the Rift

A beast of a burden

Lyander Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I believed in your confusion

It had taken longer than he ever cared to admit that he could break away, that he could travel his own road and go his own way. The devotion and loyalty he had shown his own family had been misguided and abused. He had done things in the name of family honor that were no more honorable than kicking a dying man. How had his talents and gifts been wasted all these long years but no longer. Lyander was making his own way in the world now and oh what a world it was. He had never known such magic and mystery existed in the world until he took that first step away from his oppressors. His eyes had been opened to the wonder this world encompassed and he was little more than a small child marveling in awe. At least at first he until he discovered there was a darker side to all this, but there lived a darker, underside to every rock and tree that inhibited this world. Everything had that little snippet of evil, that little swathe of good. It was the ying and yang and Lyander had experienced first hand.

His travels had led him to many new and strange things, and now they led him down a path, little would did he know, that would entwine with destiny. He was meant to come here, he was find to find his way through this wooded tangle of forest. Although at the time, this was all youthful adventure but still he could feel like a prickle at the base of his spine, like the coming storm electrifying the air. He was on the verge of something great.

The black stallion made his way precariously, but eager to explore. He was tall and slender, and moved more like a graceful stag through this wood than equinekind. It had always been in his nature, his calling, that unparalleled grace and agility. His leonine tail whipped with excitement of the unknown as the lilac of his eyes shown bright with curiosity and intelligence. The stallion stopped suddenly as he heard the distinctive sound of a branch crackling under the weight of another. “Hello?” He called out, his voice strangely deep and masculine for such a body as his.

Ooc: I am sorry, new character and I feel like this is a bit of a ramble, also my posts will get longer.

you were so completely torn

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

A menagerie of faces pass through the darkness underneath her eyelids; friends, old and new, sinners in white and saints in black; horns, wings, nothing at all. You've all drowned, she wants to tell them, she wants to apologize, she wants to drown them with her tears and breath life into their blue lungs.

You are all gone.
You can never come back

Her eyes snap open.

She runs.

Black legs take her fast and far through the forest. Briars tangle in her hair, leaves cling to her dark winter coat - gashes open on her skin as she bolts through the underbrush; but she does not relent, does not stop. If she has to outrun her demons, she'll dash a thousand miles; if she has to see them to their graves, she'll ready her horn.

Though her muscles ache and her breath runs short, Huyana continues, tired cloven hooves skittering and stumbling over sticks and stones. She slows to an amble, breathing hard as she relents, nearly falling over a decaying branch. The girl seems more a vagabond than a scholar in truth, a child of the wilderness and forest instead of the rain-daughter she truly is. A close-by sound startles her; her blue irises are eclipsed by deathly white, her ears snap tightly to her poll. She lashes her tail, the tuft of hair curling around her hocks, whispering like snakes. The voice is masculine, deep, and it makes her think of wind billowing through branches at night. There is nothing to fear, she tells herself, but Huyana is not so sure she can believe herself nowadays.

Eventually, curiosity bought out caution and with shaking steps, she makes her way toward the sound, ears tilted forward with interest. Its architect does not become readily apparent in the gloom of the forest, but her breath catches when she sees him - a man dressed in funeral black with eyes like violets. In color, he is not so different than herself, but where the rainchild is quite ruffled up, he is dapper and handsome. She forces a smile for his sake, eyeing his horn with glum comfort - at least she can offer him a home. "You are in Helovia," Huyana says, quiet as spring rain and just as cold. She wonders if he is a warrior, if he will bring any more violence into this place she tentatively calls home. Hooves pause, and her tail flicks dismissively. Upbringing is no reason to refuse one from a hearth; he does not seem fierce. The ice in her eyes subside into puddles, and her smile melts into something much warmer. "Do you seek a home?"

& it's peaceful in the deep,
cathedral where you cannot breathe

Unregistered
His ears twitched with interest as the unknown specter made herself known, his startling lilac eyes watched her with a gentle admiring curiosity. She appeared close to his own age and that singular fact amused him, he couldn’t remember the last time he’d been around someone of his own age. Most of the nomads he’d come across were ancients. He watched her move through the brush toward him, more observant perhaps, than she would like. He noticed the small wounds opened, the exerted breathing, the broken briars hanging in her mane as she were a woman pursued. He found it perplexing and tore his eerie lilac eyes away from her long enough to peer behind her fully expecting to see her pursuer, but no one ever came. There was just the stillness that only orangemoon could bring, and the chilled wind whistling through the trees. They were alone.

He brought his attention back to the lady, just as she spoke to him. You are in Helovia She said, and he smiled at her. It was friendly, boyish as her words rolled down his hearing like raindrops on glass. “It’s nice of you to assume that I am lost.” His words were gentle, but deep like water trickling in the deepest darkest caverns of the earth. “But not all who wander are lost” He said, taking few steps toward her. Lyander had traveled from warmer climates and had yet to begin work on his winter coat. His black hide was still summer slick and as polished as the obsidian horn that spiraled from his forehead. Although Lyander had no knowledge of the lands he’d wandered into he appreciated that this mare could give it a name. “I suppose I’m exactly where I’m meant to be.” He said, his philosophical tone light.

She asked if he sought a home, and Lyander took another few steps toward her, finally close enough to scent her in earnest committing it memory. He watched her smile, and felt himself return it. “Perhaps, until you asked me at this very second I hadn’t given it much thought.” He said, answering truthfully. “I had to escape what I would have called a home just a few moons ago, so you’ll forgive me if I answer with some hesitation. Are you offering me a home?” He asked, moving so that he is half a horse length away, he could almost reach out and touch her if he wished.

Aurora Basin Scholar
Krazie

Raven - he is a raven, shiny and charming with a gentleman's tongue and Poe words. "All who are lost wander," she retorts, tone bright with interest but something darker in her eyes, the shadow of a coming storm. He comes closer, a shadow much taller than she, but the girl stands steadfast, the curve of her eyes reflecting his face, his horn, those violet eyes. I suppose I am exactly where I'm meant to be, he says, eliciting a soft smile from the winter-darkened roan. How envious she is, how comforting to know you are where you belong. "Not many are fortunate enough to say that," she murmurs, watching him intently from beneath dark eyelashes.

A gust of wind parts her thickening winter fur, revealing a flash of sterling underneath. Huyana shivers - winter is coming, she notes grimly, studying the forest behind this raven with careful eyes. Soon snow would begin to fall, and the land would be covered in a thick blanket of pallor. There are many ways in which you can drown, and she knows winter can bring about many kinds of suffocation. A quaver runs down the delicate line of her spine once more. The winds stops but for a moment, lingering far above the two unicorns in the canopy, where it howls and complains. At the cue of his voice, Huyana returns her blue gaze to him, her mouth a grim line. He moves ever closer, she notes, standing with her knees together. "Yes," the girl replies, casually flicking an ear backward. "It is a green valley far to the north, circled by mountains; a haven for unicorns," she tilts her head lightly, observing him with all the quiet of a curious gull. "Winter is soon to come, and it is not kind to wanderers like you."

Unregistered

At her words, the young man smiles a smile of friendly exuberance, he hadn’t expected quite that answer. “I didn’t expect to be so well matched.” He said with a chuckle of amusement. It was airy, and good natured. He had never been so light hearted before. Leaving had in the end, been the best medicine for him. As his eyes settled on hers he took a moment to search them, catching the fleeting glance of a shadow. Ah, but he was a master of shadow and knew it well. Once, he had possessed the power to bend them to his will, to slip in and out of them like water, to cast them forth and call them back. The power to take all traces of the light away and leave nothing but the crushing darkness but all that had been stripped from him at his unceremonious departure. He supposed they might have even cursed his name.

"Not many are fortunate enough to say that” Lyander gave a small toss of his stick straight dark mane as he sighed gently. “I like the think that the universe knows what she’s doing.” He had taken all the bad and what little good could be eked out of his past and toss it up to this idea. All that he had gone through, endured was to shape, mold him into someone he needed to be in his present. It was already planned out, he was merely along for the ride and his decisions did nothing but put curves in a course already laid out for him. “A green valley, surrounded by mountains.” He repeated after her envisioning the sight in his mind’s eye. “Your home sounds lovely.” He said kindly, and after a moment, broke out into a smile. “And what of the star gazing there?” He asked, his eyes drawing away from her as he raised his head to look up as the first stars of twilight began to burn into the soft purple sky, similarly reflected in his eyes. “You know, where I grew up you couldn’t see the stars. Too many wars, too much magic gone awry, the air was polluted and all you could ever see was a thick, sickly yellow fog. We had healers who used their magic to purify the air, most lived their entire lives for that very purpose. Never allowed to have real lives, how sad is that? Yet they glorified these beasts, said that their sacrifice was necessary so the rest of us could live.” It had been a while since he’d had an actual conversation with a companion. “I have developed such an admiration for those tiny twinkling lights.” He said, turning to smile at her.

As she spoke of winter, Lyander nodded his agreement. “She’s quite the cruel mistress indeed.” He said, and seemed to have made of his mind regarding her home. “If I’m to accompany you home, shouldn’t I at least know your name?” He asked with a boyishly handsome grin. “I’m Lyander.” He said, volunteering his own.

Aurora Basin Scholar
Krazie

Huyana decided she rather likes this man with the violet eyes. He is not weary, he is not bitter - he is a clever one, for certain. And what of the stargazing there? he asks, eliciting a thoughtful smile from the roan girl. "On clear winter evenings you can see nothing more than stars," she replies, a passing look of whimsy on her face. "At times, the night sky is flush with celestial color - borealis, they call it." Her head tilts lightly, and eyes of summer-rain blue scrutinize him carefully. He recounts a story (she loves stories) which seems all too familiar these days. Sadness flickers in her gaze, a brief remembrance of her own doomed home - why couldn't the earth be sterner with her children? Why must she suffer their injustices, their disgraces. She remembers the sons of gods, greedy and impetuous, casting their spells upon the earth for a greater dominion but ultimately failing; she remembers shades, the corrupted shadows of mothers, fathers, children, lovers, long cast to eternal darkness. Huyana shudders, remembering the marks they left on her body as she tried to escape. "Greatness is often a guise for slavery," she offers, her voice barely above a whisper; the quiet pattering of water on stone. He smiles, and the rainchild wants to offer him words, wisdom, an object to comfort him, but all she can muster is mindful silence and grief.

Lyander asks for her name, which makes the roan pause. "Call me what you'd like," she says. Only one creature in Helovia knew her true name, and he was death and she knew it would never escape his stone lips. Dismissing this thought with a careless flick of her tail, she searches for that northern path that would lead them home. Huyana gives pause, looking back at her new companion. "It's a long trek north," the rainchild murmurs, deciding he would be able to pull through alright. The first evenstars began to pierce the dusk, and a familiar unease burned a hole through her gut. "It will be dawn when we arrive - we must move swiftly."

Unregistered

Lyander could say with certainty that he was enjoying this mysterious young mare’s company. She wasn’t at all like anyone from the lands of his birth, for one she hadn’t sought to skewer him with her horn and ask questions later. Such civility was to be commended, the sheer lack of it in the world made it a near precious commodity. As she told him about the star gazing, Lyander smiled deeply, this was wonderful and pleased him immensely. As told him of the borealis, something had never seen his lilac eyes gleamed with youthful exuberance. How amazing did that sound? “I should love to see this borealis.” his leonine tail giving a quick twitch of excitement.

In all honesty, the black stallion was thankful that she had allowed him to ramble on, he had a tendency to do that especially when he had been denied the art of conversation for so long. He gave her a small dip of his head his eyes lowering apologetically for his ramble. Greatness if often a guise for slavery Lyander nodded his understanding of these words. “No truer words can be spoken for that. The great can only become so large before the cracks and fissures appear and they, in the end, inevitably crumble.”

As she was reluctant to give her name, Lyander was quite confused as to why, and why she should ever want him to give her a name. Oh, he believed himself terrible at naming. He looked to this young mare with renewed interest. Such a mystery! Although he didn’t question her actions further. Who wanted to just be given the answers when it was much more fun to work them out for yourself although it was hardly fair to compare another being to a game. This mare was anything but that although Lyander couldn’t deny the mystery was appealing.

“Hm, Let’s see.” He said, his lavender eyes narrowing as he walked from left to right in front of her, inspecting her at one angle and then the next as if this somehow this should spark something ingenious in him and he could muster something fitting. “Well I could always call you something as uninteresting as Mare.” He grinned, “But where is the fun in that.” He mused, making another pass before he seemed to come to a conclusion. “Hmmm. Very well, I’ve come to a decision. I shall call you Asteria. She was a goddess of the night and of stars, namely falling stars.” Lyander didn’t mention she was also an incredibly sad goddess who mourned each and every star that fell because that most brilliant journey they would take , streaking across the sky, was their very last for they were dying and falling to earth in a most spectacular display. Then he seemed to rethink his decision, how silly was he? In the end, he opted for something more practical. What do the others call you?” He asked.

As she seemed ready to begin to the trek to his new home, Lyander obliged, by moving to her flank signifying he was ready to follow if she were ready to lead. The excitement of the unknown knotted in his stomach and made his skin twitch but he never voiced any of this merely prepared himself for the journey, although he was thankful he wasn’t taking this alone although the dark never bothered him, that was a second home and those odd colored eyes of his allowed him to see perfectly in the dark. “Then let us make our way.”