the Rift

Like a Child

Nihilo Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Nihilo hopped through the snow with a bouncy gait, wondering exactly where he was. Nervousness gleamed in his gray eyes as he scanned the area for any signs of life. The cherry bay colt tossed his head and focused on going forward and finding other horses, if there were any to be found.

He'd been lost for a while; this land was unfamiliar and frightening, especially to a horse like he himself. He hated traveling, but there was no turning back now, now that he was very far from home. Nihilo picked up the pace, swishing his black tail in irritation as hunger pangs continued to give him an empty feeling inside that did not want to be ignored. But he felt that if he stopped to eat, he would let his guard down and something would happen to him.

The colt shivered uncontrollably and stopped trotting. He'd been cold for a long time. Tired, hungry, cold and weak, he looked around. A frustrated expression appeared on his face, as if he was about to have a miniature meltdown. He shook his mane, sending a flurry of powdery snow off of his neck. Nihilo was acting a little childish. That's just how he was.

He looked up at the sky and then at the ground. The ground. Grass. He stared at the gleaming blanket of snow, knowing that food was under it. He took a quick glance around before plunging his muzzle into the snow, to find grass. It tasted sweet. He had missed the great taste of the thin, green blades. The unicorn relaxed, his tail now still, ears calmly facing outwards. He still kept a weary eye on his surroundings, though.

Krypt Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Snow blanketed over the grounds. The dusty stallion had not been use to the ice for quite some time. The shivers continued to run down his back every time even a glimpse of cold had run through him. Trotting through the silent meadows, and white woods. He halted to a stop, his ears flattened. Krypt hated the feeling of cold. Muttering light headed words "Don't like this cold. Just better warm up." Krypt began to move again. Trotting up a hill, he broke into a sprint down it. Towards the Threshold where he would practice his speeds in snow. The snow seemed to slow him down, as it numbed his ankles. The dusty horse's hooves were wet and he continued to slip in the blanket of snow.

He blinked a moment. How could he be so blind? This was not how you moved through snow. He remembered how easy it was to move through sand at top speeds, but this snow was different. So wet and cold, much easier then anything to slip in. He slowed down, and snorted with frustration. I will just have to learn to live with it. The stallions pace now slow, he maneuvered himself to the forest. Nothing more would make him hesitate about entering, and trotting in. Winds were not as strong, but there was more shadows. He smelled the different stale scents of others that had passed through the entrance to the realm. Krypt did not give much time to attempt and recognize any of the scents from his own herd lands. The stallion continued on his way through the woods. Just as he passed by he heard the faint sounds of steps.

Krypt listened until they had stopped, and looked around for signs or signals. Until his sight drifted to the tracks of another person below him. He leaned down, observed, then inhaled the fresh scents of another person. They were close, and Krpyt was most certain it was the stranger who had been passing through the Threshold just now. He raised up, his head high on his shoulders and went on with the trail of snow print tracks. Ending up at the end of this trail was a young colt. Krypt halted and looked down at the colt with a beam of gleam in his eyes. Looking over the colt, he spoke clearly and light hearted as well "Hello." He gave a warm smile to show that he was not threat to the younger stallion.
text text text

"blah blah blah."

Unregistered
Nihilo enjoyed the grass, every single blade. He then heard the voice of another horse, and he froze. His ears flickered back and forth a few times before he slowly raised his head to see the other equine.

The colt looked up at the kind, light-colored stallion before him. Surprised, he backed up a few feet. “Hello,” he responded quietly. A hesitant look flooded his eyes but then dissipated as quickly as it came. An awkward silence lingered in the frigid, crisp air.

He was wondering what to say, what to do. He hadn't seen another horse in so long that he found it hard to gather the courage and the words to form a proper sentence. One ear slid back and the other stayed forward, as he awkwardly tried to figure out what to say, what to ask; he'd never met any horses outside of the herd he used to be in. He backed one more foot up, still attempting to find the right words.

The thoughts “What do I say? Who is he? What do I do?” ran wildly through his mind. “Who is he?” Who is he. He paused and slowly set his eyes on the horse that stood before him. The unicorn took a quick glance around and then asked, “Who are you?” His eyes gleamed slightly as he looked at the stallion, curious of who he was and where he came from. Nihilo wasn't the type that was social, but asking who this guy was wouldn't hurt now, now that he'd been lost for days.

Unregistered

Krypt watched the colt lift up his head and back away in surprise. "Hello" He responded. The dusty stallion stared a little in awe at him. Curiosity flooded, and he wanted so much to ask the colt many things. Krypt tilted his head to the side, and silence emptied the cold and brisk airs. "I hope you're not frightened at all by me. I try to approach careful enough to not make anyone nervous. So, I apologize for that." He gave the colt a friendly and joyful smile. Krypt did not want to make the young unicorn anxious at all. He just wants to meet the fellow. Krypt had his ears up, not caring for the cold. The dusty stallion wanted to know who this stranger was.

“Who are you?” Krypt was not the only one who was curious of the other. This younger one wanted to know who he was as well. Krypt pawed the ground with his hoof and looked up. Sapphire orbs snapped full detention onto the lingering other's eyes. Clearing his throat he gestured "Who am I? Why my name is Krypt. Krypt from the Dragons Throat herd. Who might you be if I may ask? You must have a name, right?" The stallion sure did love to talk or take the lead in things. The Throat stallion rose his tail high in the air in a prideful way. "Like I said before. I'm not here to harm. I'm here to make friends." He offered another smile to soothe any worries this young colt had. Krypt had to also wonder where this stranger had come from to get to Helovia by now. So many questions to ask the young stallion, yet so many Krypt knew he could not have an answer to for now. He continued to hold a gaze on the other with sapphire orbs, watching and waiting with positivity. This stranger must be cold from the starts of Frostfall if he is to survive in this realm he would be needing shelter. Also unaware probably of the dangers that lie ahead for him in the Helovian lands. Krypt might as well offer the chance for this shelter in the Dragons Throat sooner or later. If he turned down the offer that was his problem in the lands alone.
text text text

"blah blah blah."

Unregistered
Nihilo, letting the words sink in, relaxed. The stallion's gentle disposition gave him some relief. “My name is Nihilo.” He said. “That can't be it.. I need to say something else. Socializing is clearly something that I need to work on and master if I am to meet more horses..” He thought as a small, vague frown crept across his face. Then he thought, “'Dragon's Throat.' What is that? A place?”

He then focused his eyes on Krypt once more and asked, “What exactly is Dragon's Throat?” He really wanted to know. Curiosity was flooding through him. Was it a place, a herd, what? Were there dragons here? If so, where could he hide? All the possibilities were flying rapidly through his mind. If it was a place, are there other places? Dumb question. There will probably be other places.

Nihilo didn't quite know what to think. This place was so new, so odd, so different. It was so much different than the mild meadow that his herd was in where he used to live. He wished that he was back there and that he had not run off. But at the same time, a dull pain swept through him mentally.. his herd never stopped him from running off. He dismissed it immediately, not wanting it to bother him.

He then focused back on Krypt, waiting for a response. He wanted to get his mind off of his past, since it would only hurt him. Not being good enough? He'd show his family, starting with this new land, a new life, to make his parents proud, the people who had raised and hurt him.

Unregistered

“My name is Nihilo.” The colt had finally spoke. But Krypt seemed to only smile in return to his small words and peaking silence. This one is silent... "Not much of a talker eh? Don't worry that wont hold you back in the world for sure. I know plenty of people who hardly speak a word at all." Krypt assured him with anticipation in the drapes of his voice. The dusty stallion looked upon him once more and heard him say out loud “What exactly is Dragon's Throat?" it echoed through Krypt's head. His ears twitched slightly in surprise at the question. Who wouldn't know Dragons Throat? "You don't know what the Dragons Throat it?... Oh silly me, of course. You're new to Helovia." He neighed to him in an almost laughing matter.

Sapphire orbs yet again aware of the newcomer before him. He stepped forward in a gesturing way. Krypt speak in a much more calmer and explaining tone to the colt "Dragons Throat is the herd of the desert, really." In a quieter voice he muttered but loud enough for Nihilo to hear. "Much rather be there actually then in this ice and sleet." Just then in coincidence the drooping snow hanging above on a branch slipped down. Rattling the branch little by little and landing right on Krypt's black lined neck. A brisk huff came from him, hot breath slid out of his throat and he hurriedly shook off the pieces of small ice. Looking down at the ground where the remains of what had landed on him now lied, he spoke almost spitting at the sleet with anger "This is what I mean! I would rather be in the cool deserts then stay here in the snow with my hooves wet! Ugh."

Sharply he turned back to the newcomer into Helovia and spoke. Every second his voice turning calmer again. "You are new here, why don't you join me going back to my herd? They would love to meet you and accept you." The frustration of Frostfall had swept away from Krypt's face. Muscles relaxed, he gave a smile to the colt. The dusty stallion inquired adding on "I'm sure you would much prefer the warm deserts then the freezing snow wouldn't you? There will be plenty of food and water in our herd lands if you come with me. Plus... these times are not safe in Helovia." The last sentence was somewhat spoken with mild seriousness inside each word. Krypt couldn't handle imagine someone being stuck in the middle of a war between herds just because they were too cautious or confused to join a side. It could and has happened before, and they have died because of this. So it was all the newcomer's choice, of whether he would rather be like those or join the side that has been offered.
text text text

"blah blah blah."

Unregistered
Nihilo listened to the older stallion's words. “These times are not safe in Helovia.” Those words stayed in his mind for a bit. It would probably be best if he went along with Krypt to meet the herd. Judging from the description of the place, it didn't sound half bad. Especially in frigid ice and snow. “It would be nice to join a group.” He said. It would definitely be better than the herd he was raised in. A small grin appeared on his face.

A bunch of snow snapped off of a black, bare branch and landed right on the unicorn's head. He winced at the cold and shuddered, snorting and shaking his head to get it off. “I'm not liking this place much either, to be honest.” He said. The cold was slowly eating away at him and his stomach was once again making him feel rather empty. Even though he had a thick cherry bay winter coat, it didn't help much.

Yet another question came to his mind. “Are there other places here? What are they like?” He asked, looking up at Krypt with curiosity in his gray eyes. “How come Helovia isn't safe?” He had so many questions. He couldn't help but let his mind wander.

He decided to not ask anything else, thinking that he could possibly annoy Krypt. Nihilo then lowered his gaze to the ground, thinking about how much he'd rather be in the desert at the moment. This is what freedom felt like to him, and he was very much pleased.

Unregistered

"It would be nice to join a group.” Krypt heard as he had just lifted his head up to look for more signs of falling cold snow. In the back of his mind he was still absent-mildly furious with the snow for landing on him. He wavered back to the attention of the young unicorn and exclaimed "Yes it sure is! I can't imagine life without a place I know I could sleep safely." Then Krypt stooped a little rigid as he sensed a grin on the others face. And the small snapping sound of a branch. Then came the normal sound of snow landing on top and Krypt looked to see it had also hit the fellow. “I'm not liking this place much either, to be honest.” As he had shook off the snow. Krypt gave out a amused bellow and spoke "Ya' see! This is what I'm talking about. It really is out to get us or something."

Then came a question from Nihilo. “How come Helovia isn't safe?” The dusty stallion flicked his tail and widened his eyes looking down at the colt. "It isn't something to discuss here my friend. If you come with me to the Dragons Reach me and my brethren will explain the situations." Krypt leaned down, his thick neck extended and in a low voice almost to a whisper he said "You never know who could be listening..." It gave the stallion shivers running down his back. How a Basin horse could some in at the moment and interrupt. It would be horrible and something Krypt would net get over with in seasons. There was silence after that, and although Krypt did feel uncomfortable he lifted his head back high on his shoulders. Silence seemed to had finally wriggled its way back into their conversation, as it echoed away in the forest.

Something now told Krypt what to do. He gave a smile and a nod before inviting. "Nihilo. Would you like to come back with me?" Before an answer could be said, the dusty stallion trotted over to where he had lead himself into the Threshold. The entrance at where he had followed the smaller hoof prints in the blankets of snow. Looking down at them, he could see really the size comparisons between them. Turning his head around he looked at the colt questionably and waited. Krypt was not certain of what he would say, but if he said no then Krypt would leave alone. Yes, and he would be on his way with a new Dragons Throat colt. And if a yes would come he would join the dusty stallion on the trip to the deserts and back to his home lands.

text text text

"blah blah blah."