the Rift

[PRIVATE] Relentlessness || Rafe

Chemical Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I found myself in a situation, and needless to say, I still didn't know my way around this place. Somehow, I had followed my nose to a very sweet smelling scent. It was strong and compelling; just something that my wary mind could not just analyze, even with the help of my nostrils.

I also found myself tending to sleep during the day and come out when the sun began to sink below the earth's blanket. It was as if I had turned nocturnal since arriving here. This oncoming night was no different.

My sturdy body was lurking in the tree line, wings tucked tightly to my body. I was waiting for the last beam of sunlight to slowly slink away before I emerged from the cover. It was protection for right now against the sun's dying rays. Once they hit my black coat, I would stand out with ease.

The night, the shadows, and the darkness was my friend. I found comfort within these factors. My ink black pelt blended in and I could weave in and out of the grass easily without being detected. That was, of course, unless someone was being extremely observative and just so managed to spot me or hear my close to dead silent feet.

Watching the sinking sun, I soon began to think. Not just think either, but actually thinking my life over. I thought about what was important in my life. I thought about what was going on in my life. I thought about who was important in my life. After thinking a bit, I had come to many conclusions. Before I could actually think about these conclusions, I got another large whiff of the sweet smelling grass ahead of me. With that, I also snapped out of it and noticed that the small amount of light that could get through the mist, had died completely.

I slowly began to emerge from the trees, staying low to the ground. My shifty, crimson eyes scanned everywhere across the field. I couldn't see close to anything but I tried. I also took many deep whiffs of the surrounding air, trying to get a scent of anyone else. I smelt nothing besides the aroma of the grass. I then lowered my head to get a bite of these sweet smelling plants and my mouth was met with what felt like heaven. Needless to say, my ears twitched in every direction, listening for any sound. My eyes stayed looking upwards, shifting at every moving shadow. My body was in defensive mode.

"Talk" - Actions

Rafe Posts: 30
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
Tamme

RAFE</style>
  The coldest blood runs through my veins</style>

Since the Grey had established themselves in the Foothills, business had picked up, though not in any particular manner that was useful to him. The bloody stallion was eager for blood and battle, having not been able to participate in the invasion himself. While loyal to the Grey, he was becoming restless, tired of watching tensions rise and simply wanting them to lash out. If he was being honest, the need for war and glory works like a drug, a panacea to the storm beneath the cold and cruel exterior, but being honest with one's self was better left for cold, lonely nights when little else could occupy the mind.

One such evening, Rafe found himself wandering to keep his eager body and armored mind distracted. A narrow path just outside the borders of the Foothills caught his attention, and he wound up the walk way with steady, solid steps, not a single rock causing him to falter. Muscles slid easily beneath his coat that seemed to steal the moonlight into its black and bloody depths. Eyes, icy blue and just as cold as the sea stared out from beneath dark sockets, scanning the horizon on instinct.

The seasons were changing. He could feel it acutely. Hairs on his body grew thicker and longer, and the nights turned almost frosty, especially at this elevation. A few, humid breaths of white puffs moved past his lips, defined faintly in the blackness as he crested the path and found his way onto the platform in the skies. Night seemed a perilous time to be in such a place with the sheer edges obscured by shadow and mist, but he reveled in the danger, the heart-pounding risk of being able to plunge to your death.

A deep breath told him that he was not alone, nostrils quivering in the air as the strange scent of another hit him, but she must be well hidden in the mist and of dark color. Rafe thought he could make out a vaguely equid shape, so he let out a deep call, altering her to his presence. He was not a complete ass. Well, maybe. Everything did have an ulterior motive. Once close enough to see, Rafe noticed her tension that coiled from her back to her loins, the frequent rotation of her ears and flash of eyes as they moved. Was she running from someone?

"Good evening," he rumbled, voice smooth like velvet with a masculine, charming tenor. The warmth in his tone was severely offset by the brutal iron cold of his blue eyes that seemed to swallow every ounce of good into a bottomless hole.

Unregistered

A woman who's been to hell and back is not afraid to be licked by flames nor to walk upon burning hot ashes.

A rumbling voice erupted into the atmosphere. Much like an earthquake, it was unexpected and extremely shocking. Especially for me, considering that I had been so observative. Almost no one evaded my senses and with that came the biggest surprise. The fact that he had managed to get this close.

Much like a wild equine spotting a predator, I instantly tear my head away from eating the grass with a jerk. My entire body lurches rapidly and lunges backwards and away from the new stranger. I then so continue to back up a few good more steps, with my ears pinned back to my ears. My wings are turned outwards instantly and in an utmost defensive step to make myself appear much larger than I really am, almost like an owl does.

Good evening. His warm voice had given a warm feeling but his cold blue eyes told of another story. I had no room to talk much, however. My bloody crimson eyes were churning, much like a lava pit. My midnight black body was tense and coiled, every ounce of muscle flexed and showing. The red markings upon my body followed suit where ever they lied, taking shape of the muscle they laid on top of.

My ears flicker but soon return to their pinned position. I slightly lower my wings, readying them for flight if the need arise. I, however, didn't find that that would be happening. "Good evening, indeed, stranger." It was short and brief as I was still attempting to see what just happened.

My eyes flicker to every ounce of his body, analyzing any possible movements that would indicate an attack- but what is this? I just now notice that he not only has one dagger but rather five? Perhaps four? This lighting was terrible along with the mist. "Beautiful place, isn't it." My body and mind was much more primitive than I thought. Perhaps withdrawn was the word.
image credits

Outcast
Tamme

ARM YOURSELF
Because no one else here will save you and I will replace you

She was not a wispy mare. The way her body tensed and coiled in surprise as his presence more or less appeared from her periphery actually posed a legitimate threat. She was shorter, yes, but her build was thicker than his. In a way, she seemed build for strength when he was build for finesse. Naturally it would be that way given that he had four, towering weapons along his brow and poll and she had but her wings to offer a defense. Her body would even them in war, he thought, and the fact that she was of a thicker frame did not make her any less beautiful. In fact, it made her more so because she was dangerous, deadly - a challenge.

The natural defense was apparently to lift her wings, allowing the wind to glide over and under the feathers that rustled quietly. Ears were pinned as if he were a threat, and the only offer of good will he gave was a simple 'good evening'. It hardly seemed enough, but she seemed to relax her wings. (Or was she preparing them for flight still? He did not know).

Black hooves stopped near the mare, and he gaze through the fog, trying to find the edges that were taunting him with their obscurity. She was not a solid black mare, of course. Though the darkness troubled his vision, he believed a deep crimson to mark her body and wings, a crimson which would match her eyes? Perhaps. Light would make his assessment easier, but the darkness was almost preferred, especially here.

He commented on the beauty of the land, and that was not a concept he was used to exercising. What was left of his soul died long ago, or that was what he preferred to tell himself. Emotions were a liability, a weakness he could not afford. Was it beautiful? Did he have a preference? He would take her word for it. "Mhm," he rumbled in an affirmative, cold gaze sweeping over the land, searching for a particular reason for this beauty and finding none. The cold, unforgiving ocean of a look turned back to her. "I have not seen you before. Are you new? Are you seeking a place to live? Perhaps danger to chase?" he asked, not willing to play all of his cards so quickly.

Unregistered

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

Not much of a talker I see. Oh how awkward this would be. By attempting to draw the conversation away from how nervous and wary I had brought the subject right back to me. Of course, I would not attempt to be impertinent. That never arose with a potential ally unless hostility was given in return. I had already proved myself on that statement; a rock that I could step on without worrying if it would tremor and quake. I had to enervate my insecurities.

"Mhm. I have not seen you before. Are you new? Are you seeking a place to live? Perhaps danger to chase?"

Information was sought from this individual and I must play my cards wisely. A wrong move and I could give everything about me away. A wrong slip-up and my words could send off red flags. However, I was sly like a fox and wise like an owl. Hesitation would definitely send up a red flag and so to prevent any suspicion other than my nervous and shifty behavior I kept my words flowing smoothly. I made sure I didn't answer to quick or to late; just normally.

"I've been here a little bit. Still familiarizing myself with the lands and races. From what I've been told, I'm making sure that I don't stray too far north." I stop talking, lowering my head to grab another mouthful of the precious, sweet grass. My fiery, crimson eyes never left his. His seemed to be filled with no emotion.

"I've found comfort within myself, prefer to stay that way. As for chasing danger, I prefer to mind my own until I am provoked."

Lots of questions for someone who just came up on a stranger. My voice was not provoking nor cold. Just there. Little to no emotion was put behind it. Much like a living being that was breathing and alive but not actually living; just rather there.

"But enough of me. I have not a clue of even your name, stranger. Chemical."

[[Sorry for the late reply. x3 *facepalm*]]

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

gas mask< a href="http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/friesian%20horse">horsepattern

Outcast
Tamme

ARM YOURSELF

Rafe stood still, quietly, his gaze unwavering and scrutinizing. Something about her words rang... off. She was too fit and too direct with her words, but was she simply nervous or hiding? Perhaps he would follow and find out. Spying was not usually his style, but when the situation demanded stealth, he would obey. She mentioned the north and obviously was referring to the Aurora Basin. His leaders were negotiating with them as they spoke, he would assume. What was there to fear besides their obvious desire for isolation?

When she turned her head to the ground to eat, he did not move, but his mane and tail was caught by the wind, tangling it around his horns and hind legs. He barely noticed and would not care if he did. "Fear is in the mind. My leaders are speaking with the north, currently. I doubt avoiding them would gain you anything in particular; you should just respect borders," he said simply, tactically. What was that phrase? Curiosity killed the cat? But cats had nine lives, so what was one less?

The bloody colored stallion raised a brow at her statement, snorting. "Well that is an unexciting life. You can spend eternity avoiding conflict and never live." He said with little judgement in his tone. He was not one to judge. But he was one to tell others when their choices would net them no loss or gain.

She asked about him after telling him that her name was Chemical. A poisonous one perhaps? Something toxic? Mutagenic? Soothing? "I am Rafe," he replied simply. "I am a warrior with the Grey, though I will eventually make Executioner if I have the proper motivation and circumstances. My life is not idle, and I would prefer it to contain more violence." He did not know what to do without the distraction of blood. There was too much time to get into his own head, and that was a place he would rather not be.

"So, are you going to continue along your hum-drum path of boredom? I can offer you an intriguing solution. The Grey is well known, well respected, and well feared. We have taken contracts from the gods themselves, one that I fulfilled." Rafe smirked a little. "What is living without a little danger?"

Unregistered

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

Rafe was his name, and he was a warrior with some group called the Grey. Seeking to be executioner? Perhaps I was not the only one to have ended a life in this congregation. Especially one whom had just admitted to also be seeking more violence. I took a mental note of how open he appeared to be about it. My mind first thought it was a bluff but his body language, appearance, and mindset said otherwise as far as I could tell.

As the multi-horned male continued to speak, I simply stood and listened. My head was raised slightly, but not in a cocky or prideful way. A simple way of that dangerous sickness called curiosity. It could and had lead many to death before. Yet his words intrigued me. My strong and hardened, black mind quaked with the fact that these minuscule words were grabbing my attention.

He spoke more of this 'Grey' and even contracts with the Gods, themselves. Speaking high of these was not impressing me anymore, but rather making me grow even more suspicious. Then he smiled and invited me to join this supposedly feared, well-respected group. It was a stronghold if this being proved to be true. On the contrary, I would pay the price of being perhaps attacked with my life by following him back. I needed more information from an unbiased mind, as I knew much too little.

"Rafe, I appreciate your offer, but I simply ask of you to see where I am coming from. I'm slightly new and do not trust a soul." Nor anyone I've met in a matter of minutes, I shift my wings slightly, they slowly begin to creep out of their defensive position. They do however, prepare for flight, as I feel as though I'm wearing out my welcome.

"I would prefer to collect more information before making any decisions. Your offer intrigues me, however. Where might I find you again for such another chance?"
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

gas maskhorsepattern

Outcast
Tamme

ARM YOURSELF

Rafe listened to her reply, watching the way she ruffled her feathers, and he nodded in understanding. He had no reason to be suspicious of her actions or behavior, but as a warrior with a broken past, he had to explore all avenues. Trust was not easily given, but she seemed nice enough. Like a benevolent thunderstorm, if there was such a thing.

He observes her preparation with her wings, wondering if she would scale the skies to escape conversing with him. The blood stallion could not imagine that spending time speaking with him would be overly entertaining, so he would understand the desire to simply fly away - she had that ability, and he could not chase her down.

"Mmm. A smart choice is an informed choice," he replied. "You can find me in the Windtossed Foothills which is located south east of this very place." The stallion shifted his weight onto his solid, hind hooves and began to turn to head back down the narrow, winding path to the earth below.

Then, he turned his cold, emotionless gaze. "You will be presented with many options. Make the right one." With those words spoken, he began his descent.