the Rift

[OPEN] Its Time || Donai

Ayaka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Too many memories flooded my mind as I stepped through the Deep Forest. This was one of the places that I actually had grown to love, but now I just wanted to get the hell out. I didn't want to remember my old mate, Lupus. He abandoned me and Elektra. This was the place we had met and had fallen in love in. I remembered those two idiot cats that challenged us. Oh, they learned their lesson alright! But this forest seemed quite today. Too quite. The sun had disappeared a long time ago, and I was getting afraid that it would never show up again. My magic was not working either. My pelt that used to glimmer and shine in the moon's light now was its usual dull red color. The stream of deadly fire that would flood out of my maw whenever I howled, now did not come out. I just hoped that this madness would stop soon.

The only thing that lighted my path were faint lantern tree's that glowed. I did not like the dark anymore, and I wanted to feel the warmth of the sun on my back, instead of this dreaded coldness. A familiar scent pricked at my black nose as I went deeper and deeper into the woods. The scent was of the ancient fir tree that marked where the pool of water with red rocks was. That was my destination today. I got there in a matter of minutes, my eyes of fire scanning the familiar setting. I had never seen it like this though. It was too dark and the glowing trees were nowhere near the pool, but still shown a bit of light beyond the fir and pool. I squinted, trying to catch ever sight that I had come to love and hate. I felt one of my paws shatter the thin top layer of ice that grew on the surface of the small pool. I quickly backed up, not wanting to get wet today. It was cold enough as is, and I did not need the help of water.

Little did I know, I was not here alone. Something was creeping in the shadows and soon we would meet. Maybe we would get alone, or maybe not.

Credits!

Donai Posts: N/A
Unregistered

DONAI

The Leopard

I crawled through the gripping branches of the trees, my steps were slow and careful, but each step still a sharp pain of agony shooting up back leg and into my hip. My bones felt as though they were burning, or maybe I was finally just losing it? I figured if I was preparing to die I would first feel warmth then peace right? Neither was felt on this coldest of nights… I was fortunate enough my leg didn’t end up infected, but now it just seemed like dead weight to me anymore. I’m able to put more weight on it now than weeks ago, but I could feel my leg becoming stiff, almost as if I were to let my leg rest it could become frozen that way. But I kept moving… keeping warmer by moving, keeping my leg moving and healing. The painful process that felt like it was killing me slowly.

Brushing against a dead, leafless bush, the branches hissed against my fur as I passed, dropping rotting leaf litter and bark into the paw prints I carelessly left behind in the glittering white snow which illuminated the trees. Not that I was any easier to see of course. Occasionally I’d pass the glow of a lamp which lit the trail, but I ignored these. The dark didn’t bother me in the least bit, I’m a predator after all, lurking in the darkness stalking my prey is my specialty. My eyes flashed red briefly against the light of another lamp, but I paid the issue no mind. Why was I here? Hunger. I’ve managed to pull by eating rabbits that try to hide in the snow; voles, mice, birds. I was even lucky enough to find a rotting deer carcass closer to the mountains of the foot hills.
My tongue ran over my lips as I licked up the salivation which seemed to be drizzling from my mouth as the taste of that carcass came to mind. The poor thing hadn’t survived the winter, but in its death I lived to see another day. But now I hunger again, my belly cramping, clenching at me in plea for food.
So here I am… in the dead of night, slinking my way through the snow in complete and utter silence. Praying to the Gods something will cross my path and that it will be weak enough for me to catch it.

In fact something did cross my path! I froze to see the form of an animal moving just ahead of me. My pupils narrowed as I strained to see anxiously what it was, what ever this was, it’s big. Immediately I crouched into stalking position, my body sinking into the snow, my shoulders rolling above my back, my belly dragging through the snow. I crawled in its direction, my heart was pounding out of my chest. My prayers were hard that this was a deer… for a moment Irrydae flashed in my mind again, the bright light and then the pain in my leg. My front foot quivered with fear, I froze in the trees staring at the creature… if this was another foal I’m about to pounce, I may as well lay in the snow now and wait for the pounding of hooves to beat my skull into the ground. Just hope… that it’s not. It's now or never!
I burst from the trees and began a clumsy run at the animal, trying to carry or otherwise drag my weak and hurt leg begin me. CRACK! Then the breaking of limbs as I forced the trees out of my way.

Unregistered

My ears jolted forward. I knew something else was here, but yet my eyes could not see the mysterious figure of what lurked. A rumble grew in my throat and I released it, warning what ever being that was out there that I was not afraid of them. I could hurt them more than they could hurt me probably. What I didn't know is that the one that lurked was also not afraid of me, and was just as vicious as me. My auburn fur bristled as my fiery orbs gazed into the endless lines of trees, trying to find the single soul.

Snap! A load cracking sound erupted and before I knew it, a large cat was leaping towards me. I quickly dodged to get out of its path. Sylvia was dripping down my mouth as I glared into the sea like eyes of the feline. I had to admit, I was afraid, but I would never show that sign of weakness! I was a Dragon's Throat Soldier! I could not help my fear though. This cat looked hungry and I was about to be its choice of meal. I couldn't and wouldn't let that happen! If this cat hunted me down, who would take care of Elektra?

"Listen, Cat, if you even lay a paw on me, I will tear your head off! You’re a cat, and I'm a dog, who do you think always wins? You’re lucky my magic isn’t working right now, because if it was you would be in flames." I snarled, my white teeth flashing in the small amount of light. I stiffened my position, my legs spread apart, my head level to my body. My ears were forward and my tail was straight out. Oh, this kitten better be afraid of me. I could smell this cat was not in the best of shape, and from the look of it one of her legs was busted pretty bad. Weak opponents were always the easiest to defeat.

My teeth still were bared, and my body was still in that stiff position. My heart was still beating so fast, I'm surprised it did leap out of my chest. I really didn't want to hurt this cat but if it meant my life then, a wolf will do what she has to do.

"Now tell me, who are you?"

Credits!

Unregistered

DONAI

The Leopard

It wasn’t moments after I’d launched myself at the animal that I realized what I was going for was not a grazing animal. Eyes on the front of the face, ears which faced forward, sharp teeth. All the anatomical features of a predator, and a musky smell that radiated off the beast that was, in no way, appetizing. This was not food. It did not smell good; it was unlikely to taste good. I drove my front feet into the ground adjusting my landing to come to a complete halt and shifted my weight step back from the animal. Who had also leapt away from me in order to avoid my assault.

At first the animal snarled at me, which of course was justified, this was a silly and embarrassing mistake on my part. To which I responded by further retreating back, carrying my limp leg and all to give the predator and I some good distance. I flattened my ears and gave the predator an apologetic look of sincerity. But then it began to talk to me, to which I expected a harsh back off from the animal, but her words left me baffled.

"Listen, Cat, if you even lay a paw on me, I will tear your head off! You’re a cat, and I'm a dog, who do you think always wins? You’re lucky my magic isn’t working right now, because if it was you would be in flames."

What was this attitude being thrown at me? Does this thing believe that picking a fight with me would somehow leave her unscathed? And what was this dogs always win none-sense? My thoughts drifted back home and I etched into mind the closest thing to a “dog” I could think of. The wiry jackal came into mind, and now that I think of it this thing reminded me a lot of a jackal or rather a larger version of one. The other animal would be the hyenas but those weren’t really canines to speak of despite their dog-like appearances, they were actually more related to cats than dogs. At my home land the jackal bowed before everything else, and everything else bowed down to the lion.

The lion > Hyenas > Baboons >Leopards > Cheetahs > and then the Jackal…

I reviewed a small list of numerous predators, my head tilting to one side with one ear flopping over and the other turned a different direction as I thought this over. Yes… yes I do believe where I come from “dogs” are pretty low on the totem pole.

I watched her suddenly strike a fighting stance and become hostile and prepare herself for a battle. Was she trying to get hurt? The only word that came to my mind was fool, this thing is a fool, getting hurt as a predator is not like getting hurt as a grazer. You can’t simply bend over and maintain your strength by eating greens, I thought to myself. If you get hurt you can’t hunt, if you can’t hunt. You die. My predicament was a perfect example of such possible outcomes. I gave a very low, quiet hiss, curling my lips up briefly to present to her my own set of canines. My message: I maybe weak and hurt but I am also a predator and I can still put you in a world of hurt.
I inched away further, keeping my eye on the beast. I am no fool; I know a fight right now would cost me my life. I wasn’t going to let some petty dispute with some stranger cost me my life. I prepared myself to run up the nearest tree if I needed to.

"Now tell me, who are you?"

The large jackal seemed to spit her words at me, my lips curled slightly as I prepared to answer but my name stuck in my throat. I’d never been spoken to in such a manner by a predator of another species. ”You first.” I surprised myself with the answer I’d given her. I’ve never felt the need to mock my opponents, but something about this huge jackal brought a little attitude out of me.

Unregistered

This injured cat thing did not seem too afraid of me. That could be a bad thing, or maybe not. Maybe I had misunderstood this creature and it just wanted a friend. But, if it wanted a friend, why would have it tried to attack me? I figured if the spotted cat did not seem like a threat, and have mistaken me for prey, then maybe we could be friends. I had always thought of cats as my enemy, judging on the way they had approached me before, but this one maybe was different.

My heart was still beating rapidly, and I thought that it may just burst. I now kind of felt bad for spitting such harsh words out at the poor cat. I shouldn't have been that bold to it. My snarl was now dimming down into a low warning growl. My fur did not stand so high on my back and my tail had descended from its straight out position. My legs were not as stiff now, but a little more relaxed. I knew that if this spotted cat really did want to eat me, it would have tried already.

When I asked it for its name, it did not respond with the answer I wanted. “You first.” It said to me. I was a little disgusted at that reply. All I simply wanted to know was its name. Well, I think we all know that cats can be strange… For one second they will be purring at you, and then they will snap and scratch you. Maybe to them, wolves are strange.

“I am Ayaka, Soldier of the Dragon’s Throat.” I spoke with pride in each of those words. I was truly proud to account myself as part of the Throat. But now was not the time to gloat, I felt the need of having to apologize for my childish behavior. “I am sorry spitting such foolish words at you. I guess this darkness has really gotten to my mind.”

[[SOOOO sorry for the wait <3 Also sorry for the short reply ]]

Credits!

Unregistered
No, I'm sorry myself for waiting 2 weeks to reply to this. I go 3 days without posting and ruin myself :/

DONAI

The Leopard

I watched the jackal start to calm down as the situation took a pause, and for a moment it seemed my hesitation spoke words to the beast. My intentions began to sink in and I watched her expression lighten, that’s it… settle down, there’s no reason to beat each other up over nothing. I heard a low rumble vibrate from the jackal’s throat and I rolled my eyes. This thing was as vocal as African Guineas.

“I am Ayaka, Soldier of the Dragon’s Throat.”

I watched as pride spilled from the mouth of this animal and I started to understand what was going on, I was watching a show. This jackal putting on an act for me, for whatever reason it felt the need to let me know it was something to be reckoned with, it felt the need to prove something.

”I am sorry spitting such foolish words at you. I guess this darkness has really gotten to my mind.”

My leg throbbed sorely, a painful reminder of the terrible situation I was in, but never the less… I… couldn’t help but smile, fiercely holding back a sly smirk of pure laughter that wanted to erupt from my throat. The jackal was starting to boil something inside of me. Having been surrounded by so many giant hoofed creatures since my arrival I’ve all but coward in the grass. But this jackal… It had to be young, it doesn’t know what it means to be a hunter and be injured.
I opted to play along, it’s too priceless not to. ”Foothills Soldier.” I bluffed, I actually didn’t have a rank yet. Not that this jackal knows that. ”Call me Donai” Maybe this darkness is getting to the both of us, or maybe it’s the fact that I’m surrounded by so many trees. I have an escape tree on pretty much every speck of ground in this territory, I felt I had the room to be daring. ”This isn’t the Throat… I don’t think.” I mentioned, now pausing and feeling a little bit embarrassed that I’d claimed to be a high ranking foothills yet I can’t even recall the names of each Helovian territory, perhaps the jackal won’t notice.