the Rift

[OPEN] Windancer [Dragon Hatching]

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

It had been weeks ago that I acquired the jaded egg in the depths of Helovia's forests. The series of events that had unfolded upon the faerie's requests was something I had never expected when it came to a simple stroll through the land; I had stepped into the role of a babysitter to Sakura, not that I minded in the least, and I had faced what could have been a fearless enemy. However, much to my relief, the monstrously large spiders hadn't flung themselves into a rage and instead followed me home to the Edge, where they would remain during the cold months of Frostfall. I hoped that Mirage would not mind, for I wasn't sure what I would do if she wished them away.

Tirelessly I had watched over the egg, curling close to it on cool nights when the nip of the wind was just a little more bitter than usual. Sometimes I feared that the child beyond the shell would never break out, for I knew not it's welfare, but I wouldn't stop in my duties until I was certain. Only as often as I must did I allow the egg out of my side, albeit reluctantly; after all, I still had my duties to the herd to tend to, but I would always assure that the egg was tucked safely and warmly away before going off.

For some time I hadn't a clue what might lay within the egg. Birds were the only creature I knew of whose young were borne from eggs, but just days ago, I had learned that it wasn't anything like that at all. The Weyrleader's own mate, Vikram, had told me of the egg's dragon origin. It was difficult for me to imagine that a dragon lay beyond those thick, jade walls, the very type of creatures that many feared in Vallhea. Of course, we had never come in contact with one during my seven years there, and I doubt anyone had seen these creatures of myth and lore. It was only when I arrived in Helovia that my beliefs had been swayed, when I had first laid eyes on the white dragoness, Fajira.

Currently, I had situated myself near one of the many camp fires scattered across the misty lands. With my barrel pressed against the ground, I kept the egg against my chest with my mane draped over it. The wind was billowing and whistled through the trees as it went, bringing a chill upon those unused to such conditions. I hadn't a clue in my mind if the young dragon could withstand such a buffeting wind or not, but I wouldn't dare take the chance.

I knew not what it was, but there was a strange feeling upon these winds, one that almost seemed to demand my strict attention. For hours I lay there, idly wondering how others might view me for my stillness. I did not care what they thought of me, for I only cared of the welfare for the child pressed protectively against my chest. Where others might have grown tired of such a task, I knew the faeries had chosen me to protect it for a reason, and I would not let them down for their choice.

And then, it happened. The time I thought might never come finally came in the form of a scratching noise, which I quickly realized was coming from within the egg. Cocking my head to get a better view of it, I watched with both curiosity and amazement as something broke free from it's confinement. First, a small black claw, and then another, and another; clawing it's way out, fighting to break loose. I wished to help it in it's struggle, but I knew that I could not, and that this was the first mountain of life it must overcome.

Instead of legs coming from behind the claws like I had imagined, I was surprised to see wings instead. They helped to pick away at the shell, slowly and surely creating a hole for the child to make it's grand escape. Then came a nose, and then a head, and the finally, the rest of it. The dragoness was the most brilliant shade of green I had ever seen, with faint, ebony stripes marking her body. Small spines laid against the length of her body, starting from her head and all the way to her long, winding tail. Her snout held several horns, and at the base of her head, two long, thick horns protruded, like any dragon from the books of lore.

A smile pulled at my lips, for I simply could not hold it back. I was thankful that the youngster had lived through all of it's trials even before emerging from her protective home, and I couldn't be happier at knowing I had helped to grant her this second chance at life. Now, she needed only a name.

"... Suli," I spoke softly, daring not to startle the youngster in her first moments of life. Dropping my head lower to the dragoness, I breathe softly, tenderly pressing my muzzle into her side. It caused a growly chirp to emerge from the newly named youth, but only seconds later, she didn't seem to mind so much. Looking up to me with purple eyes, Suli seemed to inspect me just as I was inspecting her. She seemed to be thinking, "Are you really my dad? My mother?" No, I was not, but I was her protector, her bonded, and I always would be until the end of my days.

"Welcome to the World's Edge, young one."

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Messages In This Thread
Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Destrier - 05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Sakura - 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Mirage - 05-10-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Luken - 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Vikram - 05-11-2013, 12:54 AM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Destrier - 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Sakura - 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
RE: Windancer [Dragon Hatching] - by Mirage - 05-14-2013, 12:21 AM