the Rift

[OPEN] Starfish and Seashells

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

C a t a l i n a

Your going your own way
Walking with your own sway

She woke, lured to life by the promise of new adventure; suckered from the grip of butterfly dreams by the temptation of a fresh morning exploding with the joyful chord of shoreline dwelling birds already poised, eagerly anticipating the impending seep of dawn light through their salt-licked domain. Her starry eyed gaze was immediately wide and alert, a vivid reflection of the distant horizon which readily became the fascinating focus of her attention; iris’s bold and bright like the lightening sky, encased by mysterious deep ocean-blue.

Kanti, her doting mother was there, long lean legs embracing the petite infant's form where she had laid the night prior; protecting the precious existence of her only daughter even in sleep. Catalina was her world, her passion and her love. Burning with the same intimate sentiments, the girl leaned her milk-white face close to the peaceful rise and fall of her mother’s chest, and upon the warmth of the mare’s flat shoulder, she planted a tenderly delicate kiss between pursed, velvet lips. Likewise, she puffed adoringly at Kyan who was tightly nestled between his bonded’s throat and bony, tucked up knee.

Don’t stir yet Mother.” She cooed, the sound of her sweet voice but a soft breath, thieved easily by the crisp nomadic breeze.

Catalina slipped from the comfortably cosy grass nest shared by the trio most nights, stretching each of her spindly legs outward as she lifted alone into the air. She swayed unsteady for a moment on the spot, the scatty feeling only residue from her long, sound sleep. Blood began quickly and efficiently to circulate though, and her young body was restored and ready for whatever activities lay waiting through the day ahead. Passing a watchful glance over her undisturbed mother, the girl moved with baited breath from their den-like, makeshift home- that which harboured such noteworthy, magnificent ocean-views. Looming always in the distance across the bay were the mysterious cliffs bracing the World’s Edge, or so her Mother would explain.

Once clear of the prickly thicket fence surrounding, Catalina burst with unbridled vigour into a bounding canter in the direction of her favourite beach. She had become well accustomed- having learned from the finest, to an unrushed morning ritual of bathing in the cleansing salty waves, before committing to a pampering and lengthy mutual grooming session with Kanti, and also Kyan- she always laughed, because the small marsupial would dither around the water’s edge, having never found much joy in full-body saturation. Normally, he would perch atop her mother’s lofty back to remain relatively dry and warm.

On this morning though, a quite intoxicating urge drew Catalina to wash early; the girl did so obediently, ignoring the excited yen within her which feverishly pushed her to hurry. With trained attention she detailed her slim, youthful figure, though even stretched as far as she could manage, the filly could barely reach to fix the wispy white base of her already long, yellowy-auburn tail.

I’m afraid that will have to do...” She sighed after one last effort to nibble and preen the silky-soft fur coating her breast. “Perhaps Mother will fix my hair for me after breakfast.” Often as a treat, Kanti would thread a flower or otherwise beautiful feature through her mane behind her ear, and she would return the favour with a giggle so that they could match.
Catalina passed an appreciative, sweeping glance across the gentle rush of morning waves as they crumbled, white and foamy across the pale golden sand at her feet. “Thank you.” She whispered kindly. Kanti had skilled her daughter with impeccable manners, and as such, the articulate creature never failed to impress her gratitude to those deserving- equally, she was fearless when confronted with disrespect or ill-intent, confident always to deal them a piece of her clever mind.

With swift, light strides Catalina then strolled down the beach, pausing thoughtfully every so often to aide a stranded starfish, or greet an abandoned seashell.

"Thinking Speaking Acting"

i wake up in the darkest night
watch you breath in shadow light

Note: ...

Arathea Posts: 56
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Other :: 11/17 hh :: 12 HP: 56.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Raven

It was just something with the sound of the rolling waves, the sight of the sun on the surface and the salty smell in the fresh air that had lured the wolf back to the beach. This time she had not found a stranded sea creature to rescue, so after a search up and down the beach, she had put herself further up to get a good view over it all. Snuggled down into the soft sand with her tail around the legs, she just sat there relaxed and watched the wonderful sight that was the beach.

Not before long though, a lonely foal came into view. It made the wolf frown and tilt her head to the side. How curious. Foals were rarely alone and when they were, something was often wrong. Though this one seemed to be in a healthy state and also quite happy, judging by how it moved along the shoreline. Poked by curiosity, Arathea gave a shrug and jumped up from the sand with the help of her hind legs, loping towards the foal on all fours.

She would be a bit behind the foal when coming closer, and kept some distance when she trotted up next to the little filly. "Good morning, young lady upon the beautiful beach. She greeted with a soft smile and hoped the little horse would not be frightened and flee. It would of course not be too surprising, but not worrying a horse for once would be a quite nice thing.

Kanti Posts: N/A
Unregistered
K A N T I

The greatest treasure a mother can receive
is her daughter

I dreamed, dreamed of a world where there was nothing but flowers and sunshine. The air was sweet and clean, and no rain or snow ever touched the greenery that flowed from the ground and gave birth to the sweet life around it. It was just the three of us, and that was all I would ever need. Water and food were plentiful, and we were welcomed by those that lived around us, which consisted of small mammals. Kyan and Cat played together as I sat and watched, no longer feeling the joy of playing as I did before I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. She was a treasure I would never stop loving, and she was all mine. At this moment, I laid in a state of pure bliss, having nothing wrong in my life.

I awoke, nudged by the now familiar face of my little tree kangaroo. We both yawned, having our minds and bodies synchronized in the morning. Despite waking up to such a lovely view and a wonderful daughter, I was not a morning person, and I often slept in to the afternoon if Catalina would let me. Today was one of those days, and the shine was shining high in the sky as I rolled out of our make shift home. Though I normally greeted the sun and the smell of the ocean, I had a slight frown on my face today. How many days had it been since they had been uprooted from the Foothills? Truthfully, did it even matter anymore? My mind said no, but My heart said yes. I sighed, and it had been a long time coming since I had had this internal battle with myself. Though their life as outcasts was not as bad as it had first seemed, still I was fearful. My dear filly was small, and I knew, whether I wanted to believe it or not, that I couldn't protect her forever...but were would they go?

They had many options, but they were oblivious to all the drama that was going on with the other herd lands. Only two stuck to my mind: going back to the Foothills, or going to the World's Edge. I wasn't too happy to come back, knowing that the Grey was a group of Mercenaries, and there was nothing I could offer them. Truthfully, I hated them, and I didn't want them to touch me or my child. The Edge was filled with those that escaped from them, and maybe she would see some familiar faces. But I had too many questions, and it made my head hurt to think about it all. There was not much choice that they had, especially since there was no stallion to take care of them. Sandman was no where to be found, the lying bastard. Even after everything, I still loved him, but I couldn't put my heart to say I truly hated him either. After all, he had given me the greatest gift in the world.

I stand now, my bonded telling me he is going to find Cat while I look for food. We do this every morning, though usually Cat isn't too far away, and it isn't a problem. They play for a time while I gather grass, since I don't want my filly wondering off with me. As I grab a large tropical leaf that I use to haul the grass, Kyan calls me. His voice is panicked, and there is only one word he says: "Wolf".

I stop what I'm doing, dropping my leaf and I run. I run as fast as I can, and I am so afraid. There is no thought about why there would be a wolf on the beach in the middle of daylight, not thought of what type of wolf, just that there was a wolf near my child, my baby. She was behind my child, and I call her name in a panic.

"Catalina! Come here!"

Kyan is before us, between the wolf and us. I am out of breath as I stare at the wolf with wide eyes. She doesn't look like something to fear, but you never know. Am I only trying to do my job after all.

"Who are you? Where you trying to harm my daughter?"

Kyan growls, and I tell him to calm, but be on the ready. It may be that we are jumping to conclusions, but we would found that out.

Speaking | Thinking | Doing

Notes;; From Kanti's pov, and long post is long
Words;;
Tag;;

Unregistered

C a t a l i n a

Your going your own way

"Good morning, young lady upon the beautiful beach.”

Young and credulous; clever and articulate, Catalina turned in a heartbeat to face the owner of the voice who had caught her quite by surprise. Glistening white sand sprayed around the thrust of her pivoting hooves, as she came to settle again before a wolf- perhaps, because as she allowed her roving eyes to examine the strange creature she found a mixture of features that just didn’t seem to align with her eager expectation. The creature was larger than expected; nearing even that of a small horse- or a large foal.

Her legs were misshapen according to the teachings of her quite intelligent mother; they were maybe not quite in proportion to those in the lead- like Kyan’s, she thought roughly, though her expression remained dressed with a pleasant, polite smile. Veering her attention upwards after tracing the length of the wolf’s extensive, horse-like tail, Catalina thought too that her neck was cloaked in a mane much like that of her Mothers, colour and all- the foal would know after, she spent hours fussing over Kanti’s luxurious locks, she had been raised with a diligent respect for beauty.

Hello.Came the young filly’s self-assured reply, as her inquisitive eyes climbed still further to find the wolf’s gaze waiting. “I am Catalina.” She introduced herself as a courtesy, ever the social butterfly. She held a confident grace as she poised patiently on the spot, lacking the fear which undoubtedly one as young as herself should easily have succumbed to. Fearless and possibly arrogantly so, she took a curious step forward and extended her tiny, quivering muzzle in greeting.

I haven’t seen you around before.” She announced heartily and tipped her face, considering. “I live here. With my Mother and Kyan.” Catalina smiled brightly, but their brief encounter soon came to grief when a shrill voice, ordering and panicked burst forth, from behind the wolf. It was her mother, and Catalina stepped to the side to view Kanti thrashing up the beach at a fleet-footed canter.

"Catalina! Come here!" Kyan was leaping ahead, well clear of the spraying sand which parted like a split ocean beneath her Mother’s gait. She slid to a halt beside the filly, breathless and glowering and Catalina nibbled the mare’s sweat-streaked shoulder with a growing look of concern flooding her own expression. "Who are you? Where you trying to harm my daughter?"

Mother wait!” The girl danced on the spot, her long lean legs prancing as she made a feeble attempt to snatch Kanti’s attention. “It’s ok, really...” Catalina didn’t immediately understand the basis for her Mother’s defensive stance, and tried her best to sooth the situation. The mare had told her daughter when they had first settled here, beneath the shadow of the ‘edge of the world’, that no harm would find them here- that they would be safe from those who had stolen their home. Innocently, the child drew this memory to the surface and caressed the fraying nerves beneath her Mother’s shoulder with a delicate breath, and a tender kiss. “We are safe here...

Raven

To Arathea's delightful surprise, the filly did not shriek and ran in panic from the sight of the big, strange wolf. Instead, the little one returned the greeting and Thea stopped to face her completely. Curiosity shone in her eyes as they seemed to inspect each others' features. The filly was indeed a pretty little thing and the wolf's tail started to wag back and forth a bit as she even extended her muzzle.

But just as she was about to stick out his own nose to sniff on said muzzle and introduce herself as well, the little happy spell was broken by awful noises and shouts. Arathea quickly withdrew her head as a growling little beast came into view just before what was obviously the filly's mother.

The happy feeling the filly had given her sank deep into a pool of disappointment and weariness when the mother seemed to assume she was out to hurt the filly. She turned her ears back in a mixed expression of annoyance and sadness. This was not a surprise, for the horses to act like this., but not being able to find a playmate was starting to get to her.

At least Catalina tried to help and Thea gave out a low sigh, leaning back on her haunches where she was sitting in the side, trying to put herself at a distance from the angry mother and the strange other animal growling around. "This one is Arathea and she was not out to hurt the little filly." She turned an ear forward with a slight frown. "Would a predator like to take a foal, it would not walk along side it and say Hi."

Kanti Posts: N/A
Unregistered
K A N T I

The greatest treasure a mother can receive
is her daughter

My heart settles as I see that this female wolf beside my daughter meant no harm. I know I am rude to assume such things, but what was I supposed to think? Kyan and myself calm, and my breathing slows and goes back to normal. My daughter is quick to tell me that I am overreacting as well, and in my young age I am able to keep the face of a calm adult. I smile kindly at her, though I know I will have some explaining to do. I feel the weight of Kyan on my back, and his eyes are looking in the direction opposite of my own, watching for intruders. I am happy to have my lovely kangaroo, as he is always watching so I don't have to. I thank him, and I can feel him smile as he keeps his eyes peeled down the long stretch of beach.

"Arathea, I am very sorry. I've never met a wolf before, and being a simple equine, my first reaction was to be afraid. I can see now I was wrong with my judgement, please forgive me. This is my daughter, Catalina, and I am Kanti. Kyan is my companion, and he is also sorry for overreacting as well. Is is only me and my daughter out here on our own, as her father is not around..."

She looked at her daughter then, her golden and white skin so much like her own, her eyes shining with the same beauty. Catalina was all she had of Sandman, and that was all she wanted. He had done nothing but use her, and it was then that she knew she never wanted to see him again. All she needed was Kyan and Cat, and they both needed her. She was content with that. Her daughter was very clean, and she smiled as she knew her daughter had already washed herself for the day.

"Oh Cat, I see you've washed up today haven't you? What a good girl you are. I need to before we eat breakfast, and I'll find some flowers while I'm getting grass perhaps. Please, Miss Arathea, will you join us? We have a shelter not too far away, and you are most welcomed to come settle down with us for a while and talk if you will. I would like to ask something of you, if I could actually. But it is completely up to you, of course. My actions may seem unpleasant, and I once again apologize. Oh, I'm so embarrassed, really. Come Cat, let's go eat, hm?"

She moved with lithe grace as her golden face nudged her daughter to walk with her, taking a loose piece of her hair in her mouth and trying to place it in it's rightful place, but all it did was fall back. She giggled, looking at her daughter's messing hair with a half smile.

"Looks like your hair could use a brushing, hm? Kyan, will you fetch some food while I wash up, then I'll brush your hair after you get enough to eat. Come now darling, I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

OCC: Guys I'm so sorry, I really am. My hand is doing much better, some personal things came up, my next reply won't take as long, thank you for your patience :)

Speaking | Thinking | Doing

Notes;;
Words;;
Tag;;

Unregistered

C a t a l i n a

Your going your own way

"This one is Arathea and she was not out to hurt the little filly."Cat’s attention snapped back to her new acquaintance, an eased grin pulling her lips apart and she shifted another reassuring glance towards her mother. "Would a predator like to take a foal, it would not walk along side it and say Hi." The filly nodded in favour of the wolf’s explanation, though it probably appeared more childish than she had hoped given the inadequate level of her experience in such matters.

Refreshingly, and immediately alleviating some of the stringent tension which had engulfed the otherwise quiet beach, Kanti seemed to relax a little- though from a maternal perspective it was clear to all that her guard remained unmoved. Kyan took watch then, apparently chilled by the softening of his bonded’s stress and Cat distractedly sought the direction which his lofty gaze had tracked. "Arathea, I am very sorry...” Kanti began at length, though with a drifting attention span, only the child’s ears flipped forward to listen. Quietly she absorbed the apologetic justification of her reaction, learning all the while that wolves were generally feared by the equine population. Curiously, she wondered why this one’s nature defied the logic described. At the mention of Sandman, Cat scoffed faintly- she certainly didn’t consider their relationship to hold such worth after all.

Returning focus to the little morning meeting, a light-hearted smile grew across her milky-white face. Kanti’s devoted gaze was examining her freshly bathed appearance, and instantly she was relieved she had not just rushed off to play first thing that morning. Almost by some invisible cue, the mare spoke. "Oh Cat, I see you've washed up today haven't you? What a good girl you are...” Obediently, the girl nodded, and to her growing delight, her mother invited the wolf- her new friend, to breakfast. It took all her strength to ward off an exuberant giggle; instead she stepped forward to brush her whiskered chin towards the wolf as a show of barefaced trust and affection.

Then, quickly and quietly she turned and followed the lead of Kanti, her brisk trot leaving a spray of white-gold sand in her wake. Despite the mare’s best attempts to groom her daughter, Cat tossed her skull playfully into the air, her already long mane twirling to life by the suddenness of the movement. Come now darling, I don't know about you, but I'm starving." Kanti finished, and her filly sprang forward, calling through carefree bliss over her pumping shoulder- “Arathea! Bet I’m faster than you...” With the challenge set, the filly burst forward through a flailing wave of sand and bucking, galloped as fast as her long, scrawny legs could carry her towards home.

Raven

Mother horse seemed to calm down and Arathea was happy the daughter was on her side in it all and she decided to just sit and absent mindlessly-ish look and this and that while the mother praised her filly and talked on. The adult horse then addressed her and Arathea had to snap her attention back. Ask something of her? She frowned slightly, but her pondering was interrupted by Cat's muzzle extending towards her and she eagerly sniffed at it in return with her tail wagging.

"Mother horse can ask, and wolf will see if she may accept the request." She replied as she got up and started following the horses. Her long legs moved slowly and with flowing steps, her unusual paws leaving large prints on the soft sand. The mare seemed very keen on keeping her filly's mane in order and Thea could nothing but smile slightly for herself.

Then suddenly the little filly called a challenge and set off through the sand. Slightly surprised, it took Arathea a second to react before she pushed away with the long hind legs and started running with long, almost leaping strides. Her large paws made it quite easy to travel over sand, and sand was something she was very used to from her home land. She soon started to catch up with Cat, but deliberately kept slightly behind her.