the Rift

A Day in the Neighborhood

Antistata Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The wind was rather gentle, not doing much more besides tickling the leaves on the trees that surrounded her. Wings were tucked neatly, mostly safe from any thorns or sharp branches. A nose snort blew out bugs and caked dirt, all along with the snotty build-up it had created. Ever step was lazy, her toe scraping the ground from time to time. Tail flipped, rested, flipped the other way. Flies and biting bugs that buzzed along her gently sloped back took a moment and circled the air before landing back into their original spaces. It was a very pleasant day, one that may or may not contain many new things and changes for her.

After a long period of the relaxed walk, the trees spread out a little more and she came to a halt. Antistata took some time to look around her, making sure trouble wasn't out lurking. Then, it was time for a good stretch. Her front leaned forward, legs stiffened, and her butt dipped down as her back legs were leaned away from. Once her body was all back in place, she lifted her head and opened her jaw... wider and wider... to yawn. When totally settled, she chewed on some grass that had been lodged between tooth and cheek, her ears sat upward, twisting once in awhile to capture any unusual sounds.

A sudden clash of an old branch falling from an older tree echoed, startling her. Antistata cringed and bolted, hauling ass through the brush and trees, leaping easily over logs. It was too cramped to spread her wings, so she ran instead. She ran until she felt she was safe from whatever danger might not have existed in the first place. She ran, right into a land that would provide her with more than she bargained for.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Riding aloft the gentle breath of a crisp Orangemoon morning, Africa swept in great declining circles above the mottled brown canopy of Helovia’s Threshold. She had personally appointed herself the responsibility of finding quality candidates for her homeland, or those perhaps who were lost, broken and without hope. The rim of black flight feathers ripped as she descended, her carriage graceful and rehearsed. She mostly utilised a slim glade in the western fringe to land- it was further from the main clutter of horses travelling throughout the wood. Shrouded in a coat of caution, her eyes skimmed the exposed section, to her relief not finding any other beings to hinder her arrival. Steady hooves gripped the supple loam with ease, and after only a couple of collective strides the dapple grey mare ceased her movement.

A worthy nervousness gripped her soul, constant apprehension while the threat from the north remained. She was selective these days, waiting and observing from the thicket before approaching any stranger. Her manner was naturally casual, her open expression easily masking the tentative stroke of her eyes through the area surrounding. Africa carried herself towards the nearby tree line before slipping forward, to conceal herself beneath the ruffling leaves above.

The sunlight that filtered down through the patchy canopy spread in a cosy blanket across her wind-blown hide; it was thin still despite the fridgid shift of season, thickened only for comfort within her warm desert home. A distant crack, followed by the crashing thud of shedding wood echoed from further down the valley's forest behind her. Africa’s ears tipped forward as she turned not intrigued by the latter however, instead by the sudden drum of startled hooves. The sound grew nearer, and she searched the shady undergrowth for the galloping horse- curious, if anything.

A mare, whose bay-brown coat was frosted with snowy white came barrelling through the trees towards Africa, who in turn opened her wings a little and danced elegantly, clear of her path. Amused, a smile pulled the corners of her mouth and she snorted softly in greeting when the stranger finally slowed. Without hesitation she slipped forward to meet the appaloosa, comforted for the most part that she was adorned with lovely white wings which automatically united them against the sickening wave of racism intoxicating Helovia. “Hello there... She soothed, noting a lather of sweat across her company’s heaving barrel- Africa presumed she had indeed been frightened before the bolt. “What frightened you?” Her eyes watched kindly, offering what comfort they could.

Image Credits

Unregistered
Something rather unexpected found it's way into her view. A lighter mark against the darker color of wood and slowly browning greens. Her short neck arched along the top, her nostrils flaring a little. Between the hard run and new smell, she felt a little overwhelmed. She felt her muscles relax at the view of another equine, versus a predator. The question at hand made her pause in breath, before continuing the heavy heaves to push the air through her lungs. Her body thirsted for oxygen, still a little high on adrenaline.

"Hello," she started, "There was a loud crash behind me, I was unsure of it's origins and - with it having been so silent - frightened me."

Antistata's wing ruffled. She was no embarrassed to know there was nothing there and someone had watched her rush through the trees like a flying tiger had been on her tail. To cover the embarrassed ruffling, she shook out her tense body and stretched her wings as far up as she could manage before tucking them again. It seemed this mare before her held a mixture of scents. It told her that the fellow Pegasus was of a herd, which was such an alien thing to her own self. In silence, she hoped she hadn't unwittingly passed into marked territory - she hoped, oh so deeply, that this was not a dangerous confrontation. Anxiety climbed back into her still stressed flesh.

"Might I inquire you what exactly this place is? I've been wandering for so long, I've lost track of where things end and begin. It all blends, these days," she admitted timidly, making sure there was plenty of space between her and the unfamiliar to make a breezy escape. Granted, in her heart she was excited. In her heart, she was utterly pleased to finally see a Pegasus. Most equine she'd seen had been grounded equines; since most of her time was spent in flight, this was the first conversation she'd had with someone besides herself in... a couple years?

A stolen glance toward the direction Africa had come from. Antistata looked back at her and gave an uncontrollable nicker. Tail swish, feathery shake, ear twitches. Her anxiety took another dip into relaxation and she smiled a little. A Pegasus was before her, she should be happier. So, she figured it was a good time to start giving a better introduction. "By the way, my name is Antistata." Such casual words. She honestly hoped this other mare could see her nervousness. Hell, this mare probably could smell it at this rate! In an attempt to seem less jumpy, she stretched her neck out and reached toward Africa with ears laid out to the sides in a relaxed manner.

ooc: Sorry my posts aren't glamorous. o3o Thanks for replying~

Deceased

“Hello...” Between mouthfuls of cool air, the stranger replied to Africa. Her anxious manner seemed transparent and sincere, which the young grey appreciated immediately. “There was a loud crash behind me, I was unsure of its origins and -with it having been so silent -frightened me." The rush of words flooded the quietness which generally engulfed the forest so early in the day- the merry chord of a thrush erupted from the other side of the close by glade, but that was all. Her head bobbed sympathetically, gentle eyes embracing the other mare’s chocolate brown stare warmly.

Tenderly and through fluttering nostrils, Africa issued a reassuring murmur of sorts- the speckled white on brown Pegasus had ruffled her wings uncomfortably she knew, because there had been many a time humiliation had swarmed her own lack of confidence. Now though, with an ever expanding girth of experience and the security of a home, she found it easier to mask the unpredictable anxiety ever haunting her young, impressionable mind. The other mare’s wings stretched upwards; they were larger than Africa’s, their span considerably broader, despite standing shorter than the graceful Andalusian. She ruffled her own lace of feathers and their gloss shimmered, touched by the gentle reach of morning sunlight.

Again the spotted horse spoke, and Africa listened patiently with a considerate smile. "Might I inquire you what exactly this place is? I've been wandering for so long, I've lost track of where things end and begin. It all blends, these days," Though strapped with a formal tone, the dapple grey quickly noted the unhindered nervousness which spilt with the words, both questioning and explanatory as it were. An easy chortle was the first response- having passed through this forest so many times prior, and answering the same question each time also. This was routine now, and Africa could relax with that conventional comfort.
You are in Helovia, friend...” Africa paused on that note, tilting her face slightly as though confirming the fact. “...This forest is a labyrinth its true, but you are not lost in my company.” The sound of her clarification was kind-hearted. They were sisters after all, even if not protected by the same walls, they were as one; blessed with flight.

Finally Africa’s timid company seemed to relax a little, shrugging the edginess from her sleek brown shoulders. She nickered softly, before introducing herself. "By the way, my name is Antistata." Almost immediately after, she had extended a quivering nose towards Africa and it was met with the velvety warm purse of black lips. “Africa” She offered in response lifting her muzzle and face away contentedly. “How long have you been wandering alone? The humble young horse asked curiously. Africa was not particularly well equipped socially, but there was a certain level of equine instinct which craved companionship- no matter how primitive. Her own journey months before, had taken two days of air-travel and when Midas had stumbled across her, she had bumbled clumsily before him in much the same way Antistata had just done.

Image Credits

Unregistered

A N T I S T A T A
i could bleed for you

The pressure of things seemed to slip away, more so when she gathered knowledge of her location. Helovia. She couldn't recall if she'd ever heard the name before, but it seemed to roll around in her mind actively, now. Another word followed closely behind, causing a moment of "oh" in Antistata's mind. Friend. Were they friends? Was this friendship? She had to contain her emotions before the leaked out. She was six years, she needed to act it; not like a flailing yearling.

The feeling of soft muzzle against hers was something she'd longed to feel. Companionship was desired by instinct. Perhaps a herd wasn't as out of the question as originally thought, but Antistata was still incredibly unsure about herd life. She hadn't been apart of such a thing since she was a filly. Then, the name rang into her ears. Her name is Africa. She almost wanted to comment. She liked the name, finding it unique without being strange like her own name.

A question was presented to her. How long had she been alone? Her heart fluttered. Antistata stalled, looking over her shoulder and searching for something that couldn't be found anywhere near where they were. She never figured this would be a hard question, but it seemed it was.

"I..." she trailed off, look back to Africa and examining the mare before her. "I think it's been around four years now."

Four long years, which held their own level of peace and adventure, trouble and pain. Helovia seemed like a place she could stay, however. Africa was a convincing representative of the land, and Antistata was glad to have been greeted by her. Anti smiled, then began walking. Four years of constant movement ingrained into her mind that now was still not quite the time to stop. She still had some mileage to cover.

Deceased

Around them, shimmering bronze leaves rippled when stroked by the gently wafting breeze, clutching tightly until their strength failed; then they spiralled wildly and helplessly, downward to settle against the mat of already fallen, decaying litter across the floor. This part of the Threshold forest was not so dense, perhaps younger and less weathered, and the spindly pines grew with slender, clean trunks. Juvenile cedars and loose clutters of aspen found root where gaps were left, many other woodland species too. There was room enough there, for a horse to turn and move with fluidity and ease. Occasionally a weak tree had succumbed to its failing health, or its base rotted through, falling to die gradually at the harvesting bite of termites and encompassing mould. Africa remembered them all devotedly, perhaps finding more comfort in the company of the timber, than her equine counterparts in fact.

Never the less, she basked in the comfortable atmosphere building about her conversation with Antistata... “Forgive me... She interrupted offhandedly though meaning no offence as she did so- even before the other mare had begun to talk. Actually, at that point her company appeared to be hesitating awkwardly across her answer to the dapple grey’s own question. Africa naturally acted upon her impulses with little to no consideration prior- this was one of those moments. “I don’t mean to offend, but Antistata seems like such a mouthful. Do you mind if I shorten your still lovely name, to Ann?” An apologetic smile mellowed her gaze. There was a pause allowed then for the mare’s confirmation- or not...

"I..." After the abruptness of Africa’s disruption, Ann began to speak though she quickly paused again, appearing to study the grey Pegasus in thought. "I think it's been around four years now."
Taken aback, the young mare’s jaw slackened slightly. “That's longer than I have been alive!” She exclaimed childishly and surprised, as though it held some relevance in in the matter. Ann leaned forward into a languid stroll and Africa, the modest gape of her mouth and all, followed suit unquestioningly.

Four years is a very long time...” She confirmed dismally, the thought escaping aloud while her lips remained parted. Pensively, her creamy eyes scanned the spread of grass and tree debris beneath her swift step; she hastened into a brief trot so that they might walk shoulder to shoulder. “What now? Africa asked finally, lifting the bob of her head so that she could smile towards the brown and white mare. “Is it a family you seek? Or would you prefer to continue your seclusion from mainstream society.” She exhaled quietly, still watching with unflinching interest.

Image Credits