Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

It was an overwhelming feeling to stand beneath the clear sky once more, surrounded by open fields and with the endless ocean stretched out before him. A cold, damp breeze swept in over land and rustled the gleaming mane of the stallion where he stood, turning his frame into a silvery statue silhouetted against the brightness of the sky. The heavens were shrouded in a veil of clouds, but despite that it was bright and airy, as though the brilliant blue of early winter had simply closed its lids and dyed the world in shimmering tones of mercury and gray.

He didn't mind. It was peaceful here, more than he remembered. A look of content rested upon his face, a sense of relaxation spreading from the lean equine as though all worries had disappeared from his mind. His self-induced exile into the forests had not been in vain; it was with a renewed strength and vigor that he breathed, prepared to face the consequences of his long solitude.

Much had happened since he'd retreated to the remote glen. The herd meeting had taught him that much, just by looking at the new faces scattered through the crowd. New problems seemed to have arisen, old ones were yet to be resolved and the more he mulled it over, the more insecure he became over what part he should take in every matter. Earlier he would have been standing at the front lines, prepared to take any risk and spill any amount of blood to ensure that the visions of the WeyrLeader became reality. Not so long ago he had been prepared to bend the very earth under his will, whip it and force it to grow and act upon his own wishes... He still didn't know the true consequences of his actions. Only time would tell that, time that he seemed to have gained an immeasurable amount of.

A faint sigh escaped the cobwebbed maw and after closing the eyes for a moment, Lace turned his head down to nuzzle the form of the small dragon that rested on a tall rock close to his side. "I should have kept away from all this magic" he told her, watching with quiet affection how her tail twitched in response. "Now I'm stuck with it, and the Gods only know for what purpose.. If there even is one." He wouldn't put it beyond to the fickle gods of this land to gift or awaken potentials within mortals like him for no reason other than their own amusement.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Mirage the DragonHeart

He had returned.

The dragonmare had seen him at the meeting. Had held his eye, offered a smile, had encouraged Akaith to impress upon Fajira the deepest feelings of relief and love that swelled within the breast of the Leader. Since the end of the meeting, she had spent the night with her daughters and mate, but she had not slept. Her mind was awhirl with hope that he would not venture back into his wooded shelter for so long again - and it was with joy that she tracked his scent in the early hours of the morning, away from the timber prison he had placed himself in for so long. How many hours had she lingered on its rim, hoping, waiting, wondering when she might see him again? Somehow, she always held onto the faith that he was still alive - it did not smell like death around there - and that he would return to them one day.

It was her fault. That was why she clung onto the hope, lingered around his shelter, that her weakness, her seeking of help, would be forgiven. Even now, she wondered if she was being masochistic, seeking out the pain of rejection when all she hoped for was forgiveness. What did he think of the world that surrounded him now? Was he proud of how the Qian had grown, endured and survived in his absence? Had she done enough to prove that she was not weak - to herself as much as him? She had tried so hard in his absence to do him proud, to show him that the request she had made had been a time of weakness, a time where she had doubted herself. She did not think him weak for denying her, she simply recognised that Leadership was not for everyone (she often wondered if it was even for her) - and she wanted him back, in whatever role he was willing to give her.

The thought of him leaving for good did not cross her mind as an allowable possibility.

So when she found him, standing with the sun touching his silver and gold pelt, she had to restrain herself from calling out with joy and bolting to his side - it simply wasn't polite manners, and something she had always and forever restrained her from. Akaith had no such restraint, and promptly called out a shrill, colourful greeting to the little white dragon and her companion, chittering as she aimed to land upon Lace's back and give him a draconic lashing for causing her beloved bonded so much worry. Mirage approached with her usual smooth stride, a low nicker pulling from her throat, a smile upon her lips that gleamed from her eyes, rimmed by the hint of tears. The dark little mare reached her muzzle out to him, and sought to rub it along his nape, to linger, to hold in the touch of his flesh for as long as he would allow.

"I've missed you." Her accented tones spoke with the depth of truth and honesty, as she aimed her bodice to line up parallel to his own, to press herself against his side. There was so much to say, so much to talk about, and yet she could not find any more words at this stage. Akaith moved to the rock that Fajira was last seen upon, greeting the little white with the friendly action of mutual grooming.
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

A black-rimmed ear turned on reflex as a warm, familiar presence crept up on him. He felt her before he heard her, a tickling sensation of fondness and guilt that slipped quietly up beside him. If he hadn't been exposed to this stealthy approach before her sudden appearance might have startled him, but as she appeared within his field of vision he simply took a deep breath. Air rushed in through widened nostrils, inhaling the scent of warm fur, of smoke and brimstone and the vague, spicy scent that only she possessed. A low rumble resounded within his chest, making the expanding ribcage vibrate in quiet greeting; it was cut short as Akaith crashed down upon his back, pressing the air out of him with her sheer weight.

The stillness of the morning shattered with the cries of excited dragons, Fajira responding loudly to the call of her golden sister and respected queen before taking off into the air to celebrate their reunion in a dazzling display of aerial acrobatics. Lace smiled at them, relieved once they began to quiet down and returned to the stone to groom, bond and speak about whatever dragons conversed with amongst themselves. The grin faded once the maw of the Queen bridged the distance between the two friends however. A faint shudder rippled through the tricolored skin where she touched it, twitching where the sensation of the touch remained.

How long it had been since any horse stood so close to him. The stallion couldn't help but indulge himself in this rare luxury; quietly he leaned into her and fitted his lean shape against hers, neck arching to allow large but surprisingly gentle ivories to massage her chest, to reach up and drape across her neck in a loving embrace. Shamelessly enjoying their closeness, forgetting about anything except the scent of the mare that meant most to him in the world...

"I've missed you."

The quiet words sent a shock through the steed, quickly snapping him back to reality. Lace tensed involuntarily, shock mixing with a sudden embarrassment over where his own thoughts had been heading. What had gone into him? Since when had he begun to loose his head as soon as someone offered a bit of kindness, and when on earth did he become brazen enough that he found it proper to be so intimate with another? Not just anyone either, but Mirage! He had to force himself not to suddenly rip away from her and remained where he was with the neck slung over her whithers, heart pounding and throat tightening with growing shame, a shame caused by so many things that he didn't even know where to begin.

"I'm sorry" he said in a low tone, the voice rough and gravelly after so long disuse. "I'm sorry for leaving you like that and going off for my own selfish reasons. I was supposed to be there to support you and help when you needed it.. but I let you down. I'm so sorry Mirage, can you ever forgive me?" The words tumbled out from his lips in a rapid stream, words straight from the heart that resounded with all the regret he felt over having allowed so much time to pass without speaking to her.

The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart

The warmth of his flesh, the closeness of his body, the realness of his presence, was almost overwhelming for the mare. Mirage had loved before - she loved the golden painted steed, Torasin, alongside the one who was her mate, Vikram - and there was no doubt in her mind that she loved Lace. Each of them held a place upon the organ beating in her chest. While she loved the entire herd who resided here, they had left more permanent markings - their names had been written upon the very chambers of her heart. They meant almost as much to her as Akaith did, as her daughters did, her sister and brothers. But she loved each of them in different ways - Torasin for his kindness, his heart of gold, his caring and healing nature, his defiance against the sadness that lurks beneath his happy mask; Vikram for his masculinity, his fierce devotion, the carnal desires he inspired within her; and Lace, for the sheer honest creature that he was, the sometimes foolhardy, noble, spirited soul. If she could have all of them, she would - but even Mirage knew that was unfair. Even now, as she relished his touch, the very real warmth that spread throughout her from realising that he returned the gesture, she felt a pang of guilt strike her heart. Akaith soothed her, assured her that what she felt was not wrong - how could love ever be wrong?

And so Mirage accepted his touch, pressing herself against him just as his bulk sought to make contact along her sides. He reacted to her words then, and she felt the tension ripple down his body, she felt the heartbeat that was pressed against her own chest increase - felt her own leap in response. Still, she leaned into him more, encouraging the words to flow, capturing them with her keen, svelte ears, holding her breath until they were finished. As silence fell between them, with that question of forgiveness lingering, she almost had to laugh. Her breath fell away from her with a small gasp, her lips seeking out to tug gently at his silver mane. "That you were there, in your little tree hollow, provided me with a small comfort… You were still within the bounds of our home… I often lingered at the rim of your hollow, hoping, wishing you would come out, but glad that at least you had not left me forever." He had told her of his previous mistakes, of his traitorous ways, and she had forgiven him for those. When he disappeared into his hollow, she had worried, for barely an instant at least, that he would not emerge, despite the faith she stubbornly held onto that he would.

"I am sorry for pushing you away… I want you here. With me. In whatever way you feel you can bear to be around me." It was frustrating for her, to watch him lead the herd without the formal Leader title, to see him do great things and accept no recognition for his efforts - she wanted him to see himself the way she saw him, the way everyone saw him - as a steed worthy of following. But, if forcing such things upon him meant he disappeared altogether, she would encourage things to go back the way they were - or at least, encourage him to come out of his hiding hole more often. Pressing her muzzle against him, and blowing a gentle, equine kiss, she hoped to impress upon him her sincerest feelings of forgiveness as well as retribution for her own actions, for posing the request that triggered his solitary reaction.
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

Was this a dream? Did he really stand on the very edge of the world with wind whipping the silk of the mane, so tightly pressed against Mirage's side that he could feel her heartbeats? It felt unreal. The overcast sky, the rush and roar of cold waves crashing against the pale rock, the cry of gulls that echoed through the air, even the low chatter as their dragons reconfirmed their friendship seemed almost too vivid, too clear and detailed. His head felt numb, thoughts flooded and overloaded with emotions struggling towards the surface of his consciousness, a mind too overwhelmed by the warmth of the silken muzzle that caressed his neck. Lace felt reckless, guilty, daring and horrified over the unusual thoughts and emotions that filled him, but the usual composure had been overruled by a craving to remain like this until time ended. He didn't pull away, and as the familiar, exotic voice of his queen reached the twitching ears he felt muscles relax once more, tail beginning to swish back and forth a few times, gently tickling her inky hocks.

"I would never leave you" he said simply. "How could I? You're the closest to a family I've had since I left my mothers side over seven years ago. Fajira is a part of me, a sister and a piece of my soul, and you..." He suddenly hesitated, daunted by the prospect of uttering out loud what had just stolen through his thoughts. "You're.. everything else." It was too mad a thought, too daring and bewildering and frankly frightening. He wasn't ready to even go there yet, didn't know if he ever would be; the image of the happy family he had seen during the herd meeting came to him and unleashed a sudden bitter taste in the mouth, a stab of something unidentifiable deep down in his gut that the noble, humble and naive stallion had never felt before.

Quickly pushing the image away the grullo instead buried his face in the mares mane, relishing this rare moment without knowing when it would end or if it ever would happen again. The voice was muffled as he replied to her, distorted just enough that it became hard to tell exactly what feelings made it shake.
"It wasn't you or your request that made me pull out, Mirage. I want you to know that. It was just the final straw of confusion that's been haunting me ever since we took over these lands."

Lifting the gray neck and pulling it away slightly, he turned to catch her golden eye with his own, letting her see the serious expression he wore. "Before I made the decision to follow the Qian, I met a few of the unicorns who used to live here. Delinne, Faelene... I liked them. I made friends with them. But when the time came and I had a choice between fighting or not, I choice the bloody path and placed my wish for a home above the relation I had with them. I saw them during the battle, Mirage. They fought and spilled the blood of my friends, while I strove to injure theirs. Even after the dust settled it continued; it continues even now, with all of the kidnappings and hate and suspicion... What are we even trying to accomplish? What is it they want? I tried to talk to Faelene just after you had been released, but even though I asked she wouldn't give me a proper answer."

It still bothered him. He felt as though he could've, should've done more to reconcile with her, come to some sort of understanding. Lace wasn't one to justify his own actions with petty words, and neither could he accept weak excuses from others. Had Faelene begun to hate him for what he had done? The thought pulled a heavy sigh from the blond stallion, and with a wry smile stretching the mouth he continued, suddenly determined to share all of his doubts with his friend and queen, to let her know exactly why he had burned himself out.

"Not to mention all this damn magic that floats everywhere. The air's reeking with it, from gods and ghosts and monsters and.. Did you know that there are creatures living at the bottom of the Heart? I was dragged down there last winter along with some unicorn stallion.. Valentine I think he was called, by an ugly little creature calling himself a gremlin. He and his people threw us into a fight with a boggart, and how we got out of there alive I don't even know." He snorted, ears rotating backwards in dislike over those particular memories. The fear and heat of falling into the boiling volcano, the fear and suspicion he hadn't been able to let go of... the image of Fajira being impaled and fall dead to the ground. It sent a shudder through his skin, unease mixed with reluctance over what that encounter had awoken within him.

"Magic lives within me, Mirage" he whispered, eyes closing to hide the desperate wish to go back to how he had been. "It crawls within my blood, it controls my very body... I cut myself on a rock and the wound scabbed over and healed in little more than a day. Just vanished, as if it'd never been there. And the trees.. they move according to my wishes, they grow and form and sometimes I don't even know how or why I'm doing it. At first I barely even knew what was going on, but the more I use it the harder it becomes to stop." The shivers ran through him again and again, until it became impossible to repress it. Unwilling to show the brave DragonHeart how much the power in his blood frightened him, Lace turned and pressed his head against her steady neck, escaping by breathing in the comforting scent of the shadow mare.

The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart

It had been a risk for the mare, to admit just how much she wanted, needed him to be around. The last time she had expressed as much, in the form of offering him a place alongside her, she had triggered a panic within him, pushing him so far away for so long - how much time had passed? - and within the first few hours that she had seen him again she had done just the same thing. Was she a fool? Or perhaps she was insane, in repeating her actions and hoping, praying for a different reaction.

But he did react differently this time, instead submitting to the affection she pressed upon him, and then he spoke. The words that came from his muzzle… she scarcely allowed herself to believe them. What did they mean - both the spoken and unspoken words? You're.. Everything else.. The shadow mare was shocked, though the expression upon her façade showed only affectionate interest. They were some of the last words she ever expected him to utter, particularly to her. Even as she considered them, she knew, had always known, that she loved him, even as she loved Torasin, and was coming to love Thor, Kaj, Destrier - all males, all strong figureheads in her life, all loved equally, with that great magnitude only her heart seemed capable of. Was it unfair of her, to love them all, to accept their love in return, and yet only call one worthy of claiming her heart, body and soul? Vikram had appealed to more facets of the mare then all the rest, he had risen to match her carnal urges when they had struck, he had lifted her, supported her, defended and protected her when she needed it. He understood her, and her ability to love them all. He might have felt jealousy, but still he accepted her for what she was - he loved her for what she was. Mirage had watched Torasin choose love with Brooke (something she had hated, if she were honest with herself), and then more recently, with Solstice (something she found easier to accept) - both times she had felt that strange, unsettling feeling, feelings that she knew she had no right to feel, and so she hid them, instead summoning gestures of support and devotion to her lovers.

But Lace, he had no other lowers, no others to turn to for support, aside from the brotherly affection he might gain from his fellow male herdmates. Was it so unexpected then, that he would accept the affection and love she showed him and return it? Cruelly, selfishly, she could not turn it away - she could only accept it, cherish it, and reciprocate it. Somehow, she clung to the belief that he would find the one who could give him everything he deserved, and that until that happened, she could give him everything she possibly could - her love, devotion, her friendship and support, her heart and soul - and to some extent, her body, though not in the way that lead to the pitter patter of tiny hooves (however heartwarming that image may be).

He continued speaking then, voicing concerns she herself had voiced and discussed, to herself and to her herdmates, constantly talking to and fro about the battle that upset the balance. Mirage had always claimed that once they won the land they fought for, they would constantly strive towards restoring it back to its sensitive dynamic equilibrium, though their efforts had been unsuccessful thus far - until the little dark mare had thought of a way that would surely ensure everyone had equal opportunity once more. Magic was the answer, she wanted to scream it at him until he understood it - even as he spoke it, he revealed the answer, though he was unaware of it. The implications of his particular magic were great, however, and Mirage did hesitate before she moved to speak again. He was.. Immortal? The little mare remembered then, a rainy night upon the beach, where he demanded she judge him for his past actions, and she told him that judgement was for the Gods, not for those of mortal bearing. But she did judge him then, by his request, and now, he was inadvertently judging her - he always did, and not in the negative way that was insinuated. He pulled her up when she grew too excited and set on certain tasks, he made her pause and think, explain herself, ensure there were no faults to the plans.

That was why she needed him.

And now he was the immortal one, able to live forever and literally carve the world to suit his whims, and he was afraid of it. She wondered how it would feel to be immortal, to know that one could live forever no matter how many times they sliced themselves open or crushed bones. The thought caused a shiver to wander down her spine, the hair along her nape rising. Golden eyes turned to view him again, and her muzzle reached to tug upon his silver locks, affectionately, gently. "Magic lives in all of us, Lace. This very world was carved by the whims of Gods, of their power, their lifeblood - Magic. You are right, we created an imbalance in the world when we took the World's Edge as our own. I hope to restore that balance Lace, to spread power equally across all who would support the same ideals." Leaning her weight against him just as he did her, she realised with quiet amusement that if either of them moved away, the other might topple over, such was the extent of their entanglement.

"Many threats arose while you were gone, Lace. A stallion, Tio, made known his intention to overthrow the Dragon's Throat, our sister herd and ally, who also rcently lost their General, Azzuen - I believe you sparred with him once. A group called the Assassins attempted to infiltrate our ranks - though they were unsuccessful, and their former leader now rots in the prison you crafted. The Grey successfully overthrew the Foothills, with Jackal nowhere to be seen, and many of the former residents of the hills now residing here. The Qian has grown, both through new souls seeking acceptance and through the birth of new life." The mare paused, knowing that each sentence she spoke carried magnitudes of information for him to process, and yet somehow she knew he would be able to handle it - that he wanted to hear it all said at once, instead of strung out along a long and tedious conversation. What she said next, however, did make her hesitate, if only for fear of hurting him. "I became a mother." It was a whisper, a low utterance, an admission, not of guilt but regret that the facts of life would hurt him, push him away again. Her eyes, deep and gold, warm with honey and laced with the shameful happiness of tears, sought out his own, hoping to cling to him, anchor him on the spot, hoping that no matter what she said he would understand her.
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

A long silence followed as the voice of the dragon mare went quiet, but to Lace it felt as though it continued to sing into his ears. Soft, gentle, comforting, yet at the same with an urging undertone as though she expected something from him. He wasn't sure what it was she wanted. Her eyes weighed upon him, but instead if replying immediately the stallion turned his masked face away, out towards the sea where the waves rose and sank with pale caps writhing and foaming. The scent of salt mingled with the warm fragrance of the mare next to him, and while he patiently waited for his mind to take in all the information Lace allowed himself to relax completely for the first time in... No, he couldn't remember when he last let his guard down like this.

Azzuen was dead.

A pang of regret struck the glazier with a suddenness that made his deep inhale catch and tremble. The memory of the magnificent General came back to him, relived the few encounters they'd had. A battle fought on the same side, a friendly spar on a bright summer day and a peaceful conversation between equals. They hadn't known one another, not really, but Lace had liked Azzuen none the less. They had been friends and allies, and the loss of the kind soul left him with an ache in the chest that whispered of all the things that would never be.
Trouble at the Throat, infiltrators and invaders... A heavy sigh left the silvery horse as though a mountain had been dropped back onto his shoulders, and with a small, saddened smile he turned the head back to Mirage. Cobwebbed nose reached to brush a soft muzzle gently along her face, kissing her black skin in silent vows to always remain by her side.

"I saw them at the meeting you called. They are beautiful, my friend, truly the best of both their parents. I hope you will let me meet them some day." Gently the gold-backed steed shifted his weight, carefully so that he wouldn't shift the Queen out of balance and wrapped a neck over her whithers. He didn't want to relinquish this chance to feel the rounding of her hip against his flank, refused to step away and retain the distance he knew he should keep; for her sake, for Vikram and the fillies... for his own sake, so that he wouldn't destroy himself with a longing towards something he could never have. Not yet. Not now, when they were alone and reunited for the first time in seasons.

He wasn't finished, however. Her answer to his qualms about the magic and the situation they were in didn't feel satisfactory.
"I never asked for this magic, you know" he murmured, jumping right onto the point that bothered him the most. "There were no gods where I came from.. Gassul, a vast land to the west.. no, perhaps its closer to the east of here. There were only equines there, I never even saw a pegasus or unicorn until I set foot in Isilme. It's not natural for me to be able to wield this kind of power, and if it was my choice I would get rid of it altogether. I understand what you mean by wishing for everyone to be equal in strength, but I wonder if it's even possible. There will always be someone stronger, always someone out there who doesn't care who they hurt as long as they get their way." It was the same everywhere, whether there were magic or not.

"Even if the Qian follows your suggestion, it will be a long process that takes time to start and set in motion. And if I'm not mistaken, we still have a dark cloud blocking the moon... Have you gotten any more information regarding the intentions of Aurora Basin? They worry me to be honest; they remind me too much of the supremacist groups that ruled Isilme... Gods forbid that such a war will break out here as well."

The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart

As he moved, she feared for a moment that he was pulling away from her, that the warmth generated by their intimacy would be shattered by the icy wind that tore over the cliffs. Everything she had said to him jus tnow was a lot to take in - she felt his reaction to the news of Azzuen, his shifting curiosity to the rest of her news. But the warmth did dissipate for a moment, and Mirage shut her eyes tight, unwilling to witness the motion of him leaving again. Stop being silly, Akaith murmured with a strong sense of amusement, flashing an image of the stallion slinging his nape over her own, pulling her closer instead of pushing her away. And, as she watched the image sent by her dragon, she felt the sensations over her neck, against her body, the warm reassurance of his nearness. She melted to his touch, drinking his words greedily, addicted to timbre of his voice, the way it crafted words that set her heart aflame. The question of whether there was temptation present was a cruel one to ask, one that she looked at with guilt and reluctant truth. Desire, similar to that which Torasin had always truck up within her, even after her commitment to Vikram had been made known, was uncontrollably running rampart within her. But was it so bad to feel desire, as long as she did not act upon it?

It was bad, cruel, and unfair. And she knew it.

The mare was glad that his voice broke the silence once again, though his words were laced with more of a bitter aftertaste this time. He raised genuine concerns, ones that she knew would be the largest obstacles they would overcome. The difference was; Mirage was aware of these obstacles, and she was willing to overcome them, or at least try. She would not allow herself, nor her family, to be too intimidated just by the sheer size of the task ahead of them, to give up on the chance, however minute a chance it was, that they could carve themselves and their future generations a home where all could survive happily, peacefully, equally.

"Who is to say what is and is not natural? You? Me? The Gods? Perhaps, in Gassul, it was not natural for you to bend trees to your will, or live on into the unforeseeable future. But you are not in Gassul anymore Lace, nor even Isilme." With an insistent nip aimed for whatever part of his body she could reach - his chest, his shoulder - she continued speaking, her voice expressing some of the surprise she felt at his negativity, his fear for the path she had set for him, when he was the one who had always asked what the next step would be. Did he think it was going to be easy? A simple walk in the park?

"You surprise me, Lace. While you may speak the truth, from your experience, experiences I hold too, I am asking you to envisage a new life, a better life, for all. No, it will not be easy, but it will be worth it, for ourselves, for our future, and the future of our children and their children… If the strength is spread equally, then it will be impossible for one individual or one group to rise and damage those that could not survive against them." Sure, those who thought themselves stronger could try, but they would not be able to succeed if their opponents held enough strength to stand against them. While the little mare always believed in the saying that it was not the tool one held, but the manner in which they longed to use it, but that only held true if everyone had access to the same toolkit. And here, in Helovia, they did.

"The Basin are home to the Plague, a group we are told are determined to exterminate all those who do not hold horns upon their heads. They are ruthless and cunning, and have been far too quiet recently. We beat them once, and they have made it known that we are not forgiven." She referred to her time spent there as prisoner, and the countless little insults that had been passed between them ever since. "I fear that they gather in strength and numbers up there, planning to overthrow the rest of Helovia.. Which is why we must help all to gain the strength to stand up against them. Magic is the answer, Lace. It is a gift, to be treasured and respected, to be shared and cherished, so that we might live in a world where there is no more struggle, no more hatred, no more war or battles or unnecessary death and destruction."

Yes, Mirage knew that what she wanted was unlikely to ever be achieved, but that did not stop her wanting it, striving for it, appealing to all she could to join her on this journey and make it that much more likely to eventuate.

"As for my daughters… I have no doubt you will meet them, whether you want to or not, in the future."
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

As always the mysterious mare had answers to all of his questions. Her lengthy reply to his words did not surprise him overly much. He was used to it, and listened carefully so that he wouldn't miss a word, not a syllable of that warm voice that sang with its exotic accent. Something the stallion wasn't quite as used to however was the scolding undertone, the slightly disappointed edge that made his tail swish in protest and caused a snort to blow sharply from the inked nostrils. Was she lecturing him? For real?

"I do hope you aren't expecting everyone to love the power and responsibility that comes with the possession of magic, Mirage" he pointed out and attempted a half-teasing, half serious nip towards a black ear. "I can understand your opinion that it might make the horses of Helovia more equal, but to go from there to wanting everyone to be as generous and loving towards the gods as you are... At best it would be naive, and at worst idiotic, and I know for a fact that you are neither." Masked lips proceeded to run down the crest of her neck, greedily tracing every soft strand of mane he could reach, as though trying to imprint their very course into his memory. "I don't particularly mind being considered as conservative. I am, and I readily confess that I'm not as brave when it comes to change as you are. For the greatest part of my life I have been dependent upon the strength of my own body and the experience I have gained throughout the years... That can't be taken away, not like this magic. If the gods gave it, then the gods can take it away, and I don't see a reason why I should allow myself to become a pawn in their divine games when none of them has earned my trust or asked for my approval."

For a moment the glazier turned silent as the memories of his encounters with the divine creators of this land. None had been overly pleasant, and while he might feel respect and awe before their power and beauty, that was all they received from him. But even as Lace mulled over the 'blessing' of the Sun that still covered his back, his thoughts were automatically returned towards the subject that worried him the most and that now was made all the more urgent as the information granted by the WeyrLeader settled into place.

"What do we do if the Basin turn their horns against us, my friend?" he asked quietly, as if afraid that the answer would confirm his deepest fears. "If they lay their hooves upon the Qian, use their magic on our brothers and sisters, on our children... Will we still sing songs of peace and equality then? Or will we turn our magic against them, and wade deeper into this bog of war and bloodshed that we have already placed ourselves in? I know what I will do if anyone lays a hand on you, on Smoke, on any of the foals... Do you? Are you prepared for the consequences of a magical war, Mirage? Because it is what we are galloping towards, for every soul we steal, every friend we loose..."

Then he turned abruptly silent, too daunted by the prospect of what such a war might bring in blood, pain and hatred to continue. Lace didn't want to fight anymore. He had hoped that the battle of the Edge would be his last war, that the life he now held would be put to better use. But how could he just stand by and watch if his friends was hurt and his home stolen? He couldn't, and he wouldn't. It was a fact, and one that weighed heavily on his shoulders as he turned the gaze out towards the sea.

The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart

He always was good at debates. As he nipped and lipped at her, the mare leaned away from him, uncurling her nape from his embrace, allowing a willowy half smile to curve her lips, the same semi-playfulness, semi-seriousness conveyed in her honey-drop eyes as in his tone. "I only hope that people would respect the magic they encounter, or are gifted with, that they see its potential, and use it constructively. I… do not think I am particularly generous to the Gods. I merely see them as the creators of this realm we call home, and I respect them for that. The Moon, well, I'll admit to the difference there, for she has guided me since birth. I do trust the Gods, I trust they as they are the creators of their powers, they know where and when to bestow them upon those of us who inhabit their lands." The little mare spoke with honesty, with forthright purpose; she would hide no secrets from him today, if only to help him see her view, just as she tried to see his.

"Change is something we cannot control, it is often futile to resist it. I was gifted with my abilities much like you were; upon entering Isilme, I found I could become my name, an illusion, a trick of the eye. There too, I also discovered Akaith, and the bond that binds us together is something I would be incomplete without. After travelling for so long, wondering when death might embrace me in his cool touch, I found Helovia, and it is here I truly began to live. Here, I was given the ability to take the form of a dragon, to breathe fire, to bear the children of my draconic mate. Here Lace, I was permitted to see, with my own eyes, the very creators of life itself, where in other realms it was merely based upon one's faith in that which they could not see. Change will happen to all of us Lace, and those of us who accept it, and adapt to it, are the ones to survive." Though the mare did wonder at his mention of eliminating all the magic in the world - she recalled a stallion who thought similarly; Gunslinger, the equine of Isilme, bonded to a bronze dragon that Akaith had taken fancy to. She shook the memory from her mind, unwilling to linger upon thoughts of a forgotten hero in a faraway land.

"I miss my birth home; of that there is no doubt. But it is still there, inside of me, a part of me, and my daughters, and will be part of their daughters too. But without its destruction, I would not be here, standing alongside my friend, discussing a great many things like we always do. It fell due to imbalance; it was a land of eternal moonlight, no Sun ever rose, and yet life thrived there, for many generations. It could not last, and soon, the darkness fell to be nothing, a void, a gaping wound in a lost corner of the world. I learned the importance of keeping the balance from that realm, and I hope to use that knowledge to aid Helovia's ongoing survival." Her voice quietened as she spoke of her home, the Path to the Moon, where one prayed to the celestial body in the sky and rarely received a reply, where only equines roamed and chose an alliance - the lands own way of keeping a balance - but it hadn't been enough. And now it was gone, forever.

"The Basin would be fools to think themselves capable of defeating us should they bring war to our borders. The purpose of spreading the magic to those who would respect it is to trust that they would know when, and how, to use it appropriately. We fight, but only to defend ourselves. We fight to keep the balance; we tipped it in our favour when we took the Edge as our home, and it was restored when the Basin was discovered, and inhabited by its former residents. Now, as we hear rumours of the Basin's numbers growing, we must ensure we grow too, to balance out their racist views with our views of equality. The scales need to be balanced, Lace, else we will fall all the harder should we succeed; or them. We must endure their threats, we must show them we are strong enough to survive anything they throw at us, so that we may live here in relative peace." She turned her gaze towards him once more, a silent warning behind it.

"We will not be the reason war breaks out in Helovia." The words were spoken with many layers of purpose, the most obvious of which being that it was important none of the Qian acted rashly should anything tragic happen at the hands of the Basin, triggering a more violent response that they would be ill prepared for. It would be just the catalyst that could tip the scales, and that was exactly what they were trying to prevent.
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

He remained still as she returned his arguments, listening quietly to the well-phrased words she offered him. Once again the thought crossed his mind that seemed to be seeking something from him, and as he twisted the ears to keep track of her singing tune the gray began to ponder what it could be. The more he argued against magic the more intense she became in her defense of it. Could it be as simple as wishing for her views to be acknowledged? He studied her expression from beneath pale eyelashes, weighing the words she chose and the passion she placed into her attempts at winning him over.

Was he truly against the project? He wasn't sure. On a larger scale it might be a feasible task to undertake, but Lace had to wonder if this really was the right time to begin implementing it. The last sentence from the DragonHeart sent a faint grimace dancing across the features of the masked face, as though it had touched upon a nerve he himself hadn't be fully aware of until just then.

"You could persuade a stone" he mumbled and shifted, gradually easing away from the warmth of her side as though he was peeling away from his own skin. Fighting the urge to return into the blissful reverie of her embrace, the white-maned stallion stepped closer to the edge of the cliff, so much that when a hoof shifted the position of a small pebble it rolled away and tumbled over the edge, down and down until it disappeared into the foaming waves that broke against the steep rocks. He lowered his head and took in the scents of snow and stone and cold earth, struggling to voice the vague undefined sense of rejection he felt towards her words.

"I'm not going to say that your idea is bad" he began slowly, letting the words fall as they came to the tongue. "It's a good idea, a very ambitious and hard to accomplish idea.. But it could be made possible, under the right circumstances." The muscles beneath the silvery hide swelled as the glazier raised the head again and watched the black mare from the corner of the eyes, uncertain about both her and his own wishes when it came to what a good life should pertain.

"I just feel... torn. I don't like magic. You might have noticed that by now. I have it but I don't want it, and I won't be grateful for it even if it maybe comes in handy from time to time. I find the risks greater than the benefits, and I will never seek it out for my self. This doesn't mean I can't accept it in others. I've seen your dragon form, I've accepted healing from magic, I've used it myself. I will help out anyone who on their own accord approaches the gods and ask for greater power, but you won't find me urging others to do the same thing when they might not be interested. I won't oppose your goal for this herd, Mirage, but please don't expect me to like it either."

The smile had faded from the black lips now, and there was a rare seriousness in the golden eyes that showed he wasn't going to budge any further in the matter. There was a stubborn line drawn by the arched neck, a bull-headed determination exuding from his frame where he stood, wind-whipped and gold-glistening even under the pale light of the day. Tension froze the fading muscles for a while, but once the stallion had made sure that his point was clear beyond doubt, he relaxed and turned back towards his queen and best friend, dark hooves thudding quietly against the ground as he returned to her side and reached out the head to rest it against her dock.

"Are you seriously saying that you won't respond in kind if we're provoked further by the Basin?" he asked, making no effort to hide how uncomfortable that notion made him. "I can understand being patient and working towards upholding the peace, however frail it is... I wouldn't appreciate if others began to view the Qian as weak though. That would only encourage invasion attempts, and even more violence would have to be used to settle the situation. Horses are simple beings, you know. The weak follow the strong, and the strong makes sure that everyone knows just they are capable of. Show any sign that can be taken for frailty, and it's seen as an invitation to try conquering and see what happens." He let the tail sway along with the wind, purposely letting the pale strands fly high enough up that they might tickle the shadow mare on the nose.

The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart

"It is a shame you are not a stone then, but a diamond, rough and raw around the edges, and all the more valuable because of it. " A wry grin touched her maw as she considered him with an affectionate stare, equalling his own serious glare in magnitude only coating it with warm acceptance while his was armoured with impenetrable stubborn unwillingness. Did she mind? Perhaps, a little, but not nearly so much had he meant less to her. It was easier to overcome the 'downfalls' of one's friends when you loved them so severely already, then to receive judgement from a newcomer, an unknown. Mirage accepted his view with a silent nod, dismissing the issue of discussing it with him now, unless he brought it up again in the future.

They shifted positions then, his warm breath rolling down her back, his crown resting upon her dock. The dragons nearby seemed happy to continue their adventures over the cliffside, the DragonHeart was not about to stop them, though her thoughts did disrupt the otherwise playful mood of Akaith. Bronze only wants your happiness, she uttered as she detected her bonded's worries - what would Vikram think of her, standing so near to another male, finding comfort and love and certainly something more in every touch, yearning for more, desiring for more, but at least not taking the steps that could deliver them more. He loves you, the golden dragon warbled almost directly into her mind, continuing on her adventures of aerodynamic displays without further thought. The mare was left unknowing exactly which he her beloved was referring to.

"There are many ways to prove one's strength to potential enemies. We will not start a war, not even if they try to provoke us. Should they bring war to our doorstep, we shall finish it. We shall prove that despite it all, we will endure anything and everything they throw at us." The words spoken were quiet, and somewhat distorted, as the mare had chosen to rest her chin upon the stallion's golden stained rump, leaning her shoulder into the curve of his flank as he did so, finding a simple solace in his presence that very few others were ever able to provide her with. "It matters little to me what outsiders might think of us. They would soon discover the truth if they looked beyond their ignorant assumptions." With a smile pressing against his rump at his swinging tail, she lifted her own, aiming to sway it not-so gently against his knees.

The mare didn't know if she was talking about the Qian or about her friendship with Lace.

And she decided it didn't matter.
image credits
table by whit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

A snort and a half smirk was the only response he gave to her soft words. While he appreciated how she respected his view on the matter her talk of diamonds and worth made little impression on the silver steed, who took it for nothing but wordplay and not the admittance of his value to the inky mare that might have been intended. He was even more grateful when Mirage allowed the subject to drop, and returned to the warmth of her embrace with a dizzying feeling of elation, satisfaction and growing desire rushing through him. It was hard not to become affected by the close proximity to the beautiful mare, and it seemed that the more he tried to convince himself that it would be a very bad idea to become more intimate than they already were, the harder it got trying to keep his muzzle to himself.

It was easier as long as they kept talking. Black rimmed ears played with the gray light of the sky as they moved to catch the vocals of the DragonHeart, enjoying the sound of her voice far more than her actual words. It felt uncomfortable to disagree with her this much, and Lace bit back a desire to give his leader a lecture about how reality actually worked. It wasn't just a matter of beating back invaders or stopping rogues from trespassing on their borders. That was just the beginning, and while single incidents here and there might be beaten back, the lack of greater response to the blatant disrespect could sooner or later get them into a great mess. Better then to beat any contestants over the land before they started planning a takeover. Better make sure the other herds and outcasts knew that they were strong and able before anything happened, in order to avoid casualties.

But he didn't say what went through his mind. Instead the grullo lipped a rounded hip darker than his own mask, silently hoping that the WeyrLeader would have luck with her and enough blessings of the Moon to prevent his fears from coming true.
"I just don't want anyone to think that they can get away with doing whatever they please to the Edge or those belonging to the Qian" was all he said on the matter in a grumbling tone, prepared to let the matter drop and score a draw in this rare battle of wills.

The Store | The Warden

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Following mother was certainly a highlight of my day. I had not stirred when she left in the early hours of morning, sleep having finally taken me deeply and soundly after spending much of the night chasing Daryth about. He was particularly difficult to see at night, his strange dark light illuminating him against the darkest shadows and the fires of the camps alike. So often did I lose him, that it would take him bursting forth a lick of flame to catch my eye once more before I located him again. Of course, he was never truly lost - if I paid enough attention to the magic that allowed our strange spirit-bond, I would be able to find him even with my eyes closed.

However, I digress.

When I awoke to find mother had left us, I was not terribly surprised. It was not unusual for her leave before the sun rose, to begin the day's tasks that she bore with such effortless expertise . I followed her often enough to know that they did wear down upon her, though not all were as observant as me, my sister, and my father. We did have Akaith to give us hints too, after all. With a happy hum beginning in my throat, I nudged at my silver sister gently, before dropping my maw to the loam, summoning Daryth to my side, and following the very subtle trail our mother had left in her wake. I tried to move with similar stealth as she, but it was little use - my legs still did not always agree with the direction I asked them to go in.

As the brush before me cleared to allow fresh salty air to wash over me, I was greeted quite loudly by my mother's beloved bonded, Akaith. Daryth flew to her, his small, dark smudge taking up the space of perhaps one of her wings - similar to the white that flew about too. I smiled at them, unfolding my wings and letting loose a delighted, musical song, that wasn't quite entirely equine nor draconic in nature. Feeling the elation in Daryth's soul at meeting the white Fajira, I eventually peeled my attention away from the cavorting dragons, to view my mother standing in an easy embrace with a strange, golden-silver-black stallion.

I was not sure what to make of the scene.

Mother only reserved her affections, at least, the ones she expressed openly to others, to those who were very deserving of it. As I approached them, tucking my wings down by my side, lowering my tail from its previous enthusiastic stance curled upwards, I pondered just who could have earned such genuine love from the one that had birthed me. The expression upon my façade was guarded, if anything, it was serious, as I regarded this stallion with the open intensity of my gaze. I was standing slightly to my mother's side of him, and so he was obscured by the very dark rump of my mother, but still I was able to guess at his identity from tales mother had told us when we were even smaller than we currently are.

"Do you love my mother?" It was a pointed question, and I meant it in such a way that implied he loved her much like my brothers loved her, much like I loved Torasin or Semira, or Madyrn, or Tandavi. Familial love was all I knew, and I had to know if this steed was worthy of it too.

[ ooc :; I believe Kachie intends on posting Semira shortly C: ]
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Semira Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Yearling
Kachie
Golden eyes fluttered open after the young silver scaled filly was nudged awake by her sister. Lifting her head, she peered about at her twin, watching as the little dark spirit-dragon that was her sister's dearest companion apparated to accompany Amaris on yet another journey. It was only then that Semira realized that Mother was absent, and that her sister must be following the faint but unmistakeable trail their mother had left.

Climbing to her feet, she stretched to relieve the night's cold from her limbs, extending her wings and swaying her tail before beginning to trail after her sister. Not to be outdone by unusual dragon-shaped companions, the ending of a yawn spawned the shape of a fire-formed dragon that coiled through the air above her head. It was a short lived creation, fading into the air after a few heartbeats. The dainty silver didn't bother to move with her sister's or her mother's stealth, but paced along light-footedly nevertheless, dipping away from reaching underbrush

The melodious welcoming call from Akaith alerted the still drowsy Semira that their mother was now found, confirmed when her sister echoed it. Speeding up into a light jog, she was soon ducking around her golden twin, singing her own greeting to Mother's bonded. It was a song that trailed off in surprise to discover Mother standing particularly close to a stallion she was only dimly aware of, whose white dragon was quite a bit more familiar, even if she didn't immediately have a name for either.

With a gentle huff and a switch of her tufted tail, Semira walked closer in the wake of her sister, but didn't quite follow entirely. Instead she picked a spot almost immediately before the silver grulla with all the interesting markings - wasn't he one of the Glaziers? - and peered inquisitively at him. Semira chose to remain silent, allowing her sister's question to stand for her curiosity as well.

LACE</style>
Time Flies - Time Dies
Truth like a blazing Fire
</style>

He wasn't sure what he had expected to happen next, but whatever it was the appearance of the twins had not been among the calculations. Warned only by the sudden trilled greeting from Akaith and Fajira, the head of the stallion suddenly jerked up and away from its position on the fragrant rump of his leader, skin burning beneath the dark mask of fur as two very curious fillies crashed the silence. Gilded eyes swept over two pairs of interested eyes, one inquisitive while the other appeared more demanding, decidedly more scrutinizing. The weight of their gazes made the old equine shift uncomfortably, ears twitching nervously atop the poll as he returned their gazes.

"Your daughters, I presume..?" he mumbled from the corner of the mouth to Mirage, not so much in questioning as to get a confirmation. He felt torn between a sudden need to pull away from the warm embrace of the shadow dragon and preserve what little dignity he had left, and ignore the interested look on the girls faces and go back to what he had been doing... Which would be scandalous, to say the least. Would the twins mind him being so close to their mother, would they tell their father, would Mirage move away from him now and break the contact between their bodies? Thoughts reeled through his mind, unsure of which option that would be most unfortunate.

And then it was all brought to a halt, a sudden chilling stop as a single question erupted from the gold-scaled girls maw, innocent as only a child could be but with implications that could go far beyond decency.

"Do you love my mother?"

Was he supposed to answer that? Yes, yes the look in the little half-dragon's eyes was serious and demanding, and suddenly Lace was sweating in the cold winter breeze. A quick glance was thrown at the WeyrLeader whose warmth he still could feel against his rump, somehow able to keep the panic away from the eyes. He couldn't say no. How could he? The intensity of his feelings had long since gone beyond that of simple friendship, far beyond that between a leader and a subject. Already after their first meeting she had intrigued her, and after their long conversation on a storm-struck beach his loyalty and gratitude towards her had been carved in stone. That affection had only deepened as time went by, unbeknown to even himself, until she finally had bridged a distance Lace had been too respectful to cross.

The vague suspicions that had budded as she first embraced him was now bursting into full blossom. Hefty feelings both harsh and sweet and bitter and elating rushed through him, so strong that the crafter had to take a deep breath in order to contain them all. Did he love the girls mother?

"I do" he said with soft voice and managed a kind smile as he looked back at the girl who's name he still didn't know - very, very careful not to look at Mirage, lest she discover just how deep his feelings for her actually was. "She is very important and precious to me, and to the whole of Qian. As are you, little girl, and your sister."

Gently, as though he was tearing himself away, the stallion pulled away from the black mare and opened up a distance between them. It was hard, maybe one of the hardest things he had ever done, but with a firm grip on his own reluctance he still managed a graceful sidestep, shuddering unnoticeable as the wind replaced the warm caress against his skin.

Indeed, he loved Mirage. But with that knowledge also came another, more bitter realization that made Fajira pause in the midst of a dive and quickly veer towards him to fly in a large, comforting loop around his head. He could never have her. It didn't matter how his heart ached and raced at the thought of the two of them together, it was already too late. She belonged to Vikram now, to her children. He neither could nor would want to intrude on what they had together, it wasn't in his nature to sneak around and accept the scraps from others. Lace wasn't one to share, and with that he also resigned himself to a life of watching and wanting something he could never have.

The Store | The Warden