the Rift

[OPEN] Unanswered prayers
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

I drew in a cold ragged breath, my orbs sharpened when they focused on the small inanimate stones that lay in a scattered pile around my feet. One forehoof rose from its held position and gently I tapped the top of one said sandstone—it seemed to tremble, weakly resisting the power which surged from my very shoes. Slowly that dull red color faded from the inside out, and the chemical bonds spun themselves like the threads of fabric into something entirely new. I had just made gold.

My lips curved at one end, a little smugger looking than usual I turned to where my child lay beneath the awning of our old magnolia. It was still early, the sun barely high enough to cast a warm glow across his body; and in Frostfall, none of the herd favored cold mornings. “Cera,” I called softly but with excitable note, “I finally turned the stone.” Fina chirped happy from her branch in the magnolia. In short, this morning was lazy and perfect.

That was until… it came as a whisper, a rare instinct that blossomed into fruitless warnings. The smile that had been creasing faded in an instant into something seriously troubled. I stiffened and turned toward the North as if expecting some overly zestful monster to come flying over the dunes. Suddenly the air grew colder as if all light was being sucked from the very partials…yet nothing had happened. All around us our world seemed to be spinning like normal-- sleepy eyed clanfolk were rubbing their faces against hocks. Fina screeched a moment later, her cry piercingly loud which caused nearby neighbors to glance up with irritated scowls. Something was very, very wrong.

Fear, unexplainable, churned in my belly. I trembled and snarled at the dry wind, “Be on your guard…something is…” It was then that it came, like a cloak or sheet covering the whole sky. The pace change was rapid, our beloved sun vanished, no stars, no moon were left behind. All around me I heard the sounds of my family gasp in terror and turn their faces to heaven for an explanation. It was likely that the whole of Helovia did the same. My wings unfurled as if to send their owner to heaven. Yet, I could not move.

Both golden pools widened in horror, yet to say that it was wholly because of the darkness would be a lie. My knees trembled as magic began to leave this body. Magic that made me the son of sand, the earth bender, and gave a golden touch. It drained as the light did, fading into nothing—until I felt as empty as a vessel no longer fit to hold water. Lungs constricted and suddenly I felt as if drowning in a pool of nothing, head lowered painfully and my sides heaved. Fina thrashed and fell to the ground, her fire fading as my magic had. Nothing would remain I realized, it was going to take everything from us.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

A sound, almost like some baritone brass instrument trumpeted across the lands. Its caller, the primitive stallion Gaucho, was racing - half galloping and half flying - as swiftly as he could. His stormy gaze was steely, revealing no fright, only forceful determination. His long half-flighted gait, allowed him to cover the ground more quickly even though his sight had grown short with the blackening of the sky. In his antlers, Mara clinged on, hissing warnings as her reptilian gaze surveyed the land. Gaucho's legs had already begun to ooze blood from small cuts and scrapes, as not all obstacles in his path had been avoided. Yet his pace never slackened, nor did his ragged breath grow weary.

On patrol, Gaucho's watchful eyes had seen the sky blacken, at the same moment as a chill struck his soul. Instinctively, he knew the dark magic within his breast was simply gone, and assumed (rightfully) that it had to do with the darkening of the heavens. Without a thought, the bay turned on his heels and began racing towards locations where he thought he might find My-dus.

"MY-DUS" Gaucho bellowed, once the paint came into view. Sweat poured from Gaucho's flanks and between his thighs, having run almost the entire length of the Throat. Even on this chilly Frostfall morning, the Throat was still unmistakably warmer than the rest of Helovia. The dark hair around Gaucho's eyes were made even darker and larger by the sweaty patches there, as well as between his ears and neck, from where his thick, glossy mane heavily matted. Nostrils flaring, the bay's large wings were thrown to the sides to halt his momentum, as his antlered brow tossed into the air.

"My-dus" He panted heavily, looking down upon his general. "Sky is ....dark. Magic gone." He breathed, forcing the words out between gasps of air. "Gaucho patrol. See no one."

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Valentine Posts: 203
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 12
teeroo

V A L E N T I N E

This fantasy, this fallacy, this tumbling stone
Echoes of a city that's long overgrown,

Your heart is the only place that I call home,
I cannot be returned.

Trembling feeling that the darkness brought left a whole in the heart of the one with one on his side. The place where his crafting magic had been was empty too. The Gods had gone, taking it upon themselves to offer the world a sacrifice. Valentine was a lost soul, traveling about while his favorite females stay behind. He was an Artisan, one that had connections to Kri and those that are of other high rank. Though he had just returned, he still did not know a lot of whom gave his home land life. He would meet with them, discuss this, but it was something they all needed to know, if they had not seen it themselves. The gods were gone, and who were they to look up to now? He did not know that the God's had each had a child of their own, and that they were in charge of keeping the lands safe.

It was with a heavy heart that he moved through the sweeping desert in darkness, trying to find one that would understand. The light from the fires of the Sun God burned brightly, but still some places where covered in shadow. And there was a pegasus, collapsed on the ground, with a beautiful bird at his side. But there was another, one that he had seen before, and had even fought with. It was that big brutal with the antlers, and now he had a snake wrapped around him. How interested. He called him "My-dus" in a weird way, but he guess that if put in perfect terms meant Midas. And his own name was Gaucho? He did not know that, but now he did. Knowing both their names would save time, and he walked over to the two figures, hoping to talk to at least one, for the other sounded like he had trouble speaking properly.

"Excuse me, Midas and Gaucho. I am Valentine, an Artisan of the Throat. The Gods are gone, and with them they have taken their magic, leaving us alone in the dark, with only strange trees growing along the pathways. I watched them as they disappeared into a hole in the Thistle Meadows, but I'm not sure why this happened. Who is it that you are Midas, as I've met Gaucho once before for a battle, and do you know where Kri or Sumati are, either of you?"

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits
I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

The morn is crisp, and cold. All that greets the desert dwellers is the roseate hue of the dawn light, spilling out onto the pale canvas of sand like the cusp of water within a pitcher pushed too far. It dances in gentle rays across the lidded eyes of the sleeping inhabitants, for who would wish to open weary eyes to face the glowing sun, when it is still so fiercely cold around them? They would rather remain in the warm embraces of their loved ones, wait until the earth was flooded with further warmth before rousing themselves. Had they known what was to come, would they have risen long before the natural birds of the world had spotted the glow upon the horizon? Drunk up every spare moment the Sun Lord had gifted them in his struggle with his brethren for the welfare of those who disregarded their efforts that very day? Would the Gods ever forgive them for their ignorance and easy mannerisms?

I could not sleep well that night, plagued once more by the discomfort of leaving behind my precious family in a world so far from my reach. Something...something told me that somebody needed me. Somebody I could not reach. All night I had tossed and turned, Hototo's and Ranjiri's names upon my lips. I rested in the predawn sunlight only because I was far too tired to summon the strength to face another full day. Why stir and bring my visage to the eyes of others only half-awake and likely not in the best of moods? I wasn't one to believe in beauty sleep, after all what did I care for looks? Even so I still found it more respectful to face another being with a clear head and calm internal balance. I knew Father had risen earlier than I, heard him moving about and felt his familiar warmth leave my side. The drape of his wing had shielded me from cold that my body did not agree with. He, despite being shorter than I would soon reach, was better equipped for the cold due to his stoutness and well earned muscle. I on the other hand was naught but a twig, much to my chagrin. Even Toto had a larger frame than I did, though I knew better by know than to envy him. We were simply who we were, there was nothing to be jealous of.

When at last I cracked my eyes open to greet the morn, I saw from the hanging boughs of our magnolia tree my father, tapping his golden walkers against the ground, reveling in his new magic. Ilaria shifted beneath my wing but remained in slumber, and I did not move for fear of waking her. Instead I watched my father through an exhausted face, wishing my slumber had been more restful. My name was called softly, excitedly, and I gave a soft giggle as I answered his call. "Has it finally turned, father? How long have you been working?" Teasingly I spoke, knowing he had been diligently working with his new magic to try and harness a power he could not control. Harmless, and yet beautiful. Ilaria is risen by his vocals and Fina's comforting trill, and I lift one whitening wing to view her yawn as she shifts beneath the canopy I have created over her. It is how we always sleep- Fina curled in a glowing ember in a branch high above, Father sheltering me beneath his wing against his side, and Ilaria in the same position I occupied in our group. Honey eyes met mine as she blinked sleepily, tiny mouth yawning once again. Carmine and ebony furred bodice came wriggling out, padding on tiny paws towards my chest as I rolled to my shins.

I was only just pressing my pale hooves to the sand when I felt it. It came swiftly, sent shudders of unknown fear down my spine as it passed. The skies shifted and quaked as if in some ethereal tug of war, and as I watched I knew in the pit of my soul that something was terribly wrong. Raised with such loyal faith towards the Lords and Lady that sheltered us beneath their awesome power, I turn my heart to them before anyone else, and my faith in them swells inside me like an uncontrollable storm. I don't know what's going on, but I support you. I'm not much, but please, take what you can of me. I need you, we all need you, please, don't let whatever this is tear you from us! In my fear my heart pounds as swiftly as a racing river, and in an instant I call a sharp command to Ilaria. Racing up the hard fores of my wing she is upon my spine, and I am deaf to my father's words. Something is wrong wrong wrong.

The world goes dark.

I watch Fina tumble from the sky, watch her fire disappear into nothingness that envelopes the earth. Hear my father hit his knees, the labored breaths he sucks into his lungs. I am terrified. No, no, no! YOU CAN'T TAKE THEM FROM ME! Like an unstoppable tide I am racing towards them, gaze blind but uncaring. "FATHER! I am scared, so scared. Don't leave me alone! I am back to that terrified little colt lost in the desert, hungry and cold, waiting to be found, wondering why I was left so defenseless and alone. I am not the only one to race towards his figure, and I burst through the blossomless boughs, uncaring as they scratch my face and snag in my mane. The bellow of another stallion echoes, and I slide to where I last saw my father before the sky went dark. I feel his wing first, and with that I am reassured that he is still with me on the mortal plane, that I am not abandoned. He is unmoving, and I cannot feel what he does, cannot fathom what it feels like to lose the essence of a god itself. I have no magic, I cannot feel the pain he feels. Instead I position myself at his forefront, standing directly ahead of him, backing myself until my right flank is pressed to his left shoulder. There is an unknown brute approaching, a bellow in his throat as he dictates my father's name, and a protectiveness has roared in response like a lion in my soul. I lift my massive wings, knowing I am earthbound but ready to feel out in the vague light whomever charges us, to shake the earth with my rage should he come with an intent to harm.

The stranger stops quickly, drenched in sweat and panting, and though I do not know his name- something he is quick to rectify- he is familiar to me. Father and this stag have often patrolled and sparred together, after all. My wings do not lower themselves, the fire that is sure to be glowing in my eyes unquenched. But I shift my right wing to no longer block my father's face from view, allowing him to answer his underling at his leisure. I will not be moved, will not be shifted away, for I am a stone guardian and I will not allow harm to befall my family. Why Father and I have suddenly traded places is beyond me, and where this desire to crush and deter all who wish pain upon is came from is again far from my grasp. I do not question it. Another approaches, but the unnatural darkness makes me wary, for any features I could have discerned are hidden. When he speaks I recall Valentine, the other Artisan from when I had first met my mentor Sohalia. I do not move my tense posture, just as I had not when Gaucho had appeared. Hearing of the Gods falling makes my heart ache, yet I refuse to let loose the keen that bubbles in my throat. Ilaria does so for me, crying out her loss of our Father who had cemented our bond, and echoing the wail that I kill in my vocals.

He does not know who his own General is? I have never used this to my advantage, never really seen the option at all, but I answer before my father can. To me it is disrespectful, a blow to the power he holds. Had he not attended any of the herd meetings? Let my father talk to the kinder of the two, it seems. At least I know Valentine. "My father is the General, and we have been here all morning. Kri and Sumati's whereabouts are unknown to us." It is all I offer, all that I will. I press closer to my father, raised wings shielding him, and I mentally order Ilaria to find Fina. She leaps from my back to race down my wing, touching Midas gently before using him to slide to the earth once more in search of her winged sister. I watch the other two warily. We may be brethren of the desert, but in this land of darkness, my father is the only one who means something to me.

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

I could hear them screaming their pitiful cries, shouts for gods and man alike to save their asses from an untimely doom. My family wept for guidance, or possibly they screamed for salvation as the rapturing night stole every ounce of light, every molecule of good. It left nothing salvageable in its wake, only this forsaken hollow emptiness. These new confides are unfamiliar and strange, it was as if my beloved birthplace had suddenly grown foreign--closing itself around me until I was very nearly claustrophobic. I was a creature of the light and earth. A living, mortal being that relied upon our mighty star and the soil beneath my feet. Now, very close to falling forward, my breath is hitching as I suck up great mouthfuls of air. A vain attempt to steady raw nerves. Passively my eyes slide close, their only defense against this new world that had been flung into oblivion.

Closing them didn’t really help, in fact it almost made things worse. I felt my magic take a final heave, painfully it was ripped from the soul which had held it all these years; and a final stroke of light faded in the distance. Fina’s screams of terror, or perhaps agony, still lingered in the airspace and traveled brutality through our bond link until I could physical experience each of her pains as the fire within that proud breast died. Nothing would remain.

I gasped her name, roughly and incomprehensible. This had all happened in a matter of moments, it takes those passing moments for me to realize that the scream I had heard was Cera calling out to me. Something…is pressed against my shoulder, ebony muzzle lowers hesitantly; running into a rump. By scent alone I knew it was him. My child. I can feel his flesh quiver and this relives me to know that he is safe. For at least a time. Slowly I steady my stance and blink both eyes open, straining to see him before realizing that no amount of staring would do me or him any good.

Another cry comes, “MY-DUS,” muscles grow tense and every hair on my body stands upright. They needed me to be ok. This was why I had been given the duty of General. If I buckled now, everyone would…I would fail them. All of them! But…I trail off thought—as a child might. Where are the stars? My eyes train upwards expecting to see them and find nothing but black. Suddenly a sound that reminds me of a dragons roar rumbles the ground beneath our feet and a burst of light appears from the North. The sanctuary of our sun lord had erupted into a brilliant show of fire; filling the emptiness with a pillar that went straight into heaven.

We are cast in a soft orange glow that is both warm and for these few seconds an immense comfort. Now that it is light enough for my orbs to capture enough vibrancy for the painful chore of seeing; I notice that in front of me stands a brilliantly posed warrior; and for a moment I don’t recognize his fierce stance and wings. Another stands ahead of him, Gaucho. Panting, likely having just flown from the outer lands. He addresses me, eyes brimming with expectations that I would know exactly what to do.

Yep.

I straighten subconsciously, realizing that the warrior which stood ahead of me was not just any paint stallion. It was Cera. His wings kept part of my body from view, they are spread between me and all that would come—he gave me my privacy and dignity in those weak moments. Ilaria touches my side, a comforting caress, though I can hardly realize it when she slides away all ghost like to find a still thrashing Fina.

Another had come, a crimson horn upon his brow. I do not recognize this particular son of desert sand. Before I could utter a single word to any that held this party. The stranger lips words that would explain this tragedy and succeed in parting yet another unbecoming gasp from my façade which was slowly turning from fearful to stony. He seemed to know my name, though was ignorant of the title it carried and given that Gaucho had just yelled it to the whole of Helovia, the fact that he knew my namesake wasn’t’ surprising. The unicorn was also aware of our Sultanas. Kri and Sumati. He even claimed to be our Artisan.

Now certainly wasn’t the time for us to be questioning one another, but the ease by which this man spoke unsettled me. He simply stated facts as if predicting the weather; I snorted, which was rude and less than what I would usually offer company. But today wasn’t exactly turning into a good day. Cera spoke before I could, his dropped voice rising accusingly into the air—actually being more tactful than I would have been. One inhale later my lips move to speak, all emotion is gone—I mask it to hide the fear of what we just learned, “My brother,” gaze turns to address the base dun, “Go find a party of our most fit soldiers, have half patrol the boarder—I want no one to enter the desert who is not of the herd until Kri or Sumati has given a clear command that we are to let outsiders in.”

My gaze shifts to the oasis that is dipped in orange light, “Chose a leader for the rest, one of our other sergeants will do; send them to calm our kin—let them know that everything is alright. Tell them…” I pause, pulling words out of the space between my legs to somehow get control of this situation, “Tell them to gather around the pillar of fire, the Sultanas will likely call a meeting there.” Turning back to him I add with firmer note, “If you run into any problems along the wall, report it as soon as possible to myself or our Sultanas.”

Both pools shift to the creature called, Valentine, “I’ll help you search, we must share this information immediately to prevent a panic.” Nodding towards the pillar I said, “Go to the pillar of light, and tell all that you run across exactly what you’ve just told me. We will,” (and by we I meant myself and Cera.) Shifting toward the opposite side which was dark in the distance, “fly toward the ocean and look among the dunes for stranglers that might be having problems—perhaps one of our leaders is still lingering near the water.” Though it was doubtful; they likely would fly towards the light, like a moth—or simply a scared Pegasus. I guessed that Ilaria had found Fina, her screams had ceased—she appeared at least slightly calmer. Though even now questions are trailing in, frustration and above all. Fear.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

If Gaucho was capable of expressing complex emotions, he would have done so right then and there to Midas. He was, in his own simple way, always appreciative of how quickly Midas had altered his speech, to address the bay in simple ways he would understand. He hadn't bothered philosophizing with the brute about why the lights had gone out - he had simply given him a task. Midas never chastised him about his speech, or obvious statements as others did, but simply took advantage of the skill set that Gaucho did possess, and used it for the betterment of the Throat.

Gaucho's stormy gaze was unwavering as he listened with rapt child-like intent upon Midas' every word. "No one" he repeated gravely, with a decisive nod of his antlered brow. Mara hissed faintly, as if to say she would do her part, but did not move from her place in Gaucho's antlers. The lack of sun, was wreaking havoc on her cold-blooded body, and all of her energy was being used to sap as much heat as she could from Gaucho. Although he had considered leaving her near the fire, Mara had swiftly let him know her thoughts on that, by biting him on the neck. She would remain with him, even if it meant her demise.

Without another word, or acknowledgement of the others, Gaucho spun with an odd grace upon his haunches, and set off at a dead run, leaping into the air once he had gained enough speed. He angled his body to increase his climb, and was soon high above , and off to follow his orders.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Valentine Posts: 203
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 12
teeroo

V A L E N T I N E

This fantasy, this fallacy, this tumbling stone
Echoes of a city that's long overgrown,

Your heart is the only place that I call home,
I cannot be returned.

Within moments of my words sinking in, the General is on his feet, sounding orders to the ears of Gaucho and myself. A warrior's tone is taken, flowing from his maw as he tells of the Sultanas and what we should do during this time. What he said was logical, and it was what I would have done if I was in this situation. I am no warrior, and I am also not one to argue. Midas is strong, and though I know many of us are religious, including myself now, it hurts to have them gone. Within the few moments the great stag and his snake leave, leaving only myself to listen to the pegasus general. The child of his talks greatly of him, and I can tell that they have the bond of father and son. I don't doubt for a second that this child is his, no even thinking about it. I feel myself jaded, and I realize that seeing it with my own eyes was better than having no seen it. I said it with such a cold statement on my lips, for I was trying to keep myself strong, but it must have sounded wrong. I look apologetic now, and I speak before I take my leave, following his orders precisely.

"Thank you General. Before I leave, I'd like to say I'm sorry for my tone of voice. The God's leaving is no small matter, but I am trying to keep calm. I shall find everyone I can and tell them of the news. This is not something to take lightly, and we know not what this will bring upon us. May the God's last actions bless us in this time, and you yourself General Midas."

With that, I turn my grey body into the darkness, traveling on quick black hooves into the sandy night. When this ends, I don't know, but I hoped it would end quickly. The dangers lurking around us in these times might be too much for us to handle, and we might not be able to last long.

OCC: This sucks so hard, I'm sorry

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits
I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598