[PRIVATE] My Sister, My Soul

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

She stares up at him with eyes of almond that hold a doe-like quality. They glimmer like rubies yet are soft as the petals that flourish upon the heart of every bloodred rose. So insecure, so worried, when he was told that yet another impossibly perfect lamb had joined their family. Hototo's handsome features had cowed Cera upon their meeting, and after Midas eagerly informed him of the little miss on the way, Cera knew the child of shadowed blood and radiant gold would be just as brilliant. Would Cera's plainness always give others the ability to outshine him? Would he be the forgotten, unwanted addition? The trip had been prolonged as far as Cera could push it, fearing the tiny newborn more than any monster that could sink venomous fangs into his hide. How long had he managed to evade the encounter? The inevitable depression and turmoil? Weeks, a month? Like a silent pale wraith he had followed his father away from the borders, restless. Thoughts bounced in his cranium like ricocheting bullets, lips unmoving and words not forthcoming as they traveled. Ilaria had fretted over him, worrying and smoothing out his appearance. All the while she sent him wave after wave of comfort and love, knowing just how sensitive Cera was to the notion of abandonment. How inadequate and unworthy he felt in the face of perfection that seemed to follow Ktulu and her offspring wherever they went.

He had stood quietly, head bowed without Hototo to comfort him, as introductions were made. Ranjiri, though he had heard her name enough in the past moons to have memorized every dip and sway of tone that accompanied the spoken title. Pale frost locks shielded vibrant emeralds that refused to look upon the little doll's face. It was clear he was to take her with him, give their parents time to talk and do whatever it was parents did alone together. So he had given her his side, her delicate form a brush of feather and felt against him. Only when they were alone did he finally suck in a breath and move away from her, gazing upon her at last.

Oh, how he had expected to envy her. Feel bitter over this perfect dream she completed, the real child of Ktulu and Midas instead of the half-blooded sons of himself and Hototo. A sink of the heart in the face of her sure beauty, for he could never be more than ordinary. All of this he had prepared for, and yet when he'd finally shifted his forelock and his vision cleared to see her all at once...

Cera fell in love.

Such a tiny cherry chocolate fae, with big innocent eyes that gazed upon his form with curiosity and trust. So pure, as untainted and subtly strong as the gold that coated her hoof to helm. How small she looked, wings not yet grown and horn still sprouting where a tiara ought to rest. A princess, born of a General and a Chieftess, and yet she seemed as harmless and kind as a fluffy chick that merely wanted to be cuddled and loved. So frail, even in comparison to his shockingly thin, lanky frame. In deep carmine irises he saw a world that was untouched with the hoofprints she would leave, a blank slate waiting for the fates to shape her into the lady she would become. Surely she would hold the strength of her dam, and the gentle heart of her sire. Cera saw all this, and yet it paled in comparison to something far simpler, far more intimate.

In her eyes, he saw his baby sister.

Ranjiri was so delicate in her age, untouched and shapeless, ready to be molded. It drew all breath from his lungs in shock, to be slammed to the very core with a surge of all-encompassing love for this adorable babe. The future that had once been so blank to him in her eyes was suddenly filled with images, future possibilities. In them, he was at her side with every step, just as surely as Hototo would protect the one that he could not. He wanted to shower her, drown her, with love. Smother her with it until she could not doubt that at least one soul in the universe loved her unconditionally. Cera wanted to show her the world, and yet protect her from the dangers that had ravaged his physical and mental being. Teach her, encourage and support her. Catch her when she fell, help her with the wings that fluttered at her sides. Lead her when she needed it, and follow when she had grown enough to pick a path of her own. Keep her at his side, teasing and playful.

Cera would never let his little angel be lonely as he had. He would be at her side with even the tiniest whimper of his name from her muzzle.

Oh, how he wanted to bring her to him and never let her go! Big Brother was a term he had never imagined in the titles of his future, but now it was the only one that sounded appealing or meaningful. So as he stared, shocked and blown away by a simple meeting of gazes, he knew that action was required. Ilaria sat calmly upon his shoulders, content and unwilling to interrupt the revelation dawning upon her prince's mind. Like sunshine a smile crossed his lips, never far from his expression with the natural radiance he possessed. Love seemed to shine forth, warming Ranjiri should she desire to bask in it. Cera gave it not only willingly, but eagerly. So much love rested in his soul, his very being, and yet he never seemed to run out. Merely adding more to his family, bringing those he cherished ever closer into orbit until they were trapped in his adoration as well. There would never be a lack of it in his chocolate cherry angel's life.

Thin, stockinged pillars moved closer to the tiny missus he had fallen head over heels for in just one moment, one look. Large wing lifted, pale downy feathers slowly replacing the caramels as he matured. Catching the sunlight and shining silver and frost, hues of beige and cinnamon all creating a canvas of warmth over Ranjiri's small form. Ever careful of the wing attached to the side he stood on, Cera draped his own over her and pulled her gently, gently, to his side. Muzzle dropping to brush and nudge encouragingly at the itty bitty one below him. Exchanging scents, giving an official hello. Body heat kept the faint chill of autumn from touching her, and curious deep, emerald-ringed auburn eyes peered from the space suddenly granted with the drop of his wing. Ilaria chittered softly and left the pair alone, nearly smug in her joy over this development.

Angling the best he could to face her, give her room to breathe should she wish, the yearling kept a feather-light touch upon her frame to keep away something as simple as the elements. Neck stretched elegantly towards the earth, visage soft and bright with love. "Ranjiri...I'm Cera. I'm your big brother. And you're my precious baby sister, my little angel Anji~" he cooed in a soft murmur, as if he was sharing a secret with her. It was as if the world had shrunk to only he and her, nothing more. The gravity of the world had shifted, and instead of being kept to the earth by the one physics declared true, it was she who kept him grounded and centered. His baby sister had, in mere seconds, become the very center of his universe. "I promise I'll try my hardest to be the best big brother, okay? I'll teach you everything I know, and we can go explore, make friends...and maybe even more than friends with how pretty you are, Anji!" Soft giggle escaped him, no longer the feminine soprano of his earlier months, but slowly dissolving into a sweet alto of honey and caramel, soothing to the ears. Playfully he lipped at the closest ear resting upon her crown, pulling away with orbs sparkling mischievously. "But I'll never, ever, ever let you go! I'll be mean and chase all those nasty boys away from you, because they'll never be good enough for you my angel Anji. I love you far more anyways," he whispered, winking conspiratorially and smiling enough to nearly burst the limits of his face. Oh, oh, how his heart sang! How she had changed him so suddenly!

But he couldn't keep her still and attentive forever, she was young and had the energy to match. Perhaps not the stamina, but she would acquire that before she even hit her third month of age. Nudging her gently with the wing that still hung protectively over her frame, he turned and started nudging at her shoulder and neck, enticing her into play. Nothing serious, she was far too breakable in his eyes. But he wanted to give her joy to revel in when he was forced to leave, and wanted to forge as many memories with her in this small amount of time to take with him when he departed. Maybe the memory of her warmth and presence would keep him from feeling lonely when he awoke to find his father absent from his side yet again.

My beloved angel, Anji,

I remember the first time I laid eyes on you. I was so afraid of you, even if you were half my size and no more threatening than a newborn chick. And I remember how you gazed at me with those pretty ruby eyes, so tiny and so perfect. I melted right there at your hooves, wouldn't you believe it Anji? Already you had me wrapped up in you, and right around your tiny little hoof from the first second. I was such a mess, babbling and holding you as if I would never let you go, promising not to.

You know what, Anji? I'll tell you a secret, just between you and I.

I never intend to.

Love,
Big Brother

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   Ranjiri</style>
  give me strength when i'm standing and faith when i fall</style>

Big brother, the first time I met you I remember thinking of how big you were compared to me. Our shadows stood side by side and yours seemed to stretch on for miles while mine stayed close by me. The silly, childish thought that your shadow was big because you'd experienced more in life passed through my mind and I wondered briefly if my shadow would grow bigger with my life experiences. I told you it was a silly notion. Shadows are just shadows.

I was never frightened of you, but I was curious. You looked nothing like daddy and yet you had the same gentle voice and the same gentle way of guiding me. I was not scared when our parents sent us away for the first time together because I knew in my heart that you would protect me, from what I didn't know. To me the world was still so new and full of wonderful things and places that I had to explore. I remember wondering if you would be with me on my adventures, but one look in your eyes and I knew that you would be by my side forever. My big brother. My protector. My best friend.

When you pulled me against your side I remember thinking that you were warm compared to the quickly cooling air that surrounded us. I remember thinking that your body felt strong despite your young age and I found even more comfort in you. Our gazes met and for the first time I was really able to study your face, but it was your eyes that really captivated me. Some say that the eyes are the gateway to the soul and I'd have to say it's true. I could nearly read your thoughts as I looked into your eyes. I could see the emotions swirling in their depths and it made me reach out to you, to touch my gold tinted muzzle against your own.

I smiled then, I don't know if you saw it, but it was the first time I smiled at you. You always make me smile, big brother.

You kept your wing draped over me as you began to speak. I knew you wanted to look at me as you spoke to me, but I wanted to cuddle against your side and that's what I did as I listened to your voice. Not everything I understood, but I heard the unconditional love in your voice and though I had yet to speak I hoped you understood that I already loved you just as much if not more. If you didn't know it then you figured it out shortly after when I begged for you to not leave the Foothills, but like daddy your home is in the Throat. I'll come visit you when I'm big enough to leave the Foothills on my own, but until then you'll come to visit me, won't you?

You said you would try your hardest to be the best big brother, but you don't have to try that hard. Even when you make mistakes you'll be perfect in my eyes because mistakes are little imperfections that make us all unique and perfect in our own way. I hope that makes sense to you and doesn't just sound like childish babbling like it probably does to momma and daddy. The first time I giggled was when you said you would chase all the nasty boys away. As if I'd want anything to do with them! I'm only a baby and boys are the least of my worries, silly brother. My only worries are when I'll see you and daddy again and if you'll stay with me longer than a few hours.

I'll keep asking you to stay with me. I hope one day you'll give in and move here to be with me forever.

As much as I liked listening to the sound of your voice and as much as I wanted to hang from your every word I'm still a child. When I became antsy you released me and nudged me so I would go. I hesitated, lingered at your side before I wandered away a few steps on my spindly legs.

I'm off now, running through the grassy fields of the Foothills, leaving you behind me, but I know it won't be for long. Soon I'll hear the pounding of your hooves behind me, you'll overtake me and then I'll be chasing after you in an endless game of catch. Or, well, until I get tired and flop on my side in the grass to snooze while you graze close by. Either way you're with me and I'm happy.

Credits

aud pixel!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

Even as he had shielded his soul from her while they traveled in silence- one she could not break understandably just yet- there was never an ounce of hesitation in her soft flesh, still so untouched by the elements. Scraped knees and tears would both come as her legs grew and her balance shifted, but Cera would be there to pick her up and dust her off, kiss each scrape until she felt better. Tiny scars still stained his own, after all, and if he could prevent her from stumbling at all he would. Loneliness was a thief, and his pockets had been repeatedly picked of contentedness and importance ever since his mother- a faceless damsel he could no longer recall as he briefly could in younger days- had left him tiny and defenseless within the borders of the desert. Cera would be her bodyguard from that terrible demon, and his twin brother Depression. As sure as he knew the sun would set and rise once more, he knew that with the combined efforts of himself, Hototo, Midas, and Ktulu, Ranjiri would never be lonely. Even if Cera would take extra care to make sure she had him at her side as much as possible, despite knowing their homes were not shared. If it meant flying out every day, he would, just to spend the day and a few hours of twilight with her, if only to guard her dreams.

Deep garnet finds him and remains, and barely visible he witnesses a tiny curl of her lips, delicate as a butterfly's wing and far more precious than any magic or metal. His Anji is smiling at him, and for a moment they are two glowing fireflies. Casting light together, uncaring of whatever else surrounded them so long as they could keep each other happy and bright. And with her pressing so close, desiring his side and embrace, Cera's heart fluttered and flickered just like one of those vibrant little bugs. Indulging not only her but himself as well, he pulled her close until her fast, flitting heartbeat hummed against him like the wings of a hummingbird. She hung on every word, and he no longer felt the chill of autumn winds himself with the warmth that bloomed all over and inside him. Twining roses that he envisioned from her loving gaze into his ribcage, jade and crimson on pearl. Weaving herself into the very heart of him, leaving no place untouched with her love and gentility.

How he wishes to stay, to wrap her up and sleep between her and Hototo for the rest of his days, safe under the careful watch of Midas and Ktulu. It was a dream, and he knew it. His heart longed for the open skies and endless changing sands of the Throat, even if the sheltered forest was just as beautiful. Midas belonged there just as surely as Cera did, but it made him ache deep inside to know he could not simply stay. Soak in the love that surrounded him at every angle. Couldn't wake up to Hototo's hushed words, or hum Ranjiri to sleep. Though the same age, he had always felt far younger and more dependent on Hototo despite the differences in their natures. It hurt, to know his family was so close and yet held so far from him. Calling them by such an intimate title only made it worse, knowing it was no longer he and Midas. Did he regret it? Of course not, he would never regret having Hototo and Ranjiri in his life. If only two could become one, and he didn't have to spend cold nights with Midas as his only source of warmth, the anchor that kept him sane when the darkness threatened to swallow him whole.

These thoughts only saddened him, and so he watched with a wistful smile as Ranjiri took a few tentative steps away from his protective hold. Seeing her wobble made a lump lurch into his throat, the desire to rush forward and steady her like a worried mother hen nearly crushing him. If he did, though, she would never find legs of her own on the metaphorical path she would soon start carving out. As much as she could always rely on him, she had to find that inner strength just as he had. The same he saw in their parents. Heart lurches once more when she begins to run, spindly legs and frail bodice seeming so breakable as she moved away from him in a whirlwind of excitement that would surely leave her tired. Laughing, the patchy youth let a smooth canter fall from his legs, catching up to the newborn with ease. Crown lowering, eyes playful. As he passed her, he brushed the tips of his flight feathers against her as if tagging her. Soft lips curled in a grin, Ilaria upright and staring over at the babe, making soft noises of play to encourage her. The yearling never went too fast, always sure that Anji could catch him every once in a while.

Bleak, pale sunlight painted them in the patterns of the shifting leaves, and his laughter and her soft noises became the music to their dancing. Cera led her and then turned to chase, a circle that would only end when she would have no more energy to spare. Only then would he bathe her in the flowers he had seen, tie them loosely into her locks and hold her as she slept, never far away.

Dear Anji,

Today, I wondered if you and I would ever fight. Surely siblings fight sometimes? That means it is nearly inevitable. Yet something so modern, so natural, does not pass by me unnoticed. My chest burned, inflamed by the simple image of anger and hurt burning in your garnet eyes. I never want to yell at you, my little angel. I promise that if we ever fight, I'll take the blame no matter what.

I couldn't live with you angry at me, I would be a wreck before you had even turned to leave.

Let us be like two halves of one whole. Let there never be enough in this world to turn us against each other.

Love,
Big Brother

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   Ranjiri</style>
  give me strength when i'm standing and faith when i fall</style>

You were my first game of chase, big brother. I admit that I didn't quite understand the concept at first and though I was the first to run away from you I didn't know how to feel when you passed me. My feelings were hurt and I thought you were already leaving me behind, but you came back to me. I think it was then that you became my rock. Every boy I met I compared to you and Ani (Hototo). None of them ever came close to being as important to me as my big brothers.

Our game of tag felt like it lasted forever. Everytime I tagged you you tagged me back. I know you slowed down to let me catch you and I loved that. We played for hours, but you let me rest on occasion. I took more than a few naps, I'll be honest. A few times when I woke I felt guilty for being a sleep and wasting our time together, but you never made me feel guilty about it. I guess even though you were young, too, you understood the needs of a newborn.

When the afternoon began to change to evening I remember feeling a heaviness in my heart because I knew you would be leaving with daddy to go back to the Throat. As we walked back to where we left momma and daddy I dragged my hooves, leaving lines in the dirt that lead back to the meadow we had played tag in. I didn't want you to leave, but you knew it. Daddy knew it. Momma knew it. Daddy never was one to want to stay gone too long from the Throat and momma had given up on trying to get him to stay. I think she was coming to accept that they wouldn't be together forever. They were both so different and had such different loyalties. Sometimes I still wonder what made them come together to create me.

I never wanted to hurt daddy's feelings, but at that time I wasn't too worried about him staying. I already knew his answer would be no. My focus was on you, my new big brother. "Stay?" I asked you, my voice cracking with both hope and sadness. I gave you puppy eyes for the first time to try and make you stay. My first time using cuteness and guilt to my advantage. I bet you were hoping that I wouldn't make a habit of it.

"."

Credits

aud pixel!