the Rift

[PRIVATE] Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Coolness envelops him, caresses his limbs, and still he cannot believe he is home at last. The Dragon's Throat was arid and dry, and he had ached for the mists and wooded shores of his home with a ferocity that made staying in the desert's grasp difficult. But he is home, and that is all that matters. Orangemoon was thick on the earth, a carpet of fallen leaves softening even the heaviest of hoofbeats, giving off a moist and earthen scent that tickled his nose delightfully. It is drastically cooler, and dew droplets cling like tiny pearls upon the delicate fringe of his individual feathers, glinting in the pale light that flooded through the canopy overhead. There is a soft phoenix glow on the horizon, a stuttering ember that bleeds onto the ocean as if there is nothing separating sky and water. Subtle sounds echo around his ears, little things he always heard and yet never focused to heavily upon. Now, with his heart and his hooves finally in the proper place, he let himself listen to the tiny bits of life in the World's Edge. Fireflies, tree frogs, and nightingales all giving their voices to the song that began to weave and clutch around him like a loving blanket. The remaining leaves overhead danced in soft breezes, and the stars that were beginning to prick the velvet navy sky flickered in and out of life as the thin membranes fluttered and veiled them with every sigh of wind. From this backdrop of soft twilight echoes comes a note far purer, far stronger. It is silken and exotic, a hiss of sound with the trill of a bird far sweeter than those in the trees cocooned inside. Attentively he pricks his audits, robin egg blue irises pausing in their loving admiration of nearby surroundings to focus on a point that does not rest within his vision. It is a summons, that is clear to him. So soon after his hooves have touched home soil? It is a blessing. Something in him quakes with a desire to see his family, to clasp his rank brother close and feel that he is a part of something far larger once more. In the southern sands of their sister herd, he had been the odd one out, the blotch of black on a perfect white sheet. Here, he was nothing but a beloved sibling, a trusted partner, a friend. A familiar face.

Heartstrings sing, and with them come the shift of his appendages. Large pillars surge into motion, an eager colt in the body of a massive brute. Home, he is home, and he will no longer feel lonely or tense. Dew is stubborn on his locks and feathers, but he feels no need to shake them free. Kaj only hears the song of his Queen in his ears, a lull as strong and familiar as the crashing waves that formed their home's borders. It is similar to Akaith's call, but with a resonance that reminds him that the Queen and her mate were not pure of blood to one species. Even so he has not yet gazed upon her draconic form, as familiar as the song may be to his senses. Dying carmine and tangerine battled against the overwhelming power of the night sky with its elegant sweep of obsidian swirls and deep beryl hints. Broken only by the dots of moonbathed stars, their mistress and patron of the land elusive as ever, appearing in the sky at random behind swathes of clouds and lingering daylight. Kaj gazed upon this dazzling display as he followed the siren's call, heart beating with fierce love for the sky that was shielded from view in part by the towering trees and their tiny flags of pumpkin and bloody cherries. Every exhalation was in part a snort, and the chill of the eve brought about small clouds of silver, a sign of cold that was still warm against his visage. Kaj had never felt such a deep love for his home until he returned from such a long journey.

In the fading light he spots her, members already at her bosom, burning the color of liquid gold and deep sunshine. She glitters like every precious gem Kaj can name, large and magnificent, awesome and irretrievable from the throne she does not perch upon. It is not something she builds around her, rather something each member of her family sat her upon like a pedestal. Kaj did not doubt that every heart beat for Mirage, that the rush of adrenaline in their veins as battle called dizzied them because of her. Like a black widow she had stretched her silken silver threads to the soul of every follower, and yet she was as naive to her own sway as a lamb. A deep affection flowed inside the pale sunbeam of a stallion, a loyalty that would have him bearing the status of WingLead with pride, and one that would bow his head and knee as he approached. Massive wings folded close, swallowing up the night air and tucking close to warm sides. He pays his respects, approaching at a diagonal from his Queen. Wing stretches only on one side as he passes, harmless feathers passing near her in an attempt to brush against leathery wing or lean shoulder. A greeting, a sign of dedication and trust. A way to show her how much he valued her, and how happy he was to be home once more.

Gliding past in silence he next seeks out the ebony brute that was his partner, smile warming a bright and welcoming face. Oh such joy! He is singing inside, chanting the mantra of 'home' with such reverence it is as if he is praying to the Goddess above after achieving salvation. A man dying of thirst tasting the first cool sweep of liquid, a drowning one who has reached the shore or found something to keep him afloat. Kaj is at peace, and yet his legs quake like those of an infatuated lass, heart racing and skipping in exuberance. Strange, he finds it, how he can feel so at home and safe, and yet still be exploding with graciousness and joy inside. Destrier is in his sights, and at his side stands a dainty feminine figure draped in melted chocolate and framed by smoky curls with subtle streaks of white ash. She is young, but Kaj remembers her being so much smaller when he had left. Her name escapes him, he does not know her personally, but there is knowledge inside that she is the daughter of the stud at her side. Like teardrops, alabaster runs down the side of her visage, and yet she is a pretty doll despite the large breeds of her dam and sire. Kaj is already taken with her, his heart enveloping any child and holding them close, cooing and rocking them without their knowledge. Friendly dip of crown is given to the yearling, smile still a bright glow. Wing extends towards her, allowing her to decide if the final inches will be taken for contact to be made. Then he focuses on his partner, and a broad grin takes over the sunny smile. Same wing rose and draped over Destrier, muzzle reaching out to brush and bump playfully should he choose to reciprocate. No words are needed from the quiet stallion, for he speaks more with his motions and touches than any verbal gift. There is a playful excited glow in his irises, an almost childish joy brightening him from the inside as if seeing the dark equine had lit a fire inside his skin. He is like a puppy, grin mischievous as he attempted to bump shoulders and nibble at Destrier's closest ear. Words are written in every twitch of muscle; It's so good to see you again. I missed you. How have you been? I just want to feel you, brother, and know I mean something to you. Was I forgotten? Did you miss me too? Kaj was a creature of touch and kinship, and sometimes could be overbearing. But Destrier had seen the serious side of Kaj, the lion that lurked beneath the surface kitten. There was nothing to hide from his brother, no need to impress or awe him. Destrier knew the power Kaj held, had seen it when the trespasser Mirage had warned them of had appeared in a flock of tiny foals and a single lass. What was left to change how the shadowy brute viewed him? Kaj had never been anything less than honest, showing every corner of his soul to anyone who asked to see it. Easily swayed attention was soon grabbed, and the pale golden kitty was off to play with a new object of interest.

Bluejay orbs flicker to the lady he has accompanied for the season. She is still gorgeous, and he dares not ask her age, for she still holds an air of control and lurking power. At her side is yet another little one. She, he recognizes. They have not had time to associate much, but her name is like a comforting, helpful whisper in his inner thoughts. Tandavi. Auburn chestnut, gleaming in youth and a newness that kept her coat young and delicate, untouched by harsh weather and injury. Gold glimmers upon her ankles and arches upon her face, speckling her in every area as if kissed and cried over by the Sun Lord himself. And yet in her visage Kaj sees only the crescent of her mother. She is who he turns to, Rishima. Like the ever-changing faces he has presented to those he had already greeted, his relationship with her changes his features once more. To her he gives a soft smile- a sparkle of eyes and fond twist of lips that shows her how endearingly he holds her in his heart. She is precious and wise, strong and delicate, mysterious and blunt all at once. In their time together as swapped members, she had become a very dear friend, even if he was unsure if she felt the same. The golden lion moved towards the pair, and pale velvet nose extended to a darker counterpart. Though they had separated at the border, he is still relieved to see her safe, though no harm would befall her in the protection of their home. In his body language, just as with Destrier, he speaks to her. Declaring how happy he was to see her once more, and how much he enjoyed simply being in her presence. Cloud-soft azures then flicker to the babe at her hip, quiet and complacent. It is almost odd, but knowing Rishima from their travels he is not truly surprised. Breath puffs towards her tiny face as he lowers his crown once more, smiling playfully at the little one. Winking and flicking his audits at her, he flicked a pale gold and silver mane over one strong shoulder and shifted to listen to his Queen.

The arrival of one more is noted, but Paladin is only a name and a face to Kaj. They have not interacted, but Kaj knew the warrior- for the way he shifted and stood was obvious enough, even if Kaj had not been there when he had joined the Edge- was a wise and resilient soul. Clearly he was worthy of the Edge title if Mirage had accepted him. So yet another curl of lips greeted the oddly painted stud, changing once more, shifting as easily as sunlight through the overhead canopy in his expressions. Regal, serene, brotherly. But there will be no introduction, no greeting or official welcoming for Paladin from the shimmering male. Even with the touches he had given out so freely, the mists clung to his dehydrated locks, raining diamonds of moisture upon his flanks and cheekbones, glittering like teardrops upon his wings. Beside Rishima he waits, and familial love is soon replaced with an expression of focus and seriousness. It is mildly strange to look at a dragon and hear his Lady's voice, but it wasn't something Kaj couldn't handle. So he patiently stood through what she had to say, one wing extended over Rishima and Tandavi's spines in an almost idle fashion, protecting them from the chill and the fat drops of water that slid off the leaves and branches overhead despite the lack of rain. Rishima slid forward after Destrier spoke, her own melodic vocals taking the stage while Kaj watched and shielded her babe from a foe that would not harm her.

Masculine voice rings out once again, and his gaze switches from Destrier and Rishima to Paladin. Only when all fell quiet and the older warrior's words faded into nothing but the quiet drop of water upon the carpet of decaying leaves below did Kaj speak. "Magic was reserved only for females where I hail from. I cannot guarantee that I will know much of it, or how it works, but I will aid any and all in their journey towards such a gift. Edge or otherwise." Deep voice shook his chest as it rumbled out, sincere and truthful. Knowledge of magic, or of the Helovian gods and traditions, was not a gift bestowed upon him. Even so, he would give his strength and aid to any who desired to strengthen their bodies or minds through magical means. Paladin, however, did bring up a truly valid point. "He speaks true, my Lady. What may be seen as cruel, destructive, or atrocious may not always be used loosely and without care. Is it to be our decision whether the individual will use it for a pure purpose? It would require some sort of judgement, I assume." Shoulder shifted minutely, a clear sign he had no partial stance on the matter. If something had to be met for them to pass whatever was placed as a requirement, Kaj wouldn't mind. Judging character based on his own observations was not something he was bothered by either. Yet, one last thing still tickled at his mind, a question that needed to be asked before he could close what he wanted and needed to say. "My Lady, I must ask, if only for clarification. Will our services stand alone? Is it within our rights, and in alignment with your morals, to ask for something in return? An equivalent exchange of something the Qian will value? Such as neutrality from a satisfied individual towards us? I only fear that we will aid them, and they will turn on us with the magic we have helped them acquire, especially if we are not allies." The Basin flashed through his mind, an arena he had yet to fight in, a path he had yet to travel. Still, he would never forgive them for placing the scar Mirage wore upon her sleeve, for holding her and other members captive in their snowy prison.

Softly he exhaled, delighting in the slow burn of his shoulder muscle as he created a canopy over any who desired to use it. Though it was amusing to imagine Destrier- of whom was equal in size to Kaj- huddling beneath his wing to hide away from the rain. "I will go where you wish and help whomever you may find before I do, my Lady. To any in our family who need guidance or knowledge of the gods, I am not the one to turn to for experience or wisdom. But I will give anything I have to you should you need it. My Queen, should we speak of the equality the Qian and the Edge wish to promote to those without homes in the Threshold? Should this be a new addition to our recruiting?" Excitement flared like sapphire sparks in his gaze, hard as he tried to hide it. Leading home lost souls was his favorite thing to do to help the herd, and now that he was home at last he intended to work even harder than before in his duties. Any free time would be devoted to giving newcomers a safe haven under the misty boughs above. With that, the lion closed its maw and went quiet, finding no other queries within its mind.

KAJ
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts
image credits
table by whit

Messages In This Thread
Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Mirage - 05-25-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Laila - 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Kaj - 05-28-2013, 11:14 PM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Sulwyn - 05-29-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Mikali - 05-30-2013, 03:21 AM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Thor - 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Twilight || Compulsory Herd Meeting - by Lace - 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM