the Rift

[PRIVATE] fight to save a smile

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
...aylin...

crying isn't secret, it's the art of how we grieve

The touch of his muzzle against my ankle is light, but I feel it almost as if I'd been shocked. I swing my head toward him and lower my muzzle so it touches his briefly before I go back to snuggling Manhattan. She's such a sweet dog, I think. I've always wanted a dragon to be my companion because I'd grown up with Tallis. I know I'll never be able to bond to on, but Manhattan makes me think that maybe that's not so bad. There are plenty of others out there looking for a bondmate. I just haven't found the right one for me yet.

"He does?" I voice my question after he says his father tells him stories of my mother. "My mother used to always tell me stories of your father. What stories does he tell you?" I ask then listen, a smile growing as he tells me that my mother had brought apples to a monster in a castle. She'd never told me that story or that it was how she'd gotten the ability to bend the trees.

"That sounds like my mother." I murmur. "She was always looking to do right by others." It was so like her to befriend a monster. "She always told me that everyone was innately good, that there was no such thing as 'pure evil'. The evil everyone talks about is created by us, inside our minds. We are the ultimate masters over who we are and what we want to be. We create the evil that we fear and we let it manifest." My voice had taken on a serious tone, but I didn't want the conversation to turn serious again.

"My mother told me that she and your father both lived in trees." I blurted out in an attempt to lighten the mood once more.

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

The broken's body tenses as Aylin goes on, speaking of her mother's moral code and her belief about the good in others. Manhattan listens to few of the mare's words, enjoying instead Aylin's soft touch and gentle attentions. Knox feels her contentment, but it is not enough to settle the knot in his stomach. Some darker part of him is stirred by Aylin's remarks, some part that denies the truth of her mother's philosophy and turns instead to the influence of his ancestors. Cem is cold and chastising, emerging from the depths of Knox's consciousness to scold him for his feeling.

Emotion is a weakness, do not let it be yours.

The words sting and punch, falling over his eyes and darkening them as the tone in the hollow grows more serious. Dovev whispers, sounding cruel and crazed.

You are inherently evil.

Too many are too cowardly to fight, too many too tired to stand up against the more sinister whispers. Knox himself, vulnerable in his state, cannot fight against them at first. Their influence is strong and binding. It is enough to cause Knox to lift his head and pull away from Aylin; enough to bring his body up off of the dirt floor and over to the edge of the outcropping, where the canopy falls and the rain bites at his face. Darker minds grip his heart, slowly twisting, slowly turning it cold.

Stop.

Manhattan. His light; he turns to look back at her, to meet her pure blue gaze from where it and she rest, nestled beneath Aylin's embrace. He feels lost again, and he looks to her for guidance.

What am I, Manhattan?
Good.

And then the instant of pain and darkness fades. He listens to Aylin's remark, lets out an amused whinny at the thought. Living in trees? How? Quite cumfurtuble, his father chimes in from the back of his mind; still, it sounds so strange to the colt. "What? A tree? That sounds... ridiculous," he admits with a shaking and lowering of his tired head. He has grown exhausted quickly, perhaps sleep will settle upon him soon. He looks back to Aylin and away from the rain; his tired and aching body is carried away from the rain once more and he leans himself against the wall of dirt and rock. Manhattan jumps up and wanders closer, huddling in his shadow against his forelegs. Still, perhaps his father was right. Surely there were better places to rest one's head than here, in the shadow of a cliff in the rain.

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

The change in Knox is sudden and rather startling and I'm not dense enough not to notice it. My breathing becomes shallow as I turn my gaze to him and watch him as he seems to battle with himself. I should not have begun to talk about my mother's moral code, especially to someone as troubled as him. Maybe at another time when he is less troubled. Yes, I have faith that he will find himself. His light will lead him down the path of goodness, though the darkness will always nip at his heels. So long as he has his light with him he will be good.

I nuzzle Manhattan and smile when he whinnies and laughs. I think it's ridiculous, too, that my mother lived in a tree for most of her life. The trees must have been massive, for my mother is no dainty little mare. My gaze followed my new-found companion as he rests his bulk against the wall of the outcropping that sheltered us from the rain and I lift my head as Manhattan jumps up to be closer to Knox. They look comfortable, I must admit, and they will be warm when darkness falls. It's going to be a cool night because of the rain, and a little warmth doesn't sound half bad.

I gather my legs and heft myself from the ground, stopping only to shake the dust from my coat, then I wander closer to Knox. He is warmth. My dark sides brush gently against his own as I nestle in close to him, hoping he doesn't mind that I want to share the same warmth he offers his companion. I'll be gone in the morning, I tell myself, as my head drops and my muzzle nearly touches the ground. Already my eyelids feel heavy and I welcome sleep openly.

For the first time in months I can sleep comfortably knowing that I have someone beside me. Maybe my dreams won't leave me feeling hollow with loneliness.

"Goodnight, Knox."

image credits