the Rift

[OPEN] meet me in the... mud [irrydae]

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren
   The raging inferno did not begin until I was gliding upon the relatively peaceful skies superior to the earth below. It had been many weeks since I had felt the exquisite, savage strength of the autumn storm, the freezing deluge that turned my wings to hardening clay, struggling to respond to the crafter's swift, nimble fingers, no matter how skilled they may be. At the speed I descended ungracefully towards earth, smashed and buffeted by roaring gods of winds, each drop of rain became a stinging whip upon my skin, bursting into being, and yet the worst was still to come on the fall morning. Lightning. Each and every hair stood rigid upon my skin, crackling with electricity, and the air throbbed with menacing power, the taste of ozone and thunderbolts upon my tongue. Soon, I knew, storm devils would crack their fiendish golden whips, and I would be thrown from the sky unceremoniously, to crack my fragile limbs on the soggy earth below, to be eaten by the dry soil turning to thick, heavy mud.

All too soon the wind that bent the treetops with pleasure had me spinning out of control, and I did wonder at my stupidity. Autumn was unpredictable; it was simply thick of me to fly so far from ground, where it would take a long, slow descent to stop me from filling my blood with unpleasantry. Even now, as I was thrown and caught like a toy by alternating hot and cool patterns, smashed downwards at lightning speed, I was frustratingly distant from the comfort of Earth's realm. "No," I groan, and heave back at my wings, trying desperately to shake off the rain. But the divine gods foiled me, instead dumping even more buckets of water upon me. Down and down I swirled, flushed out of the sky, and finally earth rose up to meet me. With great, painful effort, I arched my wings, ready to back-beat; the wind howled in my ears and the rain lashed at my face, sending me tipping forward once more. Desperately I leveled out, parallel to the ground, hoping to land in a swift gallop that would ease to walk.

But landings were always the hardest part of flying, even in the best of conditions.

I landed so hard I sunk, floundering to me knees, and so ungracefully spun onto my side, and when I rose, mud had lavished me with kisses. Unmeaningly I grunted, shuddering at the cloying feeling of it locking me into place, but despite my half-hearted attempts to clean my wings, the rain only drove the dirt in deeper. Finally I sighed, flicked my airfoils one last time, and glumly stared through the sheets of rain. Who knew how long this storm would last? Perhaps my best chance would be trekking back. Even when I glanced upwards, the dark gray, gormless clouds continued on forever.

I should've turned, immediately, and started back to the Throat. It was a long while on foot before I could reach the detested desert; but instead, I ran lightly to the few trees in this wide-open meadow, and huddled beneath their piteous shelter.

[tagged for Irrydae, but anyone can join! :D Just please don't hold back the thread!]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.

Irrydae Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: Seven
paddeh
I am the night sky- but not tonight. The mare seemed to be born from the stars and the night. She has made a far way from her home tonight, and she found herself caught in a storm. Sheets and sheets of rain. It stung so bad. It felt as if a thousands bees were biting every inch of her chocolate and purple pelt, but it never ended. Water filled her eyes and she could barely see, let alone keep them open. She felt so vulnerable- she couldn't hear, she couldn't see and visibility was almost nonexistent. Her shoulders sagged and so did her head- which was usually perked up with excitement and curiosity. Wings were tucked at her sides to try and keep her warm, but the rain was like ice that cut straight through her. She shivered, steps heavy, no idea of direction or where home was. She wanted to cry, she wanted to give up and lay down, but she couldn't. She could die out here if she didn't keep her muscles from becoming stiff and her temperature warm.

Irrydae bleats out a long, sorrowful cry for help. There was no shelter that she could see. Where was she? Leaning her head down to the ground she saw the thistles and then knew. She was still closer to home than originally thought, so her head perked up a bit. Her ears and hair were plastered to her skin, sticking like glue.

She nearly runs into another, stopping mere inches from the figure. And then she is sinking. Her head throws up in alarm as she scrambles away, looking at the pit of mud the other is in. It has wings too. Irrydae clenches her teeth, the other probably needed help. She nickered out through the rain, hoping that the other might here her. She circled around to the side closest to the mare, gold eyes observing the situation. The other wasn't stuck, it had been an illusion, just painted with mud as if it had fallen. Her hair lashes against her face as a large gust of wind pushes her, and she hunkers down.

They needed shelter.

"talk talk."

venomxbaby | solarka-stock | featherstockimages@ da
[Image: wu5k41.png]
please tag irry in every post! magic & aggression allowed w/o death

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
   The rain is relentless, a frigid deluge that is similar to plunging into a river and ducking my head under. Truthfully, I am very soon praying that I will not drown on land from the torrents that keep spilling down from the heavens, adamant in their belief I am to begin rotting before it is to cease its frigid attack. Rain keeps falling, until I am soaked to the bone and my winter hair is absolutely drenched, and I am shivering uncontrollably, muscles clenched tight in a useless effort to keep me warm, to keep the blood circling through. I know the river must be near, and perhaps if the rain that keeps falling were to ease off I could hear its rushing mumbling roars, but I cannot hear a thing over the patter of the divine god's teardrops falling on my face and filling my ears and clogging my nostrils and layering on my eyelashes. Even if I were to stumble in the horse-devouring mud that clogs the banks of the river that is no doubt flooding at this moment, somehow I doubt I would notice, so encased in dirt and soil and cloying clay that has been smacked gracelessly upon my form. The tree offers little cover, and as my wings accidently brush the trunk, it sends the quivering buckets of water loaded upon its leaves dumping onto me, and quite contrary to what you would think, it makes the mud grow ever thicker and heavier upon my dark body.

Through the determined sheets that continue exploding upon the earth, drenching the world in its glacial embrace, I can, just hardly make out the barest quivering outline of another animal stumbling blind through this world. I inhale, and cough, chest-wracking heaving hacks that send me sputtering for breath, and with each cough I become more tired, until my head hangs pathetically close to the flowers and yellow grass that has turned to mud. My wings rise, fluttering uselessly in an attempt to keep me warmer, but they too are soaked to my skin.

Alarmingly quickly a shape appears beside me, a pegasus, I think, but I can't really tell through the appalling rain. Fear electrifies me, and I lift my head, still hacking up a lung, and peer the best I can. I can't make out the distinguishing features of male or female, nor can I even smell. My sense of smell has disappeared, unable to find a single feature that may clue me in to whoever- whatever- this horse is. For a moment I search for eyes, a gaze to meet, and then I cough again, harsh and hard, and step forward, seeking the warmth of her side instinctively. Even the possibility of it being a threat, is overrun by the instinctive urge to seek shelter and warmth. It was surprising that the rain was not snow, and that little 'surprise' meant the rain was dratted near freezing. I try my best to press up against it hopefully- and hoarsely I speak, nearing a shout to try and get my point across, but the thundering rain is much too loud, and I'm not sure how much really it could hear. It was a bit like yelling into the wind, when the person was upwind. If you said "we won the war", they might just hear "we -- the -- war".

Anyways, I try my best. "We need shelter! Where do we go?"

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Hidden Account
paddeh
I genuinely enjoy water. Water makes up 72% of me. Water keeps me alive, from going dry, from death. But this- I don't like this. I hate this. Yes, hate. I am doused and drowned by freezing rain that cuts every inch of my strong, lean body. It makes me feel weak. Purple lids are forced open, so heavy. It felt like someone was weighing down my eye lids. Heck, it felt like someone was weighing down me. My forelock is plastered to my forehead, whipping my eyes as a I blink, and I can't flick it back. My mane is also glued to my neck, my tail entangled with my hind legs that slip and stumble.

The other is pressed against a tree, though I do not see how that helps. I see a flutter of wings, and it makes me look at my own wings that are sealed to my side, stars blinking weakly. Water is clogging my ears the instant I raise them towards the other, so as quick as they came up, they go back down- pressed against my neck and sopping wet hair. The rain runs off me in waterfalls, everywhere. My nose, my wings, my sides. I am past freezing. It feels as if the rain has frozen my blood, frozen my organs and frozen my bones. But I nimbly walk on, steps uneven and weak.

I am at the others side before I realize it, and the tree's leaves just is pouring more on me. I don't like it. Just let it stop. I plead. What have we done to deserve this? All I wish for is my completely sheltered, warm cave, with my pool in the Foothills. I want it so bad, I ache for it. I can imagine how warm and comfortable I would be. But no, I am damned out here to die. My closed off ears barely here it, and I lean towards other. 'Need... do... go.' I shake my head, replying it in my head, thinking hard as I watched the lips move. And then I realize other was talking about shelter. Yes. I nod. Where is shelter, though? I don't even care that this other could snap my neck and I press my body against other. Craning my lips to other's ears. "The forest around this meadow. The trees are dense and will be better than out in the open. There also might be a shelter of branches or a cave." I am screaming as loud as I can, but I am also close, so I hope other can hear me well. I huddle close to other. We need to move, now.

"talk talk."

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
   Soul-less entities the gods must be to toss us into this inferno of chilled water and mind-numbing cold, and maybe I do cry, and maybe tears do run down my face as I shudder and shiver hopelessly, almost wishing I was dead, to escape the chill that hunkers down in my very bones. The very touch of the rain leeches away my warmth, my essence, and I can nearly imagine it draining me of me, creating an empty shell.

The rain is roaring and the vague shape is screaming, and I'm moaning quietly trying to figure out what's happening, filled with despair.

I ruffle my wings in an instinctive attempt to scatter the water drops accumulating heavily on my dark feathers, leaving me looking even more sudden, instead just a little more... spiky and bedraggled. Another hacking cough emerges from my harsh lungs, and I squeeze my eyes tightly shut, shaking my head firmly. Closer do I press to this indistinct stranger, wishing I had never left the sanctuary of the grotesque, dry Throat which was hardly ever touched by rain. I strain my ears to hear the pegasus, desperately trying to hear whatever it may say over the torrential rain that prevents contact. It's almost as if this storm has been sent to isolate us, to stop me from hearing another or even having the comfort of a familiar scent.

Words come mangled, even though I can [just barely] feel the heat of it's breath on my audits, something about trees and forests and the rest is lost in the rain's malicious fall. I presume that it means shelter to be found in the trees, and I quite agree. Forward I stumble, hoping the other will be able to see my sodden form and follow, or lead perhaps, and then a rather unfortunate incident happens. The river, swollen from its greedy intake of the sky's tears, swells over its well-worn banks, and down I plunge into the roaring, foaming beast.

Cold. Glacial, freezing cold envelops me, sinking into my very bones, and I choke, unprepared for the water swirling into my throat. I flap my wings weakly, but I am unprepared for its monstrous nature, its savage hands clawing at me and something snapping against my thigh.

I am about to drown.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Hidden Account
paddeh
It is unrelentless. The rain does not lessen. It seems to only get worse, determined to drown me on land. It probably will. Every drop cuts my skin and stings, gravity pulling the heavy molecules towards me, towards the other, towards the ground. It was dampening my soul, my will to live. I was so cold. I had stopped shivering I was so cold. That was not a good sign and I knew it.

Does the other one feel this way? I reach my maw to touch the neck of other, soaked skin on soaked skin. You could probably wring both of them out. Golden eyes are squinted, rain flooding into them and causing terrible pain, but they are open long enough to see the bright flash that strikes the tree and causes her hair to stand on in. The whites of my eyes flash as I rise up on her hind legs, fear and adrenaline running thick through my veins before I am planted on the ground again, scuttling away to the tree that has someone caught on fire in this downpour. How was this natural?

The other moves, and I reach out, scrambling for my pelt to touch it's again. So the other had heard me? I squint my golden eyes as I try to keep sight of the other, just barely able to see it's tail. My muzzle reaches out to touch it, but it is no longer there. I don't know how I hear it, but I do. While it would have been loud normally, it was barely audible in the storm. But I still heard it. The splash. Without thinking, a scream tears from my vocals, sheer panic as I stop dead, right before the lip of gushing river. I have lost the other.

I should turn back now. There is nothing I can plausibly do. The other is doomed for death. That's what mother would have done, would have wanted me to do. It wasn't worth it. Not in this storm. There was nothing I could do. Or was there? I don't even think when I find myself launching into my death, too.

I have had a good life, no?

"talk talk."

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
   Black.

My vision is turning dark around the edges as I force my eyes open, exposing myself to a world of silt and mud and dancing sand, as I am sucked downwards by the terrifying forces. Just as swiftly, I am thrown upwards, skywards, tumbling and twirling in all manners of maneuvers I could not ever replicate. A stray log catches me in the hip, sending me spinning like a tossed leaf, floundering. Dying. Could I claw my way up the surface? My wings, so elegant in flight, dragged me downwards towards the viscous black mud at the bottom of the river, no doubt prepared to suck me under, lost forever. Would Kri notice my disappearance? Levi or Aryel? Would anyone? In all my years, I had never cared to truly get to know someone. It was all a waste. It's not just the weight dragging me down now. It's the despair in my chest, heavier that rocks piled on my back. It's this empty hope, a wasted hope, that I can claw my way up to the surface. My legs, thrashing mindlessly, finally slow. Despite the glacial cold of the flooded river, I feel almost warm, as if someone has tossed a blanket over my frozen body.

The roar of the river has died in my ears. But even as I reconcile myself with the possible- no, inevitable- death that was coming agonizingly slowly, the snarling body of water sends me shooting up to the surface, until my face breaks the slick surface. Before, I thought myself drowning on land. Now, my oxygen-deprived body, the vessel of my soul, shrieked in triumph, as I raggedly began heaving, sucking in the air desperately, eyes scanning for a bank, knowing that at any moment the wild waters would take me down under to a terrifying place.

Nothing. Just as I predicted, my body is soon doused wholly once more, and this time, I know, there will be an end. I cannot survive the churning monstrous force, heedless of what I need most. Already my lungs are burning, seeming close to explosion locked inside my chest.

Oblivion, at long last. The last thing I register is something shattering on my wing, and pain exploding into creation.

Darkness and shadow.

ooc; would you like to end the thread here? ^^ anddd she's not actually dead, she's just passed out to be tossed up somewhere on the banks father down!

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread