the Rift

[OPEN] It's gettin hot out here

Sinuhe Posts: 38
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 3
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

I move with my long strides in a quick, elegant canter. I held my muzzle to my chest, my neck creased from the curving bend. My ears were flicker forward, twitching every so often at a distant sound. By the side of me a river rushed past so that it was almost racing with me. With a mischievous grin I lengthen my stride, covering more ground quicker and over taking my 'opponent' by a long way.

After a while of fast galloping with my mane and tail streaming out behind me I came to a skidding halt, kicking up soil all over the place. With soil still flying about I throw myself up onto my back legs, pushing up on my front legs into a rear. My head tosses about in the wind, my eyes were shut tight to avoid having mane poke into them and soil getting into them. I kept my balance for a while before I was force to come back down. My hooves slam on the soil, my eyes reopening to revile vivid blue orbs which were glimmering with joy. It was a pretty hot day, considering it was Orangemoon, a strange warmth actually but one that I was enjoying greatly.

It had been the first time I had strayed from the Throat. I felt like I needed to get out more, to explore the rest of Helovia. I enjoyed just wondering around for a while, hours, weeks, days, It didn't bother me. I was curious to see what else was out here in the world. Yes I was part of the Throat herd but I was allowed to wonder around. That was how I ended up in a field of thistles. They were painful to walk though but that didn't stop me from continuing deeper here.

Sighing I allowed my body to cool down slightly. Blue gems searched round, wondering if anyone had seen me. I hoped there was no one else around, there was nothing worse then testing your own speed when someone else, you didn't know probably, was there watching you who could either be thinking 'Fittyy' or 'Show offf'. I would prefer to be considered as neither. I had been in the situation many times before though, and some werido stallion had been watching and with there cocky attitude they had come along and tried to pull me in. Gosh, how it annoyed me.

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

Life still wasn't looking up for me. Things were just getting stranger and stranger. I knew I was famous back home (it kind of comes with being a Prince), too, but these were not the lands of my family — so why did I keep meeting those who knew my name here, too? And why could none of them help me? Mauja they called me and Mauja I am, but I don't know their faces, and no one knows how to get me home. So why do they know of me, if they don't know of my lands? Of the way to glory?

I sigh, and lower my head to lip at the grasses. I seriously should stop doing it. I filled my waking hours with eating, this grass which was ashen in my mouth, and dreaming of home, of Morgan, of mother and father and the court, and ate more. And more. And more. I didn't dare look at my reflection in the tinkling river anymore, afraid that it'd show in the curve of my barrel.

It probably did.

I sigh, again, and swallow the glob of green in my mouth, before movement pulls at my attention. My head snaps up, peering out across the drying, fading thistles (my handsome coat is starting to grow rugged, and I hate it), and then I see her. Surely she's a god-sent warrior to get me out of here, for why else would she be so beautiful?

"Hey!" I croak, setting off towards her. "Over here!" Even with a few pounds I should lose I am graceful, my gait smooth and flowing; for a moment I am tempted to run, as she had, to feel the wind through my mane, but in the next moment I think better of it. Princes didn't do that; Princes participated in artful dances and dangerous duels. I snort to myself and keep trotting, the dying vegetation bowing before my pale knees. The nights were getting colder and I hated that, too, but what am I to do about it? I can't find the way back.

Bright-eyed, I arrive next to the pale beauty, and offer her a dip of my head. It would not do for me to be rude. "I- err..." And suddenly I find my tongue failing me, as I peer at her, and a frown creases my face. What if she wasn't here to find me..? "Good day," I finish lamely, feeling quite un-princely.

Mauja the Frostheart</style>
            Bleeding</style>

image by slalit @ flickr.com
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

My body was cooling at a steady pace, I was only glad I hadn't go on cantering for long or I would have been sure to work up a sweat, and then I would of looked a right mess (not that I was to bothered about my appearance I just didn't like to be sweaty). Who did? My ice blue gems slowly look round, first across the other side on the river then to the other side of me where I spot a stallion trotting up curiously.

He was, to be fair, a bit rounder then I was and his coat a little scuffed. He was a sheer white with black spots, like ink droplets, scattered all over his grey pelt. His icy blue eyes almost reminded me of my own eyes, except my were not so lost looking at his. I await him patiently. He moved with a smooth gait though the thistles, despite his round figure at a steady trot. "Hey!" His voice called out. My ears flicker forward in response and I take a few small strides of a collected trot to save him the trouble.

"I- err..." His head dips. I smile kindly at the stallion, glad I had finally met a unicorn or stallion who wasn't cocky or racist, as it seemed anyway. I wait for him to continue, not wanting to interrupt and after a few seconds his sentence changes corse. "Good day," I laugh lightly then quickly respond to him. "And good day to you to," I say, also with a slight dip of my head. I am Sinuhe, and who might you be?" A lone breeze pushes past my head, brushing my mane back so that I am forced to toss my head up slightly to stop the long locks from tickling behind my legs.

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

Oh look at that. She's neither keeling over at having the Royal Prince come up to her, nor is she calling out my name — I don't know whether to be annoyed or relieved that she's so.. well, I don't quite know what to describe it as! I'd call her "normal", but it's not normal to me. It's odd. Servants would bow to me and mutter something nice, and then melt away into the shadows; the courtiers would fawn over me and.. really, the only ones I can think of who stood their ground in such a way, drifting a little closer like they had a right to come uninvited, to meet me as an equal, were the foreign dignitaries who came visiting.

Shit. What if she's a princess? And I'm fat now of all things. That wasn't so great.

I flounder in my search for words, trying to figure out what to do — she has a pretty smile, offering it to me, and I feel a slight one tug at my lips as I finally greet her properly. I don't know whether to be ashamed or amused that she laughs at me, though, and settle for a mildly quizzical look. I was not.. used to this. Back home, no one would've dared to laugh at me. In my presence. Even if I had been fat. But she's pretty and I let it slide, and in the next moment she mercilessly crushes all my hopes under her dainty feet. She doesn't know who I am. She's not sent out to find me, and bring me home. She's just a mare on a meadow and she laughed at me. I feel my mood plummet like a heavy rock in water, promptly forgetting her name as she became nothing but just a mare. A pretty, but ultimately useless, mare.

"Prince Mauja," I mutter under my breath, looking aside for a moment. Dead, dead, dying, drying up; the river tinkled nearby but even the vegetation seemed to know the nights were growing colder, for they were all withering. I'm not used to this, it's depressing, and I glare sullenly at the nearby corpse of a thistle. At least I had food.. but when it all died.. what then would I eat? My jaws work soundlessly for a moment before I heave a sigh. "I don't know where I am. I don't know the way back home." And that was almost whining, and even though I felt like whining her ears off, it just didn't do! Father would hand my ass to me if he heard... I scowl, and straighten up a bit; Mother would harass me for slouching. And Morgan.. well, good thing Morgan had stopped caring about my moods. "It's just frustrating," I say, cautiously, trying to amend what damage I might've done to her image of me.

[ believe me Roo, the real Mauja is much less of an ass! XD ]

Bleeding</style>

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

He seemed somewhat...puzzled but it wasn't long before the prince reviled why he might be.

I didn't doubt he was a prince (well, maybe a little) but he didn't really seem to prince type. You would of thought a prince to maybe have a few less pounds on him and maybe to not lose his tongue at the last second of speaking to a girl. Unless girls was the one thing Mauja couldn't handle. He had muttered his name though. Maybe, as well as being puzzled, he was annoyed at something? And, despite his hurry here, was suddenly not in the mood for talking?

He sighed deeply during a pause in his words. He then whined. His voice was like chalk on a blackboard. "I don't know where I am. I don't know the way back home." Was I really standing in the presence of a so called prince who was whining because he didn't know the way back to his home? Did he want his mummy or something?! I was tempted to roll my eyes dramatically so that he could purposely see but I resist the urge to do so. Instead I look at him with slightly concerned eyes.

Before speaking I draw in a long, deep breath. "Where do you come from?" As I speak a new possibility pops in my head. What if prince Mauja was really just some old, mad stallion? I brush away the thoughts though, not wanting to think the worse of him, not unless he proves himself as that anyway. "Do you have any idea of which way to go?" I slowly look around. In one direction, past the river, thistles grew into the distance. In the other direction, it was exactly the same. Well, that is going to make it a whole lot easier isn't it?

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

I would've deserved an eye-roll for that, honestly. I'm not sure if I'm ashamed of the fact that I tend to whine about things and except someone else to fix them for me — I mean, it works most of the time. I guess I'm just so content with having someone serve me life on a plate that I'm unwilling to change. And honestly, why should I change? It's not like it's hurtful to anyone that I'm lazy and inept at everything except flirting with court ladies. And I was starting to realize that I could only flirt with court ladies, because all the other, low-born ladies were just.. weird, and didn't fawn over me. Or they just gave me weird looks when I said pretty things about them, so I'd kind of given up on entertainment too...

I'm so stuck in my rather sullen, annoyed thoughts that I completely miss her deep breath. Oblivious, unaware, that maybe she is not as receptive to my ways as I think she is; to her, I'm just a stranger, dumping some of my problems in her lap. To me, I'm a prince, justified in trying to find someone else who can help me without not really trying myself.

Though if I'm stuck here much longer, maybe I'll start giving it an honest effort.

She asks where I am from and I almost snort, before remembering that no one here had a clue. Aside from that other "Mauja" some took me for they were all ignorant of my origin, and the mighty forest kingdom I hailed from. I try to amuse myself by thinking what Morgan would say if he knew they didn't know — some quirky, acid remark no doubt, but I can't come up with anyone myself and thinking of Morgan just brings back that bone-deep, fierce ache.. that longing... My voice is genuinely sad when I respond, "Skogamark". There's just that note of desperation, of something you held very dear but lost for more than a few hours — a loss that has settled deeper than a mere bruise. Sometimes I even missed my lectures and strenuous duties, if only because it would mean I was home.

Then she asks if I know where to go, and look around, and this time I do snort. Did she think I was stupid, or what? It's not like I walked into this blasted meadow and then was so silly I couldn't retrace my own steps. "No," I respond, perhaps a little too crispy, but it's something I've gone over in my head a million times, and for some common mutt to assume I just took a stroll and forgot where I was is just.. insulting. "I fell asleep at home, like usual, and woke up in this place." I wave my head in the direction of the river, though I'm not sure anymore if it was around here I actually woke up or not — I just knew that it had been by one of the small rivers running through here. And truthfully, I didn't want to properly remember. "So I'm kind of at a loss for where to even start looking."

Bleeding</style>

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

When I came out here, I had expected to find someone. What I didn't expect to find was some overweight prince who was whining about being lost. Well, I suppose that's what you would expect when he had been treated like a baby all his life. This prince was starting to annoy me, a hell of a lot. Now days, I didn't consider myself a princess as I used to, but in the days I did consider myself one I made sure to exercise and come across in a less whiny voice.

"Skogamark" I had never heard of the place, unless I had just forgotten it in one of the long lists of my fathers lectures on the lands he decided to give me. In fact, I could barely remember anything he taught me about crap like that. He snorted, my brow raised. His voice came again, more crisp this time as if I was being a complete idiot. "No," He came bluntly. "I fell asleep at home, like usual, and woke up in this place." I could imagine him falling asleep a lot actually.

But how did you fall to sleep, and end up somewhere else? Was this stallion just plain stupid? Did he think some pretty girls carried him of here then ran away giggling childishly? I think, as his title, Mauja should be called 'Prince Mauja the stupid, if he could ever get a title anyway. "So I'm kind of at a loss for where to even start looking."

My temper was growing shorter and shorter. Right now I wanted to beat some sense into his thick head. He had been treated like a baby, it seemed, all his life, it was the only explanation for his whining voice and petty behavior. I had never acted like that when I was by the side of the throne, awaiting my turn to take charge, and I never acted like that now, knowing that I will never get my turn in the game of ruling.

I roll my eyes then look him dead in his own ice blues, the meeting of the two ice blue pairs cold and blunt. My voice changes tone, turning to the voice I used as a princess to talk to those lower than me. "Well, Prince Mauja, how do you think you got here in your sleep? Maybe the court ladies carried you, then ran away giggling, hmm?" I say sarcastically. "What sort of Prince get's lost? Not even I got lost before, even when I sneaked out the back into the unknown." I snort, then sigh deeply. Memories of my father, from beginning to his last moments, came flooding back.

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

She's not being overly helpful. I'm quite disappointed actually; for all her brilliance in the light she's just a stranger. An ignorant stranger. For a moment I was busy looking away, out over the field and the reminder of a change I was not familiar with, but when I look back, it is to find her icy eyes glued to mine. Our gazes snap locked and I find myself at a loss when faced with this brazen behavior; I snort, and raise my head a little higher. Who does she think she is, to stare at me in such a way? My nostrils widen and my tail twitches in annoyance, but I do not take my eyes off hers. This was no way to treat me.

She speaks, her voice dripping sarcasm, and I think her coat looks cold and uninviting now, not glowing, shimmering; her eyes are hard and mine harden, too, to try not let my emotions show. What does she think I am? Stupid? Or ashamed, so I'd make up some tall tale to explain why I am here and unable to go home? It's quite hurtful, actually, that she'll say such things, as if it's what I think — if I had any goddamn idea I wouldn't be here, would I? My ears fall back, and I know that I'm lousy at hiding my feelings; she'll see that it's saddened me, but at the same time, it has angered me. Didn't I just tell her I woke up here?

"Fine," I spit, goading my anger to take over. Sadness was too weak, too shameful, and I didn't want to burst into tears here and blubber about missing Father and Mother and my sisters and Morgan. Damn, I miss Morgan a lot more than I want to admit.. more than I'll ever let him know, anyway. "You're obviously deaf, as I told you, I have no idea. You're not being very helpful." And I glare some, for good measure, my pale eyes smoldering with haughty, wounded pride. Hadn't I been perfectly clear on the circumstances of my arrival? I sniff, knowing better than to waste time on idiots, but yet I am loathe to just leave — what if she does know something..?

"So do you know anything useful or are you just going to act like a jerk because you don't?" I am poised on the edge of walking away, my head high as I glare down at her from my taller height, tail lashing against my hocks in annoyance. What idiots you could find out in the world.

Bleeding</style>

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

Ugh, stallions! They could be so aggravating at times. I had met my fair share of them over the years, princes and 'normal' ones alike. The princes, they normally had respect and talked without a babyish tone in there voice. The ones not of royal blood would sometimes have respect, would sometimes talk with a clearer, posher voice, would sometimes flirt, would brag, but never, never did they take up that tone, or at least, not with me.

Both our eyes harden, almost glaring at each other and his angry voice spits from his maw. "You're obviously deaf, as I told you, I have no idea. You're not being very helpful." I snort, my ears falling back against my neck. He was taller then me, but that didn't stop me from raising my head slightly to meet his sniffing face. Was he really that much of a baby that he wanted to cry or something? Or did the prince have hay fever?

"So do you know anything useful or are you just going to act like a jerk because you don't?" I stamp my hoof. That was it. I would not be talked to like this by this fat git. He may be a prince but I am a princess, and he had no right to talk down to me. "Listen here, princey, you may be a prince but your not the only one here of royal blood," I hold my head high, flicking my mane out my eyes in a pretty manner, my voice calming a little. "I am a princess, but some of us don't feel the need to shout it out." I pause, my voice becoming darker. "And I have met many princes in my life, but none such as you."

No one else knew around here. I didn't blurt it out to just anyone. I didn't want anyone to know, unlike mr cocky over there. My tail lashes violently against the back on my legs but I could feel my temper cooling down gradually. I regather myself, collecting my anger and frustration, rolling it in a ball, then chucking it away so that it is replaced with calmness and coolness. "So? Have anything to say?"

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

I don't even know why I'm still here, putting myself through this most subjective torture. What a snotty girl this was, even laying her ears flat against her neck in front of me! If only I could hand her insolent ass to one of the guards... but no, they're not here, or rather, we're not there. I mirror her, flattening my black-rimmed ears and keeping my smoldering glare steady. I could feel it, something coming out, words I knew I wouldn't want to hear just because they were stupid and they'd probably prod that place in me I shied away from.. but most of all, they wouldn't help me come home, because she wasn't going to help. It was obvious, even to me, and frankly I didn't want her help, so I wasn't going to try and lure her in with rewards and riches either. To come home, because she had saved me — the mere thought makes my stomach turn. I'd rather be stuck here a few days longer than go through that.

And oh, look at that, I was right. I didn't want, or need, to hear all this. She claims to be a princess and I scowl at her. Yeah, right, as if — if she was, she'd be a whole lot more mannered and willing to help me, maybe even dream of my hoof in marriage. Fat chance she's royal. Nope. I decide she's just lying, maybe jealous of my position, and I'm sure she's not met any real princes either. I just can't believe she would've, or if she did, none of them would've liked her anyway. She's too loud-mouthed, too arrogant, and if she had been a princess surely her father would've put her in her place, her proper place. Or maybe that was why she was out here? Because she wasn't good enough to be a princess, so she got kicked out of her kingdom, boo hoo. Yeah. If she'll insist on being a princess again, that's how it'll be — she got thrown out. I can almost see it in my head.

And then she's done, asking if I have anything to say, and I keep scowling with my ears flat and my gaze dark. Anything to say! I have a whole lot to say to her, but why should I waste breathe on her? Yet my childish pride demand I stay, even though I have decided she cannot help me. I won't let her help me, even. "I don't care what distant queen birthed you on the wrong side of the blanket," I say, further annoyed by her plunge back into calm. As if I'm some child throwing a temper tantrum. "I asked you if you know anything but you still didn't answer me, so I must assume you don't." Enjoy your ignorance. I still keep my head high, my tail flicking from side to side, lashing against my hocks and flanks. I'm almost daring her to contradict me, though I would probably lose my temper if she did. It's not my fault she's stupid and deaf, but she doesn't have to act like it is, does she? Or like somehow being a disgraced princess makes it acceptable.

[ hurr durr he's an ass. :x ]

Bleeding</style>

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

It's gettin hot out here

He scowls after I tell him I am a princess. I look him dead in the eye, the more princess part of me taking over me. Each word I say is pronounced as clear as the sky today, each 'T' finished of correctly, each 'R' rolled of the tongue. "Do doubt my status?" I say. My sentence short, collected, directed at the stallion, maybe slightly rhetorical.

I had now fully collected myself. I would not stoop to his childish level. I would stay at my level, the level a true royal should stick at. I watch him have his temper tantrum. He was like a foal who didn't get the sweetest patch of grass, or who wasn't aloud out his mother's sight for fear he may cause trouble, or something stupid like that. "wrong side of the blanket," My ears fall back even more so that they are slick to my neck. What kind of prince used insults such as that? Not only insulting a princess who was standing right in front of him, but also her mother and father is such a way. Stay cool Sinuhe, stay cool.

I watch him finish of his little paddy with one brow raised. I half expected him to stomp his hooves about, maybe head butt me in the way a child did when they didn't like what was being said. "I asked you if you know anything but you still didn't answer me, so I must assume you don't." Must I answer him? Who was he to demand answers from me? He had no right to talk to me, or anyone, the way he was. Prince Mauja was not a stallion, he was a colt, with hooves too big for his own body.

When he had finished talking I leave a brief silence, allowing tension to hang around in the air around us. Four ears were pinned back, Four ice blue eyes were glaring, Two white bodies were tense, two royal minds were hating. I was in no way hurt by his words, they were nothing but childish insults that he was throwing about, like toys out a crib. "Do you know you are a whining prince?" I pause again. "Did your father ever teach you to calm your voice? To be respectful to others? Or at least those equal to you? As for where your home is, I do not know, I never bothered to listen in my fathers lectures."

"blah blah blah."

Ascended Helovian

I don't even bother answering. My snort and skeptical look should tell her that yes, I doubt she's a princess. She's too stupid and thick-headed and dumb for it, and much too brazen. She should be in a corner, being quiet and respectful, not arguing with me like this! Besides, none of this is my fault - I just asked her if she knew how to get home and she turned all pissy on me. I am quite unamused by this all, and there was no point in hiding my annoyance. Why would I? She's just a would-be princess in her land of make believe, and I have no respect for that. I'll trample all over her castle and leave her broken in the mud; I'm not violent normally, but I sometimes entertain the notion of destruction within my mind, living vicariously through my dreams. It'd be sweet to put her in her place, but I can't be bothered; I just glare hotly, waiting for her to keep making a fool of herself.

The silence stretches, almost uncomfortable, but I refuse to budge. I will not be the one to break away, mutter and mumble, to look aside and take my leave, even if I'd do it in a flourish and with glares. I hold my place, my blue eyes smoldering, and then she starts speaking, trying to insult me. A whining prince! (Well, I know that I do whine a bit sometimes, but whining about being magically teleported to the middle of blasted nowhere is legit, I swear. Maybe I won't whine about bruises for a few years, just to prove her wrong, but this shit I'm landed in is enough to make me want to weep in the hours of darkness. So hell yes, I whine about this, but not other things. Moron.) And what is she, a pretty, sparkling princess? No. If anything, she's whining about me, and trying to act so high and mighty. I don't even bother trying to defend myself from her foolish jibes, they just show that she knows nothing. Why did she have to attack me, just because she was stupid? Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupidstupidstupidstupid...

"Thank you for finally answering my question, princess," I say icily, acid dropping from my sarcastic voice when I drop her title. Yeah, princess my ass. I find it amusing and ironic that she berates me for not listening to my father in the same breath that she admits not listening to her own. Geeze. I roll my eyes, thinking that staying here with this useless mare is not going to be healthy for my blood pressure (you'd think it'd do damage to my self-esteem, but nahhh! I know who I am, and my worth.). "I can see that you are going to be just as useless as I expected, if not more." I don't even care, just pull my head up a little higher again and glare at her. Lowly creature, get out of my way. "So if you don't mind, I'll be going now, princess." And with that, I try to use my bigger bulk to shoulder her aside and stride away across the meadow.

Bleeding</style>