the Rift

[OPEN] a flame that still burns,

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

My name is Itzal the White Tiger, and this is my story.

I was kidnapped by wolves. A unicorn of purple coloration rescued me. I promptly proceeded to enslave said purple unicorn. Her name is Yseulte, but that is entirely irrelevant, because I prefer to call her Butler. She's a fine lady, so far as I can tell, although not good for much (aside from transportation services, punching wolves in the face, and occasionally using her ridiculously long hair as a blanket). Save those few redeeming qualities, she has proven completely useless in the short time she has been employed in my service. I have come to the conclusion that she is deaf, or simply stupid.

Perhaps both.

No matter, I am a patient little tiger. I understand her more than she will ever understand me. Every stray thought that tumbles through her disappointing little mind like a forlorn, windblown leaf is mine. Completely and utterly mine. There is not an idea she forms in her daft little head that I don't know about first, nor is there a stride she takes that I am not with her. She knows it, too, and is terrified by my knowledge of her life, her mind, and more importantly, her past. I can see it in her eyes, the way she looks at me like I'm some sort of horrible monster risen from the cold dead earth.

Perhaps I am, although by a different name.

Zjarri, she often thinks when she looks at me with those cold sapphire eyes, doubting, wavering, wondering if this is what she wanted after all. Perhaps she had asked for too much. Yes, Butler, I am too much. I smirked at this, drinking her fear like a fine red wine, my black lips curling into a sneer as purrs rumbled in my chest like a brooding thunderstorm threatening to lash across the horizon. She never looks into my eyes for very long, for fear she will drown in those violet depths.

But whatever misgivings her heart held about me, it didn't deter her from returning to whatever pitiful dump she had come from. World's Edge, her mind whispered, her heart holding a strange ache for a concept I have yet to grasp--home. Yseulte moved quietly, but slowly. A tortoise I tried to drown earlier (much to my dismay, I discovered tortoises are unable to efficiently drown) could have beaten her twice over in a race. Her once smooth-as-silk gait was marred with an abrupt limp from wounds that were all too fresh--in both her mind and flesh. She could still hear them howling even now, half a year after the fight, could still see the tendrils of white foam swinging from their jowls, smell their sweltering, bloody breath sweep across her face, and feel the flesh rendered from her leg as she fought to protect a small bundle in the snow. Me. Afterwards, they had lain huddled in a cave at the top of the world, shivering, bleeding, and waiting to die.

Such a devoted Butler.

The elegant trees began to thicken, as did the sparkling flakes that floated with easy grace from the pale gray pearl clouds, settling across Yseulte's lavender withers like a magnificent cape fashioned from the finest of white silk, and glittering with the luster of a million diamonds. The shadows deepened and thickened, too, and frost crept across the forest floor to cling to frozen ferns, beading stark, naked limbs bleached a terrifying bone-white. The place was eerily still and quiet, save for the gentle hush of Yseulte's passing grace with me in tow and the incessant buzz of her thoughts humming in my mind. Would they still welcome her? Would the even remember her?

She grew restless and uneasy in the gloom of dusk, and her paced quickened. The snow sighed and murmured as her hooves shattered the fragile delicacy of the unmarred surface, and I could swear the trees whispered. Iceicle wind-chimes tinkled in a frozen breeze and limbs rattled together with the frightening likeness of hollow bones knocked against one another. Light flickered and snapped up ahead and I snarled under my breath in surprise, wondering what the strange red and orange tongues were, and why they licked so fiercely at the cold night air. I reached out to Yseulte's mind, probing curiously there. What I found was more than I expected. Images, both terrifying and beautiful, flickered before me. I could sense the sadness lingering there, tasting both bitter and sweet as she gazed at the flames dancing between the trees. Again, the mysterious pale face of the man with the diamond skin and blue flames wavered before me, and then he was gone, no more than the whisper of a whisper in her mind.

The fires were a welcome sight after trekking throughout the snow for the last few weeks. It was the warm steady blaze of a substance that kept the darkness at bay. Like an old lady with arthritis, she settled down beside the outermost fire with a sigh of relief, her slender, uninjured legs curled beneath her (she held her scarred leg at a careful angle) and her flaxen hair pooled about her slim shoulders and onto the melted snow like molten gold. She glanced at me curiously, wondering if I would join her tonight or if I would attempt to brave it on my own as I often did. After deciding Butler's judgement was probably to be trusted (in regards to the mysterious substance called "fire"), I settled down beside her and found her hair to be a suitable throw-rug. I watched the flames greedily, my violet eyes wide and staring as the tongues of white-hot flame snapped and curdled. So vicious. So deadly. No wonder she associated flames with the mysterious pale man. I could feel Yseulte's gaze on me, sensing her vague amusement at my fascination with fire, but I could also taste flickers of unease dwelling in her careful heart.

Yes, Butler, you should be disturbed.

yseulte & itzal,

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

They are wild together, racing through the new snow under the light of a watchful moon. Like two ghosts, they weave through the trees and dance along the plains of the Edge, content to lose themselves to the eternity that is their life. They know no bounds and no structure; they only know of the happiness that has guided them through the most recent year of their childhood. They have grown close enough to laugh without cause, cry without reason, and smile only because they are one in the same. They are unmarred by the hands of time and secure in their knowledge of the world in which they live.

They are unbroken.

Slender legs break through the current of the snow drifts and shortly in their wake come eager paws, hungry and lively for the cue to continue. They dance in the moonlight like ghosts, one prancing playfully before the other as they move. At times the girl pauses to allow her small companion to perch happily between her toes to breathe, to enjoy the mere comfort of her proximity. They love one another because it is familiar and they feel for one another because it is natural. For a time they rest, simply entertained to watch the curling mists of their warm breath against the cold winter backdrop. However, when the girl is ready, they return to the endless twilight revelry that defines their freedom.

However, it is not long before they are drawn toward the sullen lights of the flames that fill the Edge with friendly warmth. The invitation to its hearth is unmistakable and so the pair resumes their banter until they are but mere feet from the illuminating lights of their desired comfort. The girl trills delightedly to the small wolf pup she now calls Romul before she is suddenly quieted by the presence of yet another. Across the rising flames, her pallid eyes seek out the lavender shades of her unexpected company. She is quiet before them and her face is lit by the heat of the glowing embers that would otherwise create dread in any other setting of Helovia.

Essetia does not approach the older mare but instead calls to her from across the flames. “Hello.” She is shy and unwillingly to approach, but Romul is eager and presses his black nose into her ankle, reassuring and jubilant. When the girl looks down into his dark eyes, she finds immediate comfort in their depths because he is everything that she cannot be. He is brave and proud and dignified while she is shy and thoughtful and at times, wildly adventurous. With Romul’s guidance, the girl and her wolf move closer to the brindled mare and her own strange pet.

The girl had never seen the likes of the small tiger before and while she is curious, she is careful to keep her distance. In the moments that followed, Essetia began to learn why the lavender mare had come to the fire for solace in the first place. She had not been romping in the snow, losing herself beneath the moonlight, no, she was injured… Even Essetia had become familiar with the metallic scent of blood. With another hesitant look to Romul, she swallowed her fear and took another step forward until she was close enough to inspect the wound that was now illuminated heavily by the healthy fire at her back. “Does it hurt?

Her quiet tones were followed by the soft murmuring of Romul who was now more than willing to assist his beloved in her quest to help the broken mare. Their minds were still young, still shaping and forming to the wills of knowledge and so they stayed, hopeful and grateful that they had been the first to discover the broken woman and her tiger. They needed to feel useful now more than ever and so they perched determinedly before the others, curiosity getting the better of them both.
Credits

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity