the Rift

How to Care [hunting]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
And suddenly I was no longer alone.

The weight of the gryphon egg clung to me, tiny egg wrapped in the cautious embrace of prairie grasses and gathered lichen, the net clasped fiercely between opalescent teeth. Steps are tender and gradual as I make my way towards the foothills; I fear staying in the Steppe with my small prize, for the egg doubtless needs warmth to survive. I wish Merakerr were here, to teach me how I should care for her kin.

Gingerly, I lowered the little basket into a pocket of tall grass, keeping a vigilant eye upon the unhatched child even as I surveyed the area. At the base of a great oak, grass rustled; twin peaks shot forward eagerly, bright eyes capturing the flicker of soft brown ears above the ragged foliage. In a smooth movement, I threw myself forward, dark hooves thundering against the dry loam, fierce and deadly should they connect with a tender skull. While the idea of killing creatures was not one that came naturally to me, the circle of life could not be stopped. I was responsible for a predator, now, and so I would find my prey.

Merakerr Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher
Mare :: Other :: 3 ft :: 6
Kachie
The dark mare was destined to have better luck than she might have anticipated, for she was to have the aid of the young gryphon. She'd been far afield when the cries of the egg's parents had reached her, and only come upon the scene of the incident after the fact. So she'd decided to track the youngster's new care-giver, and now was pleasantly surprised to discover Rishima.

Fleet wings carried her down from the skies, and brought her to settle a few feet from the makeshift nest. She was wary of her magic and what the cold might do to an egg that was not wrapped in a nest of body feathers and shed winter fur and animal skins. Appraisingly she watched the tail-end of the mare's predatory dash at unseen prey, and nodded in approval. Then she waited to see if it was successful, and for the mare to notice her presence.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Those ears belong to a rabbit, a very quick one indeed. He hears your approach and darts forward, yet not fast enough to avoid injury. You catch his leg and snap it with your much stronger hoof, making the poor animal screech in pain, trying to hop away.

0/5

The rabbit escapes, unfortunately for it; all it has gained are a few minutes of agony before dying, either by my hooves or just due to its injuries. And so I pursue it as it hobbles off brokenly, lashing out with dark hooves and aiming a solid blow towards the retreating rodent. The crack of its leg breaking beneath me had awoken within a blood lust previously unknown, a fierce realization that it would be my responsibility to feed and care for this child, until it could fend for itself.

As the roar of power recedes from my mind, a rustle of sound is caught. Head snaps up, eyes immediately searching out the nest where I left the gryphon egg. For a moment, the sight that met me was confusing, and I wondered if the father had come back for his child. But this gryphon was larger, and bore a pattern unlike that of the father. A bright smile broke across my face as I recognized Merakerr, and a sigh of relief escaped my lungs. "Merakerr!" I cry back to the hybrid, pleased to see my friend once more, especially now.

"It seems you have a habit for finding me in my times of need," I state wryly, letting my eyes drift towards the unhatched chick. "I have so little idea of what I am doing." I am not afraid to show her my uncertainty, my hope and amusement - she has seen me at my worst already. I do not expect any worse judgement than what she has already made.

I remember the rabbit, and turn back to see if I have succeeded in felling my prey. I have so many questions for Merakerr, but they can come in the breaks of my hunting.

Helovian Ancient
Your next blow to the delicate frame of the rabbit is fatal.

1/5

The rabbit has fallen, and I wish its spirit well on whatever adventures it might encounter in whatever afterlife rabbits have. As I reached down to grasp the limp body between ivory teeth, a flicker of movement caught my attention; still spurred by an oddly predatory instinct, I lashed out, poised to bite down on the fleeing lizard, a fierce snarl seeping out from between opalescent dentiles.

Helovian Ancient
The lizard, trying for an easy meal, had sneaked his way up to your rabbit. Upon hearing the approach of hooves, the bandit tries to make a quick escape, but he is not quick enough. Your teeth close around him and end his life instantly.

2/5

World's Edge Philosopher
Kachie
"Indeed." The young gryphon replied, contemplatively as she watched the mare end the lives of rabbit and lizard. "You ssseem quite capable of prroviding prrey forr the youngsssterr. But I will help, it will go quickerr."

Her gaze had been roaming away, sharp eyes picking over her surroundings with care, and now she sprung upward. Wings flared at the peak of her leap and she powered higher, using the hot air rising from the ground beneath to make the most of her ascent. Then she leveled off, cast about below herself once more. It had been an extremely long time since she'd hunted the creatures of the land, but some skills were easy to adapt.

A deft wing-over and she was plunging down toward a neighboring clearing, attention locked on a small herd of deer sheltering in the shade of the trees. On a yearling doe in particular, resting near the middle of the group. Talons were outstretched before her just in the heartbeat before she flared wide her wings again to slow the dive just soon enough to ensure she wouldn't break something on collision with prey or ground. It would be luck that decided if she'd remembered all the right moves for catching land creatures.

Helovian Ancient
Your skills have not slipped, and as your claws reach for the skin of the young deer, they meet with soft flesh, tearing into it and puncturing the lungs of the poor creature, surely bringing a quick end to its short life.

3/5

Its body snaps under the pressure of my jaw, the life drained from it instantly. A feeling of shock pierces my odd bloodlust, the taste of death strong and foul in my mouth. Life has fallen, breath has ended, and I brought it about. It is not the place for an animal of prey to bring about death, and yet I know that I will have to kill again, before this egg has hatched.

Jaws slide around the felled beasts, the tangy copper of blood rolling across my tongue as a stark reminded of my actions. Somehow, I feel a strange calm against the upset of reason, a numbly mechanical and instinctual sense of purpose. Merakerr offers assistant, and before I can respond she has risen into the air, wings beating purposefully, graceful body thrown high into the evening sky. Eyes remain locked on her as I return to the egg, fascinated by the fluidity and strength to her elegant motions. She dives and vanishes, leaving me with a wistful expression; sighing softly at her natural talent, I turn to drop the felled animals near the unhatched gryphon, wondering how my hatching would appear.

The crunch of footfalls distracted me from my pondering; arcing my neck, I noted at the edge of a clearing an odd creature who appeared completely undisturbed by the odd goings-on of gryphon and horse. The creature, which I did not know was called a nutria, seemed to be busily hunting for some dinner.

Unfortunately for it, so was I.

I snuck around behind the beast, no doubt a harmless visitor to the large rodent. Three paces from it, I suddenly tighten my hindquarters; dark legs release, propelling me towards it, and I rear up above its head before bringing my weight down against the smaller creature, solid hooves seeking to slam into the mongrel's spine.

Helovian Ancient
The nutria, a ball of brown fur, meets its end as your hooves slam down on its fragile neck.

4/5

I drag the nutria back by its tail, retreating to avoid snapping the brittle tail, the plump rodent leaving a vague indentation in the grass. The carcass is deposited among its fellows, and I sigh deeply, growing weary of this chase. The frightening bloodlust which earlier overwhelmed me had died down into a dead calm; turning my back on the egg, I trudged off towards the edge of the woods, determined, if not excited, to finish what I had begun.

The musky odour of snake scales, coupled with an all-too-familiar hissing noise, forced my awareness into a heightened state. Swinging ebon skull to survey the perimeter, I alighted on the source of the sound: a blue and white creature, nearly as long as I, slunk through the dried clearing directly towards where my egg sat. No. Nimble and quick as a shadow, I pivoted and leapt at the invading kingsnake, ears laid back and nostrils contorted into a cruel snarl. Large black hooves fell again and again in an attempt to fell the beast; a kick thrown backwards as my momentum carried me past the thing. Throwing my weight into a halt, I quickly spun around to survey the damage, cursing myself for letting the snake get anywhere close to the unborn kit.

Helovian Ancient
The snake rattles its tail menacingly, but it meets its demise at Rishima's hooves.

5/5

World's Edge Philosopher
Kachie
Taking down the doe was much easier than hauling it back. It was infrequent, at most, that the young gryphon had to carry anything so heavy, so it took her a little while to get a good grip and take to the air again. Every beat of her wings was labored, as the dead weight dragged at her, but she managed at last to bring it back, and drop it amongst the rest of the carrion collected for the hatchling.

Panting, she settled to one side once more, wings fanning slowly as she caught her breath. A careful distance was kept still from the egg, though her eyes studied its contours. "Ssshould prractice doing that morre often. Norrmaly jussst eat fisssh and they don't weigh asss much asss I do." There was an ironic tone to her voice and tilt to her features.

[Can continue with general lessons here, or do so at hatching thread, your choice.]