the Rift

[DROP] Squabbling Squabs [Species Specific Companion Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
[The season is Orangemoon, the scene the Deep Forest in the dead of night. Two vampire pigeons, known simply as the dumb one and the mean one, who, despite their names, share these traits equally, are hungry for a meal. They have successfully stolen a mysterious egg from its unattended nest, but are now struggling to transport it back to their home so they might feast.]

"Ugh, this thing is heavier than it looks."
"Talking about how heavy it is doesn't make it any lighter, now push!"
"You want me to push it? Oh, I'll push it!"
"Watch out!"

[The egg slips from beneath the wing of the dumb one and begins to tumble down a hill. Flustered, the mean one flies down to catch it, but a rock has already broken its fall. The dumb one flies down and tries to bite the egg, but instead chips a fang. The egg seems to have turned to stone as a form of protection.]

"Ow!"
"Great, look at it now. You ruined it!
"Well I'm not the one who decided to eat out, am I?
"Don't turn this one around on me!"
"Why not? It would probably still be happily nested with its mother right now if you hadn't gotten a hankering for a gourmet snack."
"Quiet! What if someone hears you?"
"Oh, right, like its mother is going to track us down and kill us for stealing her kid and turning it into a rock."
"...that sounds exactly what an angry mother would do, you featherbrain! Now shut up and help me move this, maybe we can fix it when we get it back to the den."

[The two begin to push against the stone egg in vain, it is far too heavy to move with a simple push. In the distance, there is a yowl and a rustling of leaves. The vampire pigeons both turn at the sound.]

"Uh-oh... you don't think..."
"You're kidding yourself. We were really, really sneaky. I don't think she saw us."
"Well, all I know is there's no way we're going to be able to move this. It's solid as a rock."
"It is a rock you idiot!"
"Well, rock or egg, there's no way we can move this on our own."

[A new character enters the scene...]

THE FIRST TASK: Help the vampire pigeons move the egg

This is a special companion drop for a common species specific companion.

The rules:
  • To join, you must post to this thread within the initial 96 hours opening limit. To win, you must continue to post within the 72 hour time limits posted throughout the thread.
  • Please specify in your post what your companion choice would be.
  • To win, you must not have another companion unless you have the 2 companion bond prize
  • To win, you must have had a species specific mythical companion on your character's wish list for 1 month or more
  • Dopplegangers cannot win the prize, but they can participate
  • Your character must attempt to carry out the tasks assigned in this thread (Those that do not will be allowed to post in the next round as an observer if they wish and do so within the time limit, but will not be considered for the prize)
  • Be creative! Simple solutions aren't always the answer.

Process explanation:
This is a hybrid dice roll and task oriented drop. Characters will be presented with questions and tasks that they must answer and carry out within the time limit. If your character fails to do these things at all or within the time limit, they will be taken out of consideration for the prize, and may only post thenceforth as silent observers. The winner will be decided by a die roll picking from those remaining in the final round.

Entrance period opens now and closes on 5/20/13.

Semira Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Yearling
Kachie
She'd heard stories about the forest to the east, where Mother and Father had founded the group that was the Qian. That was her extended family. And it had piqued her curiosity, so that she begged Father to take her (and Sister of course, if she wanted to go) to the Deep Forest. For a long time he'd resisted, not wanting the twins to venture so far. Until at last he relented, and took her on the long trek across forest and plain and river crossing.

For a long while she was content to follow in his shadow, but her curiosity made her bolder. Farther and farther afield she wandered, ever mindful of where Father was. That is, until small voice caught her attention. Interested, she investigated, ears tilted keenly forward to make sense of the small voices. She listened, but didn't really understand what they were talking about. A distant yowl went unheeded, confident was the young dragonsister in her Father's not quite as distant presence.

In the end she almost tripped over the two pigeons and their unwitting prize. "Oh! Sorry!" She backtracked a few steps, lowering her head toward the two peculiar birds. "Whatcha doing? What do you want with that?" Her vocabulary had no word for the object they had been pushing against, for she'd seen nothing of its like before. Except Suli's egg, but that had been green, and this was not. Or so she thought. It did look dirty. Maybe it was green? Or maybe it was supposed to be that dirty color. She sniffed at it, but was unable to determine if it had anything else in common with Suli's egg other than shape.

Companion (4/13/2013)
:: [Companion: Rougarou | Flame or Shadow]

Sakura Posts: 41
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: Two Years (at time of death) Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Sakura</style>

How I had slipped back out to the Deep Forest without being followed was beyond me. Last time I had been here the WingLeader Destrier had followed me and gained his Green Dragon Suli. Now it was high time I tried to explore again. My longer legs stretched out as I ran. I had grown up a bit since then and wanted to see where the Qian had gotten their start. After all if I was going to grow up in the Qian and be apart of the family, I wanted to see where it all began.

The moment I enter the forest however I can hear voices. It's the middle of the night.... Who would be out here in the middle of the night... Cautiously I move forward, flinching at the sound of the yowl. Then again, I was a six month old now. surely I could take on any attack. Then there was my magic... I could always sooth the threat away. I continue on, and come upon the scene. It's a strange scene. Two strange bat creatures seemed to me squabbling over a rock.... or was it an egg? I couldn't be sure. Either way I was sure going to find out. "Everything ok? Maybe I can help you?" It was only then I noticed they were not alone. I was not the first to arrive. Semira, the silver scaled daughter of Mirage and Vikram was already there. Light green eyes took her in as I continued to figure out what was going on.

Grandfathered :: [Companion: Dragon | Fire]
Turned down - http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=6923 - Abandoned Emerald

"talk talk talk"
MY HEART IS EVER AT YOUR SERVICE.
credits: how-you-remind-me and phototori @ deviantart.com

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Generally speaking, Birdsong was favoured by the larger flora population as a time to rear their darling blossoms and blooms alike; given the abundant rainfall, warmer temperatures and lengthened hours of glorious sunlight. The growing season harboured all manner of new life, offering a sanctuary of sorts nurturing and tender.
At the other end of the spectrum, though not as cruel as the bitter breath of Frostfall, nor as scorching as the relentless heat of Tallsun; Orangemoon blanketed the vast emerald forests and lavish wilderness’s alike in a vivid cloak of burnt-orange and red; shrivelled auburn and lifeless grey. Autumn’s withering touch was like a plague cloud, with wicked winds whispering through dying foliage, stripping their spirit and casting skeletal bodies as litter to waste across the floor. In many respects it was a sombre epoch, when the frail looked with baited breath towards impending demise; their existence shadowed grimly by the onslaught of the winter to follow.

Amidst the austerity of twirling leaves and unhinged life however, the young dapple grey Pegasus ventured from the sanctuary of the tropical oasis- the very essence of her homeland. Her life was quiet, unlike so many around her who hustled and bustled through the daily monotony of their existence; duty a plug in their ears, liability a mask across their eyes. She was burdened with neither, her fluid imagination at liberty to soak up the splendour of the natural world around her. And the sparkle of her eye witnessed not only the death and despair of the shrivelling woods through which she adventured, but the secret unforeseen birthing of another sort.

Mould grew thickly where the leaves fell to nourish the moist forest floor, the scent of it thick and musty as Africa’s careful tread fell against the bare loam. Moss, its delicate presence so soft like velvet, colonized the pebbles and rocks which were scattered by the thoughtless step of those who found no time to notice. The young mare did though, and the tender brush of her lips passed across the subtle carpet of shadow-kissed green with unspoke admiration- not many of its ‘kind’ were able to stand so enduringly against the turning season.

Down here where the wind did not stir crumbling leaves and sunlight could not dry, Africa explored alone.

She had travelled much of the late evening southbound, beginning amongst the pungent Threshold whose crooked spindly pines grew weary in their old age; creaking and swaying as midday spewed forth a cold wind, pregnant with the first snow. The earth there was already burnt by frost- the sparse, canopy of needles offering little protection through night, and Africa had delved ever deeper, following the rich earthen aroma of unmistakable decay.

As the darkest hour settled across Helovia, her mottled form had slipped beneath the dank perpetual shade of an unfamiliar forest, moist and dense whose base remained relatively oblivious to the chain of life above. Down there it was unnervingly dark, and when the milky-moonlight found access, the pale light still offered little aid to the foreign traveller. Spores and dust collected in the subtle shafts, dancing with life and vigour and ignorant to the world outside their peaceful domain.
Quiet and ever respectful she stepped, collecting a variety of delectable morsels; exotic mushrooms, the smooth furry fingers of rabbit-foot ferns, and the brittle shelves of golden fungus which clung to the broad bases of ancient tree trunks.

Thank you,” She would whisper graciously, even before her lips gently broke the fragment away. For a moment she would lay the prize at her feet and nurse the wound left behind with rotten leaves- as though such might spawn and nourish new growth. Tenderly she carried her collection within a large ‘gunnera’ leaf, across which she had conveniently stumbled- the size of which had astonished even her.

"Quiet! What if someone hears you?" Unsuspecting, hushed voices attracted her attention and cupped ears flicked forward with interest towards the direction from which the sound had come. "Oh, right, like its mother is going to track us down and kill us for stealing her kid and turning it into a rock." There were two, small and of a higher pitch than any horse she had ever conversed with. Her vulnerable curiosity, intertwined with the bickering nature of the conversation echoing through midnight tranquillity, compelled her forward- before though, she gathered the corners of her leaf around her edible assortment, and lifted it together skilfully between the delicate clasp of her teeth. "...that sounds exactly what an angry mother would do, you featherbrain! Now shut up and help me move this, maybe we can fix it when we get it back to the den." Through broad, fluttering nostrils she tested the stagnant air and she picked two horse’s through the otherwise unaltered, natural deep-forest odour.

Not long afterwards, Africa stepped through the huddle of two large bushes to find the dim silhouettes of two fillies, both questioning, both apparently focused on a small spill of moon-washed shale at the base of a little exposed hillock. Slipping from her cover to stand opposite the youths, the grey mare noticed the object of their attention with a startled jerk of her white face.
There was any number of fantastically exotic wildlife dwelling in the oasis, yet these bird-creatures were beyond her experience entirely. Their dark, creepy forms were fussing suspiciously around a seemingly smooth oval rock, ordinary looking she thought to herself. Africa peered between all present at that moment, a little bewildered.

Evening...” She whispered after placing the filled-leaf on the ground to rest against the incline of her cool hoof. She remained conscious always of the choking silence around them, and her manner was a courtesy to the creatures sleeping snug in tree or hole, hidden in the group’s surroundings.

4 (april)-5-13:: [Companion: Zephyr | Roc]

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Irrydae Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: Seven
paddeh

Irrydae
"What do I seek? Why, isn't that a secret?"
"Maybe you'll find out in time - maybe I, will find out in time."

Irrydae had awoken by her pool as normal, she had had no dreams this night. In a swift movement and rustle of feathers she was up on dusted gold hooves that clacked against the stone as she made her way out of the cave. She let fresh air fill her nares before she trudged on. She decided toady she would make her way to the Threshold today.

The star mare had flown instead of made her way there on foot, it was faster anyways, and the Foothills wasn't far from the Threshold. She had searched the thinning forest for hours on end but had not come across one person. That was strange, but she shrugged it off. It was nearly night, and the aurora borealis started to stream from her wing tips, lighting up the night. Before long she realized she was on the south side of the Threshold rather then the north. She let out a sigh but did not turn around, and decided to venture further. She had been further from her home before, it wouldn't be the first time, and she wasn't tired anyways. She had gotten a long, nice dreamless sleep in and was still full of energy. She had taken a pause mid afternoon at a small stream to eat and drink, so she was content and comfortable. The night was not cold, at least she didn't feel cold, and she moved along at an easy lope, feeling like she could go for hours. The trees started to get more frequent and packed, and it was considerably darker. The scents around her started to shift and change and she realized she was entering the Deep Forest. A light grin played across her lips- not out of fear, but out of slight excitement. She had never been here before and she pranced slightly, unfurling her wings before pulling them back to her slender bodice. Powerful muscles coiled under her pelt as she weaved through the trees in the weak moonlight, artificial northern lights swirling out around her.

She paused instantly at the sound of voices. I can't distinguish them at first, but I move forward silently, the array of colors disappearing instantly. I then hear a thump and tune my ears to the voices. '"Quiet! What if someone hears you?"
"Oh, right, like its mother is going to track us down and kill us for stealing her kid and turning it into a rock."
"...that sounds exactly what an angry mother would do, you featherbrain! Now shut up and help me move this, maybe we can fix it when we get it back to the den." '
Stealing her kid? I take a step forward, trying to peer across the dark landscape. I hear grunting before rustling and a guttural cry from the distance.
' "Uh-oh... you don't think..."
"You're kidding yourself. We were really, really sneaky. I don't think she saw us."
"Well, all I know is there's no way we're going to be able to move this. It's solid as a rock."
"It is a rock you idiot!"
"Well, rock or egg, there's no way we can move this on our own." '
I could help. That's her first thought. Or they could leave and the mother would retrieve her child. Then she sees it, a large egg that seems to be textured like a stone. Or I could take it. The thought crosses her mind. I would have my own companion then, right?

Irry chooses to help them. "I could help you." The star mare glides out of cover to see two pigeons. Pigeons? They definitely could not move this rock on their own. "If not by strength, then by magic. I have two abilities, and one might be able to move it." She brainstorms in front of them, and she hadn't even notice the three others. Her golden orbs glance over to them, one just a tiny baby. And there was another foal. All mares, one adult pegasus. Were they here for the egg too? She assumed so. It was then she set in her mind that this would be her egg. As if a motherly instinct set into drive, a flip switched. If this was even a egg! She nodded to the others before turning back to the pigeons, realizing they weren't saying anything but greetings. "And if any of that doesn't work, we could try to disguise the egg, hide it essentially, while I ward the mother/beast/thing off. I have magic that could probably hold back or scare it off. I could fight too." She finishes smoothly, words gliding out of her mouth without a second thought. It was her job to help these two pigeons- who looked odd- and then after that, if she had to, take the egg. She wouldn't, after all her hard work she planned on doing, let them eat the poor thing. "I am here at your will."

"talk talk talk"
(Grandfathered) :: [Companion: Zephyr | roc]

[Image: wu5k41.png]
please tag irry in every post! magic & aggression allowed w/o death

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 4hz8ty.jpg]
Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

She hated being lonely, however that's how life was at the moment for Arah. She had gone for a walk, and decided that she wanted to check out The Deep forest. She'd never been here before and was interested to see all of Helovia. The trek from The Basin had actually been quite pleasant, it gave her time to think and plan her next life's move. She was mid thought, walking through the forest, when she heard angry voices. The Impersonator had trotted over rather quietly. Hiding in the shadows was what she was practically good at. Hidden behind a practically thick thorny bush, she watched the two rather creepy looking birds squabble. She didn't approach them at first because she wanted to study them, figure out what the heck was upsetting them. Was that an egg? Looking at the rather large egg Arah tried to determined what kind of creature would be inside the hard casing. Only coming up short with no ideas, she turned her attention back to the birds that appeared to be trying to eat it. She wacthed it tumble down the hill and then the other bird try to swoop down and try to break it's shell to devour it. Well, egg's gotta hatch but evil birds gotta eat. At first she wondered if she should just leave the bloodthirsty pigeons with their egg. No, she shouldn't after all a baby was in that egg. Now was her moment to step up, she would pretend to befriend the birds and gain their trust, then save the egg. Only through their fighting and raised voices another creatures appeared. The first one wasn't exactly an equine however, covered in scales she looked to be part dragon. Then another pale mare and then finally the mare she knew to be Africa.

Sighing Arah got up from behind the bush and carefully made her way around the thorns to the already formed group. She watched the interactions between the group but still did not speak. The birds seem to be struggling to move the egg along. Arah frowned and looked around the forest walking over to a large old tree and using her teeth she stripped off a large chunk of bark. It was about as thick as her leg and covered in sap. She then did the same thing four more times, stripping bark from the tree. Next she scooped up some tree sap on each of the edges and stuck it together to make a container for the egg. Something to pull it with...she spotted some vines and trotted over to rip them off from a tree. Vines in her mouth, Arah and also struck them into the tree sap and made a make shift lead. It was long enough that two larger creatures could pull the egg in the makeshift box with their teeth. Once the egg was in the container it would be a lot easier to move around, not to mention safer. The bottom of the box would eventually wear out, but she hoped that by then they will have frightened off the birds. By the time she returned another pegasus had entered the fray. Arah dragged her box into the little meeting and presented it to those around her. "Not saying we have to roll with my idea." But as no body had suggested anything else apart from the mare with magic. "I was thinking you use your magic to gently lift the egg into the box." She looked to the gorgeous mare beside her. "Then all of us can take turns dragging it to it's final destination."

Seeing as Arah din't have magic to help her out with problems she faced, she was used to being creative. She smiled around the party openly willing to take on any other suggestions. So far she just felt confident that with perhaps a little more tree sap and help from the other creatures that surrounded her, they would gain the birds trust and then be able to save the egg from them.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.
Notes; [Companion: White Griffin | » Draining Clutch ]. I wasn't sure if we were meant to do an introduction post or just jump right into round 1 so I kinda did half and half. I presented my idea but if round 1 is next time we post I'll still be able to draw on this post. :3
Words; 678

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Nayati Posts: 116
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: four years
Rathunax :: Common Red Dragon :: Shock Breath cailyn
There is a deep contentedness within her soul lately, a sense of completion and growth that makes her feel wiser and older in so many ways. Disappointment over not becoming the protector of the egg within the forest had not even washed over her, instead wishing Destrier a firm good luck in his travels. After all, why should she be? The little one would be in the hands of a strong, wise, kind soul who had left a good impression upon her. She had left with a calm joy, the fairies that she had grown so attached to weaving little trinkets within her mane that had made her blush with a humble thanks, cherishing them deeply. And with love they had granted her a magic to aid her in whatever path she traveled, petting and comforting her. Nayati missed them dearly, but only need gaze upon the wooden beads and pale glass leaves to remember their kindness and generosity. She had taken to visiting the shadowed forest frequently, checking on the fish pool and rotting trees, becoming a tender of the forest even if it was more for her own enjoyment and care for her patron. It had become her safe haven, and with it so close to the home that had temporarily opened to her, it was the perfect place for the pale princess.

That day found her in its depths once more, never afraid of its darkness and looming pines, leaving her trademark trail of flowers as she wound her way down a path she hadn't set. It seemed, however, that the forest she so adored attracted far too much attention at the strangest of times. A frown crossed her feminine face as squabbling was heard, vicious little words in vocals of screeching glass and cackling mockery. Wary but intrigued she angled towards it, this cacophony of sound that drew her in. What was it? Or rather, who? The sound was tinny, small, but soon others weaved between, interrupting and following like little melodies that were far larger and smoother than the ones that had first broken the air.

It seems there is yet another crowd.

Sighing, the spotted youth strode comfortably towards the group, recognizing only one, the other little lady that had been present at the emerald dragon's giving away. But her crimson irises focus on the two odd birds, audits flicking to catch every word, even the ensuing growl of rage that echoed somewhere deeper. One foal, glittering in scales, merely seems intrigued, while Sakura- was that her name?- asks if she can aid them. A third, a mare older than the first two, merely greets. Two more enter, one proposing an idea but remaining still, and her follower coming with a little constructed box, proposing yet another idea. With a gentle sigh the frail spotted fae moved forth, bright alabaster locks dragging and dancing on the earth below, forever pure and unsullied. The situation became clear to her quickly, not only through the counterproductive squawking of the hungry beasts, but through observation as well. Giving a slight nod and smile to Sakura, the dotted dame approached quietly. There was no time to waste, for the birds, the egg, nor the horses gathered around. "The mother is clearly close and sounds quite enraged, now is not a time to dawdle or we will all be punished by her wrath." Nayati had long stopped worrying over how others would react to her maturity, knowing her mind was far older than her body could convey. Speaking of the mother's wrath, her gaze turned to the starry fae that had spoken in a manner Nayati was wary of. Soft coal lips curved down minutely in disapproval, but when she spoke the tone was that of a disappointed elder, shaking their head at a prideful child. Soft, unassuming, certainly not an attack or insult, but blunt and to the point.

"Fighting off the mother is foolish to me, and I implore you do not for our safety as a whole and your own as well. An enraged mother is only ten time stronger, especially regarding her offspring. From what I heard earlier, she does not seem a small foe in the least. We also have young ones about, who I refuse to tell to run when they deserve a chance at bonding as well. Putting them in danger is cruel and shameful, and I worry for your health should you take on a creature that may be unlike anything either of us has seen." Wasting no time, she moved on. The galaxy painted woman could choose whether to be insulted or not, though Nayati had only spoken the honest truth and refused to take it back. Instead she turned her gaze to the kindly faced alabaster maiden. She had made a rather good impression, constructing a useful device and even proposing teamwork.

Frail little legs drew her closer to the egg and basket, flickering her orbs up to the smiling mare for a moment. "I cannot say how useful my own will be but I will offer you my magic. If you want to use your own I implore you do so, but I have no knowledge as to what it is from your words." The last portion was tossed kindly, almost distractedly, to Irrydae. Shielding her eyes from the world around her she blackened her gaze, soft smile twisting on her features once more as she recalled the kindly whispered words of the fairies. Reaching deep into that memory she felt for the connection, the gift they had planted within her. Grasping and singing out, a silent summon. Tempting and cajoling, alluring and inviting. When new movement alerted her audits her eyes were revealed once more, and before her were two creatures of nature that had come at her call. One in the form of a fox, the other a weasel. The third had not been called, fearing the talons would harm or be useless on the moving of the egg.

Without needing to be told they began their task, taking opposite sides of the egg and pushing up and towards each other in an attempt to lift it. Nayati, anxious with the dwindling time, turned to the two young ones. "Together or alone, will you find a branch, hopefully with green leaves still attached, that is broken off and bring it here?" Uncomfortable with how much she was speaking, and not wanting to seem bossy or as if she was the leader, she gazed among the adults. "The bottom of this basket will not last. If we slide it onto the branch, the leaves and branches will take the most of the damage before the wear and tear will let the battering begin on the basket. What do you think?" Oh how awkward she felt! Only wishing to aid them, help them out of the forest and send them home happy and in one piece. Nayati only cared for the safety of those currently surrounding her, and that of the egg. Moving she slid a hoof beneath the egg, trying to create leverage or a small gap to lift it further. Anxiously her mane was shifted, forelock constantly changing position as Nayati glanced towards the area the angered roar had come from.

Uncomfortable, she turned to the two birds, trinkets and flowers catching the light. "Help us help you, please? Can one of you fly overhead to scan for a fast route, and the other stay with us to direct us? Where are we taking this egg? If you aid us, I will tell you all I know about the best prey areas, I know this forest well. Please sirs," she pleaded, ankle uncomfortable but uncaring. This may not be her forest, but it sure felt like it by now, and she was reluctant to let anyone get hurt if she could help it.

//ooc: had to rewrite most of the ending three times on my phone and get on my laptop finally around one am to finish this, so if it's crap or has errors I am so sorry. That's also why no table.
Kaj post probably won't come since the deadline will likely be right when my school gets out :/
Denied at Green Dragon Drop
[Companion: Dragon | Frost] Any Color

the rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but they also loved the dark, 
where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Helovian Ancient

[The two vampire pigeons huddle close to each other in suspicious fear as others arrive. They squawk and begin to peck viciously at the ground in front of Semira as she stumbles onto them, puffing out their chests in a display of dominance.]

"Hey, this is our egg, watch it."
"Now that it knows we have an egg it's going to squish us, great."
"Yeah right, this one's little. It can't hurt us."
"It's also part dragon. How much do you want to bet it's an angry carnivorous monst-"

[The mean one becomes silent when Semira begins to speak, and the pair watch in fascination as others appear. The sounds in the distance have faded, leaving the pack of mares and the vampire pigeons gathered in silence. As each mare offers their opinions, The dumb one hops protectively to stand on the egg and covers it with its wings.]

"For such friendly folk, you don't seem to have lots of ideas."
"You think they just want it for themselves?"

[They quiet down once more and listen to Irrydae and Arah. The dumb one hisses at her, and the mean one snorts]

"The purple certainly does. You might be clever, but I know what you're doing. Maybe you can help with your... magic, but this egg is ours, lady."
"Not to mention we have to move it before we can even think about its mother."
"I TOLD YOU, we were really sneaky! There's no way the mother heard us, featherhead!"
"Hey, stop yelling at me, I'm just trying to think ahead."
"Yeah right, like you've ever thought ahead in your life."
"Well, I'm thinking ahead now. This one's got a point."

[The two pigeons look over Arah closely, leaving their egg unattended for a moment so that they might examine the box. The dumb one pulls at it, finding it sturdy enough, and nods with satisfaction. The two listen to Nayati as the examine the box and seek out its potential. Suddenly the mean one shrieks loudly at the sight of Nayati's magical animals attempting to move the egg, and then the mare herself reaching out to touch it. The dumb one hides behind the box, scared of the weasel and fox.]

"HEY! BACK OFF!"
"What makes you think you get to touch it without asking? This is our egg, stone-toes, don't forget that."
"Not to mention that we've already tried just pushing at it. Your friends aren't going to have any more luck than us."

[The dumb one goes back to the egg, flapping its wings and squawking protectively at the crowd Nayati has gathered around it. Begrudgingly, the mean one grabs Africa's leaf to put under the box.]

"I like the box. It's a pretty nice box."
"Gimme that! Yeah, but the bossy one's right, the box isn't strong on it's own, but this should help."
"That's pretty good. If you can get it in there with your magic, purple-lady, then you can all take turns."
"We'll show you guys where to go, it's just over the hill here."

[The two pigeons move away from the egg and begin to hop over towards a nearby hill to lead the way, but they watch the mares closely.]

THE SECOND TASK: Cooperate to carry the box over the hill. Be careful!

Because they mostly followed Arah's plan, she wins the first round, and receives +1 drop of her name in the final round pot for her ingenuity.

For clarification:
each task lasts only one round. A reminder to be creative! Those who please the vampire pigeons will have a higher chance of winning in the final round. Don't be discouraged if you don't win this round, there will be several chances. Know also that if the pigeons don't like an answer you give, you are not counted against in any way. Make sure to post within the time limits, or else your character will be "left behind."

Entrance period opens now and closes 5/23, 72 hours from the post stamp.

Hidden Account
paddeh

Irrydae

Irrydae watches as others arrive quickly, only two others. That means there are six here, and with each new arrival meant less of an odd of that egg being hers. Irry's purple ears flick towards the white mare with antlers on her skull. She turns her attention to her, lazily flicking her tail and glancing at the pigeons nondiscretly every once and awhile. They seemed to be wary of the newcomers, they wanted that egg as much as anyone else did. Golden orbs watch the mare peel back large pieces of bark and sap, and she watched her messily put the pieces together to make a box with an open top. 'I was thinking you use your magic to gently lift the egg into the box. Then all of us can take turns dragging it to it's final destination.' Irrydae nods sagely, that is a very good idea. She wishes she could be that creative, anything to give her a better chance at winning this egg, and the mare had easily outsmarted her. She was not mad, but it was a slap in the face to pick up her game and to be more creative. "I think that's a great plan." Irrydae nods and then looks to the last one who had arrived, who has started to talk. 'Fighting off the mother is foolish to me, and I implore you do not for our safety as a whole and your own as well. An enraged mother is only ten time stronger, especially regarding her offspring. From what I heard earlier, she does not seem a small foe in the least. We also have young ones about, who I refuse to tell to run when they deserve a chance at bonding as well. Putting them in danger is cruel and shameful, and I worry for your health should you take on a creature that may be unlike anything either of us has seen.' She sees her lips are curved downwards and a small spark of anger ignites in her stomach, but she keeps a straight, calm face. Yes, the mother could be dangerous, but she feels she could easily ward the mother off. Irry nod grimly to her, she is smart, and it is a big risk. She makes Irry sound stupid. Again, she is shown up.

Irrydae listens to the two pigeons ramble on and she stays silent, golden pools flickering over to the one who had called her idea stupid, she seemed to be tring to take charge of this. Irrydae didn't like that, they all needed to work together, and yes they needed some direction, but she didn't need to be the only one talking. Irry would be if she had shut up at some point. Irrydae watches as she starts to sing, and suddenly a weasel and a fox appeared, and one of the pigeons shrieks. Irry jumps slightly att he loud noise, but settles quickly and is relaxed again, then realizes the animals are trying to move the egg.

' "I like the box. It's a pretty nice box."
"Gimme that! Yeah, but the bossy one's right, the box isn't strong on it's own, but this should help."
"That's pretty good. If you can get it in there with your magic, purple-lady, then you can all take turns."
"We'll show you guys where to go, it's just over the hill here." '
Irry realizes they are addressing her, and she turns her attention to them. Use her magic to get the egg in the box. She could also just use her magic to carry the egg up the hill. Irrydae quickly scrambles away, keeping everyone in sight until she finds the appropriate materials. From one tree, she snaps of several large, long branches. From another, she slices vines with her hoof away from the tree. She inexperetly winds the vines around the branches and, using the same idea as Arah, applies sap to both ends. She sticks to of the ends to the box, melding it together, and at the other end, she places a smaller, vine-wrapped branch. There was enough room for two horses to place the front vine branch against their chest and pull. She then swiftly moves over to the egg, Aurora Borealis streaming from the stars on the tips of her wings and concentrating it around the egg. It cradles the egg and lifts slowly, Irrydae scrunching her brow in concentration, nudging the egg softly with her nose to guide it. The egg settles in the box and a new idea sprouts in her mind. "I'll leave my magic with the egg, to lessen the weight of the egg." She says to them. She then motions to the smallest of the vine-wrapped branches that are almost perfectly circular. She nods to the rest of the horses before placing a few under the box in a demonstration. "I'm wondering if some of you to can continue to put these in front of the box as we move it along, so that it can roll along these, again making it easier for us to get it up the hill. Just take the ones that appear from behind as we go up the hill and place them in front of the box. It might not work but if you guys are will, it's worth a shot. "

Irrydae then moves to where the front branch is and pulls it up to place it against her chest. "Can I request someone else to help me pull the egg up the hill? If possible, one of the adults. Can the rest, or some of you help push the box with your noses from behind?" She asks, voice confident as her eyes gleam brightly. She figures she is one of the strongest there, the Foothills has made her strong and lean, more muscle and strength then she has ever had. She braces herself against the vine branch, ready to pull when another joined her. She watches the two pigeons scramble up the hill, leading the way, watching all of them closely, but Irrydae's intentions are to get the egg over the hill and away from the mother. One might try to take the egg and flee, but the egg is too heavy and she knew they wouldn't get far if they tried. Seconds pass by and Irrydae knows they need to move now.

"talk talk talk"

Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

' "I like the box. It's a pretty nice box."
"We'll show you guys where to go, it's just over the hill here." '
The two brids liked her box, bingo. They start to lead the way over the hill and so Arah wants to get moving with the box as quickly as possible. She decides to dub the birds as Squawk and Cluck. Rather fitting names she thought. She watches as the mare begins to place logs under her box and smiles. She too had thought of that, but had made sure that the bottom of the box was thick enough not to wear out too quickly. Still she was glad that the others were contributing and helping out. Arah stays out of the way when the winged mare guides the egg into the box and Arah grins. "Nice work," She congratulates the mare and then listens to the rest of the mares plan. "Oo, girl, I like your thinking." Examining the hill Arah sees many sticks and stones in their way. "We are going to have a expand on that plan though." She trots over to a tree and rips off a few leaved branches for the other horses. Rushing back down the hill she bends down next each of them she presents them each with a brach. "Three of you, should sweep the way clear, you can choose who." Arah didn't care who they picked as long as they where fast about it. "Then as the other mare said, someone should be moving the logs." Then back to the winged mare walks Arah and picks the vine up between her teeth. Only with such a small box, there wasn't much room for Arah next to the winged mare. Dropping the vine she looks around the ground. "One of you can go here instead once the way has been swept clear. There might not be much point but at least if you're smaller than me you'll fit." Walking to the back of the box, where she also took up all of the room she measured her antlers against the box. They fitted perfectly. Arah would be most useful behind the box.

"Every time we manage to pull the box over two logs, we will stop and I'll kick them behind me. Then we will wait for a horse to replace those logs." She just realised how hard this was going to be. "Everyone else should keep the way clear, if your branches run out of leaves just get new ones, or if the birds get too far ahead, somebody should be navigator." She then spoke to the winged purple mare. "If someone else pulls with you make sure you cordinate your footsteps, to make sure that you don't trip over each other." A slight chuckle from Arah before they even move, this was not going to be just hard. It was going to be blooming next to impossible. Fun though. Even Arah saw the hilarity at meeting the evil Squawk and Cluck. She braced herself against the box and cleared her throat. "I say we move on three." She suggested to the winged mare. She honestly hoped that she didn't seem to bossy, but they needed to get moving and stick to the plan. Arah was born a leader, it was in her blood. Sometimes she couldn't help taking lead. At least she listened to others plans. She listened as the winged mare spoke and then (to her) bettered the plan ever so slightly.

So the plan was simple. Arah and the winged mare would pull/push the egg. They both seemed to be the oldest there and that was what made the most sense.
Then three of the youngest fillies here would sweep the way clear. Once they picked who that was going to be, the last one would move the logs. "With your magic, it shouldn't be too hard to move the box up the hill. She paused. "But my antlers were created to push heavy things, don't strain yourself." Antlers where fighting weapons, and the animals fought by pushing each other around and ramming things. So much more useful than a horn in this instance.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.
Notes; Forgot to mention that the basin are herd champs, so can I please get another +1 drop of Arah's name.
Words; 676

Deceased
Africa
The cold, dank air hugged Africa tightly and her coat rippled wildly in an effort to warm her core. She watched with baited breath as a diverse array of other beings arrived on the scene, each focusing their curiosity and interest upon the two strange birds and their ‘rock’. As the seconds passed by she listened, enthralled perhaps by the nature of the building conversation, the mounting intentions and individual desires to- it seemed to Africa, stand taller than the rest. A pensive sigh fluttered her black velveteen nostrils, and she tilted her head to listen as each case was presented to the sinister ‘rock-keepers’. Wrapped in a kind of patient silence, she began to wonder if this wasn’t all just one of her mind’s fantasy creations; if she was simply just indulging herself to another adventure. It seemed, when the palest mare with hair so long it caressed the forest’s very floor began to craft and create a vessel, that it was indeed one of these dreams and a pleasured, enthusiastic quirk trickled through her bald-white complexion.

She listened with ever expanding concentration, as magic became the topic and watched with baited breath as two small animals joined the growing group- she could have not have known that their very spirits were born of magic itself. Africa was to that moment oblivious, stirred and wondering only by the notion of her wild imaginings. To her mind’s-eye they were real, exotic perhaps; many of the ‘companions’, as Sohalia had so generously introduced their concept, were most peculiar anyway. The words shared between the crowd, seemed to fall across the young Pegasus’s ears in mass, confusing her simplistic nature enough to strike bewilderment through her open gaze. She could not understand the fascination each horse seemed so determined to devote towards the rock- its captors to a lesser degree, she thought from her more or less outside perspective. Never the less, she seized the marvellous adventure with a shrug, retiring her indecision and common-sense.

She hoped inwardly, blinking with comprehensive astonishment as the rock was manoeuvred into the make-shift box by dancing lights (perhaps even translucent fairy-wings), that she would sleep long into the morning because the excitement and potential was overwhelming.

The birds began to squabble again, their voices shrill and raspy through the otherwise dense silence, and Africa wondered what the eyes who would undoubtedly be awake and watching by now, were witnessing. All at once, the louder more aggressive of the pair darted towards her hooves and snatched the leaf from beneath her treats. She jerked her head at the suddenness of the movement and peered down with dismay as the fruits of her labour lay scattered across the moist loam. A resentful sigh leaked through slightly parted lips, as she watched the creature slide her leaf beneath the box. Indeed... She mumbled, well below the groups capacity to hear. The pigeons soon enough, agreed to lead the way and whisked ahead- Africa noted the way they checked back with suspicious, glaring eyes and her curiosity grew, forming a swarm of flickering butterflies in her stomach.

All about them, the forest was strewn with litter and logs; leaves and vines- all more than capable of aiding their transport of the strange, round rock. Apparently Africa was not the only creative mind on site though, as a great number of objects were gathered and combined to form brooms, wheels, harnesses and the like. Most impressed, though dismayed that her own dream was excluding her talents, the grey fumbled forward obligingly to assist the purple, star-dusted mare at the front. Nibbling at the end of a scrawny branch, the young mare grasped it tightly between her teeth. The other end was strewn with slim pine-like needles, the perfect broom she smiled to herself, and obligingly moved before the horse and her cart to sweep the litter from her path.

She had progressed few strides, when a thought did swell through her mind. A light cough emitted as though to try to snatch otherwise preoccupied attention, and she mentioned, “Perhaps I will dig a small trench to support the box as you move it along. I can see that your...” She paused, staring cautiously at the bizarre branches growing from her forehead, “Well, if the rock toppled by accident, valuable time would be wasted...” She finished quickly without turning and began to sweep in an awkward though successful, mode of reverse. No doubt the rock’s travel would be ungainly and much slower. Still clenching the broom between her teeth, Africa began to gouge the floor with her sharp beige fore-hoof- shallow at first where the journey would begin, but narrowing into a clean funnel which would quickly edge the box’s path for safety. This way too, she thought quietly, the rock would not detour in any other direction- by accident or means of foul play.

Sweep, dig... sweep, dig

4 (april)-5-13:: [Companion: Zephyr | Roc]

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Hidden Account
Kachie
Quietly little Semira watched as others arrived and rapidly took over the situation, completely overlooking her. True, Cousin Sakura was also there, but Cousin wasn't all that much bigger than she was, considering all the adults that were there. Even the strange birds seemed to think as much, putting more stake into whatever the adults might think of doing.

Shifting her small body closer to Sakura's, she whispered conspiratorially to the other filly. "This is silly." For a moment longer she stayed quiet, assessing the plan. Egg in box, drag box over the hill...

"Excuse me!" Her voice chimed up, smaller than the adults but with a higher pitch. Purposefully she stepped forward, flaring out her oversized wings and swaying her sinuous tail back and forth. Starlight and moonlight, filtered through the trees, catch on the silver scales that coat her back, making her shine and all that much harder to ignore.

"This is a great idea and all. But why drag it? Its little. Smaller than me. And you're all big. So why not attach it to somebody's back and carry it?" Unspoken in her mind was the observation that they weren't as big as Father. He could have just picked up the egg, or rock, or whatever it was, and carried it in his mouth. She'd seen him do similar things. Briefly it crossed her mind to call for him, knowing that he really wouldn't be that far away. Maybe even the reason why that yowling thing got quiet. But there was plenty of adults here to stand in for him. "You can take turns, there's enough of you to rotate who is carrying it whenever it gets too heavy. And I can help make sure it doesn't fall."

Then she falters, ears twitching. "But if you really want to drag it, I can help clear the path. But I can't move the really heavy stuff."

Deceased
Emily

Sakura</style>

Silently as more arrive I move closer to Semira. She's family after all, or so she and her twin have said. Daddy is like Mirage's brother, which makes her... My aunt of sorts? "This is silly" She says softly for my ears only. I nodded in response, listening as the adults talked. I stayed close to my cousin as she spoke up to the adults. I smiled. Dragging the box really was a bad idea. The bottom would wear down and break and then what. She brought up a good point. Why didn't the bigger adults just take turns carrying the box? I nodded again in agreement before adding my own thoughts to the situation at hand. "Semira has a good point, but if you all insist on dragging it... Wouldn't it make more sense to go around the hill than over it? How do you plan to control the box going back down the hill?"

Here I fall silent, waiting for the adults to make up their minds as to what they want to do. I sigh softly before speaking again. "Like she said, if you really wanna drag it i'll help clear the way... But I can't move the really heavy stuff.." The best thing I could do in fact was sooth any animal that came to attack us on our way... Light green eyes look at each adult in turn, waiting to see what they were going to decide to do. After all, two of them seemed like they wanted to be the boss of everyone else anyway.

"talk talk talk"

Helovian Ancient

[The two vampire pigeons set off on their way, only to realize that the progress behind them is slow moving. Impatient as ever, the mean one squawks at the gaggle of mares.]

"Hey, hurry it up, will you?"

[A roar in the distance flusters the pigeons further, and the dumb one begins to pull out his feathers until Arah starts to move the egg. His anxious grief is given pause for only a moment, however, as the mares all stop their progress once more to talk.]

"No! Stop making things more complicated. Can't you just move the damn thing and follow the plan?"
"They're not even listening to us, they're just puffing out their chests."
"What are they doing that for? They're not pigeons, that won't work on the stallions, will it?"
"No, dummy, but they think that we're stupid and they think it'll work on us."
"Well it won't! I'm not stupid."
"Debatable."
"Shut up! Look, that one is working."

[The pair do look, and see Africa sweeping clear the path as the others had instructed, working hard to move the egg while still offering suggestions of her own to ensure its safety. The pigeons begin to squawk delightedly, hopping from foot to foot. The mean one puffs out his feathers angrily at the youngest two mares. Sounds in the distance grow closer.]

"Stop arguing. Denouncing their ideas doesn't get it up the hill any faster."
"Deeenouwnsing. That's a big word."
"SHUT UP!"

[Suddenly, the roar becomes a cry and the vampire pigeons take rapid flight. They swirl in the sky above, cawing and screeching, warning the mares below of the source of the sound. Bursting from the brush, a massive Basilisk with a feathered crown appears with eyes that echo the stone covering of the egg. Hot tears of distress roll hissing down her cheeks to dissolve the earth.]

Give me back my baby, you wretched thievessss!

[The mean one and the dumb one fly off to stay in the trees above, observing in huddled fear. As much as they want the egg, they won't dare to go up against the Basilisk]

THE THIRD TASK: Deal with the Basilisk in whatever manner you wish. Careful not to look her in the eyes, and to avoid her acid tears!

For following the task most closely by cooperating with others by listening to their ideas, being careful, and actually moving to carry the box up the hill Africa wins the second round and earns +1.

Entrance period opens now and closes 5/28, 72 hours from the post stamp.

Current Standings:
Semira: 1
Sakura: 2
Africa: 2
Irrydae: 1
Arah: 2
Nayati: 1

[[To clear up the confusion, the Basin herd champs is not for an extra drop count this month, it is for a stealth immunity.]]

Hidden Account
Kachie
An ear tilted at the distant sound of a roar, young mind working to identify the source. It didn't sound like Father, which was somewhat worrying, but it was distant yet, which gave some comfort. What was distracting was the little birds that squawked at her disapprovingly.

Swishing her tail, Semira peered down at the pigeons. "I was merely suggesting a more effective method that would be faster!" But they were not listening, and soon her attention was for everything but the raucous fowl when the sounds she hadn't taken much stock of before resolved themselves into being something most definitely to be concerned with.

The earlier roar was much louder, much closer, and changed in quality just prior to the world exploding in movement and sound. The pigeons rush upwards in flight, their beating wings not enough to disguise the sound of something massive moving closer. Avian vocalizations mixed with crackling brush as something huge burst into the scene.

In automatic reflex the young dragonchild whirled, long tail swinging wide, its tasseled tip likely to slap into any too close to her small, pivoting body. A heat rose in her, intinctively bubbling up until a plume of fire burst from between her jaws. Golden eyes briefly glimpsed feathers and scales before the fire she'd never known she'd possessed took the form of a dragon, writhing in the air before her.

Wings that had mantled high into the air above her head dipped as Semira peered in bewilderment at the fire-dragon she'd created. But her bewilderment was not such that she didn't hear the distressed voice that filled the air with hissing tones.

Baby? Confused, Semira peered toward the rock-egg, then back toward the basilisk through the firey figure that danced in the air between herself and the creature. It was almost impossible for her to get a good look of the creature, not with the dragon of fire in the way. But there was nothing interferring with her sense of smell.

A deep draught was dragged in, young mind analyzing all the scents that came with. She recognized those of the horses around her, the birds who fluttered and circled above, the burnt-air smell she associated with the fire she'd breathed and now danced for her. The scents of the forest, the now-muffled scent of the rock-egg, and the basilisk.

"It doesn't smell like you..." Her young voice rose into the semi-silence that had fallen after the basilisk screeched at the pigeons. It was a bit higher than usual, pitch twisted by the already fading fear that had stoked her fire into life. "Are you sure this one is yours? If they've stolen yours, couldn't they have stolen someone else's? Maybe they hid it."

Golden eyes peered up at the pigeons thoughtfully, the silver scales on her face reflecting the dancing yellow light of the fire-dragon that still fluttered in the air between herself and the basilisk, but was starting to fade. "They wanted us to take this one over the hill, I bet your baby is in their hiding spot there."

Hidden Account
paddeh

Irrydae

Irrydae listens to Arah, nodding. 'Oo, girl, I like your thinking. We are going to have a expand on that plan though.' Irry agrees, letting another voice take the stand. 'Then as the other mare said, someone should be moving the logs.' "Irrydae. My name is Irrydae." She says quickly. There was no time to dilly-dally. The other pegasus stands beside her and they start to pull there way up to hill as the antlered mare cradles the box in her antlers, Irrydae forcing her legs to move forward. Then the pegasus beside her speaks, quickly moving to awkwardly to sweep away brush, digging a... trench. Irry said nothing, ears flicking towards to two younger ones as they try to change the plan.

' "Stop arguing. Denouncing their ideas doesn't get it up the hill any faster."
"SHUT UP!" '

Golden orbs flick over to the pigeons, and a loud piercing cry radiates through the air as the pigeons screech and take flight. A creature bursts through the brush and jumps on the egg. Irry catches the sight of scales and turns her eyes away, the scent registering an old memory in her mind. 'Never look it in the eyes, Irrydae. Don't ever do that. It causes terrible things.' Her mother never told her what exactly, but she decided to follow her mother's word. Irry jumps from the harness, shielding the pegasus mare that had helped her pull it before whispering in her ear. "Don't look at it." Irrydae then turns to see a fire dragon appear from the jaws of the scaled filly. She stares at it for a second before snapping back into reality, flinching as the Basilisk screams at them.

The filly then stops in the silence, her voice reaching all of them. 'It doesn't smell like you... Are you sure this one is yours? If they've stolen yours, couldn't they have stolen someone else's? Maybe they hid it. They wanted us to take this one over the hill, I bet your baby is in their hiding spot there.' This might be clever, but Irrydae doesn't think the Basilisk will be fooled.

Irrydae jumps over to the filly. "Use your magic against the Basilisk. Don't look it in the eyes. I will use my magic, too. We might be able to get rid of it." She avoided the word kill. Her voice is quick. Irry then turns her body towards the Basilisk, keeping her head tucked into her chest and eyes on the ground as she pulls her wings out, snaps them forward and shoots energy draining stars and stardust from them, aiming towards the Basilisk and hoping to hit it. Her knees grow weaker after the stuff left her, but she gritted her teeth and furrowed her brow. Again, Northern Lights that leaves a numb burn stream from the tips of her wings, coming to form a small dragon in front of her. Irrydae looks at the figure before her, nodding it towards the Basilisk also, hoping it might affect it in some way. Irrydae had taken advantage of the time the filly had taken to speak and distract the Basilisk, hoping to catch it off guard.

Irrydae then takes a step back, audits forward and nares flared as she stands precariously, ready to jump in to action to defend herself or another if needed. Ready to attack again, her strength filtering back to her. Golden orbs are bright and aware as she glances at everyone around her, watching their reactions. Irry allows herself a quick glance upward to the pigeons before her attention is back on the Basilisk who sits on the egg, though her eyes are not looking at any part of the beast.

"talk talk talk"
[ OOC ; I was wondering how Sakura had 2 points? ]

Deceased
Emily

Sakura</style>

We were all but ignored by one mare at least, but my attention was already turning. Stupid bird brains were coming back to yell at us. Real smart move guys...

' "Stop arguing. Denouncing their ideas doesn't get it up the hill any faster."
"SHUT UP!" '

Soon as I saw a flash of scales I moved backward to some sort of safety and closed my eyes tight. I do not know why I closed my eyes other than I needed to focus. I could hear the crackle of fire near by, from the direction Semira had been in. Could it be that the little dragon princess held fire magic too? I could feel the warmth of my magic surging in my body, the comforting feeling it gave off. I focused really hard on the direction of the voice I heard next trying to sooth the beast.

Give me back my baby, you wretched thievessss!"

I had to do this right and I had to get it done now. I had to sooth her enough for the snake thingy to calm down and listen. Semira was talking again and i could only hope that with my magic it would work. 'It doesn't smell like you... Are you sure this one is yours? If they've stolen yours, couldn't they have stolen someone else's? Maybe they hid it. They wanted us to take this one over the hill, I bet your baby is in their hiding spot there.' Good thinking little dragon cousin. Distract her while I try to sooth her more. I want to growl like Alanna does when she doesn't like something when the purple mare speaks. How stupid could you get? Fight that huge thing off? I barely opened my eyes, careful to heed her words of not looking it in the eyes. The way the earth looked I also did not want to touch those tears either... Slowly I backed closer to the rock egg, my focus still on the scaled beast trying to sooth her despite the others reactions. Meanwhile my back hooves kick the box gently one at a time, trying to push it a bit. all the while hoping the others would notice and help me out.

"talk talk talk"

Arah

"Arah." She introduced herself back to Irrydae, who was quickly becoming her friend. Then there was no time to chat as they got down to business. Panting and also heaving from the effort, they reached the top of the hill.

"Stop arguing. Denouncing their ideas doesn't get it up the hill any faster."
"SHUT UP!"

Suddenly, the roar becomes a cry and the vampire pigeons take rapid flight. They swirl in the sky above, cawing and screeching, warning the mares below of the source of the sound. Bursting from the brush, a massive Basilisk with a feathered crown appears with eyes that echo the stone covering of the egg. Hot tears of distress roll hissing down her cheeks to dissolve the earth.

Give me back my baby, you wretched thievessss!

The mean one and the dumb one fly off to stay in the trees above, observing in huddled fear.

Okay a basilisk. Crap. NO don't panic! What did Arah know about basilisks? She knew that it was the king of the serpents. The basilisk is a creature that is born screwed up egg of some fashion - she couldn't remember what had to be wrong with the egg, but who cared. The the egg is hatched by a toad. Gross. What kind of messed up day was this turning into? She almost felt like washing her hands of the entire thing. All because of these stupid birds. FOCAUS ARAH! She mentally screamed at herself. She could not leave this egg, she didn't want to believe that it was the baby of the monster. Mind back on the problem in a instant. How do you kill them? How do you kill monstrous and murderous snakes? ... Time was ticking...how...the answer was in her mind buried deep somewhere. She had heard it from an old traveling mare. Somewhere someone said not to look into its eyes...THAT WAS IT. It's own reflection was supposed to deal with the bitch! So now Arah just had to find a reflective surface. Pitty her ruby gem was far to small to be any good. The only thing she could think of was water, but would it be too dark? Would the reflection not show? There was a fair amount of moon light showing, and they were lucky enough to be only a few meters off a clear pool of water, the bottom of which is lined with precious stones of a deep red colour.

She wasted no time. Dogeing the tears, and refusing to look up at the beast, Arah bolted as fast as she could. Hoping the others could keep Basilisk busy she rushed off to the lake. It took a few seconds and after taking a deep breath she turned her golden eyes down to the pool of water. Her reflection peered back at her not as clear as what she would have liked, but she could still distinguish her features and details. The darkness from the night canceled out the clear factor, but the moonlight was just enough to show reflections. She breathed a sigh of relief before plunging her self into the water. Thank god her mother had taught her how to swim. "OI...!" She wasn't sure what to call it. Ugly? Mother? Beasy? "I think I see your real egg at the bottom of this pool!" Then she prayed to the gods that the beast would catch a glimpse of it's refection. Shutting her eyes so she wouldn't see the eyes the reflection, Arah began to blindly and slowly swim back to the bank of the pool of water.

Notes; I couldn't think of anything else ;-;
I would just like to say thanks to Harry Potter for killing his Basilisk with a sword and not helping me with this post at all, other than that tiny bit of crap info i remembered about the egg being hatched under a toad. Because at ten years old that freaked me out and it's burned to my brain.
Words; 451

Deceased
Africa
“Sleep now my child...”

“But Mother, last night you promised to tell me about the Basilisk... You promised!”

“I did dear one, I did.”

The child nestled herself snug against the warmth of her mother’s side; the mare in turn curled her long legs to embrace her daughter, extending a glossy black, feathered wing to blanket the small foal, both for warmth and security in the cold of the imminent night. Tenderly and with an affectionate smile, she nuzzled her only child.

“There are beings who occupy the wilds of the fairy-tale land called Helovia; strange, wonderful and terrifying, and perhaps one of the most unusual of all is the Basilisk.
Some say they have seen this creature hatched from the shell of a snake’s egg, others claim to have witnessed its emergence from that of a toad! Regardless, fable states that it is only beneath the warm, broody breast of a cockerel that eggs containing Basilisks are incubated.

These creatures are peculiar to look at. They are a mismatched sort, with a grand crest of fowl’s feathers, serpent’s scales, and a reptilian tail which is thick and strong. Many claim that the Basilisk struts upon a pair of absurd, naked legs with claws like an eagle; others describe its form to be the long twisting body of a serpent itself.

One must be extremely careful when in the company of such highly-strung beings though- they are irrational, with wild tempers which are untameable. Their eyes weep acid, and such tears burn anything they touch. They could easily melt the very hoof from your leg!
And eye contact must never be made with a Basilisk, or certain death will befall that fool who looks- it is how they hunt you see, preying upon those who are unsuspecting or imprudent. Indirectly, the beast’s terrible stare will petrify.”

“Indirectly Mother...?”

“If you were to glance into its eyes through a pool’s reflection child, you would be turned to stone.”

“Oh my! How can a Basilisk be slain?”

“Well, there are many rumoured ways to kill one, though only three which I have heard to be successful.
The first is a conniving theory, though Basilisks are not stupid creatures- some have tried luring them to glance at their own reflection, trying as they might to petrify it with its own stare. I cannot tell you how successful this has been; they are shrewd and aware, and I would think, not easily fooled in such a way.
Secondly, to this wretched monster, the crow of a rooster is fatal, a thing that has been tested with success and is riddled throughout history’s coffers.”

“...And the third Mother, I should think roosters are few and far between?”

“The third my child is with the foul odour of a common weasel! Unfortunately though, the animal used to destroy the Basilisk is killed also as it is exposed before the monster.”

“That is terribly sad.”

“Such is Lore, I am afraid.
Now sleep darling Africa, it is late and we both must rest...”

The pigeons exploded upwards suddenly, apparently abandoning their quest to transport the rock, and deserting their feminine equine servants. From the bushes beneath their refuge, the source of the droning roar, the building anticipation became clear, the maternal Basilisk erupted across the milky moonlit hill. Its scales glistened like the starry sky above, and for a moment, Africa’ breath caught in her throat, the sheer fascination and reality of this unfolding legend, almost too much to bear.

Another thing also happened then, perhaps feeding the thirsty enthrallment dancing through her pale golden gaze. A dragon that had not been there only seconds before writhed to life above the bewildered expression of the young reptilian horse to her right, and Africa matched the stranger’s extensive astonishment, her jaw slack and her mouth agape.
As the near vicinity was illuminated by the magical dragon’s fiery essence, Africa trained her eyes to the creature’s neck- well clear of its furious, teary gaze. That was when she noticed the smoke pluming from a small crater below its snaking form. The Basilisk’s tears, she presumed wisely deciding against closer investigation, were burning the very soil beneath her weight.

The mare that had been previously harnessed to pull, leapt in defence to shield Africa and immediately, the young dapple grey felt a mixture of gratefulness and due care swell within her. Although childhood memories had been drawn rapidly from the chambers of the dapple grey’s own mind, thus providing the necessary information about this serpent-fowl beast, the stranger had selflessly straddled herself between life- the group, and death- the Basilisk. She reached forward while the star-kissed, purple mare poised before her and brushed her lips across the other’s warm hide in sincere gratitude.

The creature hissed at them collectively, calling them thieves, accusing them of stealing her baby, and Africa murmured softly, deliberately scrutinizing the Mother’s shimmering fire-lit scales, “Mother! Basilisk’s tend their own young!” Her thought was broken by a sudden retaliation, the fire-breathing filly was questioning the Mother’s nurturing instinct and bond to her baby; testing whether she knew in fact, her own shelled progeny from a fake of sorts. Africa had to laugh slightly, though she concealed it well within an abrupt nod, remembering that her own mother had labelled these creatures shrewd.

Perhaps the youngest of their crowd’s bluff was in fact truth. Africa recalled with narrowed eyes that the eggs of these monsters were alike either that of a toad or a snake- this rock resembled neither! “Perhaps you are right...” She thought aloud, “This rock looks nothing like the Basilisk’s egg portrayed in the stories I have heard.” Her words trailed and were lost beneath a flurry of new instructions.
The purple-tinged mare bounded towards the fire-breather, and Africa’s ear followed with compiling interest, allowing her eyes to remain transfixed on the furious beast.
Each mare it seemed had their own way to kill or distract the Mother from her egg, the next choice being a combination of magic, wielded by those who were in such possession. The young dapple grey was not, and so resigned to watch the display of dancing lights and fire-dragons alike. It was rather beautiful, and quite mesmerizing she thought, waiting back.

The horse with trees growing atop her temples moved next, struck by some wondrous concept perhaps, which was known only unto her. Africa watched in humble amazement as she darted away, clear of the dangerous beast. She could not tell where the pale horse had gone until the sound of her taunting; mocking voice filled the cold, still night air. She was trying to summon the Basilisk to the water’s edge and the grey was certain that it was a hearty attempt to lure the Mother into her own reflection.
Perhaps it would work; perhaps it wouldn’t. Only time would tell, but their ideas were drying up and the Basilisk’s fury was intensifying with every moment they forced her into procrastination.

Africa conjured up her own plot as they waited for the creature to react to the ‘reflection-plan’- or not. It was the last of a withering list of choices available, and although perhaps the most basic of them all, the quiet horse reckoned it stood a relatively decent chance- tried and tested, though not in the manner in which she was going exert it, if all else should have failed.
In a swift action, she snatched the barky branch which she had been previously using as a make-shift broom. Frayed and hairy, the sweeping motion had caused its once emerald tips to fall limp like a long, wispy tail within the gentle clasp of her teeth.

If the creature had alerted to the pale mare’s idea, Africa would step forward and confront the creature personally. She would stand side on, across the crest of the little hillock whose surface was now sullied with various craters, burnt by her acid tears. With a wing drawn carefully to shield her eyes, the dappled horse would peer through the slim gaps between spread, black primary feathers to watch for reaction and response to her warning- always avoiding eye contact.

“Bashilishk!” She would summon the monster’s attention with a bold, brazen call, “In my teeth here, I have a weashel...” She would dangle the replica tail beneath the arm of her stretched wing then to prove her case. “It is widely known that the odour of a weashel can kill a Bashilishk. If you leave ush in peache, I will not bring thish animal near you.” She would lower her voice, to enhance the truth behind her intentions. “The choice ish yoursh- will you rishk your life; or will you live on to birth many more eggsh just the shame.”

And that is how Africa’s variation of events would have unfolded if the chance arose.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Helovian Ancient

[Overhead, the two vampire pigeons hush, unable to gain their composure as directly below, the Basilisk threatens the lives of all those below. She is not scared by the creatures of magic, being too enraged by the theft of her child to act rationally. Despite the mounting evidence that the egg is indeed not hers, she is unable to be swayed.]

Thievessss! Liarssss! You cheatsss can't tell me thisss is not my child! Thisss egg is wrapped in sssstone, just like you will be sssssoon, you inssolent beassstssss!

[The Basilisk slithers and darts closer to each mare, trying to scare and tempt each and every one so that they might look her in the eye. Above, the mean one cannot contain a squawk, and in a second its eyes meet the Basilisk's. It falls to the earth as a statue, and the dumb one flees in terror, forgetting any hunger he may have felt. When Irrydae and Semira use their magic, she only grows more enraged, and soon charges at them with her fangs bared.]

I'll show you! You monssssstersss! No one takess my ba- no on- my- ba-

[The Basilisk is stopped in its tracks and falls flat to the earth. Her eyes glaze over and she seems entirely subdued by Sakura's magic. The magic wielders and soon, Arah, will all owe Sakura their lives.]

You- you are all.... sssooooo.... mean. And, and... you! w-what do you take me for? I would never... never forget how Perssseusss killed the firsssst of my kind...

[The Basilisk throws herself weakly and tiredly at Arah, but is too soothed by Sakura's magic to let her rage harm anyone. Suddenly feeling sluggish, the Basilisk slithers slowly towards the egg, but is then stopped by Africa's voice.]

No.... not a... a weasssseel! Y-you ssssscoundrel. You, you ssswine!

[She screams and moves as quickly away from them all as she can, retreating into shadow, shouting out behind her as she leaves.]

Foolsssss! My baby will sssuffer under your care.

[With all the mythical creatures gone, all that remains is the egg. Seemingly of its own accord, it rolls towards Africa, easily crushing the box around it as it moves as if by magic. At her hooves it rests, touching to her ankles and suddenly shedding its shield of stone. Within, the body of a roc begins its stirring as the fate of the egg and its bonded are sealed.]

For their ingenuity and success in deterring the Basilisk in the final and most dangerous round, Africa and Sakura received +2 drops of their name each.

List: x
Roll: x

THE WINNER: Africa

Please post in the updates forum. You will be able to bond to the roc in two weeks.