the Rift

[Asylum] Lost in the present

Sonya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Blearily, eyes fluttered open. Her vision was blurred for a few moments and so the young mare used her other senses to work out what was going on around her. Her left side was being tickled by the familiar texture of grass. However it was quite patchy, and she could feel other more uncomfortable objects pressing to her side like twigs and even the scratch of a jagged leaf edge. The sound of chirps and caws created a raucous above her. Twitching the ear that wasn't pressed against the cool floor, the grulla mare confirmed that the noisy flying creatures were all around her, swooping from one side to another without a care in the world. Through her distorted sight she could see that many tree trunks before her, standing tall with pride. In addition to this she felt quite damp. The side against the cold, hard ground felt like a puddle where as the other side felt like there was just a layer of something settling there. As her brown eyes came into focus, the mare cautiously rolled over, gathering her hind legs up. Forest debris clung to the side that had been squashing it against the floor, leaves and twigs entangled in her dirty, silver strands of hair. Gazing around, she took in as much of the view as she could. She was on the edge of a wide, beaten path. Turned out it had snowed whilst she was laying there, and her wet pelt was a result of it melting on her body. No one seemed to be in the immediate vicinity although there were many equine scents hanging in the air, some with an odd twist to them that indicated they were a subspecies of sorts. Nothing seemed familiar to her. Maybe she had got her in the dark? It was the only logical explanation to the mare at this time. It would explain everything. She must have fallen asleep.

Lowering her head to the floor the mare, whose name is Sonya, tried to figure out what had happened. Casting her mind back she tried to think about how she got her. A frown was soon creasing her forehead. No memories, not even a trace of some distorted image or sound came into her mind. Her ears jammed back against her skull, and within a few seconds she was up on all four hooves. A quiet groan escaped her pursed lips, every fibre in her body suddenly feeling fatigued as though she had just run a marathon. Shaking her head violently, as though trying to clear her mind, the panicked grulla mare tried to form some sort of timeline in her mind. Where she had been before, who she was with, what she had been doing and how she got here... Despite all her attempts nothing came forward. It was like someone had entered her mind and erased every detail. Some things she remembered. She knew her name was Sonya, she was pretty sure she was just three years old and she was positive that she was in a forest. But other things... They were gone. She didn't remember what this land was, if she was born here, if she had lived here or even if she belonged here. Nothing was familiar and she felt scared. Her muscles were tensed beneath her summer coat (unknown to her, in the land she had left it had been the peak of the hottest season of the year). She barely felt the cold now, and even the uncomfortable sensation of being pretty soaked was starting to go unnoticed in her fear of being so... well, ignorant. She didn't know anything about this place. For all she knew there could be a danger right around the corner. Her breathing quickened in pace as she stared wildly around her praying for some sort of saviour to appear and tell her what the hell was going on.

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
I was, yet again, in this forest of secrets. How many new creatures had wandered into this land with such an uncertainty about their future? How many had I passed that might actually fit into this little herd of mine? It was quite unfortunate that I might have missed someone who would be perfect. But, alas, I had to study them well before I ever emerged from the endless amount of shadows this land had procured for me. It was lovely, really, being able to hide forever in these shadows and keep to myself. But one is never to themselves. We have gone over this, mein puppe! tsked Schwere's voice as I continued to float across the terrain, cautious steps ensuring that I didn't step upon too many branches and allow them to crack.

What was that? In the distance? It looked as though there was another equine bumbling around in the distance. Or no. It wasn't even walking, it was laying in the ground. Why on earth? It was freezing outside, and staying still was not about to help anyone's cause. Perhaps it wants to die... came Unheil's voice, forever laughing in my face. Oh. Sweetie. You should check on her! came Innerste's silken chords as I continued to stay hidden in the shadows even longer. If she wanted to die I wasn't about to save her sorry ass. She could go die - it didn't effect me at all.

And then, the mare was stumbling to her feet, ears instantly pinning tightly up against her cranium. Oh. So she had some spunk in her? I could definitely agree with this. I began to pull myself from the shadows, having no desire at the moment to instill anymore fear into her heart. A groan escaped her maw before a violent shaking of her head. Her eyes were panicked - I could tell. But, from what I didn't know. And then, her coat looked shiny and thin, as though it was meant for the summer. "Someone looks a little out of place..." I chided, tilting my cranium to the side, the crystalline horn deflecting the amber light from the lanterns swinging ever so slightly from the dead wind that was circulating through the land.

A tiny laugh escapes my maw as I hear Innerste again, Oh! Be nice! But I am incapable of really being nice. I shift a little closer to her as her breathing quickened. "It's winter, mein kleine. And you seem to be lacking the correct form of protection for this cold. You cannot last too long on your own, in this state at least." I warn her, a smirk upon my face. Consonants sharp and obvious proof that I was of some foreign descent, even though my soprano chords made it seem as though I was full-bred in a sweet layer that made me seem innocent. But I was far from innocent. Yellow orbs were locked upon the mare, that hint of blood-thirst always lurking the black depths of the pupil's as the orbs shone with enjoyment of (hopefully) finding a new member to add to our lovely little brigade. "Would the kleine like a home?" I offer, swishing my tail just lightly enough to flick the foliage from my tail before shaking my head and letting out a small tsking noise. "One should learn to take deep breaths in the sign of danger. You wouldn't want to pass out, now would you?" I teased, another laugh escaping my maw.

"Now, how about you tell me about yourself? My home is for those of a misfit nature..." I instructed, awaiting a response from the panicked mare before me.

630 words
@[Sonya] and a link to The Asylum
You can post there with what you'd prefer Sonya goes into since we know she's coming with us ;3
SEELE
Credits
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Unregistered
It was not long before the young essa was trembling, both from her fright and the frigid atmosphere that was starting to gnaw at her bones. She noticed the effect the season here was having on her but with her mind in turmoil she didn't exactly feel it. Her priorities were not about the snow killing her slowly. The rising of vapour before her eyes every time she exhaled was starting to become irksome to the uneasy mare because it obscured her sight for a few seconds, which did nothing to sooth her distress, and just as it cleared she would breath out again. In a soft but cold gust of wind, a new scent was blown toward the frozen mare. It was fresh and had that odd twist that indicated the creature wasn't an equine as she was, but rather something merely related to the horse. Flicking her tail anxiously, Sonya soon heard the approach of this unidentified animal. Eyes snapped to the source of the sound, shying back and to the side by a few steps. Her eyes flickered to and fro in the general vicinity of the noise until the unicorn came into sight. A comment reached her perked ears, her curiosity spiked despite everything that was going on. Sonya swallowed but didn't speak. The comment wasn't exactly friendly and besides, she was more interested in the horn and hooves of this strange. They were glass, or at least they looked like that. Sonya had never seen a creature as magnificent as this, and it made her inquisitive and for just a few seconds she could forget her terror as the two watched each other, observing from afar. The silver dapple was not sure what this creature was, only that she was oddly coloured and had a horn stuck on her head. Other than that, she was clearly a mare. At the sound of a faint chuckle, the grulla lowered her ears slightly, uncertainty stirring. Was this female friend or foe?

Fearfully remained where she stood the essa turned her head slightly to eye the approaching figure, more afraid than intrigued by this point. Sonya seemed to withdraw into herself. If it was possible to see someone's personality, confidence and their ego in the form of some sort of bubble around them, this mare's presence was so small it barely covered the ground she stood on. The caution given to her caused concern to grow on Sonya's face slightly, but she remained quite unresponsive for the most part after this. The stranger's tongue whipped out the syllables into the air, and the foreign phrase was completely new to Sonya. At least as far as she aware she didn't know it. Discovering new found stress the grey mare decided not to reply to the words of wisdom. The smirk that accompanied them also scared her, and her throat felt dry with the chilled air that entered her lungs. This mysterious mare frightened her. Her eyes seemed to long for blood to be spilt, and her voice sounded strict, unwelcoming. Just as Sonya was starting to form a judgement about this unfamiliar lass she was offered a home. In complete shock her eyes merely widened, gazing at this mare with a little bit of hope entering her eyes. Hope. Something she'd been praying for had become a reality. Maybe the gods were looking after her after all. This horned equine seemed to be happy to offer her a home. Slowly Sonya nodded to confirm that she needed a place to live, still choosing to remain silent. Her nostrils were quivering. A home would be good but it made her think again. Did she already have a home? What was it like? And then on top of these questions, Sonya wanted to know what home this seal bay femme could give her. The bay was speaking once more within a matter of minutes. The tsking that accompanied the new sentence... it was motherly. For some reason Sonya felt a pain in her chest as she associated this mare's actions with being maternal. Her head shot up in surprise, taking a step back as though she had physically been pushed. Putting the sharp sensation down to the cold air starting to affect other internal organs, she spoke for the first time in spite of her nervousness. "N-no... I w-wouldn't..." her words were stuttered, her fear affecting her speech as much as the subzero temperatures.

Her breath caught as the mare enquired into the life Sonya had lived. What could she say? Foolishly the grulla had hoped that some information would have leaked back into her skull by now. But no. Her mind was as stubbornly silent as ever. Opening her mouth she waited for a few seconds before closing it again. She shook her head slightly, turning her head away from this stranger. She didn't want to waste this mare's time but maybe she would be suitable for this home the mare offered. "I-I don't kn-ow. My... my name is Son-ya but I... I don't-t... remember any-thing else..." Her broken voice was a little bit difficult to understand, her panicked and chaotic emotions evident in her tone. She wished she could have given the mare something more, however there was nothing else she could say that would be totally truthful and honest. She simply didn't know anything else.

@[Seele]

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
And she was afraid. Already. Good. At least she had some normal senses in her body. One should be afraid when I am warning of nightmares lurking and waiting to attack. I was not one to be trifled with. Nor was I one to be clung to like a savior. I did not offer these beings a home to make friends. I offered this home to strengthen us so that we could build our army and take over a land to gain power.

So, after I was certain she had been scared as much as I had desired I switched over to offering her a home - a protection from these horrors which I had spoken of. Shock seemed to widen her eyes as she looked at me horribly confused. What? I wasn't joking around! I was honestly offering a home to the bumbling mare who was completely and totally lost. The mare's head shot up in surprise and took a step back. Reallly? Really!? We had to start getting afraid.

She better not pass out on me. I don't wanna deal with an unconscious mare. I really don't. She mumbled the words of proof that she didn't want to pass out either and then I watched as her breath caught in her chest. You ask too much too soon. Innerste chided, but again I ignored her. It really didn't matter to me. I needed to know who I was bringing into my home. Was that so bad?

The mare offered her name, and claimed she couldn't really remember anything else. Oh. How she needed to stop stuttering! It was getting slightly annoying. "Well, Sonya. Come. Movement will aid in warming up your bones and hopefully stop this incessant stuttering. You will fit just fine, especially if you really cannot remember. Everyone here has something that is a little screwed in the head - but we are a family because of it. I am Seele, a co-leader of The Asylum." I explained, shoving my maw into her side to force her to start to move. "Come on. It is a little bit of a trek toward our home, if you so wish to join us. Otherwise, I will drop you off at the border of this threshold so you can search out a home on your own." I finished, swishing my tail before beginning to lead her toward where the Asylum was located.

Hopefully we had a new recruit...

405 words
@[Sonya]
thread done with your closing post?
and i'll post for you to be changed to outcast/see the Asylum board <3
SEELE
Credits
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Unregistered
The strange essa before her did not seem to have any qualms about frightening Sonya, in fact she seemed satisfied with her response. Ears twitching the fearful lass watched every response the stranger made because it was the only thing she could think to do. It was instinctive behaviour. If her brown eyes left the unicorn for even a second anything could happen. At least that's what she believed in her messed up head. Maybe it was some defensive mechanism in place in her mind or maybe her loss of memory had brought her right down to the basic levels of survival. All she knew was that every fibre in her body was alert to everything. The darkness did not help matters much. Everything seemed creepier in the darkness and Sonya's personality didn't really fit in with the dark any way. She a lighter creature even if she had no memory of the torments of her past.

Slowly pushing the pain that shot through her to the back of her skull, she could do nothing but stare a little sheepishly at the unicorn. Her reaction was not in response to anything the mysterious femme had done but there was no way Sonya felt that she could explain this with embarrassing herself and coming across as completely stupid. She didn't want to be the village idiot of the home this helpful yet frightening mare offered her. It would make it seem as though she didn't understand what was happening when she did, and the grulla mare was very grateful for it. This new land was strange and scary to her for more reasons that the typical ones. Being offered a home straight away meant the change a little bit easier to cope with. Her tail flicked some snow off of her sides as she waited for any further dialogue from the bay, and when it came she listened intently.

So this mare's name was Seele then, Sonya thought. She was glad to be able to associate a name to someone, to take up a little of the empty space in her brain. Somehow it made her feel more secure. She also felt more secure with the knowledge that the other equines of the herd, or family as Seele called it, were in a similar situation to her. With a bit of luck the grey pelted horse would fit in very well. "Th-thank you Seele" she murmured quietly, responding quickly to the feeling of being shoved. She started to walk despite the ache in her limbs. She just hoped the trek wasn't too far to her new home.

@[Seele]
Wrapped up quite nicely with this post I think. Thank you!