Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex
prints-of-stock@deviantart
burtn@deviantart
kittykitty5150@deviantart

I saw the mirror starin’ back at me.
And it told me I’m a self machine
------" Tares "------

Exhaustion wraps itself around me like a warm and heavy blanket, leaving me at rest as I hide in a rocky crag in the north of the Dragon's Throat on a night lacking stars. I stand only lazily- my tail and one of my forehooves are draped over rocks, and my knees are all partially bent as I decline slowly towards the ground. There is a soft thud and a falling of a pebble into a ravine as my form lands roughly against stone, but I don't feel it as any sort of pain. The night is humid, and the breezes, which are few and far between, bring only slight relief from the heat. It is the shadow that offers me the most comfort- the shadow that hides me from the pale moonlight.

A leg that has strayed from the line of darkness catches the moon's gleam, and the scars that line it seem to glow in comparison to the night's depth of black. I pull it back and rest my head against it- I long for the company of at the very least Arbutus. I know now that I need company more than the steady burble of the river below and the uneven sounds of the night. But it is worse to know what you have lived without- I wish I had never learned.

My thin black mane falls across my vision in sheets, and so it is my ears that pick up on Arbutus' approach. Flaming, he flies up from the ravine, with the pebble I had nudged grasped firmly in his claws. I snort in acknowledgement and clear away some of the hair that obstructs my view so that I can watch his antics. As forlorn as I am, he never ceases to make me smile.

I forget the troubles of the world and my life as he scratches and bites at the pebble, trying to break it open and find a prize. It slips away and lands at my hoof, but when I nudge it towards him he returns it within seconds. The glow of his fiery form reflects off of my features and brings a pale light to rest between us. At night and in the sky he is my guide, with shining black eyes that reflect his own flames an enthusiasm. I kick the pebble again and it is once more returned.

As amusing as the game is, I can't help but think of my encounter with Aure several days prior. She was so unexpectedly wise, especially for one who had forgotten all that she had ever learned. I wonder if that sort of kindness is inherent and cannot be lost even with one's memory. I long for something as concrete as that- a rock in my life, someone or thing to lean on.

But if Aure could have been that, I flew away from her and left her behind. I doubt I've begun a strong foundation there. Arbutus, still fascinated by the pebble, tosses it up with his beak and catches it. His lights dance across the stone walls and of the ravine, and I view his childlike innocence with envy. Why had I never reclaimed that joy? What had ever stopped me but myself?

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The stars were absent as I walked through the night, exploring Dragon’s Throat all by my lonesome. I seemed to have lost my tour guide a couple of days prior, and since then I had been trying to find another pegasus, unicorn, equine, anyone to show me around, and so far: no dice. I was wishing the sky sparkled so it could guide me to a safe space to sleep tonight, when I saw a rocky crag in the distance. I sighed, content with my temporary home, and trotted towards it.

As I approached, I saw a familiar little flaming figure zip into the entrance and dart around a larger, darker figure. I stopped as my throat constricted and emotion swelled up in my chest. Anger at the abandonment was first and foremost, but joy at seeing Tares and Arbutus again was underlying despite my wish for it not to be there. Still, I did not move forward an inch, my hooves planted in the ground like trunks to the canopy of leaves and branches that was my body. There was no way I was going to run in there and immediately forgive her for leaving me in a strange new place all by myself, merely because emotion was too hard for her. I snorted angrily, and then began to calm myself. It was awful of me to blame Tares for flying away; she was skittish and scared of contact and emotion. Underneath it all, it was my fault for moving too fast, but I still firmly believed that she would never get to thoroughly cope with her past all by herself.

I began to move quietly towards the crag stopping a few feet outside the entrance, and observing Arbutus flit about inside. I stayed carefully hidden, not sure at all of what to say; still not sure my anger was completely gone. I glanced in at Tares and saw her bright yellow eyes with the tribal marking and the smooth black coat. The sight was familiar and extremely comforting, and I began to feel my anger melt away. The underlying bit of resentment still remained, as did the fear that she would simply tell me to leave and never bother her again. I grit my teeth and walked into the entrance of the cave. A soft, sad whinny escaped my lips, as I remarked forlornly, “It would seem you owe someone an apology, Tares.”

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

I first sense a change in the scene when Arbutus drops the pebble and fails to retrieve it. He cranes a long neck and lifts a crested head as if searching for something, and then in a flash he is gone, flying high above me and leaving me alone in the dark once more. I sigh, accepting my loneliness only because I know it is self inflicted. I still regret leaving Aure the way I had; it was rude to begin with, and if I was to change at all, to accept my life for what it was and then go on to improve it, I wasn't going to do it alone. I need help, and it could have been her.

The soft sound of hoofbeats catches my attention, and, with Arbutus in tow, chirping gleefully as if he has brought me a prize, I see Aure's dark silhouette in the entrance to the cave that I have chosen to rest my head. I find myself longing to see her face and the features etched within it, so without hesitation the feather in my mane sparks to life and the cave is lit by the light of my wings.

I had recognized her by her faintly lit appearance before, but now I take it in and feel a sort of comfort that accompanies it. She speaks and her voice is inexplicably soothing despite the melancholy tone she carries with it. Her words at first simply fade into the night; it takes me several moments to fully understand their meaning.

And I realize then how selfish I have been, and I despise myself for it. Iris was selfish- she brought me into this world for her own personal gain. And now I am treating Aure as if she is simply someone who can help me- I've failed to consider the possibility that each time she speaks of someone to help her find her memories, she may have been talking about me.

"You're right, I've been awful to you," I admit with exhaustion and a beckoning pull of my head back from her to the ground beside me. My wing extends upwards and forms a covering for her to rest beneath, should she wish. "Whatever you need, Aure, just ask. I won't leave you again like that, it was selfish." My voice is lowered to a soft whisper in the quiet of the night, and I lift my gaze to meet hers and take in her striking face all at once. Arbutus flits over to me and takes his place beneath my other wing to fall asleep, settling in comfortably with his pebble grasped firmly in his talons.

Unregistered

“I won’t leave you again...” Tares’ words echoed in my head, every feeling in my chest gone except for relief and comfort. I quickly stepped forward to settle under her fiery wings with a feeling of belonging. I looked up at her bright yellow eyes, begging me for forgiveness and said, “I won’t leave you like that either. And the same goes for you, Tares. Whatever you need I’m here. If you want me here, that is.” I sheepishly flung my mane over my face and averted my gaze to her legs, which I now saw were covered in scars, which only made my heart ache. I settled for looking shyly at her through my mane. “I’ve been traveling around Dragon’s Throat, looking for someone. I’m glad that it was you, even though you did take off on me. Forgive and forget, I say, and I definitely forgive you…I’m talking too much again, aren’t I?” I close my mouth, remembering how I scared her away the first time, and feeling like I never wanted that to happen again.

I let out a soft, tired whinny. I had been flying and walking through Dragon’s Throat all day now and I had not realized how exhausted I was. My wings ached pulled tight against my body and my legs and hooves were sore. I unfurled my hawk wings ever so slightly, and immediately some of the ache disappeared. I sighed happily, amazed that I had found the pair so easily. Right now, it did not matter what our pasts consisted of, what mattered was getting over them together. My eyes fluttered nearly shut and contented sleep threatened.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

She's endearing, really. It's taken me some time to figure out just why I find her kindness so comforting, but now that I have the tension in the air seems to simmer away. She offers to me the same that I extended to her, and I realize that I was foolish to not consider the option earlier. Selflessness... that is the true mark of goodness. "Thank you Aure," I answer in a whisper, doing my best to keep the volume level subdued in the cavern. I spread my fiery flight feathers out in a fan across her back when she lays down beside me with drooping eyes, and I can't help but let pleasure splash across my features. It is a good feeling to guard over others while they sleep. To be a mother, and a true mother, not one like my own, must be a blessing.

Beneath my other wing, Arbutus' flames extinguish and he curls up into a compact round lump with feathers fluffed up and eyes shut tight. In the dark night sleep rushes over all, but I feel strangely awake. There is a sensation relative to the forms beneath my wings that keeps my up, maintains my gaze out into the open sky, which flashes brightly with strokes of heat lightning. For Arbutus, I know what I feel is love. He rests beneath me and I understand the bond we have and its unshakeable strength.

But what about Aure? She rests beneath my other wing, which I have, in a moment of confidence, extended out to her. What do I feel for the gentle mare beside me? For some reason I hesitate to name it. I recall her words with a sort of bemused fondness- her tendency to ramble stirs affection within me. "No it's fine, Aure," I reply, nudging the side of her neck and taking in the pale scent of her mane gently. Despite the fact that I am the only one who she has interacted with for quite some time, I still find it strange that she smells like me- perhaps simply because I've never encountered the situation before.

Unregistered

A soft breeze tickled my cheek and woke me up, and I realized the breeze was Tares’ breath on my neck, where she is seemingly taking in my scent. I blink sleepily up at her and notice that her yellow eyes seem peaceful, for the first time since I’d met her. I smiled and gently nuzzled her neck, just to let her know that my memories had not escaped me while I sleep. Her flaming wings were still extended over Arbutus and I, in a gesture of protectiveness. I was touched by this. “You kept your wing there while I slept…Thank you.” I looked at her, my green eyes filled with gratitude that Tares was finally relaxing with me, and I knew that if I was just careful enough, this companionship could work.

As I took in her white tribal eye marking, I wondered what this feeling was that I had for Tares. Every time her wing rested on my back, it fit perfectly, and each time her nose touched my cheek, it tingled in the slightest. And yet, I still knew not what I felt. When she left me that day by the lake, the feelings of abandonment and loss had washed over me, and for days I wandered trying to find anyone to help me around. It hit me then that I was not looking for just anyone, I was searching for Tares. I settled on that we were in the beginning stages of a great friendship, and that’s why everything felt like it fit.

I stretched my wings, still achy from the long journey and position of sleep, and gently rested one on Tares’ back. The fire from her wings lit up the crag and the rocks inside were illuminated with striking shadows dancing along the walls. I turned back to her, and noticed that the flames accentuated her sharp features and lit her coat to a reddish black, and turning the tribal markings a faint orange. “Your wings can really light up a place, Tares.”

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

She is not asleep for long, and at around the same time I feel discomfort boiling within my gut and the urge to change my position, her eyes open. Night persists and falls in heavy sheets of darkness outside the entrance to the cave, at last unbroken. The heavy night storm has ceased, as has the tempest locked within my breast. I've taken time to think, and decided that whatever I feel, I've no need to examine it. I simply must keep my thoughts positive.

Aure thanks me for staying as I have, but with a shy whinny and an averted glance, I reply that "It was nothing." Not wishing to leave her side, but knowing that not standing up could be fatal, I force myself to my hooves and shake out my form. My tail flies behind and cracks softly like a whip, while my beard and mane fall in various directions and twist around my horn. On the floor Arbutus remains sleeping, warming himself now with his own flames as he senses mine leave his side. My own wings stretch and fold along my sides, and I realize that as I have stood, Aure has attempted to reach me. Her nuzzle hits my perpetually aching hock and touches the scars along my legs; her wing tickles my knee.

Gently I turn back to look at her with bright yellow eyes, and at the mention of them, I ruffle my wings lightly. "They were given to me by my father; he received it as a prize for defeating an ancient phoenix many years ago," I comment, my eyes sparkling sort of sadly at the thought of Voltaic. Surely, though, he has left this world a better place. I know I am not the only one he touched- both Onni and Cassiopeia seem to have known him at the very least.

Unregistered

Embarrassed by my awkward attempt to nuzzle her, I stood immediately and shook out my wings, making such one casually grazes her back. I silently debated whether to keep it there or move it, and ended up letting it stay. Her wings enveloped me all night, at the least I could return the favor. At the mention of her father, a wistful sadness appeared in her sweet eyes, and I caught on that he had died. “They are absolutely beautiful.” You are beautiful, I thought to myself without realizing.

My own comment surprised me. Yes, Tares was beautiful, anyone could see that but I thought it with a tenderness that I had never experienced before. This must be what friendship feels like…I told myself. Only I wasn’t quite sure I believed it. Then again, what did I know about any relationship, being the most socially awkward mare to ever exist in this world. Whatever feelings I had for Tares, second guessing them would never be a good thing. I realized I was simply lonely and this mare was technically the first company I’d ever experienced.

Lost in my own self-conscious thoughts, I was startled by Arbutus bursting into flame. I jumped a bit, and the wing I had laid on Tares’ back jostled slightly. I smiled through my embarrassment. “I’m easily startled. Anyway, if you don’t mind, what was your father like? I never knew mine.” I paused, not sure about how that last sentence came out of my mouth, and yet I knew that it was true. I timidly looked at Tares, letting her know I had just had a verbal recall of a memory or feeling. I never knew my father? That must have been awful. I wondered why I never knew him, if he had decided to leave his foals or if he was unjustly taken from my family. Then I realized I was thinking about my past again, when I should just be moving on in this new place, in a herd that I belong in. Only, was it really that awful for me to want to understand how I had grown up? It was harmless to wonder why I never knew my father. Wasn’t it? Suddenly, I wasn’t so sure. I glanced at Tares, hoping she maybe had some insight into this latest recollection.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

Once more she offers me compliments, but this time they seem deeper. Not necessarily more or less sincere, but stronger somehow; fueled by a greater emotion. I can't help but meet her gaze and keep our look steady. Her eyes... they're captivating. The touch of her wing across my back, while it sends initial shivers of reflexive fear across my hide, seems almost thrilling. I open my mouth as if to speak, but know not what to say; Arbutus aves the moment, and all attention is turned away from me. Her shock comes as no surprise, and I note it with a gentle and easy nudge to her withers. "It's quite alright, I am as well. If it weren't for our bond, half of the things Arbutus does would have scared me to death already," I assure her kindly, letting my gaze flit away quickly from her eyes and focus instead on the comforting gesture of her wing across my back. What an intricate wing- black, and built like a hawk's. How I'd always longed for such wings of my own as a child... how I'd been lucky enough to have a father as kind as Voltaic.

For as long as he cared about me enough to stick around, anyway, comes the bitter thought. I do not resent my father, I simply wish I had known him better. Wish that he had rescued me from my mother's shadow and the gleaming, judgmental eyes of the sect. The predetermined path of misery and woe impressed upon me as just a filly. Yes, I would have appreciated that.

And, as if reading my mind, Aure then changes the subject to that of my father. I'm disinclined to speak upon it, but I've a soul, and her eyes are too.. too... I can't place it, damnit, but they're too something for me to refuse her. I note the end of her statement, and with a cocked head wonder what caused her to remember the tidbit. However it came about, I feel slightly reassured that we might understand each other's situations somewhat. "I never really knew him. I was raised by my mother, amidst a unicorn group called the Sect, whilst she spied for them in a local herdland. I've heard, however, that he was noble. He was a leader and a warrior, I know that. And..." My voice trails off as the sadness fills me and the emotion becomes a struggle to contain. "...he was always kind to me. Not like my mother," I conclude with a note of finality that suggests I've spoken far more than before and that I shan't go on. Instinctively my tail wraps itself around my thigh and around my abdomen to hide the scars she left me with; the indelible marks of my haunted childhood.

Unregistered

We stared into each other’s eye for quite some time, Tares seeming caught in mine. There was just something about this mare that made me feel safe and wanted. I still wasn’t sure what it was, but as she talked about her parents, bitter sadness welled in my chest, the same emotion that was raw on her face. I was surprised I could feel what she seems to be feeling. The strong desire to make all the wrongs right in her life overwhelmed me, but there was nothing I could do. Her tail flicked up to hide the scars her mother inflicted on her as a young filly, and I could tell she wanted to say nothing else on this subject. I moved my wing in comforting small circle on her back and stepped closer so I could actually nuzzle her cheek. “We do not have to talk about it, if that is your wish. The only thing is I am not sure as to what to change the subject. Oh, this God of the Sun? I do not know about gods. There’s a subject.”

I smiled reassuringly at her, happy with my subject choice. I knew nothing about this land, and was definitely eager to know much more, now that I have taken up the position of a soldier. There were so many things Tares could teach me about this place and I was more than happy to learn anything. I was happy to learn about Tares herself as well. It was so nice that she had started to open up with me; I could feel the trust in our friendship strengthening.

Friendship. That’s what this was? Although I did not know much about having friends, I was starting to realize that friends don’t act this way around each other. Still, I couldn’t place what our relationship was. I admired Tares for her beauty, strength, knowledge, and kindness. She seemed to like me as well, even though I had not much to offer. She accepted my condition, and I hers. Her companion even accepted me. I realized again that I was overthinking our relationship once more. I smiled sweetly at Tares, ready to hear what she had to say about the gods, and happy to have my good friend by my side.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

The God of the Sun... she wants to know about him now? I had spoken of him earlier and recieved no response, I had assumed the subject was of no interest to her. And to simply change the subject like that- so abruptly... it is clear that she knows more than I want her to. I see her eyes fall to my scars and feel the circling of her wing across my back, the soft and warm touch of her nose to my cheek. As comforting as it is, do I really want this? The strange feeling of dependency upon another and their dependency on me, which is prevalent in the way she speaks of a friend to help her with her memories, feels odd.. This certainly isn't anything I've ever before considered; is it something I even desire?

The question remains unanswered and hanging, and I long to be alone once more but know better than to ask that of her. She's already been abandoned by her past, and I have promised her that I shan't leave her side again. A foolish promise to make, one made in a moment of guilty weakness, but one that I must keep. I long to sit in silence and ruminate the issue as it stands, but her question remains, and I'd be impolite to leave it unanswered. "There are three patron gods of Helovia that can be encountered at the Veins of the Gods; the Gods of the Earth and Sun, and the Goddess of the Moon. They each control separate elements, and as of late, the God of the Sun has been abusing his control more than usual," I reply bitterly, feeling my hatred for the arrogant Sun God seep out of my pores. Not anything like the Gods of Light or Sun from my homeland; not humble or caring. No, for him a meeting with a mortal is considered a deigning- an inconvenience that is undeserved.

A silence settles and my tail falls, brushing across Arbutus and waking him gently. The pebble he admires so much falls from his talons as he stretches, the clatter of it startling me and causing me to jerk my head back suddenly. The closed off cave in the dark of the night is doing nothing for my nerves, and the close quarters makes me feel stifled, when before it was a comfort. I recall Aure's fondness for flights, and with the lightning gone and Arbutus' light to guide us, I see no reason to stay cooped up.

Slowly I take steps on cleft hooves towards the entrance of the cave, letting her wing fall slowly off of my back, the question as to whether or not our relationship is deserved, desired, or even categorized, still nagging me. "Care to fly?" I ask cooly, pushing the thought aside for yet another moment. Perhaps, surrounded by dark clouds lit by the moon, I will find the answer.

Unregistered

I felt the air become a degree cooler as Tares stepped quickly out from under my wing and asked me to fly. My wing fell abruptly to the ground of the crag and I let it lie there for a moment, and then slowly retracted it to my side. I knew I had done something wrong, and yet I was not sure of what. I thought it a good idea to stop speaking about ourselves, and that maybe she wanted comfort. I snorted in frustration; this mare did not know what she wanted. Should I even bother with her, if every time she got scared, she’d close off and treat me differently? I searched for a friend, but I could not be sure that Tares was the right one, and I could not be sure that she even wanted me. The brief feeling of strength coating that bond of our friendship melted away, and I was left feeling how I felt that day at the lake: unsure how to deal with her, not positive I wanted to.

I understood the reason for her skittishness, but I was impatient; it was irritating to be so outwardly untrusted by a mare that I cared so much for. A one-sided relationship would be too much work, and I knew I did not want that. I walked in front of Tares, my eyes full of bright green flames. “I am not in this friendship if every time I put myself out there to be a comfort, I get the cold shoulder from you. There is nothing I have done wrong, and I understand how sick your past must have been. But, Tares, I know no one else in this world. I would not ever hurt a fly, and I care about you more than anything. If you do not want me here, I shall leave, but I hope that if that is what you choose, you understand that you will never be close with me again. I give you this chance. If you would like to have a caring, trusting friend in this world, one that will always listen to you and never judge, then you can follow me into the sky. If not, farewell Tares, I hope you know that our friendship would be the greatest loss to me.”

I ran to the entrance of the crag and unfurled my great black hawk wings, and let them carry me to the starless night sky, hoping with every fiber of my being that Tares with her wings of flame would be behind me.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

The ultimatum is given and the message is understood. I am to devote myself to her now, follow up on and fulfill my promise, or we are to part ways. Her confidence is sudden and overwhelming- her determination to make the relationship productive or not one at all both intimidating and threatening. I've never liked being ordered around; it brings back painful memories, thoughts of my mother's screamed whinny's and tortured neighs as she cursed my very existence. But this is a different sort of scolding, a putting me in my place and reminding me that I am a part of this world sort of lesson.

For as much as I try to deny and avoid it, I am as much a part of this land as any other. My responsibilities cannot be shirked, my relationships not always shied away from. A certain level of commitment is required of me, but I've been failing miserably, and It apparently hasn't gone without notice. She leaves my side and trots to the cave entrance, seemingly in a hurry to leave, with her last words haunting the cave I am left suddenly cold and alone in. I longed for solitude before, and now I regret the desire.

"Wait!" comes my call, almost instant, as I set off at a gallop towards the edge of the cliff outside the cave and take off with a swift rear at its edge, the snapping of my wings a clear sound even among the clatter of my hoofbeats. Arbutus swoops behind me, swiftly leading me onwards and towards Aure with his bright flame. I see her dark form as it blends into the night and follow it in earnest, beating with fiery wings only just set alight. My wings force themselves down through dry and thin air, my neck stretches forward to reach her, as if that will help me get to her more quickly. "Aure, I'm sorry! You're right, I won't leave you!" I call out into the darkness, beating faster and harder, causing my flank to twitch with the sudden increase in effort. Arbutus flies between the pair of us, showing me the way to her side and calling out his beautiful cry of mixed birdsong.

Unregistered

I heard the familiar snap of her wings and turned in the air to see a faint light zooming towards me. An uncontrollable smile ignited on my face and I could not stop my wings from carrying me towards her and Arbutus. I halted right in front of her taking in her striking eyes and soft features, knowing that if she had left me, I would have never cared for another as I had for her. I touched my nose to her and sweetly nuzzled her neck, where her muscles were clenched in the effort to get to me fast. “Relax, Tares. I am not going anywhere. If you had not flown out immediately, I would have waited in this same spot until my wings tired. I know how it feels to be abandoned by a friend, and I would never want that for you. I apologize for snapping like that, I seem to be a bit impulsive.” I smiled warmly and apologetically, but not even the slight guilt at becoming snarky with the timid mare could taint the fact that she had chosen to follow me. There was not a better feeling in the world than being wanted.

As we flew in silence, I realized how easy it was, and that the air hadn’t the need to be filled with meaningless words to feel comfortable. Two little sparrows flapped lazily past us in the night, circling around each other in perfect synchronization, making it obvious to even the most unintelligent passerby that they had known each other for a long time. A small picture of the two little birds perching on the edge of a nest filled with tiny eggs. I glanced over at Tares, wondering if she saw them too. That’s when it hit me. Friends? Who was I kidding? I mentally kicked myself, wondering how I couldn’t have seen it all along. I was slowly falling in love with the shy, sweet mare called Tares. I frowned, knowing that if I told her this, she would simply change courses and flee from me, despite her promise. I knew that if she was too startled, the promise would not matter anymore, but I was alright with that because that was just her personality. I decided to keep the revelation to myself until the time was right, as to not frighten the mare, as I had so many times already.

I snorted my flying and now tangled mane out of my face, and glanced again over at Tares. Of course, I still looked at her with the same adoration shining in my green eyes, but the adoration had a sense of deeper seriousness, that I was afraid was much too obvious. I didn’t mind that, because if the mare saw, there was a chance she felt the same way. I laughed internally at my optimism, wondering if there was really any use when unpleasant things happened so often regardless.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

Her words of comfort and dedication are assuring, and I find myself relaxing to a certain point. Still, I remain vigilant and focused on the flight, for, unlike Arbutus, I'm not built to grace the skies. It is strange how passionate she suddenly seems, as if she's at a turning point. Perhaps we both our- our relationship has just strengthened tenfold with an extension of trust and a display of loyalty. I hadn't lied before- I truly won't leave her again. And I believe her when she says the same. It is a pleasure to know that someone will be there waiting for me til their wings ache and their heart yearns- not that I long for others to suffer, but that I appreciate the fact that they are willing to on my behalf.

I have never considered myself worth very much, but clearly Aure does. One does not speak of a pebble in the same manner she speaks of me- one does not seek out a wood the way she has come to search for me. It is mildly frightening, her determination to stay by my side, but I am reminded of my father's intentions. He had intended to raise me and stay with me, and had it not been for Iris' trickery and the Sundering that separated us, perhaps he could have. It warms my chilled heart to see another strive so much for my attention and protection; and for some reason, perhaps it is for all she has said and done this night, I believe her. Maybe it's stupid, or maybe I've been stupid up until now, but I trust her completely.

I wonder what the word is for that.
I wonder if it's love.

We start to fly low near the oasis, and in the dark two sparrows dance by us, their path entwined even as they land upon the edge of their nest. I turn to Aure in the dark, her face lit a bright yellow by my wings, and forget about the surroundings. Arbutus flies behind but I take no notice; I seek only the expression within her deep, emerald eyes. I match it in silence, with a little less clarity and understanding than she, and then turn away. "Shall we?" I ask with a dip of my wing to bank lower, hoping she'll understand the suggestion that we land. It seems, though, that we understand each other perfectly.

Unregistered

Tares banked lower, suggesting we land and I followed with a nod, for I knew now that I would follow her anywhere. My heart ached to divulge my latest discovery of love for her, and yet the way in which I knew her held me back. The possibility that she loved me as well glued me to her side with a fierceness that anyone could recognize as love. I turned my head to Tares, with my eye flaming in a way that was unthreatening, and was surprised to see yellow flames to match my green. Her gaze was hesitant, not as firm as my own, but I knew it was there. My stomach fluttered, and pangs in my chest almost opened my mouth revealing the secret I hid so dearly. Her flaming wings made her face shine an orangey hue, and her tribal markings glowed. I was eager to land so I could feel her wing on my back again, and unaware I was doing so, passed her and landed first in the oasis. Now I could clearly think without her beauty blinding me into stupidity.

I snorted my mane out of my face as frustration made me paw at the ground. I whinnied softly in irritation at how my feelings had to be muted in consideration for Tares’ skittishness. I paced slowly; clearing my head was a much easy task without her by my side, her fiery wings radiantly glowing upon her coat, and her sweet yellow eyes looking into mine. I had to be cautious, because I knew if I lost her, I’d never forgive myself. I stared back up into the sky and saw the two different sized fiery shapes soaring down towards me. I turned to watch them land, and decided that I would still have a while to go before I revealed my feelings. Sadly, I knew that this would be a task, as I had to ignore her beautiful face, tribal markings, eyes, wings, everything about her so she would not pick up on how I felt. Or was it a good thing for her to pick up on? I sighed. Were feelings always this complicated?

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

In silence I descend, following the path Aure has laid for me by flying ahead. The dark of the oasis doesn't scare me for some reason, and I understand with some strange yet firm certainty that it is because of Aure's presence beside me. For now I have landed with ease, finding a gap in the canopy and letting my wings dwindle to a dying fire. My cleft hooves dig into the surprisingly soft ground slowly, and I feel the pain in my hocks less than usual. Perhaps it is the joy of flying that has brought me this release, or perhaps it is merely the distraction that stands before me.

Her mane, golden, glistens in the moonlight, and I realize I've been foolish to ever leave her. To deny whatever it is between us would be foolish. As skilled as I am with denial, now's no time for it. Arbutus has landed behind us on a tree with extinguished flames, and, exhausted from the journey, tucks his head beneath his wings. We are left in the near dark, the embers flickering upon my shoulders the only thing keeping us within sight of each other. The reflections of my fire play across Aure's face and highlight the white vine across her nose- I find myself drawn closer to her features, and unwittingly, I take a step closer.

"Aure..." I say in a sort of daze, unsure as to how I plan to follow up after addressing her so directly. I take another step closer, placing my muzzle only a feather's length apart from hers at the side. "What do you... call us?" I ask foggily, confusion clouding my thoughts and beauty filling my vision. "Are we really friends?" I continue, taking a step further, no longer feeling in control of my actions. My leonine tail twists and turns around itself and I recognize the nervous tic from my foalhood that I've not displayed in years. Something is different- not the air, not the shadows, but something about us.

Unregistered

Tares’ beautiful face was mere centimeters from my own, asking me questions to which I wholeheartedly knew the answers. I call us in love. At least, that is what I want. We truly are friends, but also much, much more if you will allow it. Her yellow eyes were locked intently on my face, where I knew the flicker of her wings was reflected. Everything in her gaze told me she felt the same way, and yet I could not speak. Her sudden burst of confidence felt like a test, or simply something that was so fragile, the moment I instated my own, it would crumble. I could never watch her fly away from me again, and I knew it was all up to me right now. My chest tightened, not sure if I was ready for this. I took deep breath and looked squarely into her eyes, the emerald pools determined to assure her of my feelings.

My mouth opened and closed, and I felt the confidence drain from my body. She looked so sweet and trusting; I could not tell her I felt the same way. What if she never looked at me like that again, if I never had the pleasure of nuzzling her cheek again? There was no part of me that could ever tell her I loved her, not unless I was prepared to lose her, and that I was not ready to do. I stepped backwards until there was plenty of space between us and said, “Of course we are friends! Why, what else would we be?” I smiled vacantly, and turned to walked a little ways away. With my back to her, I let my face assume a position of sadness and my shoulders slumped slightly.

As I started to walk away, something made me stop and turn around. Maybe it was the look of pure trust in Tares’ eyes, or that way that she in a roundabout way said she had the same feelings for me. I do not think I will ever actually know what turned me around and made me utter life-altering words, but I could feel my chest loosening with every one that came out of my mouth. “Wait, Tares. Forget what I just said. I do not know what I call us yet, but I do know this: We are friends, but not only that. I feel like there is something more here, something wonderful. I can barely think straight every time I look into your eyes, and when I look at you, all I think about is how beautiful you are. I know there is nothing in this world that could tear me from your side, unless it was by force. And by how you act, and the question you just asked, I know you feel it too.” I braced myself for her to fly away in a panic, but knew that I would follow her no matter where she went.

Deceased
Alex
burtn@deviantart

------" Tares "------

I regret the words as soon as she gives her first response. Either she is being dishonest with me or that is truly how she feels, and for some reason she doesn't strike me as the type to lie. Maybe it's because for the first time in years I have placed my trust in someone. Perhaps it is because after so long waiting, I have found someone I can be honest and true with. In the mess of my own emotions, I fail to recognize that sheer nerves could cause her to say something safer than the truth. My mind is blank with a sudden force of sorrow and I forget about the shades of gray that land between all or nothing.

I am about to reply, but not leave, for I had promised I would not, when she goes on. She no longer faces me, for she had turned away as soon as I had asked her the question and taken some paces to widen the gap between out forms in the darkness. The gap that I had risked all to close. I don't want to leave her, but to stay causes too much pain.

And then words flow from her lips like a river; quick and ceaseless, seeming to roll naturally off of her tongue. "Aure..." I can say no more. I am not sure if the word she gives is truly what I feel, I hesitate to define it myself. Hypocritical, maybe, but certainly safe. I walk closer to her and my wings widen their flame to encompass her form and envelop her in the warm comfort of the phoenix that I know she loves so much.

There is slight hesitation as I bridge the gap completely, and nudge the base of her neck with slight affection. I long for her to look back at me and show me her eyes- two sparkling emeralds adorning beauty itself. There is a silence as my tail twitches and twists before I speak with a solemnity and a melancholy I've displayed so openly and clearly on only slight occasions. "I... I've never felt love before." My gaze burns into the back of her skull as I will her to turn around, to say anything. "Will you show me what it is?"

Unregistered

I gasped as her wings enveloped me from behind, tepid and comforting, with the touch of more than a friend. I jumped a bit as her nose nuzzled my neck, and I felt my heart jump, for I had won the love of this sweet, timid mare. I felt her eyes begging me to turn around, as she asked me to show her what love is. Slowly, I pivoted, careful to stay in my flaming, feathery blanket. How exactly could I show her love when I knew not if I had experienced it myself? My green eyes delved into the depths of her yellow ones, and I smiled shyly and slowly touched my nose to hers and rubbed slightly. I extended my neck so our whole faces were touching, along with the sides of our neck and nuzzled from her crest to withers with affection. I came back around to look into her eyes.

“I am not sure I completely know what love is. I do not recall if I have experienced so, but I am sure of what I feel with you. I think we will figure out together what love truly is, though it may take some time. One thing I do know is love is devotion, and devotion is care. I know I adore you, and I have adored you since the moment I met you. I know I am entirely shocked that you feel similarly to me. I never thought you would love me…nor admit that you might have those feelings. I care for you, Tares, and I am so happy that you are letting me.” I nosed her mane, gently ruffling it with my breath and left my nose pressed to the side of hers.

There was no way to describe what I was feeling, except for pure and undiluted joy. Maybe that was what felt like, and yet I still had no way of knowing. Suddenly, I remembered the stallion’s voice, which I had heard that day at the lake, calling me beautiful. I wondered if he was a love from my past life, and yet I felt nothing when I thought of him. Perhaps he was not a worthy love for me. I shook those thoughts away; why did I need them when I had Tares here beside me? I slowly nuzzled her again and unfurled my wings to wrap around her, and we stood there in our winged embrace.