the Rift

[PRIVATE] Fairy Lights and Silver Nights

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Ktulu's lips pressed together in a thin line at the emotionless mask that came over Lakota's face, acting like a shield so she would not see what was troubling the other mare. She may not have seen all the troubled emotions that had been hidden from her view, but she saw the physical appearance of her dear friend. She saw the way that her hips jutted out from her sides and the hollow spaces between each of her ribs. She looked gaunt and unhealthy, even for the winter. Ktulu knew that she, herself, was not as fit as she normally was during the warmer months. Weight loss was common during Frostfall, but for Lakota to lose so much weight so quickly... she had to have had a headstart. Ktulu didn't like it. She wouldn't accept it. She just wouldn't.

"Don't worry over me, Ktulu. I'm...well...it's complicated."

"I worry over what and whom I choose." Ktulu said as she inclined her head. She watched as Lakota's gaze slid away, the thin line she'd pressed her mouth into now forming a frown. How could she not worry? Her friend's health was in question, but also the health of the herd was. If Lakota was sick then she risked jeopardizing the health of the rest of them. If she was sick and she had something that could not be cured by their healers she could spread it. If it was contagious then Ktulu would have to consider ousting her for the sake of the rest of the herd, but could she do it? Could she kick the closest friend she had to the curb and leave her to fend for herself.

The answer was a simple one.

No. Not with a clear conscience. Not without regret that would haunt her until her dying day.

Thankfully the conversation moved on to talk of loved ones and foals. Ktulu snorted when Lakota called herself a bitch then rolled her eyes. "And I'm not?" The Chieftess questioned. "I've no idea what I did to garner the attentions of the Dragon Throat's General." She shook her head as she thought of Midas. "He is far too good. Far too kind." Her gaze drifted away from Lakota and she stared at the fireflies that drifted into the darkness, but still did not go far. "What does he want with someone so tainted by anger? What keeps him bound to me?" Why do I push him away only to pull him back close again? "Why doesn't he just let go?" Surely he could find someone who would suit him far better than she would. He could find someone that would gift him with the large family that she was sure he wanted, because she was not interested in having more children. Children took a lot of time and a lot of work to raise and keep safe in such a dangerous world. Already she shared a part of her heart with her two offspring that she found difficult and nearly impossible to share with anyone else. She felt in her gut that she was destined to lose one of them and have that part of her heart ripped out and destroyed before her very eyes. How could she have more children knowing that there was the very real possibility that she would watch them die and be unable to save them by taking their place? How could she chance having her heart broken by loss?

It was all a bunch of 'what ifs' but they where what ifs that scared the Constrictor and made her blood run cold.

Lakota's voice became audible once more and broke Ktu from her thoughts. She blinked her crimson eyes then returned her gaze to her poisoner as she spoke so very highly her skills at mothering. In all actuality she was learning as she went and was trusting her instincts when it came to protecting her children. She blinked again when Lakota revealed her equal like for both sexes, surprise visible on her dark face before she schooled it back to its normal impassive expression. "Really now?" Ktulu murmured. "If I didn't know better I'd think you were coming on to me." She said, a hint of teasing in her tone as she spoke.

Ktulu allowed herself to slip into silence and listened to her and Lakota's breathing as they walked and the crunch of their hooves against the snow. She continued to flick her tail back and forth to keep the young cub entertained so he wouldn't grow too weary of their talk. Her head turned as Lakota began to speak again and she soon felt the other mare's bony shoulder pressed against her own more muscular one. She returned the bump and extended her muzzle to push at her thin neck. "My poisoner needs to eat." She said pointedly. "Unless she thinks death by starvation is an honorable death."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Messages In This Thread
Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Lakota - 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Ktulu - 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Lakota - 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Lakota - 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Ktulu - 07-07-2013, 10:50 PM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Lakota - 07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Ktulu - 07-27-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Lakota - 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Fairy Lights and Silver Nights - by Ktulu - 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM