the Rift

[PRIVATE] Quietude [Smoke]

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
The moment that she had been able to leave the Veins of the Gods, Israfel had spread open her golden embroidered wings and had took to the air, soaring higher and higher into the daylight's sky. Normally, such an action of taking to the skies would have filled her heart with joy and excitement, for flying was one of her utmost pleasures, but this time... This time, she was bogged down by the vision and horrors that the Time God had shown her.

"Only you can decide your fate, young one. Choose the right path."

The words of the God of the Spark whispered around in her head, repeating themselves over and over again as she made her mad-dash back to the Edge. It was a place that she hadn't frequented, as there were warmer places than the Edge for one such as herself to dwell, but right now, the only thing that Israfel found that she wanted was the familiarity that came with being home. Even if it was cold, and damp, and dark, it was the only thing that Israfel wanted. She wanted to see her mother, Smoke, and see Kimber as well. It had been far too long...

The vision replayed itself over and over in her head, reminding her that something wasn't right. She need to change her ways, Israfel had realized in her audience with the Time God, but how could she start? The demi-goddess had been unaware of her actions up until this point, so how could she simply change who she was? Perhaps Smoke would know... Yes, perhaps seeking council with her mother could be her first source of action.

Pale wings crested through the air, dipping slightly as the thick forests of the Edge grew into view. Her vermillion eyes, dampened with tears due to flight through frigid air, lingered wetly upon the dark lands of her home before she came to a rough landing. Wings outstretched, muscles coiling and pulling, wings fluttering in the self-made wind, and long, elengant legs outstretched for landing. Golden hooves clipped the ground, scraping against the dirt and sod, but Israfel wasn't deterred. It was almost as if she couldn't feel it, so lost in her head as she was.

Her shoulders bounced as she met land, legs jogging as she came to a stop from high motion, and almost delicately the pale yearling pulled her wings in close to her heaving barrel. The image of that monster crustacean ripping her beloved wings from her very back haunted her, and the thought made her swallow bitterly, taking extra care to avoid snagging her wings upon the stray brances of a tree.

"Mother?" Israfel called out, her vocals still trembling like they had done in the presence of the Time God, "Mother? Kimber?"

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
The approach of the sun's daughter to the moon's lands did not go unheeded. A merry warble of welcome broke the air, voiced by her childhood babysitter as he rose out of the trees on wings of blue that flashed between three vastly different hues. He whirled about her once, and the warble shifted into a worried croon as the dragon picked up on his bonded's youngest child's distress. That concern rang a clarion call down the bond, alerting the grulla mare who rested on the other end.

Without hesitation she broke from what she had been doing, picking up into a swift trot even as she turned to follow the wordless call. A faster pace would have been taken, but too many trees rose up in between, and not even a mortal wound on a patient desperate for care would have warranted risking her own neck or legs to the sometimes treacherous ground.

But she knew a few shortcuts and took them, so that she was within earshot when Israfel's voice trembled out that beckoning call. Slowing to a walk, she wove between the last few trees as Zaffre settled with an anxious chirp on a low-hanging limb above them. "Israfel, my daughter. What troubles you so?" Stepping close she brushed her muzzle against her pale daughter's cheek and along the crest of her neck. The movement disturbed Smoke's mane, briefly exposing the gleaming golden mark of the Sun, her reminder of that brief encounter. As though the child they had created together was not reminder enough, and brought more pleasant memories.

Hidden Account
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
In Isra's swift landing, bogged down only by the emotions that fluttered around in her uneasy breast, her vermillion eyes missed the familiar sight of Zaffre. Her mother's dearest companion, and a benefactor that had aided Israfel herself when she was but a tiny filly... The warbled, chirrup caught her attention, however, and the pale goddess's emotion filled eyes turned upon the blue dragon. With the sight of Zaffre, Isra stretched her muzzle out towards him, desperate for a familiar touch. Zaffre, like her mother and Kimber, were constant. They would always remain, present to listen to her troubles... Or so, at least, Israfel hoped.

"Zaffre," she replied, her voice barely higher than that of a whisper. It was a greeting and a plea for assistance wrapped in one simple word, but she hoped that the dragon understood. While they didn't share the same sacred bond that Smoke did, surely they had some kind of bond between them. Surely, as one of her sole caretakers of her youth, he could sense that she was deeply troubled. "... My mother? Is she about?"

But, as it seemed, Zaffre was looking out for her once more, for not long after the question left her lips did Smoke's voice dance through the air, familiar and warm. Ears snapped to attention, and the young demi-goddess' head turned towards the sound. Her eyes met those of her mother's, and with one step of her golden hoof did she approach. Smoke did the same, and Israfel practically melted at the feeling of her mother's muzzle against her cheek, then going past to caress her neck. A mother's touch could never be forgotten, and despite their time apart, Israfel would never forget the gentle caresses that came from Smoke the Wild Rose.

Israfel, swallowing thickly to hopefully rid her voice of the cumbersome tremble, lifted her head and moved to rub her cheek against her mother's neck, briefly spotting the mark of the Sun that rested upon the exposed hide. The mark of her conception, it seemed...

"Mother," she murmured softly, uncertain as where to start, "... I went to Father's shrine, in the Veins. I wanted to speak with him..." Where once pride would have laced every syllable, humility and sadness replaced it. Perhaps yesterday, she would have told the tale with vigor and spunk, but for now... No. Only humility remained. "But he did not come. Instead, the God of the Spark arrived, and he showed me the most vile of things."

Israfel pulled away from her mother then, hazy orange eyes dropping to the ground, the golden points of her hooves shuffling in a blatant display of uncertainty. Should she tell, of the vision that she was given? "I saw a vision, mother... Of myself, being torn apart, limb by limb, by this unspeakable beast. The God of the Spark, he told me that, that I was feared and loathed, hated, because I was my father's daughter." Here, the pale princess' eyes looked back up to her mother, misery shining in the vermillion depths. "I do not know what he meant, mother... And I just feel so confused. He said that if I remained on the path that I am on, I will meet my fate at the talons of that terrible beast."

A shaky inhale was followed by a slow exhale, as Isra valiantly tried to rein in her emotions. "... I wanted to ask your input on all of this, because... I just don't know what to do."

Hidden Account
Soft chitters rose as Zaffre dropped from the bough he'd perched upon to the stable platform of his bonded's back. Wings tucked in tight, he crept up to balance over her withers and reach out to at last return Israfel's gesture of greeting. As she began to speak he leapt nimbly up and over mare and yearling's heads to land upon Israfel's back. There he stretched out between the joins of her wings and began to croon softly.

Attentive and quiet, Smoke listened to the emotion-wracked words of her youngest daughter. It disturbed her to not hear the familiar pride and spunk in the pale yearling's voice, only an unusual quietness. Ears tilted to catch ear word, and she didn't protest when Israfel stepped back, merely watched with interest.

Dark eyes closed when the last words had tumbled out and a small silence, disturbed only by Zaffre's low crooning, fell. This was not how she wanted to tell Israfel about the circumstances surrounding her conception. Nor had she wanted to say anything too early and turn the Sun's daughter against him. A deep breath expanded her barrel before she let it out in a slow sigh and opened her eyes to regard Israfel.

"There is truth in his words, my dear. Though you will never find it here, that hatred he spoke of. Even if your father's darker side affected many who live here." She paused, considering. "And I suspect I know something of that beast. They are two different stories, your father and the tale about that beast. I will tell you both, if you wish." Dark eyes were searching as they met vermillion ones. "Neither are very pleasant."

Shifting forward, Smoke pivoted to stand side by side, shoulder to shoulder with Israfel. "One takes place here, in Helovia. The other in Isilme, where I and your sister were born and were forced to leave from." Bending her neck, she touched her muzzle lightly to her daughter's neck. "Ask."

Hidden Account
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
Sorrowful vermillion eyes rested upon the familiar features of her mother, watching quietly as Zaffre made the lithe transition between the boughs of the trees, to Smoke's neck, then to his final resting perch of her shoulders. Idly, Israfel raised one gold-hued wing to brush her shoulder joint against the dragon's scaly hide. It was a brush of affection, of thanks, for comfort of those that she knew and loved was all that she truly needed.

Allowing her wing to rest closely to her barell once more, Israfel continued to watch Smoke's expression. The Wild Rose was clearly troubled by her words, and took a moment to debate over how she should answer... But what came from her mother's knowledge wasn't quite what Israfel had expected.

'There is a truth to his words, my dear.' Israfel almost felt sick. There was? Had her father truly done such horrific things that his actions would be held against those of his only daughter? Before her thoughts could wander, Smoke was quick to reassure that none in the World's Edge felt such hate and detest towards her. It lessened the sickening feeling, the weight of the rocks that had suddenly dropped into her gut as if they were falling from the tops of a high cliff. Yet, outside of the Edge... Were there some who loathed her name? If she met them, would they look upon the young demi-goddess with loathing and contempt?

While the thought nestled a fear in the back of Israfel's mind, it also brought forth more questions, but those would be reserved for another time. For now, she listened as Smoke continued on, not wanting to interrupt her mother in a confused stupor when the mare admitted to knowing the beast that she had seen in her vision. Still, the golden yearling's ears perked forward in alarm, crisp orange eyes widening only minutely. She did...? Had Smoke seen that very creature before? And she had survived?

Eventually, both Israfel and Smoke fell side by side, the dark grulla moving to stand beside her pale contrast of a daughter. The demi-god turned her head towards her mother, feeling the comforting touch of Smoke's muzzle upon her ivory neck, and with a trembling breath Israfel gave a dip of her head in a nod.

'Ask.'

"I would like to know," she murmured softly, as if speaking much louder would disturb the world around them. Her mind drifted to the Veins, when the Time God had frozen the world with his power. It was both terrifying and awe-inspiring all in one. "Please, mother, tell me? Tell me what my father has done to warrant such hatred and fear from his people, and tell me of this... This beast. I want to know."

Hidden Account
Quiet pride welled in the Wild Rose's breast as she watched her child absorb the droplets of information she'd shared, wrested with the feelings that arose from them, and still came out of the moment stronger. Ready to learn what she must. She inclined her head in acknowledgement of Israfel's request, but remained silent for several moments more. Deciding just how to go about explaining these two tales that were inexplicable interlocked in more ways that just that they applied to the Sun's daughter.

"You must remember that your father is representative of light, and fire. Both drive away the darkness, and bring brightness to a soul in need of bright comfort. Yet fire burns, and if left undampered will rage out of control. Your father's temper is like fire, and is why many would think ill of him and his child, and thought darkly of myself for a time.

You see, the Dragon's Throat is your father's chosen lands, and they were not always led by Kri. Before Kri, there was Ra, the Sun's Emissary. He and his Order worshipped the sun, and sought to spread their teachings to any and all who would hear. I met Ra, once. A peculiar soul, and troubled. Well. Kri and her Tuuli decided they wanted to have a herdland of their own, for the pegasi from Isilme are ill-accustomed to being nomads. She chose the Throat because she and Gossamer and I were allies, and Onni had already infiltrated the ranks of the Order. In that battle, the Order fell, and so did Ra. Killed, by Voltaic, who also died of the wounds Ra inflicted upon him.

Your father was enraged that Kri usurped his chosen leader, and took his anger out upon us all. Have you seen the clearing here, in the Edge, where the logs beneath the new growth are still charred and blackened? He did that, and more. Many were hurt during encounters with him, and you'll know them for the strange golden markings that adorn them, where his fires burned them. In that long tallsun, for the heat of his anger stretched the season, Moon and Earth convened, and decided to have children as their representatives here in Helovia. Your father learned of this, and when he came to express his wrath on the Foothills where Gossamer and I led, he decided to have a child of his own. He chose me to bear you, brokered a deal that he'd leave my herd and my lands alone in return. And he did. After, he used his magic to reverse the damage of the burns he'd inflicted."

A rueful smile curved her lips. "But it is not quite that simple, that some should blame the child for the deeds on the father. My old comrades were upset with me, thought less of me for having a god's child, regardless of the fact that I did it to protect them and the lands they lived in. Because, you see, you and your cousins are not the first demigods that I and my counterparts have known."

Taking a contemplative breath, she gazed down at Israfel. "It is the story of Isilme, and its downfall. Its gods, and those who they picked to represent their people, granting them greater power than any should know.

Isilme had many gods. Light, Dark, Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. Fox, Panther, Phoenix, Dragon, Bear, and Elk. Bear made the first equine and named him Nieque, granting him complete control over the earth. Dragon made the first unicorn and name him Cinnoru, giving him complete control over water. Elk made the first pegasus and named him Sepagus, granting him complete control over air.

Those three are said to be the grandfathers of the different species, there in Isilme. And they hated each other. Instead of being equal partners in taking care of those who would follow them, they resented one another and warred against each other. The gods were troubled, and together made one who was equal mixture of all three races. He bore wings and horn, and called a dragon his soulmate. He was meant to bring peace between the first three, and he did, briefly. Just long enough for them to destroy him, seeing him as an abomination. And not too long after, they destroyed themselves in battle. But not a one of them stayed dead. The hybrid was cursed by the gods for failing the task they set him, tasking him instead to undead servitude to the living while the ghosts of his three counterparts lingered, influencing events and watching wars being waged in hatred and supremacy, to decide which race was better.

After a time Neique, Sepagus, and Cinnoru found themselves to inexplicably have mortal form again. I've never learned how that came about. And they too decided to have children on mortal mares, passing on their great powers to their sons. Nieque beget Aarde, who was Gossamer's adopted son. He was a good lad, for all his dislike of the ones who bore horns and wings. Cinnoru beget Imiq, and Sepagus beget Cielo. I met Imiq, when he was no older than you, and he was an unpleasant sort, cunning and mean. Even then he had great control over water in all its forms and aspects. A year later he and the other unicorns, who were outcasts at the time, for the equines had built themselves an empire, came and invaded the herdland I lived in. Then again I met him, fought with him. It was he who left the scars on my leg and my rump, though he tried his hardest to kill me.

The herd was lost, and not long after Cielo reclaimed his people's ancestral home and Aarde rose to lead the equines. They were doomed, Israfel, to repeat their father's mistakes. And they did, leading us on a bloody two year's war and destroying themselves in the aftermath. In the end, they not only lost their lives but cost us Isilme as well, for their magic tore a rift in reality, letting the dead back through. And the truly dead, when they walk again, recognize no friends in their animosity against the living."

Her voice fell silent, head bent as her words trailed off so that her mane curtained her face. Old memories surfaced, difficult to stow away again. But after a few heartbeats' passing, she looked up again. "I swore I'd raise you to be better than them, Israfel. Give you an upbringing that would help you surpass the faults others have had before you and that still others would expect you to have. It is good to have pride, but balanced with humility. Too much pride has been the downfall of many a horse, regardless of species."

Dark eyes were searching as they gazed into those of vermillion, wondering if she hadn't done enough, or if these lessons would come too late. Time would tell, she knew. But she wished she could hustle it along a little, to see.

Hidden Account
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
It was... So much. Too much, almost. Isra's pale ears remained alert and poised forward as Smoke divulged the ancient information that she withheld, and the daughter of a Wild Rose and the Sun merely stood stationary and listened. In troubling parts, her ears would tip back, but not in anger. Oh, no... She was merely saddened, for much of this history spoke of such pain and unfathomable heart break that Israfel couldn't even comprehend.

She listened with keen interest of the story of Ra, the Sun's Emissary, and this noble stallion Voltaic, and their ultimate demise. It was what had led to put Kri on the throne of the Dragon's Throat, a bloody and terrible war that she had not been born for. Perhaps that was a priviledge, but as Smoke dove deeper into the tales of her father and his untameable wrath, Israfel couldn't help but be shocked. Yes, she knew that the God of the Sun was a force to be reckoned with and contained a fiery rage, much like she herself did... But had he reallly done such terrible things? At mention of the burnt and charred cleaing in the Edge, these very lands, Israfel gave a dip of her head to signal that yes, she had.

"I have... But I was much younger. I didn't understand what had happend, just that seeing the trees and ground scorched made me kind of... Sad. I had no idea that it was created by father's doing." There was a troubled look to the demi-goddesses vermillion eyes, the fiery orange depths of her irises darkened with trouble. She still loved her father dearly, yes, but... This did change how she viewed him. The world could not survive without light, she knew, but even though fire gave that very element, it was the wrath of the fire that must be respected. Beautiful yet dangerous...

Israfel continued to listen about this tale of Isilme, the name of a land that she had only heard snippets about in passing. A few of the adults that she had encountered had spoken of this land dubbed Isilme, and briefly, in passing, the golden-hued princess would wonder just what had become of it. Little to her knowledge, today would be the day.

Still, as her pale lips remained sealed to not interrupt her mother, Israfel couldn't help but give Smoke a wild and confused look at the notion of there being other Gods. The Gods of Earth, Moon, Sun, and Time weren't all there were? But... how? Still, Israfel kept her mouth shut and listened keenly to the stories of Nieque, Cinnoru, and Sepagus, and then of Imiq, Aarde, and Cielo. All of these names were foreign to her, she knew, but there was a certain weight beneath each of them. They had lived and died, Israfel realized, and they had each experienced life in ways that she could not fathom. Gods... What a fool she was.

Standing beside her mother, Israfel's vermillion depths drifted downwards to the golden shines of her hooves. Weight shifting back and forth, breath entering and leaving her body in calm motions, Israfel pushed her golden hooves further into the dirt. The feathers upon her wings quivered as she digested and soaked in all of this new information, listening of her mother's quarrels and the origins of the scars that marred her legs and hide. So, that was how...

'I swore I'd raise you better than them, Israfel.' Smoke said to her, clearly maimed with pain with the uncovering of old memories. 'It is good to have pride, but balanced with humility. Too much pride has been the downfall of many a horse, regardless of species.'

"Mother..." Israfel was unable to form the words that collected in her throat. They sat there, collecting and forming and all struggling against one another to come out at once, but the only thing that could even push forth from the depths of her maw was an utterly pathetic plea of, "Mama." An endearing word, desperation and fear and uncertainty all rolled into two syllables... Would she turn out like that? Is that what the God of the Spark had warned her of in his vision? Is that why she needed to change? Was Smoke ashamed that her daughter had been going down the same path that those created before her had done? Was there still hope for her?

"Mama... I'm... Very sorry." Tears threatened to fall, swimming in the depths of the demi-goddess' fiery eyes. This was all too much to take in, a whole new world that Israfel hadn't even known existed... Perhaps, if she had been able to see past her own muzzle for a few moments, then it wouldn't have come down to this. "I don't want to turn out like them... And I'm sorry if I've let you down. I never wanted to... I just wanted to make you and father proud of me." Of course, Isra realized now, she had done a poor job of going about it...

"What should I do?" She asked at last, lifting her gaze to meet Smoke's dark eyes. Reaching forward with her muzzle, neck stretching, the daughter of Roses and Light moved to brush her nose against her mother's neck, mindful of her horn. "How can I make a difference?"

Hidden Account
Only briefly did Smoke pause in her recountings, allowing her youngest child the opportunity to speak quiet words admitting to that which the Wild Rose knew. A soft, sad smile curved her lips then, before she continued.

Finally, at last, the tales were told and she waited to see how well Israfel dealt with all she'd just listened to. Ears twitched as the young voice spoke, dark head bending to touch the curve of a pale neck. Back the clock seemed to roll at the plaintive murmur of Mama, making the Wild Rose ache inside, knowing the confusion and fear had been more than partially caused by the stories she'd told. Gently she slung her head over Israfel's neck, drawing the young hybrid close in a reassuring hug.

"Israfel, my dear child. You've never let me down, and I've always been proud of you." Tenderly she smiled down into vermillion eyes as she eased back, tipping her muzzle to reach her daughter's reaching one. "Be kind, be compassionate. Fight to defend yourself, your home, and those you love. Question everything, learn all you can. Remember to listen, remember to watch. And life will treat you well, my child. It is not always easy, and you will question the advice I give you, but remember. Even will all seems lost, there is always another day. It will always get better, no matter what you lose. There is always something to gain." She spoke from experience, voice quivering with echoes of memories. She had lost, lost much. Homes, friends, lovers. But she persevered, gained new homes, new friends. Knew that much would be the same for her children, whatever their heritage.