the Rift

A Buzz, Hot, and Muddy.

Iphiclus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A crack of lightning lit up the sky. Trees bent over in his vision. A dangerous boom followed soon after. Old wet leaves squished beneath his feet. The steady wind turns into a strong gust that almost knocks the Pegasus over. To steady himself, he unfolds his wings, just enough for the wind to push them out and lifting him into the air. He is pushed past the trees and flies higher above, higher and higher he goes; the gust steadily pushing. A bright flash lights up the sky. I have to get down! Water droplets beat against his skin. He struggles in the wind, trying to get out and land. The air channel holds him in place, making him unmovable. A bright white light blinds him and a jolt runs through his body. Then the darkness sets in.
. . .
I woke up on the ground, half of my body covered in mud and a buzz throughout my whole body. Ouch! I realize my whole body is burning. I peel open my eyes to see red. It looked like the whole forest was covered in a red film. I see my shadow and turn around to see the red sun peeking through the dead trees. My red coat almost blends in with the sun. The flecks of gold in my wings shimmers. My mane and tail are frizzier than normal. My wings aching, I stand up and wobble a little. I attempt to make a step but my leg folds under me. I remember the buzz going through my body. It started from the tip of my wing and stretching throughout my whole body finding every ending point. I get up again. This time I make a successful step. Then another. And another. They aren’t pretty steps but they’ll do.

I hobble through the forest, stumbling and falling again, and again. I even have to make detours around a fallen log because my leg couldn't be lifted up that high. I try to stretch out my wings but they screamed in pain. As I was walking I saw my gold swirls shimmer up my leg. I look up and notice something else shimmering, but this was different; a white shimmer. I pick up my pace. I stumble even more, I almost fall. But as I reach the light, I realize its water! A small pool the rain last night had made! How lucky can I get? I slide into the little pond, my legs gliding easily through the water. The buzz dies down and the heat goes away. I sigh in relief…

The mud slides off me. Not worrying about the mud, I try to sort through my memories searching for some explanation. The only thing that comes to mind is white light. White light. "Hmm.." I mumble out loud. I dip my head in the water. The memories flood back. The wind, high above the trees, the white light! I gasp, still under the water. I resurface caughing and sputtering. My legs dragging me out of the water, and I lie there on the wet muddy leaves, dirtying my coat again. The heat returns, and the buzz escalates.

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

The residue of last night's storm lingered in the air. While the sky itself bathed and permeated in the bright colors of a new sunrise, the air was damp and moist, humid from the torrential fall rain that had fallen upon Helovia the night before. Soon, instead of rain, it would be snow that coated this earth... Beneath solid hooves, the leaves were water-logged and sluggish, muffling her hoof falls with each step that she took. For so long, Romani's ears had grown used to the constant snap! and other such sounds of dried leaves that occured underfoot that the silence was somewhat unnerving.

Beside her, Kasai was having a similar thought. The black and white tigress would take a few steps in the damp undergrowth before pausing to shake her paws in an attempt to rid them of water, her little nose and whiskers scrunching in distaste and annoyance. The cub, while not minding water in itself, rather detested the concept of rainfall. Why have rain fall from the sky when there was plenty to drink upon the ground? The concept of it all confused the white tiger cub, and her annoyance spread through the internal link that she and Romani shared.

The Haflinger glanced down at the cub that trotted along her side, dark lips turning upwards in a chuckle. "Come now, sweet," came the golden-red mare's soft voice, a gentle contrast to the harsh and brutal cracks of lightning that had sung across the night's sky mere hours before, "It isn't that terrible. If you think about it, the moisture here isn't that different from the Edge..." Still, despite her words, Kasai remained annoyed. An ear would tip back, then flick forward, and the tiger's tail swayed to and fro in vexation.

Despite her stark unhappiness with the situation, the two continued their way into the Threshold. Romani's sharp azure eyes lingered through the fall-colored trees, taking a few moments to admire the glistening leaves that shone brilliantly in a fall display before picking up the pace once more. Thick legs propelled the stocky gypsy forward at a leisurely walk, simply attempting to enjoy the day. She wasn't out today to search for lost souls, but instead was simply enjoying a walk with her beloved companion. Despite the love that she had formed for the World's Edge in her time there, Romani still loved to wander. She was, after all, a gypsy; adventure and exploration was in her life-blood.

Weaving through the trees with as much poise as her frame could give her, the Protector kept her wits about her, and immediately slowed her pace to a walk when she spotted something rather peculiar through the trees. A splotch of red lay in a crumpled heap by the shore of a little pond, and Romani's head tilted to the side in curiosity as she tried to figure out just who the stranger was. A compact red body, somewhat similar to hers, except this stranger sported a rather impressive set of wings. A Pegasus, then. Golden hues decorated his crimson hide, and the mare took a moment to appreciate them before giving in to her concern.

Beside her, Kasai gave a grunt and a soft growl of curiosity. Her nose twitched once, twice, three times before striped paws took the feline closer, to which Romani immediately followed, the ivory strands of her tail flicking to the side. There was no way of knowing if this newcomer was friend or foe, and so the Protector approached with great caution.

"Are you unwell, sir?" The Haflinger inquired softly, head dipping downwards. The long strands of the mare's forelock fell forward, nearly covering her crisp blue eyes, but for once Romani didn't toss her head to rid her gaze from the cumbersome hairs. No, she remained fixed and focused upon the stallion. Experienced eyes roamed his frame, taking it in now that she stood closer. Perhaps this unfortunate soul had been caught in the fury of Orangemoon's late-night storm... "My name is Romani, sir, and this is my companion Kasai... Can you tell me your name?"

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because he Loves What is Behind Him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Iphiclus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Iphiclus

My sides heaved, sucking in all the oxygen I can consume in one breath. Birds chirp in the distance, even one landed close enough to me I could make out the exact feather lines on its little body. Yellow, yellow, black, white. As I drifted off into my mind, something rustled off to the side. It’s nothing. I thought at first. Then sound was made; a voice sound. I jump a little, sliding on the ground an inch or two, and turn to see to whom is speaking. At first I see a big striped cat beside some feather horse feet. I look up at the horse. She’s a draft horse just like me; but with no wings, and not red. More of a brownish color. She looks at me; her eyes searching my body. She says something else. I snap out of my daze and recall what she said. Oh! I stand up with shaky legs and respond to the first sign of civilization I have seen in a long time.

I speak quickly, “I am lost. I am from a place not known by many animals, Ickatang.” I eye the large cat beside me, and try to slow down, “Romani, My name is Iphiclus. I was blown further into these woods last night during the storm. My body has not recovered. I got struck by lightning last night, it caused a buzz to go throughout my entire body and I can’t seem to make it stop. It doesn’t help that I have this irritating heat cursed on my body too.”

Muddy water slipped off my sides and down my legs, covering my gold on my legs. I shuffled my weight from foot to foot. My legs itch to move, but I force myself to stand still and appear as presentable as possible. I stretch my feathered wings out, just a little, to help dry out.

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

If anything, Romani's concern only grew at the winged stallion's behavior. Indeed, he must be terribly unwell to react as he had... Turning her head, the palomino shared a glance with little Kasai before facing the male once more. She listened, golden-red ears perking forward at the sound of his voice, as he explained where he was from, what his name was, and just what had happened to put him in such foul condition.

Indeed, she had never heard of the land Ickatang. The name was foreign to her and her tongue, and so she didn't even bother trying to pronounce it out loud. Through her travels, when she had been a wandering gypsy, the Haflinger had encountered many different lands. Exploration had been in her blood then, and she had refused to settle in any of those lands. Yet when she had come to Helovia last Frostfall, she had finally found the place where she could call home. Perhaps, for Iphiclus, this could be the same opportunity.

The mare winced at the thought of being struck by lightning, and a small, sympathetic smile graced her dark lips. "I'm terribly sorry to hear that, Iphiclus," Romani responded, picking her words carefully, "That sounds... Terribly painful, I'm sorry that I can't do anything to help your pain. But... Perhaps I can offer you somewhere that you can recuperate?" Here she paused, head lifting upwards. With a quick snap of her head, Romani tossed her cumbersome forelock from her crisp azure eyes, the cerulean pools focusing once more on the winged stallion.

"I come from a herd land to the west called the World's Edge; it isn't terribly far. The Edge can offer you a place to rest, and our dear doctor can help tend to your wounds... If you even wanted, you could call the Edge your home, should you desire to stay in Helovia." With a tilt of her head, Romani continued on, her voice dropping and almost taking on a pleading tone. "Please, Iphiclus, allow me to help you. The weather is only growing colder nowadays, and if you remain out in the fury of Frostfall in your condition, well... I fear what might become of you."

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because he Loves What is Behind Him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!