handsomely along his nape and I sigh, slightly awed. It distracts me for a moment, but I am quickly brought back to reality by the sensation of something slithering up my left leg. I freeze, a squeak of terror caught in my throat, muscles tensed, before I realize that it is only his silver snake. I force myself to relax as it drapes something else around my neck, though my heart beats rather loudly in my chest. I wonder if they can hear it, and I curse my fear. She is gone as quickly as she arrived, though, and I find that I can begin to understand the appeal of such a companion. And she fits so perfectly with his image - the bone in his nostrils, the dreamcatcher in his antlers, the bloody prints decorating his body. It all fits together - he fits together. I wonder where I fit.

"Gaucho protect Soh," he says, looking fairly pleased with himself, and I smile uncertainly. It is his job to protect me, after all, that is his rank. "Thank you," I tell him. But what am I thanking him for? His words? The amulet? His protection? Is it so bad to wish that he wants to protect me more than everyone else? That he understands that we have created another being together that will also need his protection? Something in his voice makes me think that he knows, that somehow magically he understands, that he is promising all that I wish from him.

But it could just be wishful thinking.

"talk talk talk"

Ascended Helovian

THE STRANDS IN YOUR EYES, THAT COLOUR THEM WONDERFUL
STOP ME - AND STEAL MY BREATH.
</style>

His eyes wander distractedly to the gentle protrusion of her sides. He looks without emotion, and it is unclear just what his primitive mind truly makes of the situation. What sort of father would Gaucho be? There is no precedent to go by, for none of Gaucho's other offspring are in Helovia, and Sohalia is the first mare that he had fully been with, if youknowwhatImean, here as well. Still, he doesn't look displeased by the notion, but there another, more obvious emotion in his gaze that has grown, as he looks at her. Desire. His nostrils quiver as he takes a confident step towards her, his pierced nose stretched towards her round belly. Gently, he moves to brush her flank with his muzzle, breathing in her scent, and experiencing the firmness of her outstretched sides. However this gentleness doesn't last long, as soon his muzzle works its way upwards towards her wither, nipping slightly, as grunts of pleasure escape his dark lips.

His wings out stretch slightly, as he stands perpendicular to her. Raising one of his massive black wings up, he lightly drapes it over her back, as if holding her against him. The spikes of his collar have been retracted, and thus pose no threat as his muscular chest presses against her much smaller, and more delicate frame. His thick neck crests, as his muzzle again, this time with a more insistent feel, caresses along the length of her neck, and shoulder.

"Soh pretty" He grunts; Is it So pretty or Soh pretty? Either way, the meanings are synonymous. Pregnant or not, the primal warrior appears just as taken by the petite white mare now, as on the day they met.

Image Credits